Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Bank posted:

Link plz....I've been checking deals all weekend and still need to buy one.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-ssr-650tr-650w/p/N82E16817151198

this is titanium, but i bought it this weekend for $115 after rebate and they're still in stock

thats not candy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah looks like either of these are solid and can handle the 3950x if you're inclined

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Prime-X...ttpwwwtechsp-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SXF8GY3/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20

And as I was going to buy the TUF it sold out. ffffff

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

thats not candy posted:

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-ssr-650tr-650w/p/N82E16817151198

this is titanium, but i bought it this weekend for $115 after rebate and they're still in stock

Its very possible I misremembered my metal, as that's probably the one I saw.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Does it make any sense to upgrade my PC yet for vidya? It's not bad, but I'm curious if there are huge gains to be made now that it's been around for a couple of years.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

I had almost this exact build until fairly recently. If his budget is really tight you can find a used i7-3770 for about ~$80 that'll double the number of threads he has. I noticed a significant performance bump when I upgraded to it from the i5, 4c/4t was a major bottleneck in some newer games like Farcry 5. Outside of that you're probably looking at a re-build, though. The 970 should still have a bit of life left and giving it a bit of an overclock in MSI Afterburner can really make it feel faster (though its real limiting factor is the amount of vRAM it has).

A full mobo rebuild with the current recommended specs from the thread costs about $350, that includes
-Ryzen 5 3600 ($180)
-MSI Tomahawk Max motherboard ($115)
-16gb DDR4 3200mhz RAM ($60)

Dropping the 3600 down to a 2600 will save you ~$80 and he'll still see a good performance boost so that's a decent option to bring the total build cost under $300 and he can always upgrade later since AMD prices actually tend to drop over time unlike Intel's and supposedly Zen3 will still be on the AM4 socket (even if it isn't, going from a 2600 to a 3950x in a couple of years would still be a pretty big upgrade).

Thanks for the advice, i'll run it by him.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Does it make any sense to upgrade my PC yet for vidya? It's not bad, but I'm curious if there are huge gains to be made now that it's been around for a couple of years.

Not unless you want to spend a lot for relatively little benefit.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Stickman posted:

The 2700x is a little tricky because it has a decent amount of overclocking headroom (which you can mostly cover with auto-overclocking via Precision Boost Overdrive), but it requires quite a bit of power to do so. It's still a fine cpu without overclocking, but if you want that extra 10% performance boost for high-refresh gaming you'd really want a board with VRM at least as good as the B450 Tomahawk. The only mATX boards that fit the bill are the MSi B450 Mortar and Bazooka Plus, neither of which are available in America, or the ASrock X570 which is $160. If you don't care about overclocking, a ASrock B450m Pro4 would be good enough for stock, or a Steel Legend if you want an extra SATA-only M.2 slot and your case has decent airflow.

This G.Skill 16GB 3200 ram kit is on the compatibility list for all of the B450/X470/X570 motherboard options and is probably the best deal for a compatible kit. There are kits in other colors as well, but you'd want to very compatibility by looking up their model number on G.Skill's website.

Thanks for the detailed post. I bought the ram listed. It looks like a lot of folks are shifting to Mini ITX cases. Are there any mini ITX boards that would be a good option? I would need a slot for an M2 SSD.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

lollybo posted:

Thanks for the detailed post. I bought the ram listed. It looks like a lot of folks are shifting to Mini ITX cases. Are there any mini ITX boards that would be a good option? I would need a slot for an M2 SSD.

The Asus B450i is the best bet and actually has two M.2 slots, but it seems to be out of stock at it's usual price ($140). The ASRock B450 gaming itx would work for stock, but it has the same problem as the Pro4 when it comes to gaming. MSi's B450i Gaming Plus AC has excellent power management, but is lacking in other areas (no Gen 2 USB 3.1 ports or type-c ports, the onboard audio is a bit worse). The X570 itx boards are all good and come with two M.2 slots, but are all $200+.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I ordered a ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX5700XT-O8G-GAMING OC yesterday since it was 13% off, but later I saw some videos about the temperature and power draw being really bad. Did I buy a crap card?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boz0r posted:

I ordered a ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX5700XT-O8G-GAMING OC yesterday since it was 13% off, but later I saw some videos about the temperature and power draw being really bad. Did I buy a crap card?
It's not a crap card, but there are (usually) better RX 5700 options for less money. But I don't know what your discount translates to and how much the alternative cards go for. At around MSRP it's not a good buy because the Powercolor Red Devil or the Sapphire Nitro+ are even better (they have better coolers and BIOS settings) and they're also (much) cheaper.

