Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Squirrel Burger posted:

history books are fun and all but really you should just watch deadwood

I stopped at the start of season 2 last year but I think ill jump back on that saddle

When the heck can we start talking about the story already, quit playing RDO people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Gruckles posted:

The trinket has a random chance to upgrade the quality of the item you get from a carcass. So if you messed up killing a 3-star animal and turned it into a 2-star corpse, there would still be a chance to harvest a perfect pelt anyway. Same if the animal started at 2-stars and you killed it correctly.

Yup. I've killed 2-stars and gotten a perfect pelt. Worth trying if you can't find that elusive 3-star animal.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Professorjuggalo posted:

I stopped at the start of season 2 last year but I think ill jump back on that saddle

When the heck can we start talking about the story already, quit playing RDO people

lol no.
I'm on ps4 so completed the story a long time ago. RDO is showing signs of actually becoming fun and entertaining after a long long wait.

It was a great story. I've been spoiler wary so just not mentioning it too.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Professorjuggalo posted:

Godless on Netflix is also an amazing Western series (10x 1hr). Slow burn but a brilliant Jeff Daniels, and if you like cinematic vistas and long shots of horses riding, boy is this the show for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iev_vyW9db4

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 3, 2019

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

True Grit (Coen brothers version), Unforgiven

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

SplitSoul posted:

Use this as a base. You can probably bump up some of the settings significantly.

One thing I've noticed with these settings is that bumping up the geometry level of detail to 5 instead of 3 makes a really big difference to how good the cliffs / rocks etc. look. Not sure what the fps hit is but it's worth it for me.

I love the look of this game so much that I can't bring myself to lower any settings. I get like 20-30fps in 4k, and just sort of wander around looking at things haha. I'm such an idiot. Really I should put it on hold until I can upgrade again in 6 months or so.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Do saddle parts not transfer? I had bought hooded stirrups and a lantern for my old saddle, but later on I bought a much better saddle. I equipped the starter stirrup and un equipped the lantern from my old saddle but still cannot put them on my new saddle. Do you really have to buy stuff independently for each saddle? Online if it matters.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61252/Moonshiners-A-New-Frontier-Pursuit

This is 120% going to be the GTA Online model of charging you upfront for bunch of upgrades that gives you a business which will never fully recoup those costs.

But then they

Rockstar posted:

"You'll also have the opportunity to set up your own underground Bar serving your own shine, with customizable décor and the option to add a country band complete with dance floor to entertain your friends and clientele."

and you know you're going to loving do it anyway.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

If I miss a day for dailies, does my reward reset? Or do I get to keep my multipliers? That .5 gold is nice

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I look forward to another six years of goons lamenting money sinks like this is new.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hakarne posted:

If I miss a day for dailies, does my reward reset? Or do I get to keep my multipliers? That .5 gold is nice

Resets. Sometimes it resets even if you don’t miss

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Hakarne posted:

Missing one day resets your entire accrued multiplier from what I've seen.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Super Foul Egg posted:

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61252/Moonshiners-A-New-Frontier-Pursuit

This is 120% going to be the GTA Online model of charging you upfront for bunch of upgrades that gives you a business which will never fully recoup those costs.

But then they

and you know you're going to loving do it anyway.

oh gently caress yes i am

also note the mention of a new weapon: the Navy revolver. COLT NAVY YES YES PLEASE OH GOD

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cool of them to make a new role tied to the trader role, which at times you cannot progress because of the major camp bug that they still have not fixed

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

maybe this is the bugfix

can’t move our camp if there’s a building on it

or can he

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Zigmidge posted:

I look forward to another six years of goons lamenting money sinks like this is new.

It was quite specifically lamenting it as if it wasn't new!

Anyway since you're now making GBS threads up THIS thread with your heavily projected bittervet garbage, is it worth asking why you constantly place yourself above the rest of the 'goons' despite making the world's gooniest capital G Gamer posts?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Cool of them to make a new role tied to the trader role, which at times you cannot progress because of the major camp bug that they still have not fixed

Cripps has packed up your basement and still

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now it has an in-fiction justification in which cripps has to unexpectedly stay ahead of the law. Bug fixed by making it a feature

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Zigmidge posted:

But if you'd don't constantly grind and make spreadsheets for your phoney-rear end nintendo businesses how else will you get to the secret, real online game where all the fun is?

I'm hoping bootlegger is the start of more "disreputable" job paths from the roles. Bounty hunting is fun, but I bet jailbreaking would be pretty rad too.

Eggplant Ronin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 3, 2019

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Oh hey, finally caught up playing enough to shitpost about it.

*gently caress* but some of these non-story/non-marked locations for loot are non-intuitive. I'm looking at Cowboy Parkour Jumping Puzzle Bird's Nest Gems, specifically. Are people actually randomly Tomb Raider 1899'ing it on every rock ledge they find?

