Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mad Hamish posted:

Doesn't Aviendha think that Rand has unusually good eyebrows, or something? I seem to recall reading that at some point.

Yes. Sulin teased her about it iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Totally believable. Gf is loving obsessed with trimming my eyebrows.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

"If I could make everyone obey, I would"

Uh Rand you are veering into dictatorship

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"If I could make everyone obey, I would"

Uh Rand you are veering into dictatorship

Yup, it's pretty blatant!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least he's not talking about sand

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Data Graham posted:

At least he's not talking about sand

sandin

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Also he's in the right because his evil laws are stuff like "nobles aren't above the law anymore" lol. Hard to be sympathetic to the high lords.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Also he's in the right because his evil laws are stuff like "nobles aren't above the law anymore" lol. Hard to be sympathetic to the high lords.

Would you say "The victory of the Light is all?"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some of the alternative governments are hardly better than a dictatorship anyway. Like the High Lords (and Ladies) of Tear for example. Or inheritable monarchies in general.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's entirely relevant to the point of "the main character is becoming outright evil"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yeah, from The Shadow Rising, Chapter 22:

Standing, he dug into his pouch and pulled out the small hard object, a carving of a shiny orange stone that fit easily into his hand, a round-faced round-bodied cat sitting. He rubbed a thumb over the figure's head.

Hah! I never got this, always assumed the book was talking about something like the tiny cat statues I bought to prank my mother with. (She likes dogs)

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Lol

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Libluini posted:

Hah! I never got this, always assumed the book was talking about something like the tiny cat statues I bought to prank my mother with. (She likes dogs)

Uh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ssshh

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
So what's this about the Mercedes emblem?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Vavrek posted:

So what's this about the Mercedes emblem?

It is mentioned in The Shadow Rising.

quote:

“A grand display of artifacts of Ages long past, of the Age of Legends and Ages before, open to all, even the common folk, three days in the month and on feastdays,” Eurian Romavni had written. He had spoken in glowing terms of the priceless display of cuendillar figures, six of them, in a glass-sided case in the center of the hall, always watched by four of the Panarch’s personal guards when people were allowed in, and had gone on for two pages about the bones of fabulous beasts “never seen alive by the eyes of man.” Egwene could see some of those. On one side of the room was the skeleton of something that looked a little like a bear, if a bear had two front teeth as long as her forearm, and opposite it on the other side were the bones of some slender, four-footed beast with a neck so long the skull was half as high as the ceiling. There were more, spaced down the chamber’s walls, just as fantastic. All of them felt old enough to make the Stone of Tear seem new-built. Ducking under the rope barrier, she walked down the chamber slowly, staring.

A weathered stone figurine of a woman, seemingly unclothed but wrapped in hair that fell to her ankles, was outwardly no different from the others sharing its case, each not much bigger than her hand. But it gave an impression of soft warmth that she recognized. It was an angreal, she was sure; she wondered why the Tower had not managed to get it away from the Panarch. A finely jointed collar and two bracelets of dull black metal, on a stand by themselves, made her shiver; she felt darkness and pain associated with them—old, old pain, and sharp. A silvery thing in another cabinet, like a three-pointed star inside a circle, was made of no substance she knew; it was softer than metal, scratched and gouged, yet even older than any of the ancient bones. From ten paces she could sense pride and vanity.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

These audiobooks are so very good. Not a whole lot seems to happen in Crown of Swords (so far) but Michael Kramer and Kate Reading give a lot of scenes some life they didn't have when I last read through the series. It's a low-event book with a lot of fun scenes.

Kramer especially makes things really good, maybe because he always gets the Mat POVs. Every time he busts into his "random old man bumpkin answering a question of m'lord" voice I laugh, it's such a good voice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pleads posted:

These audiobooks are so very good. Not a whole lot seems to happen in Crown of Swords (so far) but Michael Kramer and Kate Reading give a lot of scenes some life they didn't have when I last read through the series. It's a low-event book with a lot of fun scenes.

Kramer especially makes things really good, maybe because he always gets the Mat POVs. Every time he busts into his "random old man bumpkin answering a question of m'lord" voice I laugh, it's such a good voice.

They're both amazing, yeah.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Gnoman posted:

It is mentioned in The Shadow Rising.

Thanks. I never really notice the small pop culture references like that, since I'm trying to see things from a within-the-world perspective. Totally missed that, even if I kind of remember the passage.

Y'all are making me think of listening to the audiobooks. I'm a fan of audiobooks generally, but have never listened to WoT, and it'd run counter to my current plan of looking up each and every single character every time they're mentioned. Well, I suppose I could pull up Encyclopaedia WoT on my phone. Decisions, decisions ...

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
I mean it'll take you approximately two million years to listen to the whole series but as I recall the narrators are pretty good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If you have a long commute, it's amazing. Mine got shorter so I had to get shorter audiobooks instead of listening to it...again.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I haven't really had a novel read to me since I was in primary school. I remember always being frustrated back then at how slow it was; and having to spend months getting a story dribbled out to you was just infuriating. I listened to that one chunk of AMOL in audiobook format, because it was released months before the book itself as a promotional thing and I felt the same way now as I did back then, it's just too weird and slow. I doubt it would work for me in a car either because when I'm driving I listen to music - an audiobook requires too much concentration.