The reason for that is that OC isn't really worth it on the RX5700(XT) cards because you're trading a bunch of additional power consumption/heat for unnoticeable performance gains and the default (performance) BIOS on the Asus card does exactly that, while running the fans too fast so it's not quiet at all anymore. You can switch the card to a silent BIOS with more sensible clocks, the card will lose about 2% performance but run very quiet, albeit a bit warmer.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

orcane posted:

It's not a crap card, but there are (usually) better RX 5700 options for less money. But I don't know what your discount translates to and how much the alternative cards go for. At around MSRP it's not a good buy because the Powercolor Red Devil or the Sapphire Nitro+ are even better (they have better coolers and BIOS settings) and they're also (much) cheaper.

The reason for that is that OC isn't really worth it on the RX5700(XT) cards because you're trading a bunch of additional power consumption/heat for unnoticeable performance gains and the default (performance) BIOS on the Asus card does exactly that, while running the fans too fast so it's not quiet at all anymore. You can switch the card to a silent BIOS with more sensible clocks, the card will lose about 2% performance but run very quiet, albeit a bit warmer.

I got it for the equivalent of 30-70$ less than what those two cards costs today. I don't know what they were yesterday, though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Boz0r posted:

I got it for the equivalent of 30-70$ less than what those two cards costs today. I don't know what they were yesterday, though.
There's a pretty simple to use program on igor's lab that allows you to change the settings on the strix to the same as the nitro+ and then it runs basically the same. I switched to quiet bios then copied the tables in the nitro+ review. The cooler isn't worse and the PCB is better on the strix, it is just overclocked to its absolute detriment since apparently 5700XTs are memory bottlenecked anyway. So they're pumping piles of extra heat through the card to fight against a bottleneck. Sapphire and Powercolor weren't that stupid.

Like you I got a strix cheaper than the red devil / nitro+. I regret it, but after softmodding, it's probably just as good.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I'm going to upgrade my Hard drive to a SSD. Looking though my manual (and checking online). I see I can install an M.2 SSD as well as the more usual 2.5 inch.

I am unclear of the practical and performance differences between the two.

If someone could give me the cliff notes on that I'd be grateful.

Edit: Oh, if it helps. As far as usage, It's mostly going to be reducing game load times (I'm looking at you Warhammer 2).

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 3, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

M2 comes in both SATA and NVME versions. The SATA ones have identical performance to the 2.5inch drives. It's just more convenient because they just plug into your motherboard like a RAM stick so you don't need any cables. The M2 NVME drives are much faster on paper but you won't be able to tell the difference in everyday use unless you like edit 4k videos for a living or something.

There's not much price difference between the two these day so might as well get the NVME drives. People here love the HP EX920, Sabrent Rocket, and Inland drives. 2.5" drives are also perfectly fine.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 3, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
M.2 is just the connector, there's Sata M.2 and NVME M.2

Sata M.2 is no faster than normal Sata SSD's. Cool formfactor though.
[e:fb]

I keep changing my mind about which fittings to use.

I like the black chrome of bitspower but I like the shape of Phanteks'. I wonder how it would turn out if I painted the Phanteks ones black chrome?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 3, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The plugging straight into the motherboard does sound way easier than wrestling around in my case. So looks like that's the way to go.

Obliged to you both for the prompt response.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deptfordx posted:

The plugging straight into the motherboard does sound way easier than wrestling around in my case. So looks like that's the way to go.

Obliged to you both for the prompt response.

As far as I can tell the benefit is fewer cords = less hassle and less cord routing/airflow issue, which seems worth it to me.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

AFAIK there's a few notable specifics that are edge cases but not bleeding edge cases. M2 drives can run hot in an area that already can have heat issues (the motherboard/cpu/RAM area) compared to the drive bays on most cases. Usually not an issue, especially with one of SHSC's endorsed higher quality boards.

