Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I've been of the opinion for a while that cards are probably a huge liability to impulse spenders. Some people just can't help their drat selves and while that's their prerogative, they should have the option to at least use cash if they feel it'll be at least a speed bump to draining their bank accounts.

Lottery Tickets and Credit Cards: The Dangers of an Irrational Brain:

quote:

LEHRER: In a recent paper on the neural mechanisms underlying our purchasing decisions, you speculated that the "abstract nature of credit cards" might "anaesthetize consumers against the pain of paying." How might that occur?

LOEWENSTEIN: Unlike cash, where you are turning something over (bills and coins) as you are receiving something (a good or service), with credit cards you or the store clerk simply swipes the card, which doesn't feel like giving something up. With credit cards it is also easier to miss, or deliberately ignore, how much one is spending. (A 2001 study by Dilip Soman, a professor of marketing at the University of Toronto, suggests that that people are less likely to recall, and more likely to underestimate, how much they spent on a recent transaction when they paid by credit card than with cash.) Worse, with credit cards it is unclear whether or when you are going into debt because there is uncertainty about whether you will be able to pay for your cumulated expenditures at the end of the month. Credit cards allow people to go into debt passively, without explicitly deciding to take on the debt or feeling like they are going into debt. How many credit card users who end up with $10,000 of debt at the end of the year would have been willing, at the beginning of the year, to take out a $10,000 loan to finance those same purchases? Many people who end up massively in debt with credit cards would not have done so if they had had to make an explicit decision to go into debt.

LEHRER: Have these experiments changed the way you make purchasing decisions? Are you more reticent about using credit cards?

LOEWENSTEIN: Fortunately, my income is well above the poverty line and I'm a tightwad to begin with—my problem is not spending money when I shouldn’t, but not spending money when I should. Credit cards are wonderful for affluent tightwads. They are deadly for poor spendthrifts.

The link to the paper in the article is broken but it's here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I've been of the opinion for a while that cards are probably a huge liability to impulse spenders. Some people just can't help their drat selves and while that's their prerogative, they should have the option to at least use cash if they feel it'll be at least a speed bump to draining their bank accounts.

I've always found it works the other way around for me. Once I took cash out of the ATM I already thought of it as gone, so I had no hesitation about spending it. Now that I use a debit card for practically everything and don't carry cash, every time I spend money I know it's coming out of my account so it actually feels like I've got less money at the end. Cash is just bits of metal and plastic. Money is the number in my bank account.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just be like me and obsessively check your online credit card statement multiple times a day because you never got over being kinda broke in your early 20’s.

lucat
Sep 1, 2005
Wilt thou?
Another Blazing Saddles reference - mentioning a comedic duo who may not be known today: "It's my privilege to present a 'Laurel and Hardy' handshake to our new... " while holding a laurel wreath and offering his hand.

A comedic duo reference was also in Robin Hood: Men in Tights - (to quote IMDb) When the Abbot walks out one of the bystanders yells "Hey, Abbot". This is an homage to comedians Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. Whenever Costello wanted him, he would yell "Hey, Abbott".

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" - the reason everyone in class sniffed the handout was the smell of newly mimeographed inked paper.

"Jaws" - Quint crushing the empty beer can with one hand wouldn't be as easy as today. Guys really did that to show how strong they were because the cans were not made from aluminum.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My favorite joke in Blazing Saddles is the one about killing more men than Cecil B Demille and not one people who aren't serious film freaks are likely to get. That's an old hollywood joke even at the time the movie was made and it's practically covered in cobwebs today.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
"Candygram for Mongo! Candygram for Mondo!"

Me, then: "What the gently caress's a 'candygram'? "

Kids today "Oh, like an Uber Eats"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

My favorite joke in Blazing Saddles is the one about killing more men than Cecil B Demille and not one people who aren't serious film freaks are likely to get. That's an old hollywood joke even at the time the movie was made and it's practically covered in cobwebs today.

That's why Brooks, taking a page from George Lucas, will be redubbing the line in the next release to "More children than John Landis"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

alexandriao posted:

I know (from the mouth of a BT tech on an open day) that BT repair vans, when they've been called in for bad wifi coverage, sometimes do the llegal trick of tuning the radio to a common frequency band and driving around. They usually find someone running their washer or dryer and they pay them to replace the machine with a new one where something something is shielded.

i don;t quite understand how these things are connected?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"You'd do it for Randolph Scott." :colbert:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i don;t quite understand how these things are connected?

You don't see how the BBC picking up EM bands to see if someone's watching TV is related to BT illegally picking up EM bands to check for WiFi interference is related?

They're doing roughly the same action (snooping on EM bands) and the one is definitely illegal.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Animal-Mother posted:

"You'd do it for Randolph Scott." :colbert:

When I think about it, an awful lot of the references and attitudes are very dated and unrelatable to today, with the exception of the racism. Which kind of depresses me a bit.

