Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

PirateBob posted:

What is the actual difference between 1660 and 2060/70/80? Both "generations" seem to get recommendations...

The structural difference is that the 16XX series lacks raytracing support, but the 20XX cards are also more powerful. Here's the rough relative performance for 10XX, 16XX, and 20XX cards over the 1060 6GB

The best way to determine which card is best for you is to look up benchmarks for the games you'd like to play to see what kind of performance you can expect. Here's some comprehensive benchmarks for the 1660/1660 Super/1660 Ti, 2060/5700/2060 Super, 2070/5700 XT/2070 Super, and 2080/2080 Super/2080 Ti. Keep in mind that most benchmarks are on Ultra/Very High settings and you can get an good amount of extra performance by lowering settings (usually 15-30% going down to "high" and 60-100% on medium/low)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Stickman posted:

The structural difference is that the 16XX series lacks raytracing support, but the 20XX cards are also more powerful. Here's the rough relative performance for 10XX, 16XX, and 20XX cards over the 1060 6GB

The best way to determine which card is best for you is to look up benchmarks for the games you'd like to play to see what kind of performance you can expect. Here's some comprehensive benchmarks for the 1660/1660 Super/1660 Ti, 2060/5700/2060 Super, 2070/5700 XT/2070 Super, and 2080/2080 Super/2080 Ti. Keep in mind that most benchmarks are on Ultra/Very High settings and you can get an good amount of extra performance by lowering settings (usually 15-30% going down to "high" and 60-100% on medium/low)

Cool, thanks. I doubt raytracing is super useful as of yet. Will probably need another generation or two to get much out of that.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Stickman posted:

Sweet looks like a normal GTX 1660 is right for me. Now to find some DEALS DEALS DEALS.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

5436 posted:

From my limited knowledge, Raytracing and better 4k support. Most monitors are 1440 though.

Thanks! I'm running 1440 monitor so probably no need to go up to 20xx with my limited requirements. Waiting on the AMD 5500 series to come out and seeing what that does to the market sounds like a good idea.

Anyone have preferred GPU manufacturers?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

3dfx.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

5436 posted:

Sweet looks like a normal GTX 1660 is right for me. Now to find some DEALS DEALS DEALS.

I'd also check out the Super and Ti models of the cards you look at - if they're not much more expensive they're a decent performance boost.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thanks! I'm running 1440 monitor so probably no need to go up to 20xx with my limited requirements. Waiting on the AMD 5500 series to come out and seeing what that does to the market sounds like a good idea.

The 5500 and 5500 XT are going to replace the 570/580/590 and compete with the 16XX lineup, so they probably won't affect 20XX prices much. The 5700 and 5700 XT are already doing that, and are decent choices for 1440p. If you can afford to spend a bit extra, I'd go with a 5700 XT over a 5700 just because it's a pretty significant performance boost for only $50.

For the 5700/XT, there are a lot of models that are hot and loud. The only one's I'd recommend are the Sapphire Pulse/Nitro+, Powercolor Red Dragon/Red Devil, and Gigabyte Gaming OC. Some of the top-end models are good, too, but they're not really worth the extra cost.

For Nvidia cards, EVGA dual-fan cards, MSi Gaming X, and Gigabyte dual/triple-fan cards are all good options. The MSi Ventus is often the cheapest model and it's decent enough but it's a little bit hotter and louder and doesn't have an idle fan-stop mode, where the fans stop spinning when you're not gaming. If prices are equivalent I usually recommend EVGA for their superior support.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can someone sanity check this build for me and/or suggest any alternative choices?

Ryzen 3600
ASUS ROG Strix B450i ITX
Corsair 32gb @3200
NZXT H210i
Corsair SF600 - worries the cables may be too short for this case?
PowerColor Red Dragon 5700XT 3 fan
Samsung 970 m2

Microcenter coming in at $1,316.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

5436 posted:

Stickman posted:

I'd also check out the Super and Ti models of the cards you look at - if they're not much more expensive they're a decent performance boost.

