Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I was a bit underwhelmed by Us. I had a first watch last weekend and it didn't really catch for me. Kind of a lack of intensity, but still enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

married but discreet posted:

I only remember how dope What Dreams May Come looked like, so a horror version of that sounds extremely appealing. Probably not what you meant though.

It's very very similar to The Cell imo in that it's very pretty and worth watching once for that but there just really isn't anything else there. Also similar to The Cell in that it was a popular "buy this with your new DVD player so you can show off to your friends why you got a DVD player" add-on at Best Buy/etc.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

Ebert loving loved tits. Like he made no attempt to hide that poo poo, he’s basically like “the two things that matter to me are Werner Herzog and huge titties”
That’s three things :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Demons - Everyone here knows this one. Fuckin' owns. This movie just rules.

Demons 2 - Everyone here knows this one too. Fuckin' owns. This movie just rules. And I love how much it plays with your expectations after seeing Demons 1. It's in some ways a better movie overall but it of course doesn't have anything like the motorcycle+katana+Accept's Fast As a Shark blasting scene in the original.

Demons 3 - Actually a Lamberto Bava TV movie called The Ogre, and very briefly in some of their initial home video releases some other movies, most importantly The Church which is an absolute must-watch and one of my favorite horror flicks ever.

Demons 4 - Actually Michele Soavi's The Sect/Devil's Daughter, his take on Rosemary's Baby. This one's really polarizing, but in general you could say it's one of Soavi's lesser flicks. Not particularly awful, just feels a bit long and maybe goes on a little too far without explanation before basically dumping exposition at the end. I like it.

Demons 5: The Devil's Veil - Actually Lamberto Bava's The Mask of the Devil. I honestly don't remember this one at all and will correct this soon by trying to re-watch it soon.

Demons 6: De Profundis - Actually Luigi Cozzi's The Black Cat, but despite Poe being a credited writer for original story it's much more a bizarre sorta-sequel to Suspiria that tries to be meta about Italian horror movies, to the point where Michele Soavi must have ghost-written parts of it or something since.........it was originally mean to be the movie that became Mother of Tears years later and it opens up with a movie within a movie directed a guy conflicted between wanting to make a name for himself buy directing what he feels will be a better version of Suspiria but afraid of being known as the king of spaghetti horror because his movie will be similar to Suspria.....played by Michele Soavi. :aaaaa: Whenever anyone mentions Suspiria or the Mother of Tears the first few seconds of the theme from Suspiria plays. The rest of the music is rock music and also a ripoff of the theme from The Thing! You're all now immediately wondering where you can watch this so fortunately you can type "Demons 6" into YouTube and it will be the first or near-first result. Enjoy the absolute stupidity and fun first half before it gets a bit repetitive before the batshit ending.

Demons 7: Inferno - Actually the 1989 Jenny Agutter/Michael Moriarty flick Dark Tower. It's.....less than the sum of its parts unfortunately, check out the director(s) and cast.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 2, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Can this count as feature film of the year if I watch it 600 times?

Yes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

Demons 2 - Everyone here knows this one too. Fuckin' owns. This movie just rules. And I love how much it plays with your expectations after seeing Demons 1. It's in some ways a better movie overall but it of course doesn't have anything like the motorcycle+katana+Accept's Fast As a Shark blasting scene in the original.

Can't mention that legendary scene without posting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqfZH0Q5OqA

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Demons 3 - Actually a Lamberto Bava TV movie called The Ogre, and very briefly in some of their initial home video releases some other movies, most importantly The Church which is an absolute must-watch and one of my favorite horror flicks ever.

Demons 4 - Actually Michele Soavi's The Sect/Devil's Daughter, his take on Rosemary's Baby. This one's really polarizing, but in general you could say it's one of Soavi's lesser flicks. Not particularly awful, just feels a bit long and maybe goes on a little too far without explanation before basically dumping exposition at the end. I like it.

Demons 5: The Devil's Veil - Actually Lamberto Bava's The Mask of the Devil. I honestly don't remember this one at all and will correct this soon by trying to re-watch it soon.