Chellenge gearsets are *nice* - some look better, but the complete set buffs are worth it. Too bad Herbalist is the other Deadeye buff, because some plants are only in Flavor Dead Or Alive Country. Master Huntsman was... interesting, at times. 8 consecutive Small Game arrow kills, at Elysian Cave, would have been quick if I hadn't screwed up *twice* with 2 to go. And the third try, I managed to draw some Murfree Brood. (Note: if you hogtie someone, and accidentally/"accidentally" drop them to their death in the cave, it doesn't reset your streak. :ninja:)

Stooged about a bunch fishing for the final Survivalist challenge, ended up in knee-deep mud in a rainstorm off NE of St Denis, and *BOOOM* *whiteout* lightning strike nearby. Nearby enough I had embers floating down around me, maybe it was Revered Swanson passing along a "come home" message from camp?

Legendary Panther was fun - took me two tries because on the first one, kitteh jumped me, got thrown off and ran into the bush, thus getting out of sight before running back fast enough I couldn't aim/Deadeye fast enough. Second try, he tried sneaking up on me from about 50 yards out across an open field, and received a full magdump of buckshot to the face.

Arthur Morgan, will you stop accepting the hospitality of these creepy hill/swamp hicks? Billy Joe Jimmy Sam in the swamp "drained my cores" :quagmire:, and if I hadn't had a scripted "kick him in the head" murder, I think I would have left him hogtied with predator bait, just to watch Mutual of Yeehaw's Wild Kingdom. (Seriously, some of these folks seem to have family trees that are wreaths.)

Between the treasure hunts, random looting of houses/shacks/whatever, and selling off loot/critter parts, I'm running around with $10k+ and about $1400 in camp funds. Might have to go check into this Braithwaite place soon, I guess. (If you have the UltraLoot 2000 satchel, and a rifle, just cruise some of the swamps harvesting gators. Multiple Big Game meats per, you should be able to snag a Perfect skin at some point, and possibly multiples if you can find babby gators. (Those skins will stack on the horse like other game.) Cook some for hot Gold Core action, sell the rest.)

Found a witch's cauldron. Wonder if that raven dimed me out about looting the entire place before drinking the Mysterious Brew?

Found a crying woman in the swamp one night. In other news, gently caress NIGHT FOLK.

Still need a good source of cow/bull/ox pelts, without having to murder half the ranch and all the dogs. Moose seem rarer than cougars, but then again, they're not trying to eat me either.

24 Hours of Lemoynes: y'all lost the war for a *reason*, boys - your tactics suck. If you're gonna ambush someone, let them ride *past* your position and then unload into their backs. Yelling "Git th' bastard!" and leaping out into view is the best way to get a Deadeye demonstration. Also, lipping off to someone wearing a bunch of sweaty hair-covered Legendary Animal parts? Might as could be he didn't just find them things in a chest somewheres...

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Super Foul Egg posted:

It was quite specifically lamenting it as if it wasn't new!

Anyway since you're now making GBS threads up THIS thread with your heavily projected bittervet garbage, is it worth asking why you constantly place yourself above the rest of the 'goons' despite making the world's gooniest capital G Gamer posts?

We can have a console war slapfight if you prefer. We're getting more stuff from Rockstar for free, it's going to be fun. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it and I'm going to post photos and gifs and you can let yourself be bothered about it or not.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Complaining about Rockstar online stuff is totally legit though as they are known scumbags about it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm actually kind of surprised at how decent the rate in which you earn gold is, considering the publisher. If you log in to do a daily or two each day you'll have a ton of the stuff. Just treat Online, after your initial rush to play it, as a neat mode to unwind to.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Online mode is a blast with a friend or two. Going around the four of us shooting fools and generally being hooligans is great. Then again I kept tying and untying someone for 20 mins and throwing his perfect pelt into water so ymmv

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I really want the level 20 Kladruber (trader) mount because I'm sick of bitch-rear end horses that buck me when a cougar glances at them, and those are sexy and the best around wildlife (from what I've read). I found a great place to powerlevel trader if you don't mind a slight (but still fun imo) grind.

- Set your camp to Gaptooth Ridge.
- You'll need to session hop until your camp is placed in the open area south of Tumbleweed, North of The Scratching Post, and West of Benedict Point. There are two camp locations that I've gotten in that area so far.
- You only have two delivery locations from those camps: Benedict Point or Scratching Post. Both are less than a minute away for delivery.
- You get the same amount of trader exp (200) even if you only deliver 1 good. So you can quickly chain run deliveries for easy exp. Each level (at least up to 18) is 2k exp so it can go really quick if you get lucky and don't have shootouts on delivery.
- There are plenty of pronghorn and other medium animals around the camp and delivery points. Kill any 3-star animals you see on your way back from deliveries to keep your supplies topped off.
- Also, if you see a large flock of birds shoot a bunch down (Paint It Black card helps). Each feather gives 5 trader exp when turned in, and birds can give 2-4 feathers each. That exp adds up quickly! 5+ birds can be an easy 50-100 trader exp.
- Do supply missions as they pop for 500 trader exp.