Oh, apart from the farting. I feel a bit better now.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

alexandriao posted:

You don't see how the BBC picking up EM bands to see if someone's watching TV is related to BT illegally picking up EM bands to check for WiFi interference is related?

They're doing roughly the same action (snooping on EM bands) and the one is definitely illegal.

I don't know what BT is. British Topographers? Bandy-legged Toplessstripteaseartists? I'm interested if it's the second one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is receiving wifi bands to check for interference illegal in the UK?

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 2, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I don't know what these things mean or why thy would be illegal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

alexandriao posted:

lmao

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

lucat posted:

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" - the reason everyone in class sniffed the handout was the smell of newly mimeographed inked paper.

Yeah, old copies used to be made from something called a ditto machine which made very low quality but very cheap copies at a time when copiers or printers were very expensive for schools. They apparently had a distinct smell when freshly copied.

When I was in school we already had proper copiers but the teachers would still refer to the handouts as “dittos”, I just assumed it was slang for a handout and much later learned that it referred to copies made on those old machine. I guess the word lasted longer than the technology, although I doubt it’s still in use in schools today.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Ditto machines used alcohol to bleed ink from a master (they were also called "spirit duplicators"). Mimeographs used a stencil and forced ink. There was also the jellygraph, where a person could make a master with a special thick ink, press the paper into a gelatin sponge, and then stamp copies.

Ditto machines were neat in that you took the master and traced the back of it with a special purple pen, then placed the paper onto a drum with the traced side out. Then alcohol was soaked onto it and you rolled copies out. If you had cheap copied worksheets as a kid with purple ink that sometimes smelled like alcohol, that was a ditto.

I remember, in elementary and junior high, tracing the backs of papers for the ditto machine and editing mimeographed worksheets (because nobody wanted to remake the mimeograph master stencil) for different classes, because some teachers had one and some had the other and I was a huge suckup.

Mimeograph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcaHSJNgidA

Ditto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqZEq9gTbfA

Hectograph/Jellygraph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6SyMbzRbmM

(psst: you may still hectographs used in one industry today: tattoo stenciling)

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 2, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Animal House have a scene where they rummaged through the trash for the ditto test copies. The other frat put fake test answers in the dumpster for them to find.

Which now explains why Bluto thought the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mystes posted:

Is receiving wifi bands to check for interference illegal in the UK?

According to a literal BT technician, yeah. I don't get why it is either. Probably some obscure law that nobody can be assed to change.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I don't know what BT is. British Topographers? Bandy-legged Toplessstripteaseartists? I'm interested if it's the second one.

British Telecom

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what these things mean or why thy would be illegal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_frequency

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Back on topic, I'm finding more and more people who don't understand how to properly respond to "You don't mind, do you?" and similar phrases. Usually to say "no" means that you don't mind, in other words that it is ok to do whatever it is. Likewise answering "yes" means that you do mind, which means it is not ok to do whatever it is.

Most people these days below a certain age seem to not understand the question and answer a general affirmative "yes", when what they really mean is that they don't mind. It's small but it's irritating because I have to ask what they really mean every single time.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 2, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think I heard that there's a shift in using on accident vs by accident as well depending mostly on age

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think I heard that there's a shift in using on accident vs by accident as well depending mostly on age

Of every country's native turns of phrase, none sounds more horrendously mangled to me than 'on accident'.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
I can see the logic to using "on accident", instead of "by accident", because the counterpart is "on purpose". You would never phrase it as "by purpose". So someone assuming that English is a sensible and reasonable language would think that if it's "on purpose," it must be "on accident" too.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jeza posted:

Of every country's native turns of phrase, none sounds more horrendously mangled to me than 'on accident'.

"I could care less"

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

tinytort posted:

I can see the logic to using "on accident", instead of "by accident", because the counterpart is "on purpose". You would never phrase it as "by purpose". So someone assuming that English is a sensible and reasonable language would think that if it's "on purpose," it must be "on accident" too.

English is three languages in a racist trenchcoat.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
John Carpenter's The Thing, But For Grammar

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
NPR had a segment today about the death of the apostrophe and how things like texting and Twitter are killing its use.

Or it's use.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

NPR had a segment today about the death of the apostrophe and how things like texting and Twitter are killing its use.

Or it's use.

It's hilarious that everyone mangled that story about the old man's yell-at-clouds club shutting down, its mission was mostly to prevent overuse of the punctuation where unneeded.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That doesn't clarify anything for me.

alexandriao posted:

Back on topic, I'm finding more and more people who don't understand how to properly respond to "You don't mind, do you?" and similar phrases. Usually to say "no" means that you don't mind, in other words that it is ok to do whatever it is. Likewise answering "yes" means that you do mind, which means it is not ok to do whatever it is.

