Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why are the people that Anissa smuggled out of the city just hanging around there instead of getting away and letting people outside know what's happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That's probably a story hole that needs to be filled. It's an easy one to explain though like the ASA being a gov't org would have eyes and ears looking for any of the escapees if they showed up, especially with any friends and family outside of Freeland. Since they can affect a media blackout of Freeland and seem to not draw any outside attention, presumably, they're cutting off any outside notice that'd come up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xelkelvos posted:

That's probably a story hole that needs to be filled. It's an easy one to explain though like the ASA being a gov't org would have eyes and ears looking for any of the escapees if they showed up, especially with any friends and family outside of Freeland. Since they can affect a media blackout of Freeland and seem to not draw any outside attention, presumably, they're cutting off any outside notice that'd come up.

But they can't find them on that one farm a little way out of town? Wouldn't they actually be harder to find if they split up? And if a bunch of them all went to different media outlets, including using the internet to contact foreign media (or actually crossing into Canada or Mexico) then either the entire US is a police state or people are going to know about this one town that's under the control of some shadowy government agency.

As soon as they introduced the fact that a bunch of people got out it became impossible to believe that the rest of the country doesn't know about this. And given that the rest of the country must know about it, it's a massive question hanging over everything: what do people outside Freeland think about this? How is it being reported? How are politicians attempting to justify it? By not addressing these questions they're just drawing more attention to the things that make no sense.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oooo, based on that ad they just ran Black Lightning's Earth gets wiped out by the Crisis.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Oooo, based on that ad they just ran Black Lightning's Earth gets wiped out by the Crisis.

Yeah I guess the back half of Season 3 is gonna have Jeff freak the gently caress out more than he already is once he learns his world was destroyed and then (presumably) remade anew.

Also, man the ASA has some downright stormtrooper aiming problems if 2 non-powered guys were able to take out a whole room of them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
loving Rip Odell. That was amazingly unsatisfying watching his rear end die.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Odell is gonna have a computer program modeled on him and voiced by him that continues to direct the ASA. Just watch.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That shot of Jefferson leaving the church was :discourse:

First Supergirl, now Black Lightning. It's a good week for people with earthbender powers.

TwoPair posted:

Also, man the ASA has some downright stormtrooper aiming problems if 2 non-powered guys were able to take out a whole room of them.

Yea haha. What a terrible trap Odell planned for them.

nine-gear crow posted:

"Pathetic."

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yeah, what even was that whole trap thing? Odell has them outnumbered AND surrounded AND de-powered, and it just frantically edits itself into them being unfazed and Odell dying (no confirmation, also he can just get revived again in Black Lightning's version of the Lazarus Pit). Probably rushing stuff to get to Crisis with less loose ends.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, what even was that whole trap thing? Odell has them outnumbered AND surrounded AND de-powered, and it just frantically edits itself into them being unfazed and Odell dying (no confirmation, also he can just get revived again in Black Lightning's version of the Lazarus Pit). Probably rushing stuff to get to Crisis with less loose ends.

There were a few things in this episode that kind of came out nowhere, like Jennifer deciding to break into the new kid's apartment to figure out what his deal was. That had near zero setup this week.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

There were a few things in this episode that kind of came out nowhere, like Jennifer deciding to break into the new kid's apartment to figure out what his deal was. That had near zero setup this week.

Also Anissa's video felt more like she was about to do some high-stakes stuff she might not come back from... and then it just turned out to be her thinking she was going to die from the poison.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Also Anissa's video felt more like she was about to do some high-stakes stuff she might not come back from... and then it just turned out to be her thinking she was going to die from the poison.

That said, we also got Tobias trolling the poo poo out of Lynn with his whole Satan act. I cannot wait for him and Jeff to square off again after all this poo poo now that he's figured out he's Black Lightning.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

That said, we also got Tobias trolling the poo poo out of Lynn with his whole Satan act. I cannot wait for him and Jeff to square off again after all this poo poo now that he's figured out he's Black Lightning.

Yeah, the fact that Lynn is getting played by two different bad guys is great. She's gotten more intelligent, but not smarter.

This season has so many things coming to a head that this one episode not being as coherent as previous ones kinda slows down the hype. Like, Henderson assembling the Resistance was badass... and then they act like they're already beaten because one off-screen character got caught.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I seriously thought my DVR had skipped when that scene came in it was so out of nowhere

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think the implication was that the Markovian general had a whole bunch of guys with him. When he and not-Nightcrawler walked in, they had a whole squad behind them, and when the general walked out of the server room there were a couple of guys standing guard who fell in behind him. They must have cut the scene where they established that, though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

nine-gear crow posted:

Black Lightning is very good and you should watch it yes.

It's the only series that has Tobias Whale in it, so yes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Btw, new ep tonight.

Odell ain't dead

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Btw, new ep tonight.

Odell ain't dead

Motherfuckin snake. Good thing Jen’s finally being smart about stuff and using the situation to her advantage.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This is stating the obvious, but Jen's going to burn the ASA to the ground when she learns about Khalil.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They doing some kind of good soldier defector thing ain't they.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lyn, you are a walking bad decision machine.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Lyn, you are a walking bad decision machine.

