Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

brocked posted:

Ha! Didn't MI:2 reshoots basically launch Hugh Jackman's career?

Yes. Dougray Scott was originally cast as Wolverine but had to drop out because MI2 ran long.

Though given Jackman’s talent level I’d probably lean more toward “MI2 reshoots killed Dougray Scott’s career” :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

ruddiger posted:

Some motherfuckers are always running dorky like Steven Seagal.
Ah, the patent-pending "windmill of bones" running technique.

Executive Decision and Under Siege 2 are two of my guilty pleasure movies.

Kurt Russell's character in ED really annoys me though - he'd be the first to admit that he's completely out of his depth for basically the entire movie, but he suddenly grows a massive set of balls at the end and completely fucks up the rest of the team's plan.

GazChap fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 24, 2019

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yes. Dougray Scott was originally cast as Wolverine but had to drop out because MI2 ran long.

Though given Jackman’s talent level I’d probably lean more toward “MI2 reshoots killed Dougray Scott’s career” :(

And MI2 ran long because Tom Cruise was delayed by Kubrick needing him for more Eyes Wide Shut filming. Such is the circle of life.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

And eyes wide shut happened because Kubrick found out about the Epstein cabal

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Gemini Man is an odd movie where it's perfectly competent and fine. There's even a few genuinely impressive sequences in there (the weird high frame rate worked really well in the catacombs fight for instance) and it's amazing how far cgi stuntpeople have come since...i wanna say blade 2. But it's just...there. It's such an interesting premise, but it does the least interesting thing with it. It's one of those movies that's fine but you do wonder just why such an unremarkable film had such money and talent thrown at it.

Also, the last sequence bugged me. They specifically establish that the goons are armoured and that only shots to the neck are likely to get through. Then that plays no part in the sequence at all. After John Wick 3's ridiculous fight against the armoured goons, it felt very half assed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snowman_McK posted:

Gemini Man is an odd movie where it's perfectly competent and fine. There's even a few genuinely impressive sequences in there (the weird high frame rate worked really well in the catacombs fight for instance) and it's amazing how far cgi stuntpeople have come since...i wanna say blade 2. But it's just...there. It's such an interesting premise, but it does the least interesting thing with it. It's one of those movies that's fine but you do wonder just why such an unremarkable film had such money and talent thrown at it.

Also, the last sequence bugged me. They specifically establish that the goons are armoured and that only shots to the neck are likely to get through. Then that plays no part in the sequence at all. After John Wick 3's ridiculous fight against the armoured goons, it felt very half assed.

Gemini Man needed Old Will Smith to be like, twenty years older OR star a lead that has aged much more poorly than Smith to be interesting to me, personally. Every trailer I saw made the central premise boring as hell because Smith just looks too good at his age for the young version to be all that shocking.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Gemini Man needed Old Will Smith to be like, twenty years older OR star a lead that has aged much more poorly than Smith to be interesting to me, personally. Every trailer I saw made the central premise boring as hell because Smith just looks too good at his age for the young version to be all that shocking.

That's reasonable. Every possible choice that's made in the film is the least interesting one. The set up, which you can tell is written in the 90s, is some end of history stuff. It's just weird given Ang Lee is such a superb film maker, why he'd do this. It'd be like PT Anderson directing the next 'Has Fallen' movie.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Frogtown Has Fallen?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who would win in a fight, Gemini Man or Glimmer Man?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Juwanna Mann

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't even know who Glimmer Man is because I never saw the movie. Is it Seagal or Wayans? Or neither?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Do you think Seagal is going to be in a movie with someone elses nae on it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I see my mistake now, yes. Embarrassing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I don't even know who Glimmer Man is because I never saw the movie. Is it Seagal or Wayans? Or neither?

It's Seagal, and it came from the fact that all you'd see of him in 'Nam was a glimmer, then you'd be dead. As if Seagal waddling around the jungle was supposed to be plausible.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Basebf555 posted:

Both ! And some peak behind the scenes Seagal crazyness.

quote:

According to Stephen Tobolowsky, Steven Seagal wanted to change the scene in which Cole (Seagal) kills Maynard (Tobolowsky). Due to his spiritual beliefs, Seagal did not want to kill villains in his movies anymore. Tobolowsky convinced Seagal that Maynard would be able to be reincarnated and redeemed by being killed. Seagal agreed and the scene was filmed as written. But months later, Seagal wanted to change the scene to show that Maynard survived the shooting. Tobolowsky was brought in to overdub lines to indicate that Maynard was still alive. But this was not used in the final cut.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If you imagine all Steven Seagal movies as lies told by Frank Reynolds about his past, they both make more sense and are much better.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm working my way through that top 50 list and holy mother of God Tokyo tribe is fantastic

I had no idea what it was going to be and wow

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

If you imagine all Steven Seagal movies as lies told by Ronald "Mac" McDonald, they both make more sense and are much better.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

mastershakeman posted:

I'm working my way through that top 50 list and holy mother of God Tokyo tribe is fantastic

Yeah, it's a trip alright.

