Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ciaphas posted:

wait, she wasn't a miniboss? she was way easier than O'rin wtf

It's a big arena and easy to control corrupted monk's methods to attack if you move a lot. Big arenas are good for that kind of fight :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

wait, she wasn't a miniboss? she was way easier than O'rin wtf

have you considered you're just "gettin' gud"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

have you considered you're just "gettin' gud"

hell if i know, we'll find out if/when I go back and fight Jyobu naked

(ed) oh god water breathing, there are so many rivers and poo poo i have to go explore now :cripes:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 3, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jyobu was the horse guy you necessarily had to beat to get to the depths, you're probably thinking of gonichumi

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nah, poo poo, who was the first drunkard archetype, in hirata right before butterfly? i'm bad with names. anyway he was my first brick wall; Gyobu and... gonichumi....... genichiro?????? ... were relatively painless

(edit) Juzuo, I never would have remembered that. thanks google

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 3, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Juzou's a real jerk and if there's any (mini)boss that doesn't play by the same rules as the rest of the game it's him, what with him having pretty much infinite super armor.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wonder how much of that is also because the difficulty of this game is so front-loaded

actually, I wonder if that is more from having so few firecrackerstools at your disposal like deathblow regen and firecrackers, or if it's more from having to learn what the game wants from you (and potentially undoing years of Dark Souls instincts). I know I made close to zero progress until "You are a Dark Souls boss. Act accordingly" finally clicked in my head

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder how much of that is also because the difficulty of this game is so front-loaded

I don't know man, you're going to see some poo poo soon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As long as said poo poo is less stupid than that (those?) loving Shichimen Warrior(s)

(that said meeting another one should be interesting, now that I know you can MGR the beam attack and i've got a purple pumpkin-y thing to drink from)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 3, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cheating bitch t:mad:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha I paused the game triumphantly to go get a beer and when I unpaused I was like :wth:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ciaphas posted:

The single best thing in any From Game. This loving Ape.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

As long as said poo poo is less stupid than that (those?) loving Shichimen Warrior(s)

(that said meeting another one should be interesting, now that I know you can MGR the beam attack and i've got a purple pumpkin-y thing to drink from)

That poo poo is so retarded, especially because the air counter is so finniky, you can get 1 life with a straight air counter but from my experience the camera is bugged or it' just doesn't register properly .

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can get both deathblows on them with an air deathblow, but you need to have divine confetti applied in order for it to pop up and i from what i think i remember doing a deathblow removes divine confetti maybe?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 3, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Cowcaster posted:

you can get both deathblows and them with an air deathblow, but you need to have divine confetti applied in order for it to pop up and i from what i think i remember doing a deathblow removes divine confetti maybe?

I don't think it does, but using the skill when you've blocked a lot of attacks with the purple umbrella gives you a super short buff that's the same thing as divine confetti, but for like a hit or two, which overrides your confetti.

And yeah, lol, come back if you think the game's difficulty is front loaded, there's 3 more big boyz (well two are optional, and those two are literally big), that I think you'll have trouble with.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I want the sekiro sword clashing should effect as my ringtone

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

back in the day i really wanted the dark souls "crush a humanity point" sound effect as my text message noise but there was absolutely no way to get a clean isolated version of it

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ciaphas posted:

I'm having no luck figuring out where to go from here to progress :saddowns: Just reached the Sunken Valley entrance, what am I missing? I see nowhere to jump and hook or any available paths.

Did I somehow come in the wrong way? yep internet confirms I went the wrong way. dangit. thought I was so clever realizing right away what to do with Puppeteer. :(

Remember the place in this photo. It seems like a weird dead end if you reach it accidentally or out of sequence.

But it has a purpose. Eventually. :getin:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Yup, remember some kite and snek.
Edit: oh, you must have done the kite thing. Then just remember snek.

I am at that ape too, but went down into the pool below. That stupid non-boss monkey down there wrecked me.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
The white grandpa monkey with two swords represents Isshin as is just as hard.

Oh yeah, if you wanna see something cool use malcontent on the group of like 30 monkeys in that area.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

Remember the place in this photo. It seems like a weird dead end if you reach it accidentally or out of sequence.

But it has a purpose. Eventually. :getin:

yeah I found that purpose yesterday :mrgw:

then found the other item related to what I got from that, and jesus christ there's multiples of those assholes? the alt-earth Sekiro takes place in needs to be nuked from orbit i m o

(sort of odd how both of those are "puppet to progress" puzzles, though)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 3, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Imhotep posted:

The white grandpa monkey with two swords represents Isshin as is just as hard.

