Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flint_Paper posted:

WHAT

THE

gently caress

???
Don't forget that the only drinks were in the bar on the Tanker, so not only did he do it, it never came up in the actual meat of MGS2, just the first three hours of the game. Kojima's a madman in the best possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If you listen to the developer commentary podcasts included in MGS4, they talk about how much time Kojima's team spent making a radio sputter and die when you shot it. Like making whatever was playing accurately cut out, not just turning it into static right away.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

New fave in MGSV, taking a squirtgun around with me to take out all the comms equipment not to mention the Man on Fire

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I do love silly cameos :3:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

WHAT

THE

gently caress

???

From what I recall he wanted there to be a lot more dynamically melting ice in the game, but it ended up taking way too much processing power, so they cut it out except for the one little glass as an easter egg of sorts.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

CJacobs posted:

There is also of course Geoff Keighly as the Ludens Fan, and pretty much all of his deliveries are literally Kojima Productions memorabilia you can buy in real life. :v:

Conan O'Brien gave me an Otter Hood to wear!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CJacobs posted:

There is also of course Geoff Keighly as the Ludens Fan, and pretty much all of his deliveries are literally Kojima Productions memorabilia you can buy in real life. :v:

he also says a bunch of weird poo poo about “having a special connection” with Sam that i am gonna go ahead and say is based on how Geoff talks to Kojima

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Thinky Whale posted:

FFXIV: In the earlier part of the game, you have dinner with an Empress where she gets poisoned and it leads to a bunch of dramatic shenanigans.

A full expansion later, you have dinner with your buddy the elf general guy. When he proposes a toast, your character gives the glasses and bottle a conspicuously long, leery stare.

This happens again in the latest expansion, at the start a minor NPC offers you a drink from their bottle of wine and you just give them a stink eye until they comment "No? Suit yourself"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm just glad literally one person in a fantasy setting learned to not drink from random cups of wine.

edit: Heavensward No they didn't, bastard gets knocked out by the most obvious spy in between the expansions, poo poo.

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Dec 4, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Reminds me of Illusion of Gaia, which goes in some really weird directions. You play as a psychic kid, and there's a section where you participate in a game of "Russian Glass", where two people take turns drinking from cups, one of which is poisoned. Being psychic, you get a warning if you try to drink from the poisoned cup (and if you do it anyway, the game just treats it like dying in a dungeon). Your opponent doesn't have that power of course...and for some goddamn reason when there's only one cup left he insists on drinking it anyway, despite knowing it must be poisoned.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've beaten Jinx now, it was cute. The only thing left to do is figure out where this key is in the penultimate level so I can rescue the final character and unlock the final bonus level/see the true ending.

Something I appreciate is that the bosses save their states if you die. You don't have to do every hit again, just the ones you didn't do yet, so if you destroy half the pirate bosses conveyor belts and then die, they stay destroyed and so on. It's really nice, although it makes the game very easy it is a good game for children for that reason. It's also just a fun and chill time.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Got this neat game called Super Puzzle Platformer during the Steam sale and I love how extra the option to delete your save is.

I always love it when a game turns the most mundane thing into something really cool and weird

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Being psychic, you get a warning if you try to drink from the poisoned cup
I... I've wondered for decades

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Reminds me of Illusion of Gaia, which goes in some really weird directions. You play as a psychic kid, and there's a section where you participate in a game of "Russian Glass", where two people take turns drinking from cups, one of which is poisoned. Being psychic, you get a warning if you try to drink from the poisoned cup (and if you do it anyway, the game just treats it like dying in a dungeon). Your opponent doesn't have that power of course...and for some goddamn reason when there's only one cup left he insists on drinking it anyway, despite knowing it must be poisoned.

Illusion of Gaia was so wonderfully weird. I love the bit where you're on a raft after a shipwreck, when sharks appear...and just circle around for a while before leaving, because sometimes sharks are just minding their own business.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Also in Death Stranding the Engineer is Junji Ito. I never got any cat, spiral, or fish-related deliveries for him, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man I never recognized anyone of those. Not even Edgar Wright.

I wish they could have gotten David Lynch, I'm sure Kojima would have loved that. All with Sam delivering nothing but cigarettes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Got this neat game called Super Puzzle Platformer during the Steam sale and I love how extra the option to delete your save is.

I always love it when a game turns the most mundane thing into something really cool and weird

Reminds me of the icons in a ps2 memory card. They would sometimes do different animations for copying or deleting. For Onimusha the gauntlet would look sad

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Just an FYI, every single Ace Attorney game past the original trilogy is on iOS and Android (iOS has the original trilogy, but Android doesn't). While they might be pricier than you'd want, and they don't have some of the QoL changes that got back-ported to the Phoenix Wright HD collection, you can play them all on your phone.

Ouch, £14.99 a pop hurts. Thanks though! I'm hoping the second trilogy gets a switch release eventually but I'm not holding my breath for AAI so I might grab that on Android when I'm done with AA3.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

That sounds like the final twists of one of my favorite games that I can't really name here due to the nature of the twist.

is it 999___________________

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

cuntman.net posted:

is it 999___________________

The world will never know because putting it in spoiler tags wouldn't possibly work

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

cuntman.net posted:

is it spoiler

Well. Thanks for spoiling that game for me.