I got 3 trader levels in ~2 hours of play doing this and that was with plenty of shooting, looting, and hunting. The trickiest part is getting RNGesus to place your camp in the right spot without Cripps being a fucker and packing it up. The firefights on delivery help keep it interesting, and there's plenty to hunt as well for some variety. Be warned, the Benedict Point delivery location will spawn a LOT of enemy NPCs if there's an ambush, including some elevated on the ridge. So make sure you're able to handle large NPC shootouts.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 3, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Did the bird eggs collection. Last egg failed to show up where it was supposed to. Spent a lot of .22 to get some of them. :suicide:

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Yeah, I avoid bird egg and flower collections like the plague. Doing all the others gets you close to $3500, so it doesn't seems like a huge loss to miss out on those two.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Saul Kain posted:

Yeah, I avoid bird egg and flower collections like the plague. Doing all the others gets you close to $3500, so it doesn't seems like a huge loss to miss out on those two.

Yeah - honestly once you get the metal detector, just doing the coins and jewelry is probably the best ROI.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Did the bird eggs collection. Last egg failed to show up where it was supposed to. Spent a lot of .22 to get some of them. :suicide:

Keep in mind all collector items are on cycles that vary based on day of the week, so an egg/item/plant you find on monday might not be there again until wednesday. Most collector maps/routes specify which cycle out of 3 they're for. Eggs often bug out though, like shooting their nest and the egg not falling to the ground and just staying stuck in the tree.

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah - honestly once you get the metal detector, just doing the coins and jewelry is probably the best ROI.

Arrows and Coins are definitely where it's at but given there's 15 of them doing it more than once can be a pain. You also need the hefty investment of the metal detector and shovel which is around $1k. All but the rarest eggs come in multiples so you usually only need to check off things like heron/hawk eggs if you want to turn them in a couple of times for seed money.

If you're in that kind of mood there are routes you can do in about 2 hours that net just over $1100, using heirlooms, arrows and coins. It's not something to do repeatedly as a grind but if youve got a chunk of time and don't mind just riding around for a guaranteed $1k it's solid.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fishstick posted:

Keep in mind all collector items are on cycles that vary based on day of the week, so an egg/item/plant you find on monday might not be there again until wednesday. Most collector maps/routes specify which cycle out of 3 they're for. Eggs often bug out though, like shooting their nest and the egg not falling to the ground and just staying stuck in the tree.

The interactive map accounts for that and all the others were in the right place. A lot of times the nests don't spawn, either, so you have to hit the tiny egg on a high branch from the right angle. Ended up just selling the eggs individually. Never doing that again.

Just got the gun trick skill, though! :clint:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Complaining about Rockstar online stuff is totally legit though as they are known scumbags about it?

It seems to me like they've taken a lot of lessons learned from GTAO, in a good sense. Saying goons are gonna look for the dark cloud in the silver lining is just as legit. If calling that out is capital G goony then send all the sweatsavers you got my way.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, I wish snow were a thing, I loved chapter 1 for the northern setting. Does the game ever take us north again or is there any cool reasons to go back? I'm in the middle of chapter 2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can definitely go north for fishing and hunting, and the safest / most effective spot(s) for bank robbing are out there. But I don't know if there are blizzards / snow depth like that again, though.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Deakul posted:

Man, I wish snow were a thing, I loved chapter 1 for the northern setting. Does the game ever take us north again or is there any cool reasons to go back? I'm in the middle of chapter 2.

For how good the snow looks in this game, it's incredibly underused.

I never had a reason to go back to the snow in the story but plenty of bounties and collection spots took me to the snow and the bounties were great. It's really easy to track a bounty that ran off in the snow...

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
if you like snow you can do the wolf man legendary bounty at five star difficulty and it triggers a map-wide blizzard you can explore all you'd like (including new austin)

or just wait for a christmas update

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I love being at the end of a mission and getting

"You have been disconnected due to a fault in Rockstars ;alkdjfa;lkjfdalfkj"

gently caress YOU YOU FUCKERS.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

You can definitely go north for fishing and hunting, and the safest / most effective spot(s) for bank robbing are out there. But I don't know if there are blizzards / snow depth like that again, though.

Can you rob banks in story mode outside of missions like you can rob stores?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Hakarne posted:

I love being at the end of a mission and getting

"You have been disconnected due to a fault in Rockstars ;alkdjfa;lkjfdalfkj"

gently caress YOU YOU FUCKERS.

:rockstar:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Freudian slippers posted:

Can you rob banks in story mode outside of missions like you can rob stores?

Not even sure you can enter banks in free roam. You can however blow open the safes in train cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

OK, how about in single player? Is it possible to do bank jobs without the gang?