Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
free virgil...

frgil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

lol it literally ends with “I’m the ideas guy someone else should start a petition”

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

How is Ross any different from mexican drug lords who sell drugs and order hits? Other than bitcoin

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

How is Ross any different from mexican drug lords who sell drugs and order hits? Other than bitcoin

free rosses have less moral qualms maybe?

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

according to his family, the color of his skin

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

does that mean bitcoin will go below 10k :ohdear:

the price has been above 10k since october and its still going up:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
You're gonna need google translate for this one but it's super funny. Some brazilian dude created a scam shitcoin, swindled a lot of people, one of them decided to kidnap his mother and sister in law

https://g1.globo.com/go/goias/notic...-para-mim.ghtml

quote:

Kidnapper threatens to kill entrepreneur's mother if he doesn't get $ 8 million: 'A little homicide is little to me'

The businessman's old sister-in-law was caught in Anapolis and spent more than 10 hours under threat from criminals. They were rescued without injuries in rural MG.

Audios and videos released by the Civil Police show kidnapping threats to the business mother of Anápolis, 55 km from Goiânia. She and the victim's ex-sister-in-law were taken from the city and criminals asked for $ 8 million in bitcoins not to hurt women.

According to the investigations, the businessman has a company that works with cryptocurrency transactions that went into judicial recovery. The kidnapper would be one of the investors who felt aggrieved with the bankruptcy of the company and wanted to charge a part.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

nerdz posted:

You're gonna need google translate for this one but it's super funny. Some brazilian dude created a scam shitcoin, swindled a lot of people, one of them decided to kidnap his mother and sister in law

https://g1.globo.com/go/goias/notic...-para-mim.ghtml

nice try but you're not going to make me read an article about bitcoins, brazil and someone's sister

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

nice try but you're not going to make me read an article about bitcoins, brazil and someone's sister

yeah dont bother, I already put everything that matters in quotes

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I checked on Ross the other day and he’s in Tucson, though the federal prisoner locator website is real bad, they should probably use a blockchain to track inmates for proof of incarceration.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
at least mexican drug lords aren't libertarians

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Masiakasaurus posted:

according to his family, the color of his skin

I had forgotten about this

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Qwertycoatl posted:

the price has been above 10k since october and its still going up:

ah good, i was worried or a moment

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

the mexicans didn’t fetch a car in the rain or get a piece of trash out of a poisonous tree

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/johnhultquist/status/1201293445152813056

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the real story itp is that people are building web sites on R backends

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gazpacho posted:

the real story itp is that people are building web sites on R backends

biggest news site in Brazil lol

I think it's just a dumb nonstandard naming thing though, I'm pretty sure they run on ror

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

... starting now!

For real this time

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ah let me introduce you to walter block thought, which says that they are the same and also virtuous

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
is there any way to sue math

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i just love how bitcoiners go on about security and trustlessness and burying things under birdbaths they keep giving large amounts of money to these exchanges

bitcoin exchanges have like a 99% chance of taking your money at this point

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

i just love how bitcoiners go on about security and trustlessness and burying things under birdbaths they keep giving large amounts of money to these exchanges

bitcoin exchanges have like a 99% chance of taking your money at this point
i think that is very misleading. the exchanges have a very good chance of having your money stolen or lost before the exchange can exit scam themselves.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ross from friends ?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

CampingCarl posted:

i think that is very misleading. the exchanges have a very good chance of having your money stolen or lost before the exchange can exit scam themselves.

"stolen" or "lost" ;)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

...! posted:

free virgil...

frgil?
:wrong:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

frigil

frosty

im sensing a pattern here...

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
There is now a Lightning Network ATM! It's made of cardboard. Literally.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
bitcoin is anti-frigil

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

There is now a Lightning Network ATM! It's made of cardboard. Literally.

I'm a big fan of the glory hole (near the FIAT hole) on the LightningATM

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClemencyForRoss/status/1201899072363192321

#SashimiForRoss

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1201882204449771521

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
how the gently caress does any of that use blockchains to do anything at all, except be a slow database

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

i only use free range organic parts in my airplanes and need a blockchain to verify every part of the supply chain

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Magrov posted:

bitcoin is anti-frigil

i wish

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

you'll be 0% surprised that this is 100% the usual bullshit

How it works:

quote:

Earlier this year, a Boeing 777-300 aircraft, bound for Los Angeles Airport (LAX) departing from Auckland (AKL), carried out a proof of concept centred around the simulation of a broken cabin part. Upon reaching cruising altitude, the crew radioed back to the Air New Zealand maintenance facility in Auckland to report a Business Premier bumper part - which sits between seat and monitor to ensure the seat isn’t damaged when the screen is pushed back to default position - needed replacing.

The maintenance team used its access to a digital catalogue of parts uploaded by Air New Zealand’s MRO provider, Singapore-based ST Engineering, and ordered a replacement component. ST Engineering identified the nearest certified 3D printing system to where the passenger plane was due to land and pushed the order through for Moog Aircraft Group to additively manufacture. This all happens at approximately 1am Pacific Time. By 7am, the mobile printer is deployed, printing the part ready for use well before the aircraft lands at 11am. Within 30 minutes of being on the tarmac, the part is replaced, and the plane can now complete its three more scheduled trips before returning to Auckland.

"but" you ask "this is just sending messages via computer. what does the blockchain bit do?"

quote:

Moog’s answer to this hypothetical, yet likely scenario is VeriPart, the programme which catalogued digital files of parts for Air New Zealand to access during the failed part simulation. This demonstration of the VeriPart programme validates Moog’s goal of creating a digital marketplace that is open to all part suppliers. VeriPart is a private permissioned environment, meaning the intellectual property of supplies is protected by encryption so only those with access can get information on parts. The need for physical inventory is taken away, parts can be requested on-demand, both in remote locations via mobile devices and with workstations on the shop floor. Meanwhile, Ethereum blockchain technology is ensuring traceability of every step of the process, from the design and production of parts, to the journey it takes from conception through to installation.

the only bit of the blockchain that does anything is: transactions are logged.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

divabot posted:

VeriPart is a private permissioned environment, meaning the intellectual property of supplies is protected by encryption so only those with access can get information on parts.
you wouldnt download a plane

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

oh no not the Business Premier bumper part, save us moog!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

CampingCarl posted:

you wouldnt download a plane

:wrong:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im downloading a plane rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013