Seconding this Stickman suggestion. The 1660Ti is a solid upgrade if you can find it for not much more than the regular 1660.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

lollybo posted:

Saw amazon deal for 2700x for 160, not nearly as hot as deal for 130 at micro center but I figured I would buy it and sell the game and 3 months of Xbox live. What mobo and ram would you recommend? Would like to get an M2 SSD. I prefer Micro atx towers. I have an old 1070 blower that I feel could be reused and decent- I mostly do photo editing but would like to play cyberpunk when it comes out

The 2700x is a little tricky because it has a decent amount of overclocking headroom (which you can mostly cover with auto-overclocking via Precision Boost Overdrive), but it requires quite a bit of power to do so. It's still a fine cpu without overclocking, but if you want that extra 10% performance boost for high-refresh gaming you'd really want a board with VRM at least as good as the B450 Tomahawk. The only mATX boards that fit the bill are the MSi B450 Mortar and Bazooka Plus, neither of which are available in America, or the ASrock X570 which is $160. If you don't care about overclocking, a ASrock B450m Pro4 would be good enough for stock, or a Steel Legend if you want an extra SATA-only M.2 slot and your case has decent airflow.

This G.Skill 16GB 3200 ram kit is on the compatibility list for all of the B450/X470/X570 motherboard options and is probably the best deal for a compatible kit. There are kits in other colors as well, but you'd want to very compatibility by looking up their model number on G.Skill's website.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Stickman posted:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Seconding this Stickman suggestion. The 1660Ti is a solid upgrade if you can find it for not much more than the regular 1660.

Looks like there is a deal for the 1660 for $185 (MIR) and the Ti's go for around $260.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Super has basically supplanted the TI. At the same price I'd say grab the TI but the Super is really the one you should be looking at. That said, a 1660 for sub-$200 is pretty dang good.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

ItBreathes posted:

The Super has basically supplanted the TI. At the same price I'd say grab the TI but the Super is really the one you should be looking at. That said, a 1660 for sub-$200 is pretty dang good.

Its out of stock but hoping it comes back before the MIR expires (end of week).

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-gtx-1660-ventus-xs-6g-oc/p/N82E16814137400

DEALS DEALS DEALS

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Can someone sanity check this build for me and/or suggest any alternative choices?

Ryzen 3600
ASUS ROG Strix B450i ITX
Corsair 32gb @3200
NZXT H210i
Samsung 970 m2

Looks pretty good! A few suggestions:

The fan controller in the H210i isn't all that great, so it's probably not worth the extra $30 over the H210.

If you mean the triple-fan Red Devil, it's probably going to be too fat for the H200i and the psu shroud isn't removable. If you want extra clearance from the sfx psu I'd get a Fractal Design Nano S instead, or hold out for a Lian Li TU150 (but who knows when they'll be back in stock).

An Inland Professional will save you $55 over the 970, and performance should be more or less equivalent.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Looks like Microcenter has cut their CPU + Mobo discount to $20. Still likely the best deal around, but bummer.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Currently I have a ASRock Z270-M mobo which says CPU Socket Type LGA 1151.

I also have a i5-7600K Quad-Core 3.8GHz proc.

My current thought process it to do a complete rebuild maybe start of the new year keeping my case, hard drives, RAM? (I have G.SKILL 16GB DDR4 3733) and adding a newer bigger SSD to the mix along with a new GPU and probably PSU so I don't run the risk of the PSU dying and killing the newer stuff.

Two questions:
- Have CPUs advanced enough that it's worth it for me to upgrade the mobo and CPU or should I just get the best Core i7 that I can on the current mobo?

- Should I upgrade the RAM or just swap it over? Looks like it'll work in Z370 / X299 setups.

My use case(s): Video editing, exporting, gaming (mostly FPS). Since this is a work/play combo for me I'm not too concerned about the cost but at the same time I don't want to just throw money into a fire and burn it for no reason.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Currently I have a ASRock Z270-M mobo which says CPU Socket Type LGA 1151.

