Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Target Practice posted:

Is the sanctuary bank shared between characters?

Yep.

I'm about to start my third character and at this point about every other time I level up there's a legendary to use in the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A friend and I are slowly going through Borderlands 2. We haven't played it since launch and never beat it but it makes me appreciate Borderlands 3 a whole hell of a lot more. Those early game the guns are absolutely garbage. Horrible accuracy, bad damage, extremely long reload times. The best stuff we're getting are from the gold chest. I think it's safe to say that they finally nailed the difficulty curve in 3 with the guns having a better baseline and only continue to get better as you level up.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jimbot posted:

A friend and I are slowly going through Borderlands 2. We haven't played it since launch and never beat it but it makes me appreciate Borderlands 3 a whole hell of a lot more. Those early game the guns are absolutely garbage. Horrible accuracy, bad damage, extremely long reload times. The best stuff we're getting are from the gold chest. I think it's safe to say that they finally nailed the difficulty curve in 3 with the guns having a better baseline and only continue to get better as you level up.

I took the BL1 "remaster" for a spin earlier in the week and I know it was 10 years ago, really first of its kind for a mid-budget game, and impressive at the time, but the reload times on some of the guns are pretty brutal. And it's just the same animation as every other iteration of whichever gun frame you're using, just slowed down.

I feel like in BL3 there's a much smaller upper limit on reload time for most guns (or the animations are just more visually interesting so I don't notice).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

stuffed crust punk posted:

I took the BL1 "remaster" for a spin earlier in the week and I know it was 10 years ago, really first of its kind for a mid-budget game, and impressive at the time, but the reload times on some of the guns are pretty brutal. And it's just the same animation as every other iteration of whichever gun frame you're using, just slowed down.

I feel like in BL3 there's a much smaller upper limit on reload time for most guns (or the animations are just more visually interesting so I don't notice).

yup, that's one big thing bl3 changed for the better. now most guns feel at least usable. in 2 so much stuff handled like crap.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I find a bunch of legendaries with the same stats exactly, even in different mayhem levels. I don't remember them being so fixed in terms of stats in Bl2, but I haven't played that for at least a year.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 1, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I find a bunch of legendaries with the same stats exactly, even in different mayhem levels. I don't remember them being so fixed in terms of stats in Bl2, but I haven't played that for at least a year.

it's a definite change. some legendaries are more variable than others, but no bl2 situations where guns could be almost useless without specific parts. i welcome the change (though completely stat static legendaries are a bit weird).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

In bl2, I could play for a day and improve my load out for at least a few items (and find masses of garbage)... But I might end up with another two identical hellwalkers in 3 and that's it, I'm not feeling much point in continuing to search.

But I might totally stop caring when I find a mayhem 4 only class mod. There is that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 1, 2019

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Offline mode is weird, just trying it out now and dedicated drops seem to apply to it, I farmed the Sky Bullies a bunch and the third legendary they dropped was a Hex (sadly regular Cryo when I have a cloning one)

Skills change, like Zane being able to double up kill skills are in, but weapons seem to be in their release state, and Anointed COV are immune to Cryo.

Trying to figure out the best way to farm anointed gear, I have no idea how you are supposed to get things like the +50% Cryo Maggie.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
It's basically impossible to farm a specific piece of gear with a specific anointment, it'd take you hundreds of hours of farming. Hopefully they add some way to in the future, but really I'd want them to to a full re-work of anointments first. As-is they're kinda dumb for two reasons:

1. Anointments are really poorly balanced. Zane's +130% damage on clone swap is his best one by a mile. Amara's +250/300% on Phasecast/slam are even better. Fl4k and Moze's seem a little better balanced, but I don't have much playtime with them. At the end of the day it's always going to come down to what buffs are the easiest to keep up for the biggest damage bonus. Even stuff like infinite ammo is effectively a damage bonus from not having to reload, that's the part we care about.

2. Anointments aren't very interesting to play with. What they do overlaps heavily with the skill trees, but because they're a single-line effect strapped to weapons at random they have to be much simpler than the various buffs and effects that your skills bring. A gun that gives you a damage bonus while sliding sounds neat on paper, but having to slide 100% of the time forever to get the most mileage from that bonus isn't very fun in practice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've never really farmed bosses before but I started doing it with Killavolt and if you happen to have a Transformer shield it's ridiculously effective. He can barely touch me and he seems to drop a legendary about every other kill.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Fenn the Fool! posted:

It's basically impossible to farm a specific piece of gear with a specific anointment, it'd take you hundreds of hours of farming. Hopefully they add some way to in the future, but really I'd want them to to a full re-work of anointments first. As-is they're kinda dumb for two reasons:

1. Anointments are really poorly balanced. Zane's +130% damage on clone swap is his best one by a mile. Amara's +250/300% on Phasecast/slam are even better. Fl4k and Moze's seem a little better balanced, but I don't have much playtime with them. At the end of the day it's always going to come down to what buffs are the easiest to keep up for the biggest damage bonus. Even stuff like infinite ammo is effectively a damage bonus from not having to reload, that's the part we care about.

