Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Palpek posted:

Valakas Story - some weird-rear end Russian fighting game

I feel an intense need for this quite unlike anything else I have ever felt before. does anyone have any opinions?

Edit: is this honestly a super low-budget rip off of a Yakuza game set in rural Russia?

Expecting an intense amount of cringe and racism for some reason.
https://youtu.be/8hCCCRAcTAA

Zushio fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It's some russian streamer's fangame, so probably garbage.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That looks like it's Eddie(?) from Silent Hill 2

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zushio posted:

Edit: is this honestly a super low-budget rip off of a Yakuza game set in rural Russia?
The visuals look more like Silent Hill though. Oh yeah, it's set in rural Russia, nevermind.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A solid batch today:

Dream Detective - some sort of story-driven Where's Waldo, looks trippy as hell

Freud Gate - an adventure puzzle game exploring depression, set between the real and dream worlds, so far very well reviewed, also that game title

Blades of Gory - an 8-bit take on the fighting genre but with more gore

Everreach: Project Eden - an action RPG released out of nowhere that looks pretty polished and was made by some ex-Bioware employees, might be short though

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Palpek posted:

Everreach: Project Eden - an action RPG released out of nowhere that looks pretty polished and was made by some ex-Bioware employees, might be short though

Only out for a few hours and at mostly negative reviews

Looks good though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think this video, which does like 4-5 min on a few different indie titles, is applicable to this thread. Not sure how new everything is, but I've definitely never heard of a minesweeper roguelike, much less two of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv4M94e9LiA

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

OgNar posted:

Only out for a few hours and at mostly negative reviews

Looks good though.

Its jank as gently caress. Like there is the framework of a decent little Indie game here but needs a couple of fixes to really help smooth everything out Weird stuff too, like the camera is constantly bobbing while characters are talking to each other, stand-by/relaxed setting for most characters looks weird as well, and by default the mouse sensitivity is set wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to high (without a good way to change it).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fellis posted:

I think this video, which does like 4-5 min on a few different indie titles, is applicable to this thread. Not sure how new everything is, but I've definitely never heard of a minesweeper roguelike, much less two of them
It's a cool video even if some of those games have already been posted. Especially Some Distant Memory looks really interesting and might end up being a hidden gem. Also Minesweeper is apparently an entire genre on Steam as there are dozens of different takes on the premise released on the platform.

In other news Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory released as an Epic exclusive. It's a classic party crpg with an active pause set in a sci-fi 'big brother's watching' setting. It looks dope as hell.

:f5:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
This is apparently based on the old Paranoia pen & paper RPG. It's a fun setting: the world is controlled by a supercomputer that's gone exceptionally sane, and the players are Troubleshooters, who are basically an enforcement squad for the computer. There's also a mishmash of various underground resistance groups, and typically the players are also secret members of one or more of those. High flying action and espionage shenanigans ensue.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The enemies are traitors, mutants, and members of secret societies (particularly Commies) - all offenses punishable by termination. Every player is, of course, all three.

The quirk in tabletop was that all the players were usually members of different secret societies (or spies/double agents infiltrating said societies) and had secret objectives to try and execute in the course of assignments (stealing from and/or murdering other players were common enough). The assignments themselves would also have objectives that would be contradictory, obviously lethal for the Troubleshooters, and so on. Failure to complete objectives is punishable by termination.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Paranoia as a videogame really needs excellent writers to pull off the setting. Not sure about this though, maybe it's good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If somebody ends up buying it, let us know if it's good.

Darksiders Genesis - a Darksiders prequel released and it's an isometric action game, looks badass honestly

Z Dawn - a hex turn-based take on surviving a zombie apocalypse, looks competent, is well received

Little Dungeon Stories - a roguelike card RPG, seems neat

Two Worlds II HD - Shattered Embrace - it's Two Worlds Two: the Twoworldering but with more rats

Astron Tycoon 2: Ritual - a village building tycoon set in 2000 BC

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I'm not very far into it yet but so far I an rather enjoying Mosaic.
It's real pretty but definitely not a game everyone is how enjoy.

