Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Selling the fancy cables must work, unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I exclusively buy Monster HDMI cables :colbert:

It just so happens that they show up regularly at a local dollar shop chain and are by far the cheapest cables I can find.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

taqueso posted:

Selling the fancy cables must work, unfortunately

The margins will make you believe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Some dude on AVS is having a straight up meltdown

quote:

I am not going to reply to every post, I don't trust ANY of your words, because you all advocate

1) Testing the best of the best speakers with ONE speaker.
2) ABX the best of the best amps by recording it's output and play it back on a totally different system.

When I talk about real technical stuffs, the real science relate to the legend Nelson Pass and John Curl that ACTUALLY design real amps and speakers, people that are on the map of audio world. You are silent like mouse. You people have NO technical knowledge, period. This make me question your motive using gang intimidation tactic to silence people. This is a cheap and good marketing tactic for mid-fi company to pay people to spread lies.

You want to talk science, let's have it, I am here. But you don't dare to because you people don't know science. I already tried to dumb it down to use mostly highschool physics and math, but still quiet as a mouse.

To the other people,

DO NOT GET INTIMIDATED, read what they link, it's not that hard, you'll see what they are about. I did read their stuffs, I don't think they expected that. That's what I found out they advocate testing the best of the best speakers designed for stereo with ONE speaker. The they compare the best of the best amps by recording their outputs and play it back on another system.....to compare the best of the best amps.

Oh, I forgot, they perform DBT on the best of the best amps using a pair of STUDIO MONITOR that costed less than $2000. Anyone with basic knowledge knows the speakers should be at least 1.5 times the cost of the power amp or more. They compare amps that are $5000 to over $10000 with a pair of mid-fi speakers......a studio monitor at that......then concluded that all amps sound the same as long as it's not clipped.

Think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ridicule Audiophiles: Anyone with basic knowledge knows the speakers should be at least 1.5 times the cost of the power amp or more

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You are silent like speaker only 1.2 times the cost of the power amp.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I believe the amp he’s referring to is a $3000 Benchmark which has 0.0003% THD and 135 dB of measured dynamic range so obviously if you connected that to speakers that cost a mere 2000 dollars it will sound like hot garbage and won’t be able to resolve the nuance of a 10 grand speaker cable

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

He seemed pretty level headed in the beginning, but that amp/speaker cost ratio thing destroyed it all.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't feel like wading back into that cesspool of a thread but the base point is some people have [rightly] pointed out that expensive cables have never been shown through testing to sound better, or even different enough to be identified at more than random chance so this dude does everything he can to point out that testing is wrong and keeps quoting papers from the 80s written by people who sell fancy audio cables about measured cable differences [all observed at frequencies several orders of magnitude away from audio] and the ultimate no true audiophile card of criticizing the equipment used in the tests as being pedestrian "mid-fi" stuff

also name-calling

quote:

Sure, I really trust you.

You must be richer than Hunter Biden. Hey, I am a poor old man, can I have some handouts from you, just one high end system.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

qirex posted:

Some dude on AVS is having a straight up meltdown

Link? I love reading meltdowns.

qirex posted:

I believe the amp he’s referring to is a $3000 Benchmark which has 0.0003% THD and 135 dB of measured dynamic range so obviously if you connected that to speakers that cost a mere 2000 dollars it will sound like hot garbage and won’t be able to resolve the nuance of a 10 grand speaker cable

It is a pretty sweet amp, though. I look forward to the THX AAA design making its way into other amps.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm not going to post a link to avoid a dogpile but it's in the 2 channel forum

TheMadMilkman posted:

It is a pretty sweet amp, though. I look forward to the THX AAA design making its way into other amps.
If I ever get really stupid with my system I think I'm going to try Hypex monoblocks, for $1200 you get basically that same amp as the Benchmark AHB.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ridicule Audiophiles: Anyone with basic knowledge knows the speakers should be at least 1.5 times the cost of the power amp or more

”a very not mad audiophile” posted:

You the one that gave me that link? No, not only studio monitor, it's only $2000. Everyone know you need speakers something roughly like double the cost of the power amp. You don't test $10K amp with $2k speaker. I don't use my $1100 Kef to test to test my Nakamichi and my amps and make any conclusion as this would be very dishonest and miss leading on my part.

Thread also features him trying to attack people by demanding that they reveal the price of their gear, bragging about the price of his, claiming that if only they had ears as golden as his they’d be able to hear what he hears, and so forth. Couldn’t be more clear that for him it’s a hobby about looking down on peons who can’t buy or appreciate the really expensive stuff.

Also claims to have designed and built great amps on his own, which is amusing and I’m gonna guess that they’re actually terrible because he hasn’t tried to measure their performance in any objective way

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New Audiophile Conundrum: If God themselves invented a poweramp, could they also invent a set of speakers of 1.5x the cost to compliment it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Even if he did, would it be up to the standards of "a very not mad audiophile"'s ears?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
God did invent the ur-sound system. All i need to do to feel right next to the live band sound is play my guitar shittily in my bedroom. Pure audio nirvana.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Literally everything in this LTT video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3SInHr9ck

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everything in every LTT video is terrible.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The perfect headphones if you want to look like a Doctor Who bad guy

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Cat5 and cat 5e don't make a great speaker cables.
The gauge is too thin to be used over long distances. Also they're fairly high capacitance and that could gently caress up your amp or at the very least, cause high frequency loss. (not likely to be noticeable unless you have supersonic hearing.)
If you try to remedy this by twisting all the white pairs together and the solid color pairs together, then you've got a problem because the number of twists per inch varies between each pair. This is done to reduce crosstalk between the pairs, but the result is that each pair will have a different impedance.