I also have a i5-7600K Quad-Core 3.8GHz proc.

My current thought process it to do a complete rebuild maybe start of the new year keeping my case, hard drives, RAM? (I have G.SKILL 16GB DDR4 3733) and adding a newer bigger SSD to the mix along with a new GPU and probably PSU so I don't run the risk of the PSU dying and killing the newer stuff.

Two questions:
- Have CPUs advanced enough that it's worth it for me to upgrade the mobo and CPU or should I just get the best Core i7 that I can on the current mobo?

- Should I upgrade the RAM or just swap it over? Looks like it'll work in Z370 / X299 setups.

My use case(s): Video editing, exporting, gaming (mostly FPS). Since this is a work/play combo for me I'm not too concerned about the cost but at the same time I don't want to just throw money into a fire and burn it for no reason.

I wouldn't just upgrade to an i7 - buying a used 4 core / 8 thread 7700K would cost ~$100 more than buying a new 6 core / 12 thread Ryzen 3600 that would likely last much longer as a gaming cpu. That said, if you're not having performance issues yet, I wouldn't bother upgrading at all. We're starting to see a few games have frame pacing / stuttering issues with 4c/4t processors, but most are still fine. When you do upgrade, I'd also look up benchmarks for the professional applications you use to get a sense of how they perform on Intel vs AMD processors and whether they scale with additional cores. Puget Systems is a great resource for professional benchmarks.

If you upgrade, your RAM will be fine for gaming - there's no reason to upgrade to 32GB yet unless it for your professional applications and 3733 is faster than the current price/performance sweet spot.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 2, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ryzen should kick the teeth in on a 4C/4T processor for video editing / exporting, but yeah check application specific benchmarks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Stickman posted:

Looks pretty good! A few suggestions:

The fan controller in the H210i isn't all that great, so it's probably not worth the extra $30 over the H210.

If you mean the triple-fan Red Devil, it's probably going to be too fat for the H200i and the psu shroud isn't removable. If you want extra clearance from the sfx psu I'd get a Fractal Design Nano S instead, or hold out for a Lian Li TU150 (but who knows when they'll be back in stock).

An Inland Professional will save you $55 over the 970, and performance should be more or less equivalent.

Thanks! There is an MSI Evoke 2 fan option that looks less thicc and is on sale, so that may be the winner.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Thanks! There is an MSI Evoke 2 fan option that looks less thicc and is on sale, so that may be the winner.

MSi's Evoke and Mech cards are pretty bad, unfortunately. I'd go with a 2-fan PowerColor Red Dragon, a Sapphire Pulse, or Gigabyte Gaming OC.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Still trying to determine this motherboard thing as a lot of these are changing in price over the weekend and even in availability too. I see a lot of people making GBS threads all over Realtek compared to Intel NICs. Is there actual substantive evidence that Realtek is poo poo? I don't even know what kind of NIC I have in my computer now. I just see people literally avoiding entire motherboard lineups because it has Realtek. FWIW I do have a home network where I'll be sending files around, but not sure if this makes a huge difference?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Ryzen 3600
ASUS ROG Strix B450i ITX
Corsair 32gb @3200
NZXT H210i
Samsung 970 m2

obligatory - need to have a prior gen cpu to flash newer bios.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Bank posted:

Still trying to determine this motherboard thing as a lot of these are changing in price over the weekend and even in availability too. I see a lot of people making GBS threads all over Realtek compared to Intel NICs. Is there actual substantive evidence that Realtek is poo poo? I don't even know what kind of NIC I have in my computer now. I just see people literally avoiding entire motherboard lineups because it has Realtek. FWIW I do have a home network where I'll be sending files around, but not sure if this makes a huge difference?

I saw a lot of this while shopping around too and was kind of confused by it. A bit of Googling seems to suggest Realtek's NICs had some driver issues but almost every hit was from 2015 or earlier. I'm guessing that got worked out but gamers never forgot :shrug:

I pulled the trigger on this:

Ryzen 7 3700X
ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V
Bunch of hard drivey things

Thanks to the thread for the recommendations.