Its got a sick clicker mini game built in you can play on your phone while you commute to your soul sticking corporate nightmare job.
https://twitter.com/SecksWrecks/status/1203068380091207680?s=19

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I noticed that game on the list right after posting the last batch. It has an intriguing visual style an I like its theme.

Here is another one I missed:

Interrogation: You will be deceived - you control law enforcement and interrogate members of a terrorist group while deciding on actions that you should take in the field, looks very interesting

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

Paranoia as a videogame really needs excellent writers to pull off the setting. Not sure about this though, maybe it's good.

It’s good and in keeping with the tabletop. I got an infraction for wandering into a yellow area. Not too far in, but it’s got the flavor down.

My team threw me under the bus at debrief and i’m already classified as ‘deviant’.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hav posted:

It’s good and in keeping with the tabletop. I got an infraction for wandering into a yellow area. Not too far in, but it’s got the flavor down.

My team threw me under the bus at debrief and i’m already classified as ‘deviant’.

Oh good, i'll likely play this over christmas then, i've always really liked the setting.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
There's a Vampire: the Masquerade game coming out today - Coteries of New York

Seems to be a VN with multiple branching paths.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BONEWORKS came out yesterday. It's a highly detailed VR action game simulation that's pretty insane in how robust it is. It feels like it was pitched to Valve at some point because there's a lot of Portal/Half-Life vibes coming from it. Honestly looks too loving intense for me to enjoy but drat does it look sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWBeyiXaig

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Frog Detective 2:The Case of the Invisible Wizard dropped this week.

It's got just about anything you could ask for in a game, except for maybe a highly in depth player driven hat based economy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This isn't *quite* new, but The Touryst seems like it came out of nowhere with a pretty stealthy Switch release a couple weeks back. I never heard of it til yesterday but it's been getting a lot of good reviews. It's apparently a pretty chill, light quest/exploration game with puzzles and challenges to find and solve. Also the art design is really good, sort of a voxelly Link's Awakening remake, very well done if you dig that style, and it sounds like it's a small enough package that it runs like silk even on the Switch.

I'm really liking what I've seen, but the alleged ~10 hours playtime and :20bux: price point are at the high end of me just jumping in to try it. Anybody else see this/play it?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Hav posted:

I just finished it. The final levels get really annoying, but it's a janky love letter done by fans of the series. I actually really like it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Frog Detective 2:The Case of the Invisible Wizard dropped this week.

It's got just about anything you could ask for in a game, except for maybe a highly in depth player driven hat based economy.

It's pretty charming and funny so far. Some good callback jokes to the previous game, but don't feel like you need to play it first. Half of the humour is weird non sequiturs so it all blends in.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's pretty charming and funny so far. Some good callback jokes to the previous game, but don't feel like you need to play it first. Half of the humour is weird non sequiturs so it all blends in.

Like, the first game felt like it was about three dozen tiny little video game jokes and one absolutely stellar punchline out of loving nowhere, if the second is anything like it I'm all in

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I realized I had some eshopbux sitting around to bring the price down a bit and picked it up. Aside from a few annoyances in puzzle and boss fight design, it's pretty much as charming and fun as I hoped. Short and light enough that it's not an immediate go-out-and-buy-it but it'd be very worth it on sale for :10bux: or so.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Somfin posted:

Like, the first game felt like it was about three dozen tiny little video game jokes and one absolutely stellar punchline out of loving nowhere, if the second is anything like it I'm all in

That's basically the sequel as well. There are some new gags, but the same style. It rides this thin line where characters say truly bizarre things, but they also all respond to said weird things like a normal person would. It's really funny, but I'm not sure why.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

man this thread really makes it clear how incredibly dire it is to release an indie game in this day and age. either your game becomes a viral hit like the goose game or disco elysium or it just get buried in between a million other releases

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

At least it's getting slightly better on the visibility side.

The year shovel knight came out that was essentially the only indie game mainstream press covered.

