Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I've had about half a liter of nog from last December in my fridge. Still good? It has been sitting undisturbed.

Good thing I've got this thread favorited so I can get making my Christmas nog too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I nogged a week ago and forgot to update you nog brothers! Nog well!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Got a double batch in at the start of the month.

As always did one with my normal recipe, and one with a few tweaks. Using brown sugar and a bit more rum in the experimental batch this year.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

:ohdear:

I forgot to make a nog earlier in the year. I guess I gotta start one tonight. I'm actually going to go ahead and use some kinda schnapps substitute this year; I planned on it last year and completely forgot.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Has anyone done toasted sugar in one?

e: seems like the toasted cream nogs from last year were a big success for the posters that did them.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
I have toasted cream/toasted sugar and toasted sugar/normal cream from last year still aging for this year both sets looking good but haven't tasted them yet.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any good deals on jars? I just made my batches for Christmas and realized halfway through that I do not have enough. Threw it in a 4 quart clear cab for holding but probably shouldn't leave it in there (or should i?).

e; I'm only aging it to this Christmas, will probably just leave it.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 3, 2019

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Any good deals on jars? I just made my batches for Christmas and realized halfway through that I do not have enough. Threw it in a 4 quart clear cab for holding but probably shouldn't leave it in there (or should i?).

I just use old growlers I have cleaned, sitting around. Thats worked well for me for a few years now.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nephzinho posted:

Pretty high oxygen/surface area to nog volume ratio, though I do not have a PhD in Nog Chemistry, so maybe this is a bad thing or maybe this is a good thing?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Ikea has some swing top bottles pretty cheap. Target has some less cheap. Mostly I've just used leftover liquor bottles.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I added 1 small (65ml) yakult brand pro-biotic bottle to 1 litre of milk (I used soy, but any milk dairy or otherwise will work) and within 2 days the entire litre was thickened to the consistency of the original yakult (actually a little more thicker but still very pourable). Was very very slightly tart as well (and not sweet at all, yakult has a tonne of sugar added to it)

So if anyone is wondering of ways to make a nice thick dairy beverage, or thicken up a dairy beverage, lacto fermentation is pretty easy.

I used yakult, i assume you can use goodbelly or whatever else would work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 4, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I just use quart size Ball mason jars

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I’ve just made up a batch for Christmas using Alton Brown’s recipe but only had 2 cups of 40% (80 proof) spirit to hand, I topped up with 1 cup of 35% (70 proof) cinnamon liqueur. What are my odds on accidentally ruining everyone’s new year with salmonella, or is that extra 5% negligible?

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Me: "hahaha, new posts in the nog thread, people are jumping the gun we still have OH NO"

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

I’ve just made up a batch for Christmas using Alton Brown’s recipe but only had 2 cups of 40% (80 proof) spirit to hand, I topped up with 1 cup of 35% (70 proof) cinnamon liqueur. What are my odds on accidentally ruining everyone’s new year with salmonella, or is that extra 5% negligible?

12/20000.

But really that should be enough alcohol content, does the video specifically say at least 40% ? I haven't watched it in a bit

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 4, 2019

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

goodness posted:

12/60000.

But really that should be enough alcohol content, does the video specifically say at least 40% ? I haven't watched it in a bit

I watched a few videos on it and can't remember which one, but one of them did say "make sure to use 3 cups of at least 40%".

I figured that a 2:1 ratio of 40%:35% brings me to an average of 38.3% for the spirit and the recipe probably isn't so fine tuned that that extra 1.7% is going to be the difference between delicious safe egg nog and everyone throwing their guts up.

I just wanted to make sure that nobody here had an anecdote of "Oh god, one year we used 35% and it was a disaster".

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Just taste it yourself 2 days before the party to be sure. It's both ethical and delicious

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

immortalyawn posted:

I added 1 small (65ml) yakult brand pro-biotic bottle to 1 litre of milk (I used soy, but any milk dairy or otherwise will work) and within 2 days the entire litre was thickened to the consistency of the original yakult (actually a little more thicker but still very pourable). Was very very slightly tart as well (and not sweet at all, yakult has a tonne of sugar added to it)

So if anyone is wondering of ways to make a nice thick dairy beverage, or thicken up a dairy beverage, lacto fermentation is pretty easy.

Thanks for the info. I might try this out with one of my batches, but using whipped egg whites means I'll have that many more egg yolks to make even more nog and nog-like drinks.

Speaking of, does anyone know if rompope or advocaat age as well as standard nog? Or are those more designed to be built immediately before drinking?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

immortalyawn posted:

I like this. Did you refrigerate the milk? I'm assuming no, but better to ask to be sure.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Tea Bone posted:

I watched a few videos on it and can't remember which one, but one of them did say "make sure to use 3 cups of at least 40%".

I figured that a 2:1 ratio of 40%:35% brings me to an average of 38.3% for the spirit and the recipe probably isn't so fine tuned that that extra 1.7% is going to be the difference between delicious safe egg nog and everyone throwing their guts up.

I just wanted to make sure that nobody here had an anecdote of "Oh god, one year we used 35% and it was a disaster".

Not going to say it's 100% safe but pretty sure it's a function of time as well as the alcohol content. The study that gets brought up a lot with also intentionally inoculated and effectively self sterilizing after a couple weeks. So if it's close as long as it has time I think it would be ok but maybe tasting it a couple days before hand to be sure is a good idea.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Fresh NOG or aged NOG? How aged should it be? Can I just make a batch day of and be fine? Why is this thread from last year? Can I use a carton of egg whites?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Fresh NOG or aged NOG? How aged should it be? Can I just make a batch day of and be fine? Why is this thread from last year? Can I use a carton of egg whites?