2. Anointments aren't very interesting to play with. What they do overlaps heavily with the skill trees, but because they're a single-line effect strapped to weapons at random they have to be much simpler than the various buffs and effects that your skills bring. A gun that gives you a damage bonus while sliding sounds neat on paper, but having to slide 100% of the time forever to get the most mileage from that bonus isn't very fun in practice.

I’ve got some super sweet annointments on my Moze. I found a corrosive warlord with an anointment that gives it 50% bonus shock damage after I come out of iron bear. Together with cloud of lead I get corrosive, shock, and fire in one gun as long as I don’t reload 3 times after exiting iron bear.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The game apparently wants me to play Zane because I can only seem to get Zane anoints on guns. But not the good one; of course.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

With the new way that legendaries drop, do legendaries only drop from bosses that have them in their dedicated loot table, or are they just more likely to drop from those bosses? I haven't played in a couple of weeks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Does anyone know how possible it is to replace the Firehawk graphic on the moon, with a custom image... E,G Goatse?
A perfect setting for goons.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 1, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I wish that the Hyperion corrosive prefix was Basic so I could have a Basic Bitch.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Quick question: I played at launch and have a non pro PS4. I had some input lag that was somewhat mitigated by fiddling with the settings but very present.

Today I played split screen at a friend's and had absolutely no input lag, but he has a pro.

Has this been fixed? I haven't played since a week after the game came out.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Saxophone posted:

Quick question: I played at launch and have a non pro PS4. I had some input lag that was somewhat mitigated by fiddling with the settings but very present.

Today I played split screen at a friend's and had absolutely no input lag, but he has a pro.

Has this been fixed? I haven't played since a week after the game came out.

in general, I saw some lag got improved with patches over time on my non-Pro PS4. But I saw much greater improvement buying a $90 external Samsung SSD and moving my active games over to that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I got the lizard audio log in this game and it was genuinely shocking to me to see an actually competent, let alone effective and nuanced, bit of writing in this game.

This might genuinely be the most infuriating game i can’t stop playing. I hate literally everything in this game outside of the gameplay, the writing especially, and it’s mind-blowing to me how this series has somehow failed at basic qol improvements ten years in.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bold Robot posted:

With the new way that legendaries drop, do legendaries only drop from bosses that have them in their dedicated loot table, or are they just more likely to drop from those bosses? I haven't played in a couple of weeks.

From my reading of the patch notes, they can drop from anyone. However, since the chance for their "dedicated" is higher, this decreases the chance for the others, obviously.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I can not cryo-kill the heckhole guys with Amara at all any more. I got 24 without trying but my supposedly Cryo-only build gets 0.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Atmus posted:

I can not cryo-kill the heckhole guys with Amara at all any more. I got 24 without trying but my supposedly Cryo-only build gets 0.

Are you using any of her skills that add her class element as additional damage because that makes every weapon have two elements.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is slaughterstar 3000 supposed to be like a 2 hour mission

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Judge Tesla posted:

Are you using any of her skills that add her class element as additional damage because that makes every weapon have two elements.

I don't think so, but probably. I mean I was pretty careful respecing away from elemental damage but I probably hosed that up somehow. I'm more upset that I got 24 cryo kills farting around previously and 0 doing it deliberately.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
A radiation pestilence with gamma burst anointment 👀 that’s good stuff right there

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

stuffed crust punk posted:

Is slaughterstar 3000 supposed to be like a 2 hour mission

Going by the other slaughters no (just realized I never finished Slaughterstar) are you at level 50? You might need better great or to respec.

Also gently caress having to do all of the creature slaughter fifth round each time you want to farm for Maggie. Haven't seen it drop once from the dinosaur.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is the best Amara action skill purely from a damage standpoint? Right now I'm using the phase grasp where the fists come up and beat on anything in the area but I haven't really explored the other two skills.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

What is the best Amara action skill purely from a damage standpoint? Right now I'm using the phase grasp where the fists come up and beat on anything in the area but I haven't really explored the other two skills.

Just from the skill itself or from augments or secondary damage? Because ties that bind basically lights up everything in a small area around the target, but the ramping damage version of phase cast probably has the highest pure action skill damage potential.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
phasecast goku amara is stupid and i regularly overkill and hit things for several million

it's not very tanky or survivable but on everything other than the m4 dog bridge in the raid, it's doing just fine

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dyz posted:

Just from the skill itself or from augments or secondary damage? Because ties that bind basically lights up everything in a small area around the target, but the ramping damage version of phase cast probably has the highest pure action skill damage potential.