Oh yeah, if you wanna see something cool use malcontent on the group of like 30 monkeys in that area.

i underestimated that gaggle first time I got there and got my rear end whupped, won't lie

(edit to avoid triplepost combo)

Lord_Magmar posted:

The single best thing in any From Game. This loving Ape.
I sorta knew that trick was coming sooner or later as soon as I met Hanbei, even if I didn't know who would do it; but drat was it impressive nevertheless

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 3, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

loving DoH is so annoying. Had him beaten easily four times tonight but I kept losing the wall dice roll and getting killed by the camera. He eventually didn't run to the cliff or a corner and did it with four gourds.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Good lord this game is good! As someone who found Dark Souls 3 to be kind of driving that formula into the ground, and also never getting the chance to play Bloodborne... this is everything I hoped it would be. I've managed to go unspoiled on a ton of the game, so I just had a real "oh drat" moment in the second Genichiro fight. I thought I had just made it kind of easy by exploring a ton of other stuff first, so it made sense to me that I kinda blew threw the fight... then whoops Lightning God mode and I instantly got poo poo on.

I've managed to cheese my way out of lost fights with the Homeward Idol a lot, but it's still hilariously nerve-wracking every time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bloodborne is worth buying a PS4 to play at the current price point.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Bloodborne is still probably my favorite game of all time. I think I like the gameplay of Sekiro very slightly more but the setting/atmosphere/story for Bloodborne is just so unbelievably good that it bridges the gameplay gap between the two and then some.

Edit: Like, I love Sekiro but there's nothing in this game that I remember like I do with the brain rending screech of Vicar Amelia.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 5, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

JBP posted:

loving DoH is so annoying. Had him beaten easily four times tonight but I kept losing the wall dice roll and getting killed by the camera. He eventually didn't run to the cliff or a corner and did it with four gourds.

DoH is drat hard especially in first run. He is just one of those bosses you grind out with a lot of deaths and experience.

JBP posted:

Bloodborne is worth buying a PS4 to play at the current price point.

That's what I did this year, got a ps4 pro to play Bloodborne, finished it + dlc right before Sekiro came along. The month of April-May was great gaming for me. I really think anyone who loves Fromsoft's works should play Bloodborne. It is the closest they got to the atmosphere in Dark Souls/Demon Souls and perhaps even surpassed it. The rpg elements aren't as deep as the Souls game and the trick weapons don't make up for the lack of depth. But still the ability to heal off damage + the dash makes the combat better than Souls. Level design + enemy /boss design is on par with Souls which imo Sekiro isn't, even though it has some memorable bosses/levels, Sekiro's best aspect is it's combat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

endgame ashina castle is fun

the boss is......... gonna take a while

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

endgame ashina castle is fun

the boss is......... gonna take a while

Which boss

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

owl

no one particular thing is killing me, so just gotta keep throwing lives at him for practice's sake

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

owl

no one particular thing is killing me, so just gotta keep throwing lives at him for practice's sake

He's pretty tough. He doesn't like relentless attacks and you can posture break him if you can pin him in a corner. I'm on the final boss in NG++ now and I was dominating at first and then went "oh no... Oh no no" and he utterly smoked me in Japanese.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The ape reveal was cool.
But, the second phase is a slog, especially if you didn't know that you could parry break his combo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You can parry everything in the game without a red warning.

Gorilla mark two always elicits an oh poo poo reaction, when the proper Shinobi reaction is in fact "ah, a sword".

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 5, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If you've been able to get Living Force, Owl has big enough windows to be an excellent testbed for it. Getting set on fire ruins his day in all sorts of ways.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha I was fighting iss and my PS4 controller died. Game doesn't auto pause. I beat him on this run but not did that make it more tense!

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

JBP posted:

You can parry everything in the game without a red warning.

Gorilla mark two always elicits an oh poo poo reaction, when the proper Shinobi reaction is in fact "ah, a sword".

Yeah, but he does massive damage to posture. Not advisable to be staggered with no healing items.

The re-fight went smoothly, thou. Off to that weird village.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
After a while you stop caring about the posture bar because your posture never breaks from a deflect, it stays at 99%.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also, somewhat counterintuitively coming from the dark souls mindset, holding up your block clears out your posture bar faster than leaving your guard down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
^ Yup, that was a difficult habit to break.