Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Sam. Die-Hardman here. You need to have regular bowel movements. If you don't you risk surgery or bad gut bacteria. Sam. Take this package of laxitives to your South Knot City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Late game spoiler, but In the last few major BT boss fights, is there a reason for the other players that jump out of the tar and throw you weapons? More specifically are they actual weapons from actual players? I figure they're just spawned from nothing and attributed to another player, but if I can dump grenade launchers into a pile to be thrown at other players, I want to pay it back. I went into a couple of those with only a bola

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Danaru posted:

Late game spoiler, but In the last few major BT boss fights, is there a reason for the other players that jump out of the tar and throw you weapons? More specifically are they actual weapons from actual players? I figure they're just spawned from nothing and attributed to another player, but if I can dump grenade launchers into a pile to be thrown at other players, I want to pay it back. I went into a couple of those with only a bola

They exist specifically to help you in the event that you didn't bring any weapons or you just suck and take a lot of damage. As far as I know, there's no way to "pay it forward" as it were. Presumably it's just the same weapons and items that player used.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/unfreshprince/status/1201340312737714176?s=20

What's the deal with these golden BTs?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I never got caught by them, but I believe they kill you when they pull you into the tar, rather than dragging you toward a Catcher.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SpazmasterX posted:

It's not. What happened is they ran his stamina low and didn't Consume Monster Energy™ Brand Energy Drink, so the game starts making Sam run out of breath and energy. This makes the rest prompt pop up, even though you can do this at any time by holding circle. This is the only way to restore stamina if your canteen is empty. Your endurance is also tied to your current stamina, so trying to wade anything but blue depth water is a Bad Idea. Still possible though if you stop walking and catch your breath in the water.

Actually it is.

Monster™️ doesn't replenish the hatched out stamina. I know because I was trapped in the loop and tried eating, drinking, and sleeping.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

J.A.B.C. posted:

I wish that sleeping had more of an effect.

The only difference between sleeping and resting is that sleeping regenerates your blood.

Necrothatcher posted:

The only slight downer was the whale boss. It looked great but did no damage to me - does it even actively attack you? I just stood on a building and fired rockets at it for 5 mins.

It does, the attacks just don't do much if you're on a building. The thing about BTs is they can't really be that aggressive since all your attacks use your own blood.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"This bike is great. It should be on that show Ride, with Norman Reedus."

lol, amazing

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Necrothatcher posted:

Finished it today and felt very happy that I managed to figure out how to cross the tar sea without looking it up or getting any hints from the game. Working out a solution from past experience and successfully trying it felt real good.

Were you reading emails and interviews regularly? Because right before that point in the game you get a buncha ones talking about how interesting the rising structures once you get caught are. They're meant to set your mind on the right track. It's very cool mechanically that it's impossible to not have past experience with the Catchers even if you've successfully avoided BTs for the entire game, because Higgs summons both types out of the blue as bossfights

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pretty happy with my Eastern zip line:

Got a branch that goes through the incinerator and reconnects to the main path, and two paths through the mountain, one of which goes through the rock donut

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there any leveling up to do in the west coast

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can't get the trophy before crossing the tar belt, but that's solely on the account of Peter Englert; the west coast doesn't have fully functioning terminals

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok so I have a truck full of raw materials.

I go more than 700m from it and apparently the system says the raw materials are up for anyone to claim.

When I get back, my truck is empty. Anyone know where the raw materials might’ve gone?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
yeah i threw them into my highway thanks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Ok so I have a truck full of raw materials.

I go more than 700m from it and apparently the system says the raw materials are up for anyone to claim.

When I get back, my truck is empty. Anyone know where the raw materials might’ve gone?

into someone else’s game. you need to stash kit in a postbox or something if you’re going to travel that far

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wait wtf in order to get the chiral ammunition upgrade you have to do one more pizza delivery quest after chapter 10 but that brings you literally a few dozen yards away from what is essentially your final goal in the game so wtf is the point of the upgrade if I never get a chance to use it??