The new sokpop patreon game came out, haven't had a chance to play it myself but it looks pretty cool.
https://youtu.be/3ZpguT8xI-s
https://sokpop.itch.io/uniseas

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 15, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Starcom: Nexus is a neat little game that left early access a few days ago and it feels like its been a bit overlooked so I thought I'd post about it. The most brief way to describe it is to say that it's basically Star Control 2 in 2019. You command a starship that has been suddenly whisked away to a wholly mysterious part of space and to figure out what has happened you explore, fight, conduct diplomacy, and expand your ship. I haven't finished it yet but from what I've played it's a very solid and faithful successor to Star Control while having enough differences to avoid feeling like it's just retreading old ground. Planet exploration is a textual affair not unlike surveying anomalies in Stellaris rather than the old (and rather tedious imo) resources collection minigame from Star Control. The coolest difference I think is that Starcom takes Star Control's ship customization and dials it up to eleven. You build your ship piece by piece on a hex grid for total control over how your ship looks and performs. It does mean the ships have a bit of a lego appearance to them which some people might love or hate but it also makes for a satisfying progression as you eventually expand your ship from a tiny shuttle to a massive battleship bristling with weapons.

Overall, Starcom's a fun and meaty game that's well worth the 17 bux. I highly recommend it to fans of Star Control, Starsector, and Spaz and anyone who likes games about space and exploration.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gobblecoque posted:

Starcom: Nexus is a neat little game that left early access a few days ago and it feels like its been a bit overlooked so I thought I'd post about it. The most brief way to describe it is to say that it's basically Star Control 2 in 2019. You command a starship that has been suddenly whisked away to a wholly mysterious part of space and to figure out what has happened you explore, fight, conduct diplomacy, and expand your ship. I haven't finished it yet but from what I've played it's a very solid and faithful successor to Star Control while having enough differences to avoid feeling like it's just retreading old ground. Planet exploration is a textual affair not unlike surveying anomalies in Stellaris rather than the old (and rather tedious imo) resources collection minigame from Star Control. The coolest difference I think is that Starcom takes Star Control's ship customization and dials it up to eleven. You build your ship piece by piece on a hex grid for total control over how your ship looks and performs. It does mean the ships have a bit of a lego appearance to them which some people might love or hate but it also makes for a satisfying progression as you eventually expand your ship from a tiny shuttle to a massive battleship bristling with weapons.

Overall, Starcom's a fun and meaty game that's well worth the 17 bux. I highly recommend it to fans of Star Control, Starsector, and Spaz and anyone who likes games about space and exploration.

I've rarely read something about a video game that induces such a powerful need in me. I opened the Steam store before I even finished reading your post.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Gobblecoque posted:

This is 100% purchased. Thanks for the recommendation!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Played it for an hour or so but the implementation is really frustrating. I want to like it but the execution is just poor.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1207316918627184642

Free update to goty

E: wrong thread! Apologies. Still, CoH is good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh wow, I was hoping for an excuse to play CoH again. Necrodancer is still way too hardcore for me but CoH was a blast.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Baldr Sky official translation was released yesterday. It's a long, highly-acclaimed anime visual novel with some 2D action RPG fight sequences. The game was originally released in Japan in 2009 and apparently the translation required some reverse engineering since the developer lost the original source code.

From what I can gather, the story premise is The Matrix with mecha fighting a war on the Internet.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gobblecoque posted:

As stated I bought this on the strength of this recommendation alone and I want to report that it whips rear end, get this game and explore space and blow poo poo up

Particularly love some of the little touches like different races using different resources as currency.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Xeno Raptor came out today of Early Access, a take on more 90s ideas of a shmup. Chill WASD control with dashing, more like a topdown shooter. Bit monotone sound desing maybe but there is a demo and it's currently only 2€

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enn6hxgthn4

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Ms Adequate posted:

As stated I bought this on the strength of this recommendation alone and I want to report that it whips rear end, get this game and explore space and blow poo poo up

Particularly love some of the little touches like different races using different resources as currency.

This game is very good

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, just finished it, maybe 20 hours of play in it and it’s good stuff.