Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Arist posted:

The single handheld shot in this film was so perfect I wanted to cackle.

Which shot was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mons Hubris posted:

Which shot was that?

Right after the will is read, when Marta is swarmed by the family as she retreats to her car, the camerawork becomes incredibly shaky and chaotic, a notable departure from the otherwise meticulously steady shots that make up the rest of the film. It calls attention to itself, but it works so well that it becomes a comedic bit in its own right.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Fiitingly, its also when Jacob is recording Marta getting chased off, which I presume is how the press found Marta in the first place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Second, I would absolutely see another Benoit Blanc mystery.

1000% down for this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really, really enjoyed this movie, and thirding that I would for sure watch The Benoit Blanc Mysteries all day long.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Saw this last night and loved it, it makes an excellent companion piece to Parasite imo. The Gravity’s Rainbow exchange made me lose my poo poo.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

Really, really enjoyed this movie, and thirding that I would for sure watch The Benoit Blanc Mysteries all day long.

Haven't even seen the movie but, "Bond is Boring. Benoit Blanc is what it's at" needs to be a slogan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fadam posted:

Saw this last night and loved it, it makes an excellent companion piece to Parasite imo. The Gravity’s Rainbow exchange made me lose my poo poo.

I thought it was a good companion piece for Ready or Not.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think a real interesting part of the movie was how the first Trump conversation sort of breaks the reality of the movie and re-contextualizes how we view the family. The line about the house being like a Clue board is correct. The whole feel of the film initially is very anachronistic. Detective Blanc is described as the last of his kind. But the Trump conversation brings these heightened characters back to our reality. It makes them seem more dangerous.

I also like the reveal that the house was bought in the 80s.

Loved the movie, "...because you're an rear end in a top hat" is a masterpiece of a line.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 1, 2019

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Really liked the movies, lead to a few theories but it all felt like The old man being alive but that wouldn't be satisfying, but it all turns out to be a coincidence was great.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I didn't like TLJ and wasn't excited about going to see this, but I did enjoy this movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This was loads of fun. I never know what to spoiler in these situations, just, the mystery is very well constructed while not seeming to follow a rote pattern either.

Toni Collette I think is my favorite performance. Her doing a Gwyneth Paltrow riff was inspired.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fadam posted:

Yeah I cracked up at that part, that was beautiful

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Femur posted:

Really liked the movies, lead to a few theories but it all felt like The old man being alive but that wouldn't be satisfying, but it all turns out to be a coincidence was great.
I don't think coincidence is the right word for what happened.

I will say it is interesting to unpack that as decent as Harlan is, he essentially dies out of his relentlessness in being a white savior to Marta. The film isn't trite enough to imply that he's on the same level as his Trump-ish children, nor but does it ignore that giving Marta is a net good even if we can unpack Harlan's actions, but as Blanc says, he dies because he won't just listen to Marta.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 1, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

I will say it is interesting to unpack that as decent as Harlan is, he essentially dies out of his relentlessness in being a white savior to Marta. The film isn't trite enough to imply that he's on the same level as his Trump-ish children, nor but does it ignore that giving Marta is a net good even if we can unpack Harlan's actions, but as Blanc says, he dies because he won't just listen to Marta.

On that note, I think it's an important subcurrent that no one in the family actually listens to Marta, she's literally a prop to them, from being called into the political conversation just so the Trumpist can make a point, to having the Nazi kid sneer things at her, to everyone mis-identifying where her family is from, to her not being invited to the funeral despite a majority of them privately assuring her they voted to let her come. Meg is the only one of them who actually seems to see Marta as a person, and as soon as she gets in trouble, she ditches Marta immediately.

Just got back from seeing it. This was an outstanding movie. I grew up on '70's Poirot movies, '80's Jeremy Brett Holmes episodes, and Columbo, and absolutely every part of it - down to the cast placards that started the credits - felt like they were naturally part of that same set. Except that every time the movie started to wind itself up just a little and maybe start to get up its own rear end, unlike the aforementioned shows which just reveled in it, in Knives Out some sort of self-sabotage happened to burst the balloon. Like the "donut hole in the donut hole" explanation.

My favorite joke in the movie was during Benoit's final explanation of what really happened, where while he acts like every mystery detective holding a show for the accused, you can see behind him, out-of-focus, Lieutenant Elliot getting more and more fed up with Benoit's bullshit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Movie good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just got done with watch #2, which I had wanted to do since seeing it the first time. Veeeery cleverly set up in a lot of places, lots of lines of dialogue you'll catch the second time.

HOWEVER, my favorite detail in the entire movie is during the "political" talk at dinner, when the total rear end in a top hat son-in-law Michael is talking about how Marta "did it right" and how you can work your way up, he then hands her his empty cake plate. Even though she is not a housekeeper, she's a registered nurse. It so effortlessly communicates exactly the kind of douche he is.