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's not quite the final goal, chiral ammunition helps with the Reinforced BT Balloons That Split. I almost took that goddamn pizza to Lake Knot City because both goal markers were active, thank gently caress Deadman warns you with a codec call

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Wait wtf in order to get the chiral ammunition upgrade you have to do one more pizza delivery quest after chapter 10 but that brings you literally a few dozen yards away from what is essentially your final goal in the game so wtf is the point of the upgrade if I never get a chance to use it??

you have a post-game in chapter 15 where you can use it

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’m pizza, but I’m not that pizza.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Finished it last night. Like most Kojima games, the broader ideas are great even if there are tons of senseless plot twists that muddle it. Did anyone else get the impression that Amelie/Bridget being the same person happened very late in development? It only comes up directly in codec calls and the beach credits, the model for Amelie-Bridget in flashbacks and the beach is just Amelie in a white dress/mask, and there's a Bridget model that shows up when you recycle and nowhere else. The whole sequence on the moon also seems like it was written with a sympathetic Amelie in mind, not a villain. It sure feels like "Bridget is dead and controlling her daughter Amelie from the beach" was the intended plot until Kojima decided on a last minute twist.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If you didn't go "so are they the same person or what" the moment young Wagner is introduced I don't know what to tell you; it's a production-based spoiler in itself, where there aren't many reasons for that kind of casting other than setting up this specific twist

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The whole sequence on the moon also seems like it was written with a sympathetic Amelie in mind, not a villain.
por que no los dos

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ruffian Price posted:

If you didn't go "so are they the same person or what" the moment young Wagner is introduced I don't know what to tell you; it's a production-based spoiler in itself, where there aren't many reasons for that kind of casting other than setting up this specific twist

Especially once they introduce the idea that time works differently on the Beach. That's a real big red flag

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Actually it is.

Monster™️ doesn't replenish the hatched out stamina. I know because I was trapped in the loop and tried eating, drinking, and sleeping.

Truth, but the game pretty explicitly tells you the only way to restore maximum stamina is to rest in a private room.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't even notice they were modeled and mocapped after the same person. That's what I get for not paying attention!

Still think it's a sloppy twist though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I didn't even notice they were modeled and mocapped after the same person. That's what I get for not paying attention!

Still think it's a sloppy twist though.

I mean it's literally spelled out on screen :raise:

You must have blinked

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Spoiler discussion about Amelie:

While I wasn't sure of the exact nature of their relationship, it was pretty obvious that Amelie was closely tied to (if not the same person as) Bridget because it flashed to her face right when Bridget died and she said "I'll be waiting for you on the beach."
Also yes, the whole Lindsay Wagner thing almost spelling it out.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Re: Amelie

I think in the first scene with Bridget, she changes to the young version for a moment. That’s when I figured it out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there a mule camp with chemicals

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i love this dumb game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a mule camp with chemicals

In my game the one north of Mountain Knot had a few XL drums of chemicals

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

spaceships posted:

i love this dumb game

Me too :allears:

It's just so earnest. And bless Kojima for not being a loving coward and being all "oh this game isn't political." Nah he's not even in the vicinity of loving around with regards to what the game's story and themes are about and trying to say about the modern world.

I think my biggest gripes gameplay wise are just tiny things, like the odradek sequence happening EVERY TIME you're in BT territory.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Me too :allears:

It's just so earnest. And bless Kojima for not being a loving coward and being all "oh this game isn't political." Nah he's not even in the vicinity of loving around with regards to what the game's story and themes are about and trying to say about the modern world.

I think my biggest gripes gameplay wise are just tiny things, like the odradek sequence happening EVERY TIME you're in BT territory.

Yeah the ordradek cutscenes are annoying but it's a hidden loading screen so I guess there's no way around it.

I think this game was a masterpiece and all the critics panning it are dumb. For me the few times the game falters are when it plays it safe and tries to be a more conventional game like some of the boss fights and having weapons/combat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I wish that there weren't any traditional guns. The bola and anti-BT guns are cool and unique, and make you approach things differently from regular video game shooting

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Gonna be weird when the PS5’s version comes out with no loading animations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gripweed posted:

I wish that there weren't any traditional guns. The bola and anti-BT guns are cool and unique, and make you approach things differently from regular video game shooting

I can't believe you never got the shock lance that the MULEs have either.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
Most people who review video games are breathtakingly dull & and have all the literary knowledge of a 6th grader.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Game is amazing but I wish Kojima never discovered the monologue.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it’s an odd design choice. The game makes the clear thematic choice of “killing is wrong” but by the time you get nonlethal guns you’re just...shooting people until they fall down, like any other game. And I’m not really clear on the morals or metaphysics of what happens to BTs when you kill them.

I’m not saying that trying to take down armed terrorists with just your boots and a bola gun would have been more fun, but I do agree that there’s a disconnect once the guns come out

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the ghostman with n reedus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Steve Yun posted:

Gonna be weird when the PS5’s version comes out with no loading animations.

Definitely the PC release will be superior. Which will probably come out before the PS5 version.