Also wanted to point out something kind of PC adjacent: Amazon has Arris Surfboard SB8200 cable modems on sale for $110 down from $200 for the next ten hours. I got one of these earlier in the year and can vouch for it being a great modem for Comcast. Continuing with the Comcast example at the above sale price it'll pay for itself in about 7 months with saved modem rental fees.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Stickman posted:

The 5500 and 5500 XT are going to replace the 570/580/590 and compete with the 16XX lineup, so they probably won't affect 20XX prices much. The 5700 and 5700 XT are already doing that, and are decent choices for 1440p. If you can afford to spend a bit extra, I'd go with a 5700 XT over a 5700 just because it's a pretty significant performance boost for only $50.

For the 5700/XT, there are a lot of models that are hot and loud. The only one's I'd recommend are the Sapphire Pulse/Nitro+, Powercolor Red Dragon/Red Devil, and Gigabyte Gaming OC. Some of the top-end models are good, too, but they're not really worth the extra cost.

For Nvidia cards, EVGA dual-fan cards, MSi Gaming X, and Gigabyte dual/triple-fan cards are all good options. The MSi Ventus is often the cheapest model and it's decent enough but it's a little bit hotter and louder and doesn't have an idle fan-stop mode, where the fans stop spinning when you're not gaming. If prices are equivalent I usually recommend EVGA for their superior support.

Thank you, friend! Very helpful. I'll be on the lookout for opportunistic deals.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Beverly Cleavage posted:

obligatory - need to have a prior gen cpu to flash newer bios.

This is one instance where they should be fine because Microcenter generally pre-flashes their stock and will flash it for free in-store if it hasn’t been yet!

E: But it’d be good to double-check that there’s a “Ryzen 3000 compatible” sticker on the box and make sure they flash it if there isn’t!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

I saw a lot of this while shopping around too and was kind of confused by it. A bit of Googling seems to suggest Realtek's NICs had some driver issues but almost every hit was from 2015 or earlier. I'm guessing that got worked out but gamers never forgot :shrug:

I pulled the trigger on this:

Ryzen 7 3700X
ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V
Bunch of hard drivey things

Thanks to the thread for the recommendations.

Also wanted to point out something kind of PC adjacent: Amazon has Arris Surfboard SB8200 cable modems on sale for $110 down from $200 for the next ten hours. I got one of these earlier in the year and can vouch for it being a great modem for Comcast. Continuing with the Comcast example at the above sale price it'll pay for itself in about 7 months with saved modem rental fees.

That's what I figured, thanks! Out of curiosity where did you get the Tomahawk Max from? I see it's pretty much sold out everywhere :(

I have no Microcenter next to me..

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

From Amazon this past weekend, they list the MAX as a style variant. I'm not sure why it's putting up a $132 offer from IPC-STORE at that link, if you go digging in the other offers area Amazon itself is still selling them for $115.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stickman posted:

I wouldn't just upgrade to an i7 - buying a used 4 core / 8 thread 7700K would cost ~$100 more than buying a new 6 core / 12 thread Ryzen 3600 that would likely last much longer as a gaming cpu. That said, if you're not having performance issues yet, I wouldn't bother upgrading at all. We're starting to see a few games have frame pacing / stuttering issues with 4c/4t processors, but most are still fine. When you do upgrade, I'd also look up benchmarks for the professional applications you use to get a sense of how they perform on Intel vs AMD processors and whether they scale with additional cores. Puget Systems is a great resource for professional benchmarks.

If you upgrade, your RAM will be fine for gaming - there's no reason to upgrade to 32GB yet unless it for your professional applications and 3733 is faster than the current price/performance sweet spot.

Thanks for the tips and link. I do 1080p editing in Premier Pro for work, noticed a bit of a slowdown when they released the 2020 version. Also trying this new COD: MW game out I was getting terrible frames last night. Possible that I'm having issues with the game involving shaders not DLing properly or something but anyway.