Demons 6: De Profundis - Actually Luigi Cozzi's The Black Cat, but despite Poe being a credited writer for original story it's much more a bizarre sorta-sequel to Suspiria that tries to be meta about Italian horror movies, to the point where Michele Soavi must have ghost-written parts of it or something since.........it was originally mean to be the movie that became Mother of Tears years later and it opens up with a movie within a movie directed a guy conflicted between wanting to make a name for himself buy directing what he feels will be a better version of Suspiria but afraid of being known as the king of spaghetti horror because his movie will be similar to Suspria.....played by Michele Soavi. :aaaaa: Whenever anyone mentions Suspiria or the Mother of Tears the first few seconds of the theme from Suspiria plays. The rest of the music is rock music and also a ripoff of the theme from The Thing! You're all now immediately wondering where you can watch this so fortunately you can type "Demons 6" into YouTube and it will be the first or near-first result. Enjoy the absolute stupidity and fun first half before it gets a bit repetitive before the batshit ending.

Demons 7: Inferno - Actually the 1989 Jenny Agutter/Michael Moriarty flick Dark Tower. It's.....less than the sum of its parts unfortunately, check out the director(s) and cast.

You forgot Demons 3, Demons 3, and Demons 3.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

You forgot Demons 3, Demons 3, and Demons 3.

:cmon: Everyone knows this one was called Demons III in the US.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Not sure if this qualifies as horror, but Tommy "The Room" Wiseau is starring and has directed Big Shark.

Wait. Tommy Wiseau is acting and directing again. Yep, definitely a horror movie.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 2, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Of course I’m gonna watch it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Everyone posted:

Not sure if this qualifies as horror, but Tommy "The Room" Wiseau is starring and has directed Big Shark.

Wait. Tommy Wiseau is acting and directing a again. Yep, definitely a horror movie.
"Three firefighters must save New Orleans from a shark attack."

Ah yes, New Orleans, where Tommy Wiseau claims he's from!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Oh hi, shark!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I hope those sharks feel real, real bad after the main character commits suicide.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oh hi sharky i didnt know it was you

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

it's just a simple scene, maybe shark is vampire?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think you're simultaneously making too much of the tropes you're talking about being new (Hamlet's father's ghost isn't that far removed from the Babadook)

Oh man, let’s talk Hamlet.

Act 1, Scene 1 of Hamlet begins at midnight and ends at dawn - compressing at least 4-5 hours of events into just a few minutes. Given that there are no ‘edits’ here, the only conclusion is that everything that happens on the stage is a re-enactment of the already-questionable eyewitness accounts - and/or the characters are experiencing what UFOlogists refer to as ‘missing time’.

Putting things in vulgar terms, there’s an affinity between Hamlet’s depiction of a close encounter with a ghost and the sort of History Channel dreck explored in The Fourth Kind. So, why not interrogate these claims? (I’ve seen one film adaptation that omits any visible ghost and intercuts the encounter with security camera footage, ‘proving’ there’s nothing there.)

It’s best to first keep in mind the perspective of the audience; the story of Hamlet begins in media res. The characters are all well-acquainted with the story of the ghost (it’s appeared twice already), and there is consequently a disconnect between their experience and ours. We see what they believe (and that they believe it) but we ourselves do not undergo the same process of conversion. Even Horatio knows more than us, and has been primed to see something.

The night shift is, after all, not a normal assignment. The guards can tell there’s some sort of conflict looming, but no-one has told them anything. They’ve spent hours in the cold and silence, scanning the darkness for some unknown enemy. Stressed and sleep-deprived, Bernardo had apparently lapsed into stargazing. It’s under these conditions that they spy something that they’ll claim was the king, in full battle armour.

When Hamlet is later uncertain if what he spoke to was his father or a demon, that should tell you that this apparition is not as clear and tangible as the characters insist. This is reinforced by the fact that, when the figure is first seen, the guards did not approach it or otherwise do their fuckin’ jobs. A man skulking around outside in full battle gear, during this period of heightened alert, and they don’t even report it? They know full well that they didn’t see anything like a man.

When people claim they’ve encountered a demon, it’s nothing as straightforward as getting a sandwich out of the fridge at 2pm (e.g. the type of experience Flanagan’s style evokes). What they’re struggling to articulate is a feeling. A feeling of being watched, of being judged. And it happens that the king died not too long ago....