Using an m.2 drive of any type usually disables the last 2 numbered SATA ports on the motherboard. This is only a big deal if you are adding additional drives, plan to add additional drives in the future, use the PC as a storage server, do a lot of Blu-Ray drive stuff,etc. . If you are using 1 to 2 physical drives this is a non issue on literally any PC that isn't an OEM small form factor prebuilt.

Also you will need a special adapter that is less common/more expensive to hook up a PCI-E m.2 drive via USB compared to a SATA one.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Fill your m.2 then get 2.5 drives if you need more storage is the way to go imo. By the time you need that storage 2tb+ might be more affordable (prices are currently pretty alright), and there's always HDD storage for bulk stuff you don't touch much.

I'm loving a lot of the location options cases are doing for the 2.5 drives since they can be slipped in almost anywhere.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I was going to pick up a Samsung 970 Evo Plus which Rock Paper Shotgun seem to like.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

charity rereg posted:

AFAIK there's a few notable specifics that are edge cases but not bleeding edge cases. M2 drives can run hot in an area that already can have heat issues (the motherboard/cpu/RAM area) compared to the drive bays on most cases. Usually not an issue, especially with one of SHSC's endorsed higher quality boards.

Using an m.2 drive of any type usually disables the last 2 numbered SATA ports on the motherboard. This is only a big deal if you are adding additional drives, plan to add additional drives in the future, use the PC as a storage server, do a lot of Blu-Ray drive stuff,etc. . If you are using 1 to 2 physical drives this is a non issue on literally any PC that isn't an OEM small form factor prebuilt.

Also you will need a special adapter that is less common/more expensive to hook up a PCI-E m.2 drive via USB compared to a SATA one.

I think that on AMD X570 boards that you still get all your SATA ports while using 2 M.2 drives. Agree it's a nonissue for almost everyone and if it was going to be an issue for you, you'd already know it.

I have seen cooling for M.2 drives, is it useful at all?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

I was going to pick up a Samsung 970 Evo Plus which Rock Paper Shotgun seem to like.

The 970 Evo Plus is a nice drive, but it's also nearly twice as expensive as other good drives with functionally equivalent performance outside of a few specific edges cases. The Inland Premium is just $105 (or $95 at Microcenter), and if you want a 5-year warranty rather than 3 years there's the Kingston A2000 for $110 or HP ex920 for $115.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think that on AMD X570 boards that you still get all your SATA ports while using 2 M.2 drives. Agree it's a nonissue for almost everyone and if it was going to be an issue for you, you'd already know it.

I have seen cooling for M.2 drives, is it useful at all?

X570 chipsets have 4.0 lanes meaning they don't need to steal lanes from SATA.

Some M.2 heat spreaders apparently trap more heat than they disperse.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

MikeC posted:

X570 chipsets have 4.0 lanes meaning they don't need to steal lanes from SATA.

Some M.2 heat spreaders apparently trap more heat than they disperse.

I have heard that NVMe drives can actually perform better when they're hot but I have no idea how true that is. It would not surprise me at all if NVMe heatsinks end up like VRM heatsinks, where the marketing team just takes them over and they go form over function.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I was perusing Newegg the other day and made an impulse buy of a 1660 Ti card that was on sale to replace my old GTX 960. It has since occurred to me that maybe installing this card in my almost 4 year old i5-6400 Skylake PC maybe wouldn't actually get me as much of a performance boost as I was hoping since it would potentially be limited by the old CPU/Mobo.

So what do you think thread? Am I an idiot who either needs to return the card or pony up for some new CPU/Mobo/RAM as well?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I have heard that NVMe drives can actually perform better when they're hot but I have no idea how true that is. It would not surprise me at all if NVMe heatsinks end up like VRM heatsinks, where the marketing team just takes them over and they go form over function.

NAND likes to be hot, but it doesn't like to be too hot, and the controller chip doesn't like to be hot at all, so you have to strike a balance.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

choobs posted:

I was perusing Newegg the other day and made an impulse buy of a 1660 Ti card that was on sale to replace my old GTX 960. It has since occurred to me that maybe installing this card in my almost 4 year old i5-6400 Skylake PC maybe wouldn't actually get me as much of a performance boost as I was hoping since it would potentially be limited by the old CPU/Mobo.

So what do you think thread? Am I an idiot who either needs to return the card or pony up for some new CPU/Mobo/RAM as well?