At this point I'm considering getting the following (gotta think on it, plus I'll try COD again tonight with a fresh DL of shaders):

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-core 3.9GHz
ASRock X370

My mind could be changed, especially on the mobo, any thoughts?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
So after having my previous question answered a few days ago (thanks for that, by the way), I've decided to just go for it and get a whole new build. I'm still terrible at this, though, so I'm struggling to settle on much of anything. For reference, I'm in Canada, my budget is pretty flexible as long as I feel like I'm getting value for money (but I'd probably be sceptical about going over $2000), and I'll be using this for gaming. I have a pair of 1080p 144Hz monitors that I wasn't planning on replacing just yet, but I could see myself doing so down the road if it's worth it. I'm also historically pretty lazy about upgrading parts, so I'd rather err on the side of getting something that will age better, but I realize that trying to future-proof is a fool's errand.

My starting point was a build posted earlier in this thread by MikeC (with the location switched to Canada), but I had a couple questions and was wondering if anyone had any advice:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($244.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($569.00 @ Powertop)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1398.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-02 17:00 EST-0500

First, I was considering the 3700X instead of the 3600, based on the explanation given by MikeC in the post (i.e. that it might age better if 8 cores becomes the standard down the road), but a friend of mine said that he didn't think it was likely to make a difference. Any further advice on this? What are the odds it actually makes much of a difference?

Besides the CPU and GPU, I really have no clue how to evaluate most of the parts. Is there anything I need to keep in mind, or any alternatives anyone would suggest? I especially don't really know what to look for in a case.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Alas, I think I got a bum stock fan with my 3600x. It makes a really annoying sound/hum/engine revving up when it spins, and it's constantly spinning up and down driving me bananas. I've got an 212 Evo cooler on the way, but since it's going to be 3 or so days before it gets here, any ideas on fixing it? Or is contacting AMD a thing and getting a new HSF? I have no problem using the stock one, I'm not overclocking just doing some gaming, so if I can save the $20-30 on an aftermarket I'll take it. Ideas?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thanks for the tips and link. I do 1080p editing in Premier Pro for work, noticed a bit of a slowdown when they released the 2020 version. Also trying this new COD: MW game out I was getting terrible frames last night. Possible that I'm having issues with the game involving shaders not DLing properly or something but anyway.

At this point I'm considering getting the following (gotta think on it, plus I'll try COD again tonight with a fresh DL of shaders):

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-core 3.9GHz
ASRock X370

My mind could be changed, especially on the mobo, any thoughts?

Intel does have a bit of lead in Premier Pro performance, but mostly in very heavy workloads or for slightly faster exports - both are pretty much equivalent for 50mpbs 4k, so I suspect 1080p performance would be equivalent as well. I'd recommend a 3700x over the 3800x, though - the main difference is a slightly better stock cooler and slightly better stock performance in exchange for quite a bit more power consumption. Instead of spending $30 on the 3800x, you could buy a much better cooler like the Arctic Freezer 34 or Scythe Mugen 5 and overclock the 3700x if you really need the extra performance at some point.

I'd normally recommend a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX as the budget motherboard option, but it seems to be out of stock and I wouldn't pay $150 for it. It has better power management and features than the ASrock X370, and more importantly it's compatible out-of-the-box. Other good options that are actually in stock are the non-MAX Tomahawk (you'll have a keyboard-only bios due to ROM size restrictions, and you might have to flash the bios with a usb stick), the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite and the Asus TUF Gaming Plus (or it's WIFI variant). Both of the X570 boards have extra features like two M.2 slots instead of one, better onboard audio, more USB ports, better power management, and PCIe 4.0 (which really isn't important right now).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Viscardus posted:

First, I was considering the 3700X instead of the 3600, based on the explanation given by MikeC in the post (i.e. that it might age better if 8 cores becomes the standard down the road), but a friend of mine said that he didn't think it was likely to make a difference. Any further advice on this? What are the odds it actually makes much of a difference?