Now, Horatio (‘the smart one’) does say that the figure was like the king “as thou art to thyself” - but, leaving aside all the complications and nuances in anyone’s relationship to themselves, the very first event of the play was Francisco and Bernardo failing to recognize eachother in the darkness and getting badly spooked. Horatio also voices a belief that chickens are holy animals with magic powers.

The whole of Act 1, Scene 1 has a definite comic aspect that’s always overlooked. Horatio ponders aloud whether the ghost is guarding some buried treasure, then tells Marcellus to go kick its rear end. “What, you mean stab the ghost?” “Yeah, gently caress him up!”

Later: “wow, that ghost was so powerful that it made us look like a bunch of idiots flailing around.”

In Hamlet, the appearance of the ghost stands for the absence of the (strong, popular) King, and the looming threat posed by Prince Fortinbras, etc. When Horatio says “this [ghost] bodes some strange eruption to our state”, he obviously has it backwards; the rottenness in the state of Denmark is what ‘erupts’ into this silliness.

But anyways: the more clearly-visible the ghost in your story, the less realistic and more overtly metaphorical it becomes. This is what accounts for a lot of Flanagan’s schmaltziness; his Hill House outright tells you that the man in the bowler hat who tortured himself to death represents low self-esteem.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 2, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hamlet is actually the shark the whole time

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ghosts are real.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kvlt! posted:

hamlet is actually the shark the whole time

And now I somehow want Tommy Wiseau's Big Hamlet.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best ghosts in Hill House are the ones lurking in the background, hiding under tables, peering through doorways, reflected in mirrors, that the show draws no attention to and the characters never see.

Once the ghosts become characters with dialogue in the final couple if episodes they become a bit dull.

Except for the shrieking skeletal corpse in the basement. That dude rules even when he crawls into the foreground.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best ghosts in Hill House are the ones lurking in the background, hiding under tables, peering through doorways, reflected in mirrors, that the show draws no attention to and the characters never see.

Once the ghosts become characters with dialogue in the final couple if episodes they become a bit dull.

Except for the shrieking skeletal corpse in the basement. That dude rules even when he crawls into the foreground.

Yeah I was a fan of the uncommented on Old Timey Mustache Ghost.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Everyone posted:

And now I somehow want Tommy Wiseau's Big Hamlet.

Mercutio from Alcatraz

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Oh man, let’s talk Hamlet.

Putting things in vulgar terms, there’s an affinity between Hamlet’s depiction of a close encounter with a ghost and the sort of History Channel dreck explored in The Fourth Kind. So, why not interrogate these claims? (I’ve seen one film adaptation that omits any visible ghost and intercuts the encounter with security camera footage, ‘proving’ there’s nothing there.)

This is the BBC David Tennent/Patrick Stewart joint and it’s great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Didn't someone in here mention Nekrotronic not too long ago? Is it good? I see it appeared on Shudder's Prime add-on channel recently.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Didn't someone in here mention Nekrotronic not too long ago? Is it good? I see it appeared on Shudder's Prime add-on channel recently.

I tried watching that this weekend and bailed half way through. It’s like a made for SyFy Odd Thomas or something.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I tried watching that this weekend and bailed half way through. It’s like a made for SyFy Odd Thomas or something.

Ah, well at least I can avoid wasting time on it.

Looks like they also added an interesting looking revenge flick called A Bluebird In My Heart.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

it was me, and it's okay. I had fun with it but it's basically a generic superhero plot with some neat visuals. Recommended if you like goofy action and neon lighting but it's not particularly great

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I will never not read that movie title as Nekromantik, and I kinda like it that way.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've thought the dude was a hack since Oculus but his preposterous take on Haunting of Hill House was admittedly fun enough for me to watch more than once.

Preposterous is exactly the word. Whose take on Hill House is that it needs to be a lot more like the conjuring, but also no fun

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Preposterous is exactly the word. Whose take on Hill House is that it needs to be a lot more like the conjuring, but also no fun

I thought it was very well written. The plot took several twists and turns that I wasn't expecting and I thought the ending was very satisfying. Agreed that it was pretty heavy and not exactly fun to watch though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
To be honest when I think of Shirley Jackson “fun” isn’t the first word I think of. I liked that show more than I expected to, but I probably would have liked it more if it had a different title and still kept all the references (like the names, the cup of stars, etc).