My two favorite performances are Toni Collete and Jamie Lee Curtis. The entire cast is good but those two hit it out of the loving park.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some other observations/things I liked:

- Benoit doesn't know how Fran got the medical report. That's right, he could infer it happened and not know how. He's not magic.
- Fran and Random don't know how to read a toxicology report; they infer from what they do know what it "must" mean. Makes sense--they're not medical experts!
- "Gravity's Rainbow" scene got a huge laugh both times and it's great. But apart from being funny and him explaining his process, Benoit is referencing the evidence on her shoes.
- When Ransom asks if Marta's mud footprints were identifiable upstairs in the hall, he isn't concerned about her--he's thinking of himself since he did it too.
- Ransom is a great villain. He's just great.
- I love how everyone's legitimate motive is completely irrelevant. I love that. I love it!
--- And they're so bold they tell us that almost immediately. Total wrench. Love it.
--- Is this the first film of this kind where for about half the film we're essentially rooting against the investigator?
- I didn't "get" the first time what Benoit is taking away from throwing the Go board on the floor; obviously it's that it's not loud enough for the thunk. This is part of what makes it pretty clear during the second view that Benoit absolutely knew that Marta was involved.
- I'll have to look again but I think it looked like the wood was fatigued (from Ransom) by the time it breaks for Marta. Would make sense, as he's heavier.
- I appreciated how Juanita was definitely senile and not just faking but still had worthwhile things to contribute.
- Really good treatment of female characters generally. Every single woman in the film is meaningfully different. Has some details like the attorney's clerk doing all the heavy lifting (literally) while he "yadda yaddas" through the reading.
- Interestingly, of all the children, I weirdly felt it the movie liked Linda best. Maybe this was just Jamie Lee Curtis but I liked the impression you only got part of each sibling's story (enough, but that they existed in a rich context).
- I did get a feeling of a couple scenes that were cut--I think only Linda and Walt tell Marta directly that they were "outvoted". Depending on who gets a vote, mathematically possible, but I feel there's a scene where everyone else does out there. Maybe I misremembered, but it makes its point clearly anyway!
- "You are a good nurse" :qq: I'm going to cry at that scene every time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
This was fun! I just accepted there was no point actually trying to figure out who did what, since that’s usually so dissatisfying (whether I’m right or wrong), and enjoyed watching the movie work.

The closest I’ve ever been to the genre is reading Hardy Boys when I was little, so I can’t comment on overall genre subversion, but the little touches seemed perfect. I kept waiting for every character to comment on Daniel Craig’s accent, but instead we get just one tiny lampshade hung on it and it’s a genuine laugh.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Just got done watching, it's good!

Only complaint is that (having recently watched the first season of Righteous Gemstones), Edi Patterson is a bit underutilized, but there's a lot of great actors doing fun acting so I understand.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

This movie is flawless. Every frame counted. Count me in for The Continuing Adventures of Benoit Blanc

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think its a coincidence because the old mans plans would have failed if not for the concurrent plan of someone else.

From what i knew of the movie, i was expecting twists, and rich people=bad. So while watching, i was wondering these things, why was marta, a very bad conspirator, in this situation. Who was pulling the strings, as to dangle marta out there so the spoiled family could prove the thesis of the movie, by having them attack poor innocent marta,and having blanc there to expose everything. The old man seems to check all these boxes, and the way he was acting after marta explained to us the effect of the medicine, whilst the old man acted completely calm and normal.

It turns out that there was no plan from the old man, and he was just lucky that his punishment worked.

I never saw his motive as white saviour, only as punishment for his family failing to meet his standards .

Didn't blanc spell it out? Marta won because she acted out of expectations of both old man and ransoms plan. If the old man did not plan to have his family suffer via marta, he would have desired to live, how ever small the chance, so ambulance is called, and ransoms plans would have been uncovered. And old mans original punishment seems kinda trite, and would have been exposed, which gives the family plenty of time to react.

If ransom didn't have his plan, well no movie, but, lets just say she made an actual mistake, would good person marta feel right about the money, even if the slayer rule was not applied?

Femur fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 1, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only thing that the film will sort of "call you out" for is forgetting the big-picture questions, which is far more fair and makes a more satisfying viewing experience than if you didn't notice some tiny bullshit background detail.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I loved that everyone said that Marta was "just like family", and yet there was no consensus on which country she was from.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Femur posted:

I think its a coincidence because the old mans plans would have failed if not for the concurrent plan of someone else.

(Definitely do not read any of these spoilers if you haven't seen the movie. Need to be clear for people browsing this thread, if you're the type of person who thinks you don't care about spoilers, you're wrong in this case)

It's not a coincidence because it's cause and effect...