With a 1660TI you've probably got a 60hz monitor and you're probably fine. I'd slot it in and if you notice yourself being CPU limited you can pick up a new chip/Mobo for less than $200 on the low end.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

choobs posted:

It's an enormous upgrade card-wise. The GTX 960 is 5 years old and I believe you are jumping from 2GB vRAM to 6GB vRAM.

(I think your CPU is still fine, but as mentioned, you can build Ryzen to get another boost pretty easily for about ~$250)

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 3, 2019

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Stickman posted:

The Asus B450i is the best bet and actually has two M.2 slots, but it seems to be out of stock at it's usual price ($140). The ASRock B450 gaming itx would work for stock, but it has the same problem as the Pro4 when it comes to gaming. MSi's B450i Gaming Plus AC has excellent power management, but is lacking in other areas (no Gen 2 USB 3.1 ports or type-c ports, the onboard audio is a bit worse). The X570 itx boards are all good and come with two M.2 slots, but are all $200+.

Thanks, great list. So if not planning on overclocking Asrock’s weaker VRM should be okay? It seems like the others are sold out, the 3 star Newegg reveals make me hesitant otherwise would have pulled the trigger. Ideally the Asus ROG or the MSI one would be perfect for my needs but think they have been snatched by the folks who bought the 2700x micro center deal, prices on the Asus are inflated to 100 plus after MSRP. If II do plan on overclocking is the stock wraith cooler sufficient?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Alright, looks like I'm almost at the finish line. Just need to pick out a PSU now..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card ($348.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ B&H)
Total: $873.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 17:08 EST-0500

I was looking at either the EVGA G3 at 650w or a Seasonic Focus 550w Platinum:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYGFRL6/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N8YBK9/

I was also considering Corsair but heard their warranties are poo poo. FWIW I had a Seasonic in the past and the RMA was without hassle. With the 550w I'm just not sure how efficient it'll be. Don't know about EVGA but heard good things about them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The metal tells you how efficient a PSU is. A platinum PSU is 90% efficient at >=20% load with a basically flat efficiency curve after that. 92% at 50% load, 89% at 100% load. A gold is 87% at 20% and 100%, tops out at 90% at 50% load.

A 5700 stock draws like 180w under full load and the 3600X is a super efficient processor.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 3, 2019

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Think I settled on this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $797.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 17:42 EST-0500r

Microcenter has the CPU, board and SSD bundle for $300, which seems like a hell of a deal to me

Any glaring issues I’m missing? Also the case manufacturer says it comes with fans, so I won’t need to buy any separately, correct?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

dads friend steve posted:

Think I settled on this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $797.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 17:42 EST-0500r

Microcenter has the CPU, board and SSD bundle for $300, which seems like a hell of a deal to me

Any glaring issues I’m missing? Also the case manufacturer says it comes with fans, so I won’t need to buy any separately, correct?

Uhh, you missed out on the Black Friday deals on the 2700X. So unless you need 8 cores, the 3600 is cheaper right now and is better in 95% of use cases.

edit: ack forgot about the BIOS issue. Do you have a way to flash the BIOS if it isn't up to date?

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 4, 2019

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

MikeC posted:

Uhh, you missed out on the Black Friday deals on the 2700X. So unless you need 8 cores, the 3600 is cheaper right now and is better in 95% of use cases.

edit: ack forgot about the BIOS issue. Do you have a way to flash the BIOS if it isn't up to date?

I do not, which is why I’d rely on Microcenter to do it for me. But their site still shows the 2700x is cheaper than the 3600, and when bundled with the motherboard and SSD for $300 it seems like a solid deal. Now I’m not so sure :ohdear:

I kinda do want the extra cores for dev work (running docker containers and the like). I’m not spending a whole lot on a GPU either and I’m a-ok running games on lower setting if it means a couple hundred buck saved

Thanks for the input!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

dads friend steve posted:

I do not, which is why I’d rely on Microcenter to do it for me. But their site still shows the 2700x is cheaper than the 3600, and when bundled with the motherboard and SSD for $300 it seems like a solid deal. Now I’m not so sure :ohdear:

I kinda do want the extra cores for dev work (running docker containers and the like). I’m not spending a whole lot on a GPU either and I’m a-ok running games on lower setting if it means a couple hundred buck saved

Thanks for the input!

