Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I never really had a problem with headrests myself, just don't use them exclusively and you'll be fine in my opinion. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I should probably tell you all the Herman Miller Embody is inferior to the Steelcase Gesture. I kind of wanted to have a long sitting session (2+ hours) before I posted about it but as I never liked the Embody in the first place and I can't imagine my opinion would change (that and I don't know when I'll find myself sitting in it for so long). The Gesture has better build quality. The armrests are nicer, things are less flimsy feeling (probably partly because it's heavy). As far as comfort goes it's more padded and fits me better.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 8, 2019

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anybody ever use the Hon HVL721 long term? I sat in one at work and it seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for: Mesh, high back, decent price.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Does anyone know a good secondhand store for these chairs in the Seattle area? I realized the reason my back hurts virtually all the time is probably because my work at home office chair sucks

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I think I've made up my mind on a "fully featured" Aeron (size C.) Looking at getting it from seatingmind.com who has it for $509. But they also have a make an offer popup, what would be a good price to offer?

Any reason not to use seatingmind or is there another place that I should be looking for one?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wifi Toilet posted:

I think I've made up my mind on a "fully featured" Aeron (size C.) Looking at getting it from seatingmind.com who has it for $509. But they also have a make an offer popup, what would be a good price to offer?

Any reason not to use seatingmind or is there another place that I should be looking for one?

Try local first. There has to be a office furniture liquidator in your area that you can at least try before you buy and return/exchange if there's something wrong.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
New or used Aeron, and if used, how old? There's probably Aerons out there older than the people sitting in them.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Went to a showroom. Tried out the Aeron and the Embody, Embody didn't do it for me at all. Aeron blew me away. found one on Craigslist, used, guy refurbishes them as a hobby, new cylinder, rollerblade wheels, brand new seat.

So comfortable. Not like "soft pillowy comfort" but just nice firm support comfort. I'm really hopeful my nearly chronic back pain will go away.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
New Aerons are much better than old ones imo. The tightening feature is basically broken on old ones, because you have to turn them for literally five minutes to adjust them. It's the dumbest thing.

See how easy it is to adjust the tightness (flex) of the chair before you buy, because it's basically the whole concept of the chair.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Personally I can’t stand adjusting the resist and would like my chair to lock out going back. Some setons used to do that but some of the cheaper or conference room ones just have the resistance.

Overall very comfortable. Aeron vs Embody is like debating BlendTec vs VitaMix when almost everyone else is using the Sunbeam.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hed posted:

Personally I can’t stand adjusting the resist and would like my chair to lock out going back. Some setons used to do that but some of the cheaper or conference room ones just have the resistance.

Overall very comfortable. Aeron vs Embody is like debating BlendTec vs VitaMix when almost everyone else is using the Sunbeam.

You can find the cheaper chair more comfortable. The more expensive blenders are just better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm wanting to get a Nice Chair, but I'm having a hard time finding places that sell chairs from the high-end brands in Memphis. The only place I can find on the internet that seems like it might actually sell Herman Miller chairs is this ( https://apgof.com/ ) and it's not clear to me if this company actually sells to individuals or if it's just a business vendor. If you search for a store on Herman Miller's own website, the closest places are in St. Louis and Nashville. I guess it can't hurt to stop by this place and see what they have.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I'm wanting to get a Nice Chair, but I'm having a hard time finding places that sell chairs from the high-end brands in Memphis. The only place I can find on the internet that seems like it might actually sell Herman Miller chairs is this ( https://apgof.com/ ) and it's not clear to me if this company actually sells to individuals or if it's just a business vendor. If you search for a store on Herman Miller's own website, the closest places are in St. Louis and Nashville. I guess it can't hurt to stop by this place and see what they have.

Try Craig’s list?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, definitely go in! The place I bought from was very clearly oriented at commercial clients, but they didn't seem to care that I wasn't a business client. Hell, for all they know, you might be a buyer at a startup or something.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Found a local outlet in Brooklyn selling Herman Miller chairs. Got a mint condition Embody for $600 on the advice of this thread. They also had Aeron’s and Mirras but I found the Embody more comfy.