Harlan fucks over his family by leaving the money to his kind and good nurse -> He tells one of his lovely family members -> Said Family member make a plan to kill him -> The nurse is so kind and good though that she foils this plan, but this leads to the unintended consequence of her thinking she killed him when she didn't -> Harlan, either out of love for the nurse or knowing that this will mean that his money will go to his family because of the slayer clause, decides to kill himself.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Among the many, many great parts of this movie, having Richard the Trumpist cheat on Linda with a woman of colour was :kiss:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think my favorite thing about this movie is they didn't waste all the good dialogue lines in the trailer so there were some genuinely great moments Donut hole/nazi child/gravity's rainbow that were total surprises.

Man there were a lot of great little quirky things to notice. No one in this movie is stupid, but a lot of them are assholes. That final shot with her holding the mug looking down on the rest of them outside in the cold was *kiss fingers* perfect.

I really liked how Meg ended up being just as big a piece of poo poo as the rest of them. Arguably worse since she's the only one who knew Marta well enough to actually betray her, and immediately did so.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Considering how good his movies before and after Star Wars are, is it fair to say the studio probably messed with his Star Wars movie despite their public declarations to the contrary

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Considering how good his movies before and after Star Wars are, is it fair to say the studio probably messed with his Star Wars movie despite their public declarations to the contrary
Can we please just not talk about Star Wars in here?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Considering how good his Star Wars movie is, who cares if the studio messed with it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mistaya posted:

I think my favorite thing about this movie is they didn't waste all the good dialogue lines in the trailer so there were some genuinely great moments Donut hole/nazi child/gravity's rainbow that were total surprises.

Man there were a lot of great little quirky things to notice. No one in this movie is stupid, but a lot of them are assholes. That final shot with her holding the mug looking down on the rest of them outside in the cold was *kiss fingers* perfect.

I really liked how Meg ended up being just as big a piece of poo poo as the rest of them. Arguably worse since she's the only one who knew Marta well enough to actually betray her, and immediately did so.

The best thing about that shot you mentioned is she's holding it perfectly to show off the "my house" on the mug.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

mistaya posted:

Class solidarity always wins among the rich

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
By the way, if people liked this movie - and in particular liked the fact that it plays very heavily with genre tropes right down to overwhelmingly affected dialogue that somehow manages to work - but are unfamiliar with Rian Johnson other than “he’s the man that ruined my Star War / saved my Star War” and maybe a few Breaking Bad episodes, let this post be the one that tells you to go watch Brick right now it’s on Netflix and stop reading this post go watch Brick.

It does with classic Noir (think Maltese Falcon), a lot of what this film does with whodunnits, except, transplanted into a weird high school where Joseph Gordon Levitt talks like Humphrey Bogart and it works for some reason.

It’s really really great.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody else feel like this was inspired at least a little bit by Get Out? I knew zero going in to see it, it opens like a bog standard Agatha Christie story just a tale of insufferable stuffy rich white people bickering, and while some of the modern commentary is really heavy handed it actually goes the distance of saying "nah, all of these motherfuckers suck rear end."

I did turn to my friend and smugly say "Actually, a common kitchen magnet wouldn't degauss a tape" and he said "do you really think those keystone cops even watched the video?" and I was beaten right there.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Someone literally points at Lakeith Stanfield and says "get out" at one point

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

One question, why was the cop assisting Det. Elliot a state trooper? Was it because of the remote location of the Thromby house?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

One question, why was the cop assisting Det. Elliot a state trooper? Was it because of the remote location of the Thromby house?

It’s just a Quirky Massachussets Thing; State Police have jurisdiction over homicide cases everywhere except for Boston basically.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

It’s just a Quirky Massachussets Thing; State Police have jurisdiction over homicide cases everywhere except for Boston basically.

Interesting. Thanks!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

al-azad posted:

Anybody else feel like this was inspired at least a little bit by Get Out? I knew zero going in to see it, it opens like a bog standard Agatha Christie story just a tale of insufferable stuffy rich white people bickering, and while some of the modern commentary is really heavy handed it actually goes the distance of saying "nah, all of these motherfuckers suck rear end."

I did turn to my friend and smugly say "Actually, a common kitchen magnet wouldn't degauss a tape" and he said "do you really think those keystone cops even watched the video?" and I was beaten right there.

The answer to your friend’s question is “yes”, since one of them says they tried to watch the tape and it was scrambled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Just watched it and thought it was amazing. Went in expecting a bog standard whodunnit having not seen any trailers and got a nice piece of social commentary instead.

Minor observation: How little the entire family gives a poo poo about Marta is evidenced by how none of them manage to figure out where she's from - she's labelled as coming from Ecuador, Paraguay and Brazil by different people. All it matters is she's Latino ergo she must be from somewhere down there.