Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'll be completely honest, I had no idea Shenmue 3 came out recently, and this video was the first time I heard of its release. One thing I disagree with Jim about : I can definitely understand why Shenmue got the praise and following that it did at the time. It truly did do things that had never been done before in video games, even if the gameplay wasn't there. It's aged terribly, but so have many games. Still, it's a good overview of the series, and I can't really argue with the fact that it blew a lot of Sega's money in the Dreamcast era and that it didn't really need to have a bunch of other funding sources, particularly from Epic Games.

Also, neither Jim nor anybody in this thread has gone over Shenmue's greatest sin: it introduced the world to quick-time events.

Eschenique posted:

I had no idea the videogame industry was this bad. I've been playing WoW since the original launch and I find most AAA games months or even years after their original release and so I never really experience hype.
I've been watching Jim's channel for about a year, and sometimes I wish I could go back to being ignorant of the greedy nature of the video game industry. But it's important to know and in any case, the Switch barely gets interest from the AAA companies, which is perfectly fine by me.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Oh no.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Oh, I thought I saw his ugly mug in my main page. Really wish Youtube would stick to my subscriptions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Poor canceled Jared

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Junpei Hyde posted:

i will probably never watch legend of galactic heroes
You should watch legend of the galactic heroes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Macaluso posted:

Poor canceled Jared

Jared is prohibited

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

isnt that pretty low for his view counts?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Poor canceled Jared

When will people start thinking of the poor innocent victims of cancel culture, who have to languish with barely over a quarter of a million views on their videos in two days?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Still kind of blows my mind that Nick Robinson just walked right back in too.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I got to say it don't really get the people saying the Yakuza games are Shenmue's successors when the narrative, tone, structure and gameplay are completely different. The only thing they really have I common is that they are semi open world with other sega games included in them. Otherwise one is an over the top brawler while the other is a mostly down to earth martial arts themed adventure game.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt that pretty low for his view counts?

It's only a couple of days old, but...yeah, I would have expected way more from his first actual review in a year.

And yes, people tend to just come back from anything. For as much as being CANCELLED gets thrown around especially on YouTube, the heat goes off for most no matter what. Just look at how a certain fellow NormalBoots alumni named Jon's doing on YouTube now (spoiler: If you don't like JonTron you probably don't want to look at how he's doing on YouTube now)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Casey Finnigan posted:

And since the third game only exists because of hardcore Shenmue fans and kickstarter, it seems pretty clear that its target audience is people who want more Shenmue. If they came out with a story reboot or a new gameplay style for Shenmue 3, people would be upset.

Didn't they do a kickstarter and then also get money from Sony and then also get money from Deep Silver and then also take the big cartoonish sack of money from Epic? A niche game being made for a niche audience who directly funds it is one thing, but the economics of Shenmue 3 have always come off as pretty drat sketchy. All that money from so many different sources just to make another one of those with little to no substantial improvement, just continuation?

And yeah in a vacuum why should I care if Epic blew money on it, but I'd like to optimistically think that maybe that money could've gone to other games instead of the Shenmue money pit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They both feature a loose battle system punctuated by cinematic quick time events, travelling through Japanese townships that are presented in detailed contemporary nostalgia vision with side stories and numerous minigames intended primarily to allow the player to immerse themselves in the world as presented and both their protagonists are primarily motivated by their murdered father.

The immediate tone and gameplay may differ wildly but I would say the overall presentation and moment to moment tasks of each are far more similar to each other than other games in their genre.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Darth Walrus posted:

The remake is available on Crunchyroll. Purists aren't super-keen on it, but it's a perfectly adequate telling of a very good story.

The original 110 episode run is in HiDive, Sentai Filmworks's streaming site. It might be on VRV by extension, but I can't confirm that. Easily-accessible LotGH is beyond worth the meager price they charge for HiDive.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Didn't they do a kickstarter and then also get money from Sony and then also get money from Deep Silver and then also take the big cartoonish sack of money from Epic? A niche game being made for a niche audience who directly funds it is one thing, but the economics of Shenmue 3 have always come off as pretty drat sketchy. All that money from so many different sources just to make another one of those with little to no substantial improvement, just continuation?

And yeah in a vacuum why should I care if Epic blew money on it, but I'd like to optimistically think that maybe that money could've gone to other games instead of the Shenmue money pit.

Creating a fully voice acted 3D game takes a lot of money, even if it is bad

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

After watching it I always feel weird when people talk about Legend of the Galactic Heroes as if it's absurdly long.

In terms of production it's absurdly long for an OVA, which are normally less than 12 episodes, and in terms of taking nine years to produce, but it's 110 half-hour episodes in 4 seasons. That's less than basically every successful American live-action serial.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shorter than Game of Thrones, longer than Rome. Much shorter than Three Kingdoms.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terrible Opinions posted:

Shorter than Game of Thrones
And better in every way

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Microcline posted:

After watching it I always feel weird when people talk about Legend of the Galactic Heroes as if it's absurdly long.

In terms of production it's absurdly long for an OVA, which are normally less than 12 episodes, and in terms of taking nine years to produce, but it's 110 half-hour episodes in 4 seasons. That's less than basically every successful American live-action serial.