The Pierce family has a Bad Decision Ball and they pass it around once a year. In Season 1, Anissa was its holder, last year it was Jennifer, this year its Lynn, so next year it’ll be Jeff’s turn.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

The Pierce family has a Bad Decision Ball and they pass it around once a year. In Season 1, Anissa was its holder, last year it was Jennifer, this year its Lynn, so next year it’ll be Jeff’s turn.

I don't know, it seems like Jeff, Jen, and Lynn are doing an episode-by-episode handoff. Frankly I'm just glad to see Jeff get an actual win with no drawbacks. Every time he's done something cool this season has been immediately followed by Odell coming around to tell him to stop or some poo poo. I was fully expecting Grace to die, or for them to come back and find the other kids dead after Jeff saved Grace.

I'm curious to see how they're gonna make any Khalil vs. Black Lightning fight have any tension now that the boy's basically a force of loving nature unless Jeff roasts his rear end from long distance.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, it seems like Jeff, Jen, and Lynn are doing an episode-by-episode handoff. Frankly I'm just glad to see Jeff get an actual win with no drawbacks. Every time he's done something cool this season has been immediately followed by Odell coming around to tell him to stop or some poo poo. I was fully expecting Grace to die, or for them to come back and find the other kids dead after Jeff saved Grace.

I'm curious to see how they're gonna make any Khalil vs. Black Lightning fight have any tension now that the boy's basically a force of loving nature unless Jeff roasts his rear end from long distance.

I'm betting it's gonna be some combination of Lynn loving with Khalil's control chip and Jeff trying to talk him back to normal and it'll be really tense and emotional with Jeff ultimately winning but just in time for the anti-matter wave to wipe out his Earth and Flash-90 to zip in and save his rear end in time for Crisis.

Also if Odell is "in the hospital" (yeah loving right he is) and Major Hardass McWarcrimes just got barbecued to death by Jeff, who's running the ASA in Freeland now?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Also if Odell is "in the hospital" (yeah loving right he is) and Major Hardass McWarcrimes just got barbecued to death by Jeff, who's running the ASA in Freeland now?

Based on the preview Clarence Wiedman maybe?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm very glad Odell isn't dead.

Gambi should've tried to smother Khalil with a pillow.

Xelkelvos posted:

They doing some kind of good soldier defector thing ain't they.

Not anymore :v:

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't think he killed them, but he did leave them lightly seared. :chef: Would have been funnier if he did kill them. No Henderson, you can't use a bomb. Your killing has to be precise!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 26, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Starting the episode off with a full on camera mugging Tobias monologue. This is gonna be a good one :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hey, they finally addressed the world outside Freeland.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Hey, they finally addressed the world outside Freeland.

lol, SARS. Also I guess, Freeland is closer to Jacksonville than Atlanta?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I was skeptical about Earthbender kid initially but the more him and Jen interact the more he’s grown on me. They’re really fun together.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I like this teacher already. Gotta make up for that teacher's salary somehow

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I like this teacher already. Gotta make up for that teacher's salary somehow

I’m glad she was the one who finally lit the fire under Jeff’s rear end. That scene was badass.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Good job not getting completely thrown when you recognized Khalil Anissa

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Alt Universe Pierce family is gonna be a bit of a change of pace. Hopefully it'll be a nice standalone episode though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm going to guess that means Jeff won't be in the first two episodes of Crisis

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Is he a big fan of Earth, Wind and Fire?" Tobias :swoon:

nine-gear crow posted:

I was skeptical about Earthbender kid initially but the more him and Jen interact the more he’s grown on me. They’re really fun together.

He's definitely better than Khalil as her possible love interest.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That electric powers fight with the ASA dude was hilariously anticlimactic. I'm guessing he'll come back with some sort of suit later on, but what the hell?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

That electric powers fight with the ASA dude was hilariously anticlimactic. I'm guessing he'll come back with some sort of suit later on, but what the hell?

Also lol at Anissa beating the poo poo out of Khalil, finding out he's still alive and is an rear end asset... and just loving off to go help Gambi without telling anyone anything. This kind of felt like it was two episodes worth of storylines stitched together.

Commander Warcrimes' little "Well... gently caress" moment when copying Jeff's powers backfired was hilarious though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also lol at Anissa beating the poo poo out of Khalil, finding out he's still alive and is an rear end asset... and just loving off to go help Gambi without telling anyone anything. This kind of felt like it was two episodes worth of storylines stitched together.

Commander Warcrimes' little "Well... gently caress" moment when copying Jeff's powers backfired was hilarious though.

Yeah, Commander Copycat getting owned by the weakness of a power he copied is a common trope, but still satisfying just because of how he's built up

With the compressed plots, I could imagine that everything was probably plotted out to the episode, but then Crisis and BL's involvement in it was confirmed so they had to cut an episode for a tie-in and film around Jefferson's actor being in Vancouver for a few days or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

"I have your powers, but with MY training."
"Yeah, but I got a suit."
"Fair enough, down I go."

Yeesh. At least Khalil vs. Anissa round 2 was a fun watch.