It's not like i could have known it was this game i'd get spoiled on when i moused over it, i was expecting something else

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why did you mouse over it?? Either it's a game you already know and the only thing you can say is "I played that too" or you get spoiled on a game you haven't played. You could only lose

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This is my favorite little thing in the game that is life.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The game straight up tells you after that the guy was dying anyway. He had been doing the Russian Glass thing to rack up alot of money for his wife.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Heh, just rescued the last people and got the true ending in Jinx. Totally worth it. Normal ending: King gives you title of court magician, promoting you from jester. Perfect Ending? "Well, you just saved everyone in the kingdom... myself included... um... seems you look after the place better than I can... how about you marry my daughter and take over as king?" Not phrased quite that way, but still in spirit it's basically that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Why did you mouse over it?? Either it's a game you already know and the only thing you can say is "I played that too" or you get spoiled on a game you haven't played. You could only lose

Or it’s a game you weren’t planning on playing and at least now you know what the hell game they were being coy about was.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

Heh, just rescued the last people and got the true ending in Jinx. Totally worth it. Normal ending: King gives you title of court magician, promoting you from jester. Perfect Ending? "Well, you just saved everyone in the kingdom... myself included... um... seems you look after the place better than I can... how about you marry my daughter and take over as king?" Not phrased quite that way, but still in spirit it's basically that.

Congratulations. Now go play Pandemonium! 1 and 2.

(Don’t.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

Well. Thanks for spoiling that game for me.

It's not like i could have known it was this game i'd get spoiled on when i moused over it, i was expecting something else

It's still well worth playing and likely not what you think it is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did see Pandemonium in CEX tonight, I may get it some day. It's just £20. So not yet.

Dead Jedi
Oct 25, 2010
I don't know if it has been posted before but in Jedi Fallen Order before our hero engages stormtroopers in battle they can sometimes be heard shooting the poo poo, filling in the mindless garrison hours with inane conversation. One of these conversations refers to a previous battle that turned out OK because they "had the high ground". I smirked.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I did see Pandemonium in CEX tonight, I may get it some day. It's just £20. So not yet.

Do you accept donations? Because I remember you mentioning wanting to play the ps3 era transformers games that are hard to obtain and I think I have one of them kicking around. UK as well so no chance of region nonsense

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Pinball arcade on switch. Does it count if its a videogame of a pinball machine?

Anyway, the Stern Star Trek table.

After i died during the second phase, i 'dropped' the controller. I'm not sure if tilt usrs gyros or it mashed the L stick when it hit the cushion, but the table screamed at me "You DARE SHAKE THE KLINGON EMPIRE"

Also the voice work generally isn't completely terrible but mars attacks is still better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dead Jedi posted:

I don't know if it has been posted before but in Jedi Fallen Order before our hero engages stormtroopers in battle they can sometimes be heard shooting the poo poo, filling in the mindless garrison hours with inane conversation. One of these conversations refers to a previous battle that turned out OK because they "had the high ground". I smirked.

Post/username combo impressive....most impressive...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve returned to Return of the Obra Dinn to finish it. You identify each body on the ship and match it to a name on the manifest and work out their fate; if they’re alive and where they are, or more likely dead and how and by who if applicable.

The first few fates that the game shows you are very simple to work out, to ease you into how the game works. But before you do any of that, the game lays another character’s fate right in front of you in a way that’s still kind of obscure because you’re probably not looking for it: The introductory letter at the start of the notebook that explains your mission is from the ship’s surgeon, who asks you to send your findings to an office in Morocco. His signature is right on it and then right there near the top of the ship’s manifest, all just spelled out . When I figured out I started laughing and then kicking myself for not seeing it. I haven’t seen other people going through the first couple minutes do it either.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Dec 5, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hattie Masters posted:

Do you accept donations? Because I remember you mentioning wanting to play the ps3 era transformers games that are hard to obtain and I think I have one of them kicking around. UK as well so no chance of region nonsense

Unfortunately I don't have a ps3, I have a 360.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve returned to Return of the Obra Dinn to finish it. You identify each body on the ship and match it to a name on the manifest and work out their fate; if they’re alive and where they are, or more likely dead and how and by who if applicable.

The first few fates that the game shows you are very simple to work out, to ease you into how the game works. But before you do any of that, the game lays another character’s fate right in front of you in a way that’s still kind of obscure because you’re probably not looking for it: The introductory letter at the start of the notebook that explains your mission is from the ship’s surgeon, who asks you to send your findings to an office in Morocco. His signature is right on it and then right there near the top of the ship’s manifest, all just spelled out . When I figured out I started laughing and then kicking myself for not seeing it. I haven’t seen other people going through the first couple minutes do it either.

I didn't figure that out until the very end after I'd already gone through a convoluted process of narrowing down where the escapees could have gone based on where the ship was and which side they launched the longboat from . It didn't help that it's really easy to find out the surgeon's identity without even noticing that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Werong Bustope posted:

I didn't figure that out until the very end after I'd already gone through a convoluted process of narrowing down where the escapees could have gone based on where the ship was and which side they launched the longboat from . It didn't help that it's really easy to find out the surgeon's identity without even noticing that.

Oh gently caress me

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Disco Elysium is chock full of little things, but my favorite is pulling rank on Kim. Seriously, when given the option, do it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

Disco Elysium is chock full of little things, but my favorite is pulling rank on Kim. Seriously, when given the option, do it.

I'm doing just a general playthrough of the choices I would make, but COP COP: COP HARDER TANKIE is my next one just for the huge amount of options there are to be an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've got to the part in Prince of Persia:Two Thrones with the new traps. I like that they are very different takes on things, now it's not just circular blades to dodge but whole sections of wall or floor become spikes, or instead of running between the blades you have a giant hallway-sized blade to run through the gap in. It keeps things fresh. Warrior within's traps were just harder Sands of Time traps, these ones feel new.