Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here’s a trailer for Severin’s Black Friday releases. Blood on Satan’s Claw looks pretty neat. Kinda givin me Wicker Man vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNxD7zouBn0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Blood in Satan's Claw is legit extremely good and cool and gets my coveted seal of approval. Between Severin's five releases they announced and whatever Vinegar Syndrome's mystery titles are (please one of them be Spookies), my wallet is going to be hurting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Lol yeah. It's been out of print for a few years.

I had rented the first disc from Netflix and after seeing two episodes, I was nuts about the show... and saw it was only $20 on Amazon, so I snatched it up, so I wouldn't have to wait days between discs.

Still think Fall Out is one of the best finales of all time, up there with both finales of Twin Peaks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultraviolence123 posted:

Blood in Satan's Claw is legit extremely good and cool and gets my coveted seal of approval. Between Severin's five releases they announced and whatever Vinegar Syndrome's mystery titles are (please one of them be Spookies), my wallet is going to be hurting.

Good news! It is Spookies in two different slip covers!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

drat this is surreal. I can't believe I just ordered Spookies on Blu Ray and it was $10 cheaper than what I paid for the VHS.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Woke up this morning ready to go hog wild at VinSyn, ended up just buying their new releases of Spookies and the Angel collection instead. I mean, in addition to Tammy and the T-Rex which I bought months ago naturally.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Amazon has The Wizard of Oz UHD for $12. Anyone with a 4K player should get this since it's going to be your demo disc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn why did no one tell me that the Angel collection is available at VinSyn?! I used to have dumb lobby cards for those films as a kid.

Of course I'm broke now so I can't pick that or Spookies up.

What's the opinion of The Man Who Laughs? Was thinking of getting it for a christmas present.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive is doing a 4 for $44 deal right now. Releases from August through November not included, nor multi-disc sets, but free shipping for $100+ pre-discount or $2.50 for shipping otherwise.
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive

They've been doing some incredible work lately. Some recommendations...

The Thin Man - new 4K transfer, blows away the old DVD
Footlight Parade - fun screwball comedy/Busby Berkeley musical starring James Cagney
The Thing from Another World - new restoration, again, blows away the old DVD
The Sea Hawk - Errol Flynn swashbuckler directed by Michael Curtiz
Horror of Dracula - new remaster using StudioCanal's 4K transfer, but with totally re-done color timing to match original dye-transfer prints
Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s (volumes 1, 2, and 3) - Gorgeous 4K restorations from the original negatives
Gun Crazy - one of the best noirs
The Hanging Tree - underrated 50s western with Gary Cooper, Karl Malden, and George C. Scott
The Green Slime - Japanese-American co-production space monster movie
The Sea Wolf - Jack London adaptation with Edward G. Robinson, Ida Lupino, and John Garfield, directed by Michael Curtiz
Innocent Blood - Fun horror-comedy by John Landis with Robert Loggia and Don Rickles as vampires, plus it's the uncut pre-release version with extra gore and nudity (also has Frank Oz, Sam Raimi, Dario Argento, Tom Savini, and Forrest J. Ackerman in bit parts)
The Loved One - Weird 60s comedy by Tony Richardson, shot by Haskell Wexler and features an all-star cast including Jonathan Winters, Robert Morse, Rod Steiger, John Gielgud, and Liberace as a casket salesman
Night Moves - Neo-noir with Gene Hackman
Ride the High Country - Sam Peckinpah's first film
Body Snatchers - Abel Ferrara's remake/sequel to Invasion of the Body Snatchers

There's also some titles originally released under the regular Warner line that went OOP that are back in print under Warner Archive:

Cabaret
A Streetcar Named Desire
Papillon
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Meet Me in St. Louis

FilthyImp posted:

What's the opinion of The Man Who Laughs? Was thinking of getting it for a christmas present.