Did anyone see We Have Always Lived in the Castle? I enjoyed it but I don’t know if I liked how sensational they went with the cousin character.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Did anyone see We Have Always Lived in the Castle? I enjoyed it but I don’t know if I liked how sensational they went with the cousin character.

I liked it a lot, though I seem to be in the minority.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Basebf555 posted:

Ah, well at least I can avoid wasting time on it.

Looks like they also added an interesting looking revenge flick called A Bluebird In My Heart.

You would be better off watching Nekrotronic. Bluebird is a worse movie in my opinion. Boring, cliche, and a gross relationship between a grown man and a high schooler.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Drunkboxer posted:

To be honest when I think of Shirley Jackson “fun” isn’t the first word I think of. I liked that show more than I expected to, but I probably would have liked it more if it had a different title and still kept all the references (like the names, the cup of stars, etc).

I wasn’t saying Hill House is fun, I’m saying if you’re going to go goofy with it then at least make it fun. Flanagan chose ridiculous AND humorless

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snack Bitch posted:

You would be better off watching Nekrotronic. Bluebird is a worse movie in my opinion. Boring, cliche, and a gross relationship between a grown man and a high schooler.

Well poo poo. At least they got Re-Born last month.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

I thought the show was great, but yeah they could've called it something else and just left in the little references and it would've worked the same. It's much more "inspired by" than it is "based on". Watching the Robert Wise film immediately after the series was fun, the show takes more from that adaptation than I realized while watching it. Little stuff like the way that Cleo stands with her arms crossed and big stuff like the scene with Nell dancing by herself around the statues.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

weekly font posted:

This is the BBC David Tennent/Patrick Stewart joint and it’s great.

It’s certainly good, but I do take issue with some of the choices there - like the decision to make the ghost a figure of overproximity. The ghost is getting up in peoples’ faces, almost shoving them aside - even giving Hamlet a big hug.

When I read Hamlet on the page, I see an enormous distance between the characters and some shape outside, fading into and out of the darkened landscape.

They also don’t do enough with the fact that, when Hamlet runs off to see the ghost, he is indeed entering some vortex of madness. As with the ‘missing time’ of the opening scene, where five hours are compressed into five minutes, most of Act 1, Scene 5 - i.e. Hamlet’s entire conversation with the ghost - occurs in just a few seconds of ‘real’ time.* Why isn’t it more hallucinatory?

When you combine this with the decision to cast Stewart as both King Claudius and King Hamlet, we’re getting into stranger territory than just a ghost. This is a Doppelgänger. Of course, it could just be that the brothers are twins - but this casting introduces the more interesting possibility that there never was a King Hamlet at all, and what wanders the castle is a ‘younger’ Claudius from before he sold out. Things are subtly flipped so that Prince Hamlet is not so much angry at Claudius but at his mother for taking this warrior and transforming him into an effete diplomat. So Claudius himself wanders the halls at night, in a daze, pleading to be put out of his misery. “You have no idea of the magnitude of this thing! If she is allowed to infiltrate this world, then George Costanza - as you know him - ceases to exist!”

Perhaps the videotapes are edited, or perhaps the cameras themselves are imaginary (as in The Matrix, where the Compurer God obviously has no use for physical cameras in a VR).

But to get back to the point, the Stewart/Tennant adaptation doesn’t provide a great horror story - more puzzling than it is frightening.

*Frankly, I would move the ghost’s speech to later in the play to depict false memories - flashbacks to a nonexistent event. Either that, or reshape it into a monologue delivered to the audience at the very beginning.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's the best Hamlet adaptation? Olivier? I judge them by their graveyard scene. Branagh felt, in turns, too saccharine or too bombastic. Tennants, otoh, felt almost flippant.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Reminder that Lloyd Kaufman’s next movie is an adaptation of the Tempest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

What's the best Hamlet adaptation? Olivier? I judge them by their graveyard scene. Branagh felt, in turns, too saccharine or too bombastic. Tennants, otoh, felt almost flippant.

It’s obviously Strange Brew