Besides, after all that work you would only wind up with an 18 gauge wire anyway, which means you still can't use it for a very long run. For optimum performance 10 feet would be the max on an 8ohm load, half that for a 4ohm speaker.

This was a thing like 15 years ago or something. You braid enough cables that you end up with 10 gauge or so. I made a pair at the time because it gave me something to do during an Alaskan winter while I was sitting in front of the TV and I wanted to prove that they were nonsense, but I never used them long term because they’re so stiff and bulky. I probably still have them in a drawer somewhere.

https://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 5, 2019

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-audio-etherregen-switch-review.10232/

$640 audiophile-grade ethernet switch, sure why not

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Surprised it's so cheap tbh

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I mean, that's pretty loving cool though.
It's a literal wall of sound.
$17000 is definitely a stupid amount of money, but you're getting floor to ceiling speakers. I could probably do worse building a PA system of equal size.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Outing myself as the audiophile here but if I hit the Powerball I will absolutely have grossly overbuilt speakers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

Outing myself as the audiophile here but if I hit the Powerball I will absolutely have grossly overbuilt speakers

Same except good-sounding small ones that cost like 2000€. Is Amphion still around?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Anyone who's reading this thread at least aspires to be an audiophile, promising ourselves we'd stop at the "correct" level of madness.

For me, it's probably these (right now): https://www.luxussound.com/en/bang-olufsen/speakers/beolab-90.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pzy posted:

Anyone who's reading this thread at least aspires to be an audiophile, promising ourselves we'd stop at the "correct" level of madness.

gently caress that, I'm not looking to buy anything. I invested around 400€ in a record player more than ten years ago, and got the very cheapest Denon stereo amplifier cum radio available twenty years ago (I think it was 1 690 marks, who knows what that is in euros*). Everything else I've gotten either from the recycling centre for less than 10€ or for free. And I'm pretty convinced my set-up sounds as good as if not way better than anything I've seen ITT.

*) Less than 300€, not adjusted

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I agree, my system is cobbled together too and I think it sounds great. I'm just saying if money suddenly was no consideration, everyone ITT would make at least one dream "audiophile" upgrade purchase. Usually speakers. Or maybe those headphones that made Linus cry.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pzy posted:

I agree, my system is cobbled together too and I think it sounds great. I'm just saying if money suddenly was no consideration, everyone ITT would make at least one dream "audiophile" upgrade purchase. Usually speakers. Or maybe those headphones that made Linus cry.

It's impossible for me to upgrade my record player as it's an SL-1200Mk2. But like I said I'd like smaller good speakers because this house was not built for loudspeakers and my current (free) ones are huge. You can listen to them at low volume and they sound great but I guess because they are on the floor the sound gets everywhere, including the neighbour's apartment. An amplifier is good enough if it has the necessary number of inputs :shrug:

e: Actually I guess if I hit the jackpot I'd just move and make do with the huge speakers!

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 7, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If I had the coin I'd just buy a set of those weird looking B&O flagship speakers and be done with it tbh. They sound better than anything I currently have and look pretty rad too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Revel Ultima2 Salons for me. Maybe the big Focals. I’ve never heard the Beolabs, but I’ve heard great things about them. B&O obviously makes luxury goods, but their designers appear to follow good engineering principles.

The basics really are simple. Big, symmetrical room, treated as needed (thick carpet and furniture is often all you need). Speakers with good frequency response and dispersion. Enough power to avoid amplifier clipping. An accurate volume control. Multiple subwoofers.

If I had infinite funds, though, I would get into some of the stupid stuff. Reel to reel. SACD 5.1 mixes. Massive amplifiers. Because why not? It’s fun, and I can respect people who do it for fun. It’s claiming superiority and being able to hear minute differences based on whether your home grounding is buried vertically or horizontally (this was a big discussion on WBF) that deserves ridicule.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Asymmetrical room. You will get supernasty nodes with a lot of symmetry

symmetry good, parallel surfaces bad. got those all confabulated for a minute :v:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 7, 2019

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I mean, if we’re talking unlimited funds, you just build a room that’s at least 28.5 feet in each dimension.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
buy an old theater and renovate the office to use as a living space. problem solved

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How are you supposed to get the sub in if you don't build the foundation?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Use the stage as an infinite baffle

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

ItBreathes posted:

How are you supposed to get the sub in if you don't build the foundation?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It may be funny but that dude can play thunderstorms with incredible accuracy and fidelity.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I just want enough money for a decent vocal/instrument recording booth and some professional sound treatment.

Okay, I'm lying. I'd totally build a floating room in my basement with its own conditioned power inputs, in addition to all of the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

redeyes posted:

It may be funny but that dude can play thunderstorms with incredible accuracy and fidelity.

Not anymore he can’t.

(Dude was pretty seriously mentally ill and killed himself).