One of the great silent films. Flicker Alley's Blu-ray is fantastic - it uses Universal's new 4K restoration (from a 35mm safety fine-grain positive made from the camera negative in the 50s) with both a new orchestral score and the original 1928 music/effects track

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Egbert Souse posted:

One of the great silent films. Flicker Alley's Blu-ray is fantastic - it uses Universal's new 4K restoration (from a 35mm safety fine-grain positive made from the camera negative in the 50s) with both a new orchestral score and the original 1928 music/effects track
Thanks. I've been wanting to grab it since the restoration came out but just haven't made the jump. Wish it had a digital code I suppose.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Don’t forget to check out Deep Discount, y’all. Get 15% off your order with the code TURKEYDAY. Saw the Batman movies on 4k for $15 each before discount, among other great picks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner Archive is doing a 4 for $44 deal right now. Releases from August through November not included, nor multi-disc sets, but free shipping for $100+ pre-discount or $2.50 for shipping otherwise.
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive

They've been doing some incredible work lately. Some recommendations...

The Thin Man - new 4K transfer, blows away the old DVD
Footlight Parade - fun screwball comedy/Busby Berkeley musical starring James Cagney
The Thing from Another World - new restoration, again, blows away the old DVD
The Sea Hawk - Errol Flynn swashbuckler directed by Michael Curtiz
Horror of Dracula - new remaster using StudioCanal's 4K transfer, but with totally re-done color timing to match original dye-transfer prints
Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s (volumes 1, 2, and 3) - Gorgeous 4K restorations from the original negatives
Gun Crazy - one of the best noirs
The Hanging Tree - underrated 50s western with Gary Cooper, Karl Malden, and George C. Scott
The Green Slime - Japanese-American co-production space monster movie
The Sea Wolf - Jack London adaptation with Edward G. Robinson, Ida Lupino, and John Garfield, directed by Michael Curtiz
Innocent Blood - Fun horror-comedy by John Landis with Robert Loggia and Don Rickles as vampires, plus it's the uncut pre-release version with extra gore and nudity (also has Frank Oz, Sam Raimi, Dario Argento, Tom Savini, and Forrest J. Ackerman in bit parts)
The Loved One - Weird 60s comedy by Tony Richardson, shot by Haskell Wexler and features an all-star cast including Jonathan Winters, Robert Morse, Rod Steiger, John Gielgud, and Liberace as a casket salesman
Night Moves - Neo-noir with Gene Hackman
Ride the High Country - Sam Peckinpah's first film
Body Snatchers - Abel Ferrara's remake/sequel to Invasion of the Body Snatchers

There's also some titles originally released under the regular Warner line that went OOP that are back in print under Warner Archive:

Cabaret
A Streetcar Named Desire
Papillon
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Meet Me in St. Louis

Cleopatra Jones.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

Woke up this morning ready to go hog wild at VinSyn, ended up just buying their new releases of Spookies and the Angel collection instead. I mean, in addition to Tammy and the T-Rex which I bought months ago naturally.

Yeah, I didn't go hog wild this year either, mainly because I've been going hog wild and am pretty caught up. Did snag The Phone Book and both VSA titles, and of course the 2020 bundle.

Also: Cleopatra Jones owns, just watched it on Netflix a week or so ago.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout Factory sale: https://www.shoutfactory.com/page/l...PHPNSOd2E198vzg

and Film Movement sale:
https://www.filmmovement.com/classics-sale

Also, Vinegar Syndrome isn't always my cup of tea, but everyone should pick up their Blu-ray of Putney Swope. Awesome movie and the 4K restoration is pretty amazing given it's a low budget film. Looks like they also have a few copies of Catch My Soul left, which is a weird rock opera version of Othello from the 70s starring Ritchie Havens and Susan Tyrell and directed by Patrick McGoohan, shot by Conrad Hall.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 29, 2019

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Rubber shoulders with other actual human beings and dug through the bins of movies at Wal Mart like an animal. It wasn't really worth it, most of the good stuff was gone, but I managed to find an UHD of Wizard Of Oz for $9.99.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon also has E.T. UHD for $10 and Superman: The Movie for $20.

Superman seems like a good deal, especially since there's a Warner Archive release for $15 with the 3 1/2 hour TV cut and the 2000 director's cut.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Love VS's Angel Collection packaging.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Love VS's Angel Collection packaging.

the second movie, Avenging Angel is the best one, but part 3 has Mitzi Kapture and centers around white slavery so I'm torn.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

First movie has the titular character chased through downtown LA by a serial killer dressed as a Hare Krishna.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ultraviolence123 posted:

First movie has the titular character chased through downtown LA by a serial killer dressed as a Hare Krishna.