Nobody knows. The For side points to the fact that the next consoles will use 8C/16T (though I'm only seeing confirmation of SMT being reported by Digital Foundry) Zen2 CPU, and the fact that the 4C/4T i5s that had been so popular are starting to experience issues in some games (as is the current 6C/6T i5).

The Against side notes that 8 thread systems aren't having any problems, let alone 12 thread ones, question developers willingness to completely leave behind the wide swaths of people not using a $300+ CPU, and/or would rather have the substantial price difference in their pocket to put towards a newer, faster, hopefully cheaper CPU when the time comes that the 3600 doesn't cut it anymore.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Stickman posted:

Intel does have a bit of lead in Premier Pro performance, but mostly in very heavy workloads or for slightly faster exports -

No longer 100% accurate, Puget now has numbers on the X10000 and TR 3rd gen and AMD wins on export heavy workloads; that said, the X10000 chips are very close on everything but export and cost half as much as TR3.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Beaten by Stickman but seconding the 3700 over the 3800, it's a tiny, tiny bump that exists to get a few more bucks out of someone who's building to a budget rather than watching performance.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kalman posted:

No longer 100% accurate, Puget now has numbers on the X10000 and TR 3rd gen and AMD wins on export heavy workloads; that said, the X10000 chips are very close on everything but export and cost half as much as TR3.

Thanks - TR3 are monsters!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks all. I just tested COD:MW again and it's weirdly doing much better now even though a scan and repair found no issues, perhaps it hadn't properly installed the shaders last night or something.

From a work perspective it does look like the latest from puget shows Intel still winning in the exporting game but I don't do enough currently for it to be a significant hindrance from what I understand to be the higher cost of an equivalent Intel chip.

Since I don't want to mess with any BIOS fuckery because I'm a plug and play scrub for PC building I'm thinking:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (thanks for that tip)
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Elite

And I know I said I'd get a new PSU but now I'm second guessing the need, currently I have an EVGA SuperNOVA 650W this one and in February it'll be 3 years old. Since it has a 7 year warranty probably I can keep running it?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah that's fine. A long useful life is one of the reasons we like very high quality PSUs.

Also, for the thread at large, I saw a SeaSonic 650w platinum for $110 earlier today, so in this age of stupid expensive PSUs you may be able to get a truely top end model for only a bit more than a merely high end.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

Also, for the thread at large, I saw a SeaSonic 650w platinum for $110 earlier today, so in this age of stupid expensive PSUs you may be able to get a truely top end model for only a bit more than a merely high end.

Link plz....I've been checking deals all weekend and still need to buy one.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

ItBreathes posted:

Nobody knows. The For side points to the fact that the next consoles will use 8C/16T (though I'm only seeing confirmation of SMT being reported by Digital Foundry) Zen2 CPU, and the fact that the 4C/4T i5s that had been so popular are starting to experience issues in some games (as is the current 6C/6T i5).

The Against side notes that 8 thread systems aren't having any problems, let alone 12 thread ones, question developers willingness to completely leave behind the wide swaths of people not using a $300+ CPU, and/or would rather have the substantial price difference in their pocket to put towards a newer, faster, hopefully cheaper CPU when the time comes that the 3600 doesn't cut it anymore.

Okay, thanks for the run-down. Honestly, just based on my own personality I think I'll go for it. It's probably not necessary, but I'm well under my max budget and I'd rather just not have to worry about it going forward.

Anyway, here's my current build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($429.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($144.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($569.00 @ Powertop)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1532.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-02 20:28 EST-0500

Any thoughts? Any mistakes in there? As I said before, I really don't know what to look for in a case, so I'd love any thoughts on that in particular. Also, do I want a separate CPU cooler or should I stick with the stock one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232880?Description=ddr4%203600&cm_re=ddr4_3600-_-20-232-880-_-Product

This RAM has faster CAS latency. 16 vs 18. It must be gooder.