Most people these days below a certain age seem to not understand the question and answer a general affirmative "yes", when what they really mean is that they don't mind. It's small but it's irritating because I have to ask what they really mean every single time.
Ask a less stupid question then. Both "yes" and "no" work - "No, I don't mind" or "yes (you are correct) I don't mind" - and it feels more natural to give permission with an affirmative answer. You could ask "Could/may I...?" instead.

mystes
May 31, 2006

alexandriao posted:

The way yes and no are used to answer questions depends on the language so there isn't really an inherent "right" or "wrong" way. If younger people are answering it differently than you would that just means that either you're old and the language has changed, or they're speaking a different dialect than you are.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

Tiggum posted:

That doesn't clarify anything for me.

What the BT tech is probably tuning an fm receiver to the frequency of the wifi channel, looking for noise, as it's amplitude goes up you are probably getting closer. for example a dying electrical appliance can spit out a lot of RF interference.

With analogue TVs you could pick up the IF (intermediate frequency) of the tv receiver. And then locate an unlicensed TV. for information here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_frequency

Now you're still able to pick up the IF of a digital receiver. but, is it a TV, Digital Radio or something else? I'll leave that for the TV detector vans.

Over here in Australia, the ACMA (Australian Communications and Media Authority) does have vans, looking for RF interference, people transmitting on bands they're not meant to, and regulating the RF Spectrum. They have vans, covered in antennas for that purpose.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

shame on an IGA posted:

I remember the heady days when there was only THE phone company, an all-powerful organization of which you lived in existential fear

Phone cops were not an unrealistic fear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPzTG1Lx60

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Another Blazing Saddles one:

You might notice Mongo's steed has 'yes' and 'no' on its butt. It's a reference to the proper way to pass a school bus.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
It's already strange to watch pre 1990's media where people smoke cigarettes all the time. And older the media the more random places people seem to smoke. But since smoking is on the way out, will it be totally incomprehensible sometime in the future?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Fish of hemp posted:

It's already strange to watch pre 1990's media where people smoke cigarettes all the time. And older the media the more random places people seem to smoke. But since smoking is on the way out, will it be totally incomprehensible sometime in the future?

Seriously doubt it. It has such universal cultural cachet and recognition that it is pretty indelibly marked on a whole swathe of modern human history. Attitudes may change and people may view scenes differently/not get little 'things' to do with smoking, but it will be generally understood.

Like, people don't really use spittoons for any reason, but people know what they are roughly in the context of a Western. Likewise for anything that wasn't just a passing fad really, so long as you have a tiny amount of historical knowledge, you'll understand now what an opium den is, what opium does, but everything to do with taking opium in the late 19th century is pretty radically removed from modern society.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fish of hemp posted:

People are going to be smoking forever. It is somewhat stigamatized in the high earning parts of the US but ubiquitous in many other parts of the world.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

Iunno, it seems to be boomeranging in media representation. Everyone stopped showing smoking on screen for a while so it's become a really easy way to show how cool and edgy and serious your show is which means everyone is doing it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
There's always period drama. Currently watching the Deuce and the smoking is constant

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jeza posted:

Seriously doubt it. It has such universal cultural cachet and recognition that it is pretty indelibly marked on a whole swathe of modern human history. Attitudes may change and people may view scenes differently/not get little 'things' to do with smoking, but it will be generally understood.

Like, people don't really use spittoons for any reason, but people know what they are roughly in the context of a Western. Likewise for anything that wasn't just a passing fad really, so long as you have a tiny amount of historical knowledge, you'll understand now what an opium den is, what opium does, but everything to do with taking opium in the late 19th century is pretty radically removed from modern society.

here's something that hosed me up to realize: spittoons were invented in the 19th century. chewing tobacco dates back to prehistory, as it's one of the earliest cultivated non-food crops in the Americas.

where the gently caress did they spit before the invention of the spittoon?????????????????????????

a spittoon is not a hard thing to invent. you got a bucket? great. put it on the ground. spit in it. you just invented the spittoon, here's all the money in the loving world, its five thousand dollars printed on huge weird red and silver sheets, because we're living in before the 19th century.

what the gently caress people.

edit- yeah they existed sporadically in history through then but they didn't take off in prominence until public hygeine was invented in the 19th century to spite tuberculosis. humanity is disgusting.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Straight White Shark posted:

Iunno, it seems to be boomeranging in media representation. Everyone stopped showing smoking on screen for a while so it's become a really easy way to show how cool and edgy and serious your show is which means everyone is doing it.

The chain smoking FBI guy in Mindhunter is crazy to watch. Dude is puffing away constantly on airplanes and in restaurants. I don't think he has a scene where he's not smoking