Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

hollywood does this in general i dont think they actually know how to make movie stars anymore because its hard to come up with any other reason why they keep pretending like liam neeson is an action hero

i wanna guess theres context for this that makes him look less like a murderous psycho but it actually makes him look like more of a murderous psycho doesnt it

I mean the last time they tried that was Shia LeBouf

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
maybe hollywood would have more success building new talent if they didn't take turns raping every successfully aspiring actor

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

maybe hollywood would have more success building new talent if they didn't take turns raping every successfully aspiring actor

What’s the point in gardening if you never harvest?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

etalian posted:

scorsese is showing his range as a director by making another NE gangster movie and also casting a pile of actors past their prime to play youthful roles.

You could say the same thing about Josh wheadon tjo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Forceholy posted:

You could say the same thing about Josh wheadon tjo

Lmao that joke never gets old it's evergreen

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF1sfqnp8kk

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I saw Parasite yesterday and it was fine

Probably better than fine but seeing Lighthouse on monday has temporarily spoiled all other movies for me

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i'm like 6 monthd late to the party but i just saw the last avenfers movie and lmfao it is so bad. the infinity stones are magic mcguffins that can perform any wish the owner can imagine, except it can't return two very specific people to life because the rest of the avengers just decide "nope it's impossible" but nobody even notices that the vision doesn't get brought back. also you have to sacrifice what you love most to get the soul stone which makes sense w/ thanos & gamorra but makes no sense for jeremy & widow b/c neither one of them love the other and in fact they're both enthusiastically suicidal soooo . . . ? oh an apparently the hulk can wish everyone back to life AND impart in them the knowledge of the last 5 years BUT he can't also throw in a rider to just nuke thanos where ever he currently is? and octogenarian cap at the end implies nothing in the main timeline changes despite the fact that now he obviously won't exist to be cap in the early 2000s

time travel as a plot device is always shite but man avengers end game managed to handle it in the dumbest way possible

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

i wanna guess theres context for this that makes him look less like a murderous psycho but it actually makes him look like more of a murderous psycho doesnt it

Canonically using a disruptor rifle is the worst way to kill someone, because it disintegrates you at the atomic level. Subjectively, you get to experience your entire body painfully dissolve while time seems to slow down for you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm like 6 monthd late to the party but i just saw the last avenfers movie and lmfao it is so bad. the infinity stones are magic mcguffins that can perform any wish the owner can imagine, except it can't return two very specific people to life because the rest of the avengers just decide "nope it's impossible" but nobody even notices that the vision doesn't get brought back. also you have to sacrifice what you love most to get the soul stone which makes sense w/ thanos & gamorra but makes no sense for jeremy & widow b/c neither one of them love the other and in fact they're both enthusiastically suicidal soooo . . . ? oh an apparently the hulk can wish everyone back to life AND impart in them the knowledge of the last 5 years BUT he can't also throw in a rider to just nuke thanos where ever he currently is? and octogenarian cap at the end implies nothing in the main timeline changes despite the fact that now he obviously won't exist to be cap in the early 2000s

time travel as a plot device is always shite but man avengers end game managed to handle it in the dumbest way possible

While the movie is dumb a lot of those are kinda dumb points; kind of the point is Widow and Hawkeye DO love each other as comrades in arms and literally fight over who gets to be the sacrifice and all, and the Hulk didn't tell them what had happened in the last 5 years so much as the wizards probably filled them in on 'Hey, the war's over here now', and Cap p clearly sent himself back to about when he was originally frozen so there's two Caps in the timeline, same deal as the cap-on-cap violence earlier.

The Infinity Stones are basically Dragon Balls for all intents and purposes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I watched the first season of Mr. Robot when it came out and thought it was good. Stopped earlier in season 2 though. The creators seemed to get how lovely it is to live in the late capitalist US, even for relatively privileged workers.

I hung out with some friends tonight who were doing marathon a of later seasons, and how exactly did that show turn into fighting a Chinese conspiracy that's infiltrated every aspect of the US ruling establishment.

Like China is literally plotting to annex African countries in the show. What the gently caress.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

I watched the first season of Mr. Robot when it came out and thought it was good. Stopped earlier in season 2 though. The creators seemed to get how lovely it is to live in the late capitalist US, even for relatively privileged workers.

I hung out with some friends tonight who were doing marathon a of later seasons, and how exactly did that show turn into fighting a Chinese conspiracy that's infiltrated every aspect of the US ruling establishment.

Like China is literally plotting to annex African countries in the show. What the gently caress.

Yeah the tone and direction changed after S1 for some reason.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Some Guy TT posted:

They stole his stuff

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/flglmn/status/1201288213064798208?s=19

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

Jawas are a pain in the rear end.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

Jawas are a pain in the rear end.

(((jawas)))

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

They stole his stuff

He turns them into dust and it rules it's very old west sniper rifle except dudes disintegrate

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just gonna assume it has no dialogue and is just fett and baby yoda doing shenanigans, crimes and shenanigan crimes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just gonna assume it has no dialogue and is just fett and baby yoda doing shenanigans, crimes and shenanigan crimes

It's incredibly light on dialog which I do like but it's basically lone wolf and cub but a Western but in space so if you're down for that go for it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

you're pretty close

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Huh, the protag of Lone Wolf and Cub is actually kind of a bastard as well (I remember there's a bit where he watches his target rape a woman to death and doesn't intervene because it's not opportune) so maybe fitting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Huh, the protag of Lone Wolf and Cub is actually kind of a bastard as well (I remember there's a bit where he watches his target rape a woman to death and doesn't intervene because it's not opportune) so maybe fitting.