Listening to the Wheel of Time in its entirety would take 19 days, 5 hours and 25mins, vs my typical reading speed of ~100 pages per hour.

Often I'll read WoT or something in little bits at a time over lunches and coffee but when I'm reading a book for the first time and super into it I often end up doing it in one sitting or as close to that as I can reasonably manage.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 1, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah it's to taste; I get screamy at other drivers with just music, so I switched to books and podcasts.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Try listening at 1.3x speed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

thark posted:

I mean it'll take you approximately two million years to listen to the whole series but as I recall the narrators are pretty good.

I’ve been listening for 3 years and I’m in the last battle right now. So yeah.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I burn through like 7.5-8 hours of WoT time at work every day, so it doesn't take me too long.

If I were Mat or someone who hung around the Core Group a lot I would piss off the uncrowned King of Malkier by always calling him "Land"

Which is an idea I think would be good in a "Bored of The Rings" style Lampooning of WoT. Not just one book. I'm talking all 15(well 14 and 1 normal size) thick novels parodied

Brolander fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 1, 2019

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Honestly the worst part of the audiobooks is getting into the middle of someone's super twisting inner monologue that can run on for half an hour of reading, and then get to work. When you continue it may be hard to remember just who the hell is thinking right now.

That said, I've run through the WoT audibooks twice in the last few years. It really is perfect for making commutes fly by. The first time I listened (had any exposure to, actually. I thought a 24hr audiobook would be the best choice for a solo roadtrip so EoTW it was) I was driving through remote Western Colorado as the party fled across the world, and it fit so well its like I was there.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

KNIFE OF DREAMS
Jesus, I forgot about Rand barely giving a poo poo about his hand. Nynaeve is like dude you're in shock and Min is like nope he's not he's just buried it already

yeah, Rand's fall is completely and totally believable and well done

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

KOD
Ok, gently caress Elayne. I had forgotten just how blatantly loving obvious the trap was, and that literally everyone tried to talk her out of it.
jesus christ.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

KOD
Ok, gently caress Elayne. I had forgotten just how blatantly loving obvious the trap was, and that literally everyone tried to talk her out of it.
jesus christ.

elayne sucks without redemption
dyelin should be queen

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Elayne is usually a better character than Nynaeve until near the end of the series

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Elayne is usually a better character than Nynaeve until near the end of the series

yeah thats fair, elayne only becomes absolutely 100% awful from when she gets back to camelyn

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah she's only like 99,5% awful until that point.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

awesmoe posted:

elayne sucks without redemption
dyelin should be queen

One of my big problems with Elayne is that it feels like she gets everything she wants without really having to sacrifice for it personally. Egwene and the collar, Rand was in the box, Perrin and the Whitevloaks, Mat and everything in Rhuidean, etc. etc.

Elayne gets to be Aes Sedai, Queen of Andor and Cairhien, her mother is alive, her better brother survives, gets to have Rand's kids, all of that without having to give anything of herself. If she'd come back, seen the possibility of a civil way and realised "Hey, supporting Dyelin means avoiding that and getting a loyal Ally and I can get to work on making Cairhien a stable country for what's to come," it would have felt a lot earned and would have made me a lot more sympathetic to her.

As it was, she felt like any other Noble, putting her own ambition above her people and sacrificing their lives because she deserves to get what she wants.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey that's not fair, she always feels sad when people die for her

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey that's not fair, she always feels sad when people die for her

If only there was something she could do to stop it.

So sad.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished the last battle chapter.

One big complaint I had most of the series is the insane amount of plot armor all the main characters have. Well there goes that! It was also wild to see how much poo poo Demandred hosed up.

Only 4ish hours left in the audiobook. Feels odd after listening to this for almost 3 years now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just finished the last battle chapter.

One big complaint I had most of the series is the insane amount of plot armor all the main characters have. Well there goes that! It was also wild to see how much poo poo Demandred hosed up.

Only 4ish hours left in the audiobook. Feels odd after listening to this for almost 3 years now.

If you play chill no plot games like minecraft, throwing on an audiobook is also a perfect time. Between that (although I also use that time for podcasts) and listening as I fall asleep, I'm about halfway into book five within 2 months.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Soonmot posted:

If you play chill no plot games like minecraft, throwing on an audiobook is also a perfect time. Between that (although I also use that time for podcasts) and listening as I fall asleep, I'm about halfway into book five within 2 months.

Pretty much any video game that doesn't engage the lexical part of my brain is a candidate for pairing with an audiobook/podcast, particularly if I can pause the action (or it's turn based). As a result, I've spent way more time on that kind of game over the last few years, slamming through several full podcast series and the complete works of a couple authors.

I mean, I also spend a lot of time playing video games. That's an important part of the mix.

The issue with listening to The Wheel of Time isn't that it'll take me years to complete, but that I had other books in mind first, and wasn't planning to revisit the series for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Lots of casting news today.

https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202258062515429377

https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202256801539883009

https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202256602117443585

https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202256358470385664