I’ll miss having a headrest but I guess a healthier better posture is more important than leaning back. I’ve already had neck surgery for herniated discs which I’m sure is in no small part due to bad sitting posture.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Animal posted:

Found a local outlet in Brooklyn selling Herman Miller chairs. Got a mint condition Embody for $600 on the advice of this thread. They also had Aeron’s and Mirras but I found the Embody more comfy.

I’ll miss having a headrest but I guess a healthier better posture is more important than leaning back. I’ve already had neck surgery for herniated discs which I’m sure is in no small part due to bad sitting posture.

Wait what outlet is this because I desperately need a new chair but the usual online suspects are strangely terrible for NYC it seems?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait what outlet is this because I desperately need a new chair but the usual online suspects are strangely terrible for NYC it seems?

Design Within Reach in Industry City.
I took the newest looking gray Embody, the rest looked good too, they just need a bit of cleaning with a damp cloth from being stored for a while. All of them seemed functionally perfect and I didn’t notice any obvious blemishes. I wanted the blue/black one but my wife vetoed it. They had two shades of blue, another gray, and a black. All of them for $599.

They also have a ton of Aerons and Mirras and other types but those were not priced so aggressively. I don’t understand why the price the Aerons only $100 lower than the Embody, I suppose they sell those more because of name recognition.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Animal posted:

Design Within Reach in Industry City.
I took the newest looking gray Embody, the rest looked good too, they just need a bit of cleaning with a damp cloth from being stored for a while. All of them seemed functionally perfect and I didn’t notice any obvious blemishes. I wanted the blue/black one but my wife vetoed it. They had two shades of blue, another gray, and a black. All of them for $599.

They also have a ton of Aerons and Mirras and other types but those were not priced so aggressively. I don’t understand why the price the Aerons only $100 lower than the Embody, I suppose they sell those more because of name recognition.

Oh drat, I didn't realize DWR did sale prices like that. Definitely gonna have to try to check it out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Any thoughts on the Tempur-Pedic branded chairs Staples sells? I'm specifically looking at this one: https://www.staples.com/Temperpedic-TP-6400/product_2724237

I sat in it in the store the other day and liked it, but obviously that can only tell me so much.

It seems to check all the boxes I was looking for (high back, not leather, decent recline with a lockout, adjustable armrests) and is going to be $199 for BF.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

wolrah posted:

Any thoughts on the Tempur-Pedic branded chairs Staples sells? I'm specifically looking at this one: https://www.staples.com/Temperpedic-TP-6400/product_2724237

I sat in it in the store the other day and liked it, but obviously that can only tell me so much.

It seems to check all the boxes I was looking for (high back, not leather, decent recline with a lockout, adjustable armrests) and is going to be $199 for BF.

I don't know anything about it specifically, but the 10-year limited warranty on it suggests to me that it's probably well-built.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Just a reminder that Herman Miller's 15% off sale is running through Dec. 3rd!

I'm bummed that I didn't think to check early enough to find a showroom that would let me demo a chair at home early enough that I could make a decision before the sale ends, been considering switching from my 18-year-old Aeron to an Embody, but as a tall dude am very concerned about shoulder/back pressure being a thing I might not catch on first-sit. :(

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zarin posted:

I don't know anything about it specifically, but the 10-year limited warranty on it suggests to me that it's probably well-built.
They actually beat their advertised price, I ended up getting it for $169.

Considering my current chair looks like this I think that's going to be money well spent even if it isn't the greatest chair ever made. I didn't realize there was a 10 year warranty though, that with a major brand name attached certainly does make me more confident in the build quality.

I wasn't planning to actually go out today, but I apparently miscalculated on cat food so I might see if I can get my order changed over to a store pickup rather than waiting for it to be delivered on Monday.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I wanna get an Embody, is it worth buying new or is it like buying a car where it's just a stupid waste of money to buy new instead of used?

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the
I don’t believe they will honor the 12 year warranty if you get it used. It was worth the price difference to me to have it but I’m sure not everyone feels that way.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
i sleep easier knowing i'm the only one to fart on my embody

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I got an Embody like 8 years ago for less than half price and it was used but basically new. They’re sturdy as gently caress and generally easy to clean. If you can get a lightly used one i would highly suggest it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theOctagon posted:

I don’t believe they will honor the 12 year warranty if you get it used. It was worth the price difference to me to have it but I’m sure not everyone feels that way.