I mean it's star wars so it's more that he's a cold rear end in a top hat with a good heart that he doesn't show people but he tries to be a good dad to his space wizard son

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

rape will never happen in star wars

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean after the sequels have been a recycled-piss-drinking incoherent retelling of Star Wars being Star Wars it seems fitting to actually go to back to the well of cowboy and samurai stories

I gotta admit I'm a sucker for retro sci-fi stuff like hand-loaded disintegrator rifles. It feels like forever since any new sci-fi has had a consistent visual theme and language for its technology; Star Trek was pretty good at it too, with distinct aesthetics for different cultures and factions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stairmaster posted:

Not with that attitude.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Stairmaster posted:

*cough* Jabba *cough*

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean after the sequels have been a recycled-piss-drinking incoherent retelling of Star Wars being Star Wars it seems fitting to actually go to back to the well of cowboy and samurai stories

I gotta admit I'm a sucker for retro sci-fi stuff like hand-loaded disintegrator rifles. It feels like forever since any new sci-fi has had a consistent visual theme and language for its technology; Star Trek was pretty good at it too, with distinct aesthetics for different cultures and factions.

In general, just do other genre stuff in that setting! Branch out and do something that isn't A Star Wars in the same setting as star wars

Remember when they pitched rogue one as oceans eleven: star wars? Gimme that

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

the tragedy of Superman discourse is that Man of Steel and Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice are the superman movies all these chuckleheads say they want, but they keep violently rejecting the notion, as if those films weren't about Superman being alienated from society and fighting global warming and billionaires that keep dehumanizing him

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

uber_stoat posted:

(((jawas)))

Nah, that is the Muun, the race of bankers from Planet Banker who funded both sides of the Clone Wars.

Jawas are tweakers, stripping houses of copper wire to buy spice.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ElNarez posted:

the tragedy of Superman discourse is that Man of Steel and Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice are the superman movies all these chuckleheads say they want, but they keep violently rejecting the notion, as if those films weren't about Superman being alienated from society and fighting global warming and billionaires that keep dehumanizing him

i can understand someone not liking the dc superhero movies because all superhero movies are trash but the mental fits people will go through to avoid understanding really straightforward plots is just baffling to me

like how do you watch batman v superman and conclude that lex luthor doesnt have a motive when something like three fourths of his dialog is just finding more convoluted ways to restate that his daddy issues are also religious issues and that superman is obviously god

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

In general, just do other genre stuff in that setting! Branch out and do something that isn't A Star Wars in the same setting as star wars

Yeah Rogue One just plain didn't work. It should've been a heist movie.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I loved it when I first saw it, it does not hold up. The entire middle act from when Jedha gets blasted to when they set off the bombs on Scarif is a boring, disjointed slog. TFA had similar problems, and the TLJ needs at least 30 minutes shaved off it. Somehow Solo is the best paced of the Disney films, the rest have serious editing and pacing issues.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rogue One is def a case where the first 2/3 of the movie was hacked to pieces in the cutting room and it's real lucky the finale is crazy good.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That's basically what Star Wars (and Star Trek for that matter) is for. Hell, most good sci-fi is basically riffs on other stuff but with aliens and robots. Originality is mashing random genre trappings together around a formula until you get something that looks new.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

I loved it when I first saw it, it does not hold up. The entire middle act from when Jedha gets blasted to when they set off the bombs on Scarif is a boring, disjointed slog. TFA had similar problems, and the TLJ needs at least 30 minutes shaved off it. Somehow Solo is the best paced of the Disney films, the rest have serious editing and pacing issues.

say what you will about ron howard but he managed to salvage the infamously awful Solo production into a decent film

poo poo if they had a cinematographer that wasnt in love with ps3-era brown color filters it would have been a great movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Should say something that the best part of Rogue One was when everyone died

The best thing to come out of Disney buying Star Wars is still the first thing: the Phineas and Ferb crossover

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

i can understand someone not liking the dc superhero movies because all superhero movies are trash but the mental fits people will go through to avoid understanding really straightforward plots is just baffling to me

like how do you watch batman v superman and conclude that lex luthor doesnt have a motive when something like three fourths of his dialog is just finding more convoluted ways to restate that his daddy issues are also religious issues and that superman is obviously god

they set their minds at "zack snyder is a total chud" back when 300 released and they refuse to move on from there

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ElNarez posted:

they set their minds at "zack snyder is a total chud" back when 300 released and they refuse to move on from there

they want a bit of late 2010s black panther-style box ticking instead of confused late 2010s edgy gen x liberalism

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

rogue 1 is too long and boring and bland compared to the dirty dozen type movies its drawing from but its one of the best disney star wars things just because, aside from the whole death star plans thing, the plot doesnt feel like a bunch of execs going down a big list of recognisable Star Wars refs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The funny thing is how the death star plans were stolen has like a dozen mutually exclusive Expanded Universe takes

It's the first mission of Dark Forces (Doom but Star Wars) iirc