Aged nog is technically safer and you want to wait at least 2 weeks for the alcohol to do its job, but a month is recommended for the flavor. Fresh nog is only as dangerous as eating raw cookie dough though, as a comparison point

Egg white carton is a bad idea because you want yolks

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking egg whites for my whites and crackin some eggs for my yolks, but that kinda doesn't make any sense since I'll be cracking the eggs for the yolks anyway, might as well get the whites as well.

2 Weeks it is. I just want my first attempt to be safe.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Aged nog is technically safer and you want to wait at least 2 weeks for the alcohol to do its job, but a month is recommended for the flavor. Fresh nog is only as dangerous as eating raw cookie dough though, as a comparison point

Egg white carton is a bad idea because you want yolks

Isn't it safer as most cookie dough contamination comes from flour, not egg?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I drink it day of, it does mellow out a bit over a couple months. I need to do a blind tasting.

FWIW there is only salmonella on 1/20000 eggs so the risk of you getting sick is insignificant as that is more eggs than you would eat in your whole life if you ate 2 a day.

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 4, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I made a 2/3 batch of the alton brown recipe. It filled two 750ml bottles and a 200 ml bottle with a half a serving left over to drink. I cut down the sugar by an insubstantial amount (like 10%?) and its really good. The alcohol taste is still very evident (which it should be) so I can't imagine preferring it much stronger.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

On my wife's suggestion, I used maple bourbon instead of butterscotch schnapps. It smells great, and breakfasty, and the (let's face it, kinda trashy) bourbon tastes like drinking breakfast, and I'm terrified I've set myself up to be too drunk on xmas morning to be able to drive the ten minutes to my inlaws house.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Two of the three batches I made have a little goldschlager and licor 43 in them, and I highly recommend this combo

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I still have a good bit of toasted cream/joy of cooking nog left from last year so I'm just making a small batch of alton brown this year

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I just failed at basic math, so my experimental half recipe just became all-in on the Bitten Word recipe. I've filled all my empty booze bottles to the brim, do I need to account for the nog expanding over time?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I went to taste it having made it 3 weeks ago. It is so freakin good! It barely tastes alcoholic now. I want to keep some of this stuff in my fridge all the time!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gonna make and age some Joy of Cooking 'nog on the weekend, probably. Quick question: does folding in the egg whites on day 1 and leaving it for the duration ruin the flavor or something?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The reason you fold in egg whites at all is because they're foamy and make the texture of the beverage lighter. The foam will dissipate if you add them earlier.

As for how it would taste with egg whites added at the start... idk I cant see it as an imprivement.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 13, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah its just going to muddy the whole thing and you'll have to fold more in later to lighten it anyway. Just find something else to do with the whites (which I really shoudl be better about between egg nog, pasta, ice cream, etc).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool, thanks for the tips.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

I just failed at basic math, so my experimental half recipe just became all-in on the Bitten Word recipe. I've filled all my empty booze bottles to the brim, do I need to account for the nog expanding over time?

Mine usually shrinks a bit from the air that was whipped in while mixing dissipates.

Nephzinho posted:

Yeah its just going to muddy the whole thing and you'll have to fold more in later to lighten it anyway. Just find something else to do with the whites (which I really shoudl be better about between egg nog, pasta, ice cream, etc).

I usually make an angel food cake which takes about a dozens worth. Can always save any others for meringues etc or add to scrambled eggs/omelettes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What’s this thread’s opinion on the Jamie Oliver egg nog recipe?

Apparently it’s boozier than the Alton Brown nog linked in the OP, but I’m thinking about making a version with less alcohol and I’m trying to figure out how much I can safely get away with using.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

What’s this thread’s opinion on the Jamie Oliver egg nog recipe?

Apparently it’s boozier than the Alton Brown nog linked in the OP, but I’m thinking about making a version with less alcohol and I’m trying to figure out how much I can safely get away with using.

I've kinda taken Alton's as the baseline for lower alcohol nog. Most recipes tend to go boozier than he does. I've not tried Jamie Oliver's. If you want Oliver's and less boozy, I'd figure out his ABV, and then just trim a bit, whether it's replacing higher ABV things with lower or just cutting a bit until the ABV is in line with Alton.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ben Nevis posted:

If you want Oliver's and less boozy, I'd figure out his ABV

How do I do this? I tried calculating the ABV, but I must’ve done it wrong because it came out to ~15%, which is lower than Alton’s and too low to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If we assume 40% ABV liquor and that a whole egg contributes about 46 mL liquid volume, I'm getting about 5.20% ABV on Jamie Oliver's recipe and 3.58% ABV on Alton Brown's. The Serious Eats one is about 9.4% depending on whether you do the small shaken batch or the bulk one. Even if we completely ignore any volume contribution from the eggs it only tacks on about 1-2%.

For reference, the thing would have to be roughly half rum/brandy/whatever to even have a chance of hitting 20% ABV. I suspect the actual target is about 20% liquor by total volume, and the original (vaguely written) on the Rockefeller Institute site seems to support this (or not see below). Based on that, we get 13.01% liquor by volume for Jamie Oliver's, 9.03 for Alton Brown's, and about 23.4% for Serious Eats.

E: I was accidentally using the good eats one that was linked off the other question rather than the one in the OP. The one linked in the OP is about 10.59% ABV or 26.47% liquor by volume. For reference, the recipe the dude at Rockefeller used was around 14.69% ABV or 36.74% liquor by volume.

goodness posted:

12/60000.

It doesn't directly specify it, but it is implied because any whisky must be bottled at least 80 proof according to the code of federal regulations.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 3, 2019