I have made a wise purchasing decision :allears:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Someone gave me the Avenging Angel DVD a couple years ago and I completely forgot I have it. I guess I'll be digging that out.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oh god, why did I do this to myself? I ended up buying from the Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday sale:

The Angel Collection
Body Melt
The House on Tombstone Hill (Dead Dudes in the House :v: )
Liquid Sky
Murder Weapon/Deadly Embrace
Star Time
Tammy and the T-Rex UHD
Vice Academy 1-3

And this is what I whittled down the list to. :homebrew:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bunch of great 4K deals on Amazon right now - Apocalypse Now, Braveheart, Gladiator, E.T., The Big Lebowski, Black Hawk Down, Apollo 13, Batman Begins, Schindler's List, John Wick, Dredd, Alien, etc. for around $10 or cheaper.

charles.
Mar 2, 2019

Basebf555 posted:

I think the best overall player right now is this one, because it's reasonably priced and has Dolby Vision capability, which most other players don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X70...ps%2C136&sr=8-3

It's the cheapest, but it has a whole host of issues and is considered to be pretty garbage by most people into the 4K poo poo. I have one and I haven't ran into any issues, then again that's anecdotal. If most people think it sucks and fucks up all the time, they're probably right.

CPL593H posted:

There are compared to those lunatics on the blu-ray.com forums.

Don't get me started on backwards jim

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VoodooXT posted:

Oh god, why did I do this to myself? I ended up buying from the Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday sale:

The Angel Collection
Body Melt
Liquid Sky
Star Time
Tammy and the T-Rex UHD
Vice Academy 1-3

Although I can't speak for the November releases yet, that's a solid list.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

VoodooXT posted:

The Angel Collection
Body Melt
Liquid Sky
Star Time
Tammy and the T-Rex UHD
Vice Academy 1-3

Only problem with this order is that you didn't get Spookies. Do yourself right and pick up a copy of that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

charles. posted:

It's the cheapest, but it has a whole host of issues and is considered to be pretty garbage by most people into the 4K poo poo. I have one and I haven't ran into any issues, then again that's anecdotal. If most people think it sucks and fucks up all the time, they're probably right.

It's tough to find a player that is compatible with Dolby Vision though, that's what ended up being the decider for me. But for someone who doesn't care about Dolby Vision, agreed that there are probably better options.

I probably shouldn't even care, I just have a hard time sitting there watching a movie with a Dolby Vision television, a UHD disc with Dolby Vision, but on a player that can't do it. It would nag at the back of my mind constantly.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Only problem with this order is that you didn't get Spookies. Do yourself right and pick up a copy of that.

I wanted to get it but I gave myself a limit. :smith:

Probably just gonna get it next time a sale happens, so next Black Friday.

EDIT:

Ok gently caress it, I bought Spookies.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 2, 2019

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I ordered the tammy preorder package months ago. Does that come with spookies?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

I ordered the tammy preorder package months ago. Does that come with spookies?

Did you only order Tammy, or did you order the November package?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The package

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Then yeah, it should be in there along with the Angel Collection and Candy Snatchers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh hell yeah

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh hell yeah

Just double checked (it's in the description), but you'll get Spookies. The Angel Collection and Candy Snatchers are part of the "everything" package, so you'll need to double check if you got the "everything" package if you wanted those.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Just double checked (it's in the description), but you'll get Spookies. The Angel Collection and Candy Snatchers are part of the "everything" package, so you'll need to double check if you got the "everything" package if you wanted those.

Thanks I'm pretty sure that's the one i got!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One more sale from Kino Lorber:
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1202291076050100224?s=20

LOTS of great titles for cheap, including a lot of 2019 releases.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Most importantly Cabin Boy is $8.99.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.amazon.com/Shield-Complete-Blu-ray-Catherine-Dent/dp/B07FZ7MP4K

The Shield for as cheap as I’ve ever seen it.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

I bought the poo poo out of this. What an incredible show. Can’t wait to watch it in a modern presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:unsmigghh:

I got number 30 on Savage Dawn and 35 on Vice Academy