The majority of anime rarely goes more than two 13-episode cours, and even the REALLY popular mangas have to be lucky to get 3 or 4 cours for an anime adaptation. Getting to 110 episodes and not be a shonen manga adaptation is a real production feat for anime.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, give it a shot if you ever feel like a surprisingly sharp and prescient sci-fi political thriller. It's got some really impressive stuff on how neoliberalism kills democracy, and the empire invasion arc is basically Gulf War II written twenty years earlier.

i just tend to lack the patience for subbed anime, and LOTGH is 100+ episodes

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

Jankiness and awkward dialogue is acceptable in a kung-fu action-adventure game but I've yet to see a video that wan't 90% walking around, talking to people, examining cupboards and putting coins into gachapon machines

Yes, that's what rules about it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junpei Hyde posted:

i just tend to lack the patience for subbed anime, and LOTGH is 100+ episodes

The new remake's dubbed by Funimation and seems good to me (haven't seen the original). They've just started dubbing the second cour of it now.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Gnome de plume posted:

Jankiness and awkward dialogue is acceptable in a kung-fu action-adventure game but I've yet to see a video that wan't 90% walking around, talking to people, examining cupboards and putting coins into gachapon machines

This is where you seem to have the wrong idea about what Shenmue is, it's not action-adventure it's regular adventure. It has more in common with old point & click games.

Basically I think Yakuza has more in common with games like FFXV than with Shenmue, the newest Yakuza even admits that it's a jrpg by changing the combat system.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is more faithful to the original novels in the sorta not understanding adaptation way that the mini series version of the Shining is more faithful than the Kubrick film. With a similar though far less drastic drop in quality.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Still kind of blows my mind that Nick Robinson just walked right back in too.

I'm not surprised since he gave a half-assed apology then kept a real low profile for awhile before resurfacing. It's a method that keeps working, unfortunately.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Srice posted:

I'm not surprised since he gave a half-assed apology then kept a real low profile for awhile before resurfacing. It's a method that keeps working, unfortunately.

Yeah, I think the only time it didn't work was for Devin Faraci, who apologised, vanished for about a year, resurfaced writing for Alamo Drafthouse, then disappeared again. I guess he's kind of back now but not really in any of the circles he was in before.

Edit: Oh, his about page on his blog doesn't acknowledge he DID anything, just that he was "accused". Blurgh.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, I think the only time it didn't work was for Devin Faraci, who apologised, vanished for about a year, resurfaced writing for Alamo Drafthouse, then disappeared again. I guess he's kind of back now but not really in any of the circles he was in before.

Edit: Oh, his about page on his blog doesn't acknowledge he DID anything, just that he was "accused". Blurgh.

He got to keep his Alamo Drafthouse job when the accusations came out, they just moved him to a position that wasn't public-facing.

He's definitely trying to make a comeback since he now has a patreon-only podcast and he's not making bank yet but any amount of people giving him money is depressing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He also got into Buddhism or something. It's bizarre.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shenmue is good as hell and people negatively comparing it to Yakuza are dumb, I love both of them and they feel super different enough that I again love both of them in very different ways.

The slowness is great, the oddball voice acting especially on Ryo is great, the just-adventure-adventure kind of genre that it feels like is super comfortable.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Srice posted:

It's not just that. It's consumerism in general. The people who still watch him don't care what he did, because they're "separating the art from the artist." As long as he provides "entertaining content," he'll have a consistent audience. Not every ProJared viewer is a defender-of-an-offender; most of them probably don't even know or care that he had a scandal and he's just "funny video games man, like PewDiePie haha brofist." Of course, if you bring it up, you're the insufferable one attacking the guy who's clearly very sorry and come on it wasn't that big of a deal

"As long as Chic-fil-A makes the tasty sandwich, I will pay top dollar for the tasty sandwich."

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Takoluka posted:

"As long as Chic-fil-A makes the tasty sandwich, I will pay top dollar for the tasty sandwich."

I'm thankful that the only opportunity I had for Chic-fil-A in the UK has long passed, thanks to pressure from LGBT rights groups.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's a good enough sandwich but absolutely not anything I'd drive out of my way for even ignoring how lovely the company is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

All most people even praise their sandwiches for is basically them putting some pickle flavor on it, hope every CFA location collapses.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The bastards are even moving into Canada now and sadly going by online polling there's not going to be the boycott there should be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

The bastards are even moving into Canada now and sadly going by online polling there's not going to be the boycott there should be.

To be mildly fair, Chick-Fil-A seems to be starting to get the message and cut ties with the shittier groups they were funding.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be mildly fair, Chick-Fil-A seems to be starting to get the message and cut ties with the shittier groups they were funding.

and they already walked that back saying they were 'open' to keep giving them money so gently caress em

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spark That Bled posted:

I'm thankful that the only opportunity I had for Chic-fil-A in the UK has long passed, thanks to pressure from LGBT rights groups.

They're just being sneaky about their British expansion.

Also, their recent backaway from fundie charities (and the backlash after that) was largely due to that reaction in UK. Turns out overseas markets are less fundie Christian than the American market and apparently care a lot about human rights over religious rights.

Apparently, conservatives got really angry at CFA for donating to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tells you where 'Christian fundamentism" stands.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

and they already walked that back saying they were 'open' to keep giving them money so gently caress em

Yep this. They're still putting money into groups that discretely funnel money to other groups that commit genocide in Africa so gently caress them.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

sexpig by night posted:

didn't they walk back on that walk back too? charlie kirk had a meltdown on twitter about chik fil a betrayal of conservatives pretty recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Pretty sure they did not walk back the walk back. As far as I'm aware, it was more like Chick-fil-A stopped donating to a couple lovely charities and people thought it meant that they were done donating to lovely charities in general. Then Chick-fil-A said "no, we aren't done donating to lovely charities in general."

Conservatives are freaking out because Chick-fil-A donated to the SPLC, which is obviously bad because acknowledging that racism exists is a horrible crime