Yea I haven't touched the blue skill tree at all so maybe I'll respec and try out phase cast.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BizarroAzrael posted:

Going by the other slaughters no (just realized I never finished Slaughterstar) are you at level 50? You might need better great or to respec.

Also gently caress having to do all of the creature slaughter fifth round each time you want to farm for Maggie. Haven't seen it drop once from the dinosaur.

I did the eridian proving grounds and it wasn't a big deal at all, this one just feels like it takes forever. Think I'm at lv46 now, and my build seems to do ok for damage

I've gotten to round 3 or farther twice and just quit because it was late and I was tired and it fails the mission, forcing me to start over. *fart*

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I dont really get complaints about the writing in the game. It's still very borderlands and the antagonists are supposed to be annoying. Sure they are no Jack but it was unrealistic to expect a villain that good again.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Resting Lich Face posted:

I dont really get complaints about the writing in the game. It's still very borderlands and the antagonists are supposed to be annoying. Sure they are no Jack but it was unrealistic to expect a villain that good again.

the player isn't the main character in borderlands 3 and that kind of sucks. they talk a big game about the VAULT HUNTER but neuter any agency you have and completely ignore you in all pivotal scenes.

that in combination with other design decisions around lilith irritated me despite me formerly playing as her and liking her in BL2.

bad writing is very borderlands though so i can't argue with you there. despite that, i liked the twins and some of the side quests made me burst out laughing (in a good way).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Typhon Deleon showing up and being awesome in the last third of the game also helps a lot.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I kind of liked the twins, to be honest. Them playing off of each other helped. But yeah, your character not even being part of the cutscenes was a real weird decision. Why even bother having a framing devices if you're just passively participating in it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Resting Lich Face posted:

At least for me, it’s the fact that it’s been literally almost a decade since borderlands 2 and the game has doubled down on all of its worst aspects. Like every single character has one single character beat and they repeat it endlessly. So Lilith is now a generic do-gooder with no real texture, Rhys is literally just a guy who loves to talk about his mustache, and on and on. Front loading the game with TFTB characters is just like this constant reinforcement of how much better written that game was and it makes BL3 look so much worse in comparison.

It also has no ability to have an emotive moment because the game never stops (failing to) be funny. So like I guess I’ll spoiler this but Maya’s death has no meaning because it can’t exist as an actually effective moment. In contrast to Roland and especially Angel’s death in BL2 it just feels like the game sort of trying to do that again but not in any way that makes sense or lands.

Plus the game has no idea how to make people characters. Tiny Tina was the way she was in BL2 because she was a child who suffered deep loss and sort of lost any sense of perspective. Here she should have grown or been even slightly better especially considering she’s a fuckin adult now and she’s still doing her shtick and it’s still super tired.

Also for all its complaints BL2 didn’t really engage in actually just quoting memes over meme-adjacent humor, so when Brick in BL3 goes “I got you fam” I just want to go oh gently caress you.

And finally the Calypsos, they’re just not nuanced at all. Handsome Jack worked for me because especially considering what we learn from TPS he’s basically a corrupted optimist destroyed by the system he’s tried to change, that can only justify his horrific actions via deluding himself into thinking he’s still the hero of the story. The thing with Jack was that his mask slipped when he wasn’t “on” and this his private conversations with you were materially different than his public face. The Calypsos are supposed to be like nihilistic cult leaders/influencers who are doing what they do because they can and are otherwise indifferent o the world in which they live, but all of their interactions with you are them being their Instagram versions of themselves. If like they were what they are when they’re broadcasting and when they are privately talking to you they’re more emotionless and sort of empty the juxtaposition works, instead the fact that they’re just always at 100 makes them insufferable instead of effective, and the fact that we never SEE their empty nihilism over just being TOLD it makes their sort of lack of motivation fee like there’s just a piece of their writing missing. Nihilistic/empty characters are really hard to write in fiction because if done wrong they just feel unfinished and pointless.

That all being said Hammerlock and Clay are maybe actually the only fully-formed characters I’ve really seen in this show so far.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
man gently caress m3

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

unless you got a build that overpowers the modifiers, they're just annoying. post-story borderlands is a game about repeatedly going through the same content, but the modifiers don't provide interesting variety, they provide intermittent frustration. yes it encourages using different gear, but i can choose to do that myself. sometimes i just want to play with my favorites. i'd much rather have a scaling baseline difficulty. mayhem's a poor fit for a game with loot farming as a core concept, imo.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's a worse version of the exact same system in Diablo 3, Torment mode is just a ramping difficulty that has scaling enemy health but the major difference there is you can pump out billions of damage a second with the correct armour/gear/skill combinations so keeping pace is pretty simple.

It also helps there's no negative modifiers to work around like Mayhem shoves in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I played BL2 nonstop for about a year before I got bored of it, only to find myself coming back years later to play through again.

I played BL3 for about 2 weeks before I was sick of it and haven't been back since.

That's the real difference.