Its cool, I was just looking at the PC Partpicker price that was listed. The difference is marginal

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My brother was able to procure a 1440p 144Hz FreeSync 2 monitor on Cyber Monday and will need an eventual upgrade. He plans to play Overwatch 2, and currently will be playing the new COD Modern Warfare. His current relevant specs are:

Core i3-4330
MSI H81I ITX mainboard
8GB DDR3-1600
XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB GTR Black Edition

Would swapping out the i3 with a second-hand Haswell i5 be able to push COD/OW at 1440p at 100+ frames? I may be able to grab an i5-4690 for cheap, but would that be enough? Or should he just consider overhauling the CPU/RAM/MOBO?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

teagone posted:

My brother was able to procure a 1440p 144Hz FreeSync 2 monitor on Cyber Monday and will need an eventual upgrade. He plans to play Overwatch 2, and currently will be playing the new COD Modern Warfare. His current relevant specs are:

Core i3-4330
MSI H81I ITX mainboard
8GB DDR3-1600

Would swapping out the i3 with a second-hand Haswell i5 be able to push COD/OW at 1440p at 100+ frames? I may be able to grab an i5-4690 for cheap, but would that be enough? Or should he just consider overhauling the CPU/RAM/MOBO?

He’ll want to upgrade all around if he wants to hit high frame rates at 1440p. CPU becomes a lot more important when you’re trying to push 100+hz but of course the GPU needs to be powerful enough on the front line first.

frailimbnursry
Feb 14, 2004
my roommate touches me
I posted to Tech Support because of the error I received but hoping I may get a quicker response regarding basic compatibility here.

If my current PC is as follows:

MB: MSI P67A-G43 (B3) (BIOS: 7673IMS.1I0)
CPU: Intel i5-2500K
RAM: Patriot Signature DDR3-1600 2x8GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
PSU: Corsair TX650 Gold

I'm hoping to extend the life of the PC another couple of years. I'm only looking for 1080p/Ultra to my monitor and 1440p/Ultra/High to my TV via Gamestream/Moonlight (if possible) and the option of VR next year.

Can I simply change out the video card for an RTX 2070 Super? I bought the MSI Super Ventus OC during Black Friday but am having no luck getting the PC to boot.

Wondering if it's a bad card or the RTX series is incompatible. I thought PCI-E 3.0 was backwards compatible to PCI-E 2.0?

If incompatible, is there a single upgrade I can make or do I need to replace the CPU/motherboard?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

teagone posted:

Core i3-4330
MSI H81I ITX mainboard
8GB DDR3-1600

Overwatch will probably run decently - a 580 should be able to get close to 1440p / 144 fps with settings turned down. An i5 vs i3 would mean frame rate dips in the 110s instead of the 70s (though updates might have increased processor load since 2016).

The new CoD, on the other hand, is definitely not going to be running anywhere near 144 fps (on ultra settings it can barely hit 135 fps with a 2080 Ti and 9900k). It'll be totally unplayable on a dual-core processor, and sounds like it's not really playable on a 4th-gen i5 either. Ryzen 2600s seem to be okay, but you'd need to turn down settings and maybe even upscale from 1080p to get 60+ fps with an rx 580, and it's not going to be close to 144 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

frailimbnursry posted:

I posted to Tech Support because of the error I received but hoping I may get a quicker response regarding basic compatibility here.

If my current PC is as follows:

MB: MSI P67A-G43 (B3) (BIOS: 7673IMS.1I0)
CPU: Intel i5-2500K
RAM: Patriot Signature DDR3-1600 2x8GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
PSU: Corsair TX650 Gold

I'm hoping to extend the life of the PC another couple of years. I'm only looking for 1080p/Ultra to my monitor and 1440p/Ultra/High to my TV via Gamestream/Moonlight (if possible) and the option of VR next year.

Can I simply change out the video card for an RTX 2070 Super? I bought the MSI Super Ventus OC during Black Friday but am having no luck getting the PC to boot.

Wondering if it's a bad card or the RTX series is incompatible. I thought PCI-E 3.0 was backwards compatible to PCI-E 2.0?

If incompatible, is there a single upgrade I can make or do I need to replace the CPU/motherboard?

You should be fine. I had an RX 5700XT in my 2500K earlier this year while I was waiting for the rest of the parts to come in. PCI-E slots are all backwards compatible. Are you sure the card is seated properly?