I am also filling in the gaps, but having seen it this week I really don't get the love for Furie. It just feels so....bland.
I have a hard time putting it into words, but it does nothing original or interesting. It comes across as a dozen decent movies mixed together into one grey mass, without any personality or style.

Revenger falls hilariously short when it comes to the story and acting, but the fight scenes were really good. Hwoarang kicks all day every day.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I watched the Bloodfist series last week, and I’ve gotta say, I was impressed with how consistent they were with sticking to about the same level of quality established by the first in the series (aside from the barely-connected Bloodfist 2050). Also fun finding a series that kept its main star for each entry, which Bloodsport and Kickboxer (the most obvious influences) both failed to do.

First one was probably the most well-written of the bunch, with Don “The Dragon” Wilson heading to Manila to avenge his brother being killed the night of winning a martial arts tournament. It’s patiently paced, there are some quiet character-building moments, and the twist is one that I didn’t see coming. Second one is probably my favorite, though, with multiple martial artists kidnapped to a private island and forced to fight in a tournament. The climax is awesome.

Number three (subtitle: Forced to Fight) pulls from Death Warrant, putting Wilson in the role of a rebellious inmate surrounded by corrupt prison officials and their lackey prisoners. Richard Roundtree is in it as the inmate trying to grow a garden and keep some peace. Bloodfist IV: Die Trying has Wilson accidentally getting entangled in a plot involving nuclear detonators, and was remade almost beat-for-beat (but in an Irish setting, with Wilson reprising his role) in 2000 as Moving Target.

The fifth one, Human Target, is where the series starts to flounder a bit, but it also provides some novelty for what the series has been up to that point. Wilson has amnesia, there’s double-crosses and mistaken identities, and probably too many twists for the plot’s own good. Part six, Ground Zero pulls things back up, though, essentially being Under Siege set on a nuclear missile base, and with Wilson playing a military courier instead of a chef. Number seven, Manhunt, is the main series’ low point, with the main conflict being that Wilson is wrongly believed to be a cop-killer, and must clear his name. But the main series wraps on an enjoyable note in Bloodfist VII: Trained to Kill, with Wilson playing a former government agent, now a high school teacher, who gets drawn back into fighting along with his estranged son.

Bloodfist 2050 is a half-assed future dystopia with ring fights, and is the only Bloodfist to not star Don “The Dragon” Wilson. Most notable for being Matt Mullins’ first film role, and for having the alternate title of Street Fighter 2050.

If you feel like checking out the series, parts 1-3 and 6-8 are free to stream on Tubi, while parts 4, 5, and 2050 are on Youtube.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I got to see Bloodfist at the New Beverly Cinema with Don the Dragon Wilson in person. Best story he told was asking Roger Corman what the movie’s title meant and Corman telling him “its whatever you want it to be!”

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Don the Dragon had quite a hectic start to his movie career.

From 1989 with the first Bloodfist movie and up to Bloodfist 8 in 1996 he was in like 20 movies and I'm assuming he was the lead in most if not all of them. He even squeezed in a bit part in Batman Forever.

Not too shabby for a kickboxer.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Can you all recommend some recent American action flicks? I’ve always loved revenge movies like death wish but I really just need a new movie to watch over and over again. I love the Olympus Has fallen movies mindless action too.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pillowpants posted:

Can you all recommend some recent American action flicks? I’ve always loved revenge movies like death wish but I really just need a new movie to watch over and over again. I love the Olympus Has fallen movies mindless action too.

Assuming you’ve seen the big ones like John Wick 1-3 and Mission Impossible 4-6. From the 2010s:

Upgrade
Avengement (and a whole bunch of other DTV Scott Adkins movies)
Dredd
Jack Reacher

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Seconding Upgrade. drat, that was fun.

It's more of a slow-burn thriller than an action movie, but Blue Ruin is a nasty little revenge movie, and it definitely has some action.

Along those lines, I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore is another revenge movie with a real sense of dread to it, but it's also darkly comedic.

For more straight-ahead action, Fast and the Furious parts 5-8 are excellent, and Fast and Furious Presents Hobbs and Shaw was fun, but kind of a letdown after how amazing 5-8 were. Part 6 is my absolute favorite from the entire series, but everyone seems to have a different favorite.

And even though it's a TV show, the Lethal Weapon series ran for three seasons on Fox and was a lot of fun, with at least one great action sequence in every episode, and deeper development of Riggs, Murtaugh, and their relationship. I never got the impression that TV Riggs and Murtaugh were the best friends the movie characters were (mostly because the TV actors hated each other), but they definitely got a lot more interesting backstories on TV, with so much more time to spend fleshing them out. When Murtaugh's new partner was introduced in Season 3, he was cool too, and not just a Riggs ripoff.

And Banshee on Cinemax might be the greatest action series of all time, but not nearly enough people have discovered it because it was on Cinemax. (The first two seasons, out of four total, are on Amazon Prime.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 1, 2019

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

Assuming you’ve seen the big ones like John Wick 1-3 and Mission Impossible 4-6. From the 2010s:

Upgrade
Avengement (and a whole bunch of other DTV Scott Adkins movies)
Dredd
Jack Reacher

I’m turning Avengement on right now. I’ve seen everything else. Thank you

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seconding Upgrade. drat, that was fun.

It's more of a slow-burn thriller than an action movie, but Blue Ruin is a nasty little revenge movie, and it definitely has some action.

Along those lines, I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore is another revenge movie with a real sense of dread to it, but it's also darkly comedic.

For more straight-ahead action, Fast and the Furious parts 5-8 are excellent, and Fast and Furious Presents Hobbs and Shaw was fun, but kind of a letdown after how amazing 5-8 were. Part 6 is my absolute favorite from the entire series, but everyone seems to have a different favorite.

And even though it's a TV show, the Lethal Weapon series ran for three seasons on Fox and was a lot of fun, with at least one great action sequence in every episode, and deeper development of Riggs, Murtaugh, and their relationship. I never got the impression that TV Riggs and Murtaugh were the best friends the movie characters were (mostly because the TV actors hated each other), but they definitely got a lot more interesting backstories on TV, with so much more time to spend fleshing them out. When Murtaugh's new partner was introduced in Season 3, he was cool too, and not just a Riggs ripoff.

And Banshee on Cinemax might be the greatest action series of all time, but not nearly enough people have discovered it because it was on Cinemax. (The first two seasons, out of four total, are on Amazon Prime.)

Banshee is cool, Justified also.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Banshee is cool, Justified also.

Also Strike Back. I dont know if I like it more than Banshee but the chemistry between Scott and Stonebridge is amazing. Last two seasons with a new crew are ok as well.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

B-Rock452 posted:

Also Strike Back. I dont know if I like it more than Banshee but the chemistry between Scott and Stonebridge is amazing. Last two seasons with a new crew are ok as well.

I think Banshee is better (except the final season) but Strike Back is a fun show. It's really nice to have basically a few DTV action movies as a season of a TV show, and like you said the chemistry between the leads is very good.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I couldn’t get into avengement because the main character isn’t likable at all, but I saw Security mentioned in one of the first few pages of this and it was awesome.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

I just love the lines Olyphant has in Justified. He and Boyd are just fun to watch.

"The next one will be coming faster."

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Scott Adkins is the Adam Driver of action movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Scott Adkins is the Adam Driver of action movies.

He got his big break making out with Lena Dunham, too?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I just love the lines Olyphant has in Justified. He and Boyd are just fun to watch.

"The next one will be coming faster."

That's a great line (and I love his boss making fun of him for it later) but Boyd's "you're a conquistador" speech is my favorite.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
here's a nice feature on the Isaac Florentine/Scott Adkins collaborations

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Scott Adkins deserves a chance at the big time. He's a pretty darn good actor now as well.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Scott Adkins deserves a chance at the big time. He's a pretty darn good actor now as well.

i was genuinely surprised to see an interview with him where he came across as a really normal, chill guy. Playing as intense as he usually does is actually a bit of a feat for the guy. It's like when you see Jackman out of character and realise he's just a big theatre kid on shitloads of steroids. Makes sense, a lot of Adkins' early roles were british soaps where he didn't spin kick anyone.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Four minutes into Kickboxer: Vengeance, and I'm already angry at the quick-cuts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I guess it's nice to see a journalist confirm what we've been saying for years. About the state of action movies as a whole, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Adkins is apparently in the next IP Man movie which has me pretty psyched for it.