Ah I just assumed it was transferrable, yeah sounds good then thanks

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I mean if you can get a good quality one for half the price then do that, otherwise there is no problem getting it new. It’s worth it. I was lucky I found a mint condition one for half the price but if I hadn’t I would have paid full price without regrets.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I tend to buy new things, but really it's probably wiser to buy it used if you don't care about the color and have the patience/time to find a good used one. Better yet as someone who had both an Embody and Steelcase Gesture get the Gesture.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 4, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having an exceptionally bad day and the thought popped into my head:

Can I use a massage chair as an office/gaming chair in my house? I play at my PC but not much with mouse/keyboard, I'm usually laid back with an Xbox controller. I'm sure the novelty would wear off and I'd regret getting a multi-thousand massage chair, but all these fuckin' Costco reviews make them sound so great.

wolrah posted:

They actually beat their advertised price, I ended up getting it for $169.

Yeah it's up on Staples.com for $169 right now thru Dec 7, so much for Black Friday pricing. I'm tempted to grab one of those, just because I've been using a Tempurpedic pillow for like 15 years now and it's basically my security blanket.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

Can I use a massage chair as an office/gaming chair in my house? I play at my PC but not much with mouse/keyboard, I'm usually laid back with an Xbox controller. I'm sure the novelty would wear off and I'd regret getting a multi-thousand massage chair, but all these fuckin' Costco reviews make them sound so great.
Are you talking about one of those recliner style things? I don't see how it'd be significantly different from using a normal recliner, other than maybe more restrictions on where you could put the keyboard/mouse for when you're using it as an office chair. For gaming purposes as long as your display is in a place you could see while using the chair it should be fine, maybe even a bit better for long sessions because it could keep your blood flowing.

If you do it, be sure to let us know how it goes haha. I can't say I haven't wondered the same, but the price and fear of such a complicated machine failing after their inevitably short warranty runs out keeps me away.

quote:

Yeah it's up on Staples.com for $169 right now thru Dec 7, so much for Black Friday pricing. I'm tempted to grab one of those, just because I've been using a Tempurpedic pillow for like 15 years now and it's basically my security blanket.
It got delivered on Saturday morning, so I've had three full work days of rear end-in-seat so far and I think for the cost it's great. I still find the memory foam a bit weird, sitting down hard and feeling like I landed on a brick before it slowly conforms to my rear end, but the support is pretty amazing. If you're interested I recommend going to a Staples and giving it a sit in store. I'd recommend bringing something to read, you're going to want to sit there for a while for it to fully settle in.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zero VGS posted:

Pretty much what Wolrah said. However, I want to add that yeah - as long as you can get the monitor/keyboard/mouse (I know you said controller but still) into a comfortable/ergonomic/non-strain position, hell yeah, go for it.

When I was at a relative's house, I ended up playing an MMO in their recliner; they had an entire setup for it. Some sort of table that came across the lap and angled toward me slightly, and since I was on a laptop that gave the mouse/keyboard/monitor the same angle. Kick back, legs up, chill for a bit - it was pretty nice.

The only downside was that the recliner was probably older than me, so I could feel pressure on my hips/back where I was basically sitting on the frame after an hour or so. Since your chair will be brand-new, you shouldn't have that issue. Also, depending on the chair, your pressure points will be moving constantly.

Definitely +1 to "if you do it, give us a trip report".

Edit: I sit at a height-adjustable desk with a footrest roughly the same height as my seatpan for gaming now, so I'm basically just in a less-fancy setup of what you're describing and it's worked out pretty well. I deffo need a new chair though. Maybe in the spring . . .

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I too have wondered hey my recliner is comfortable what if I set up a way to use that.... I've always come to the conclusion it'd be a hassle and probably in the way, but certainly there's a good solution somewhere. Maybe something like https://www.amazon.com/MONITOR-ARM-KEYBOARD-TRAY/dp/B008BW9XHK but with more mouse space?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone still looking at the Staples Tempurpedic chair, not only is the price at $169 currently, but there's a Coupon Code 85015 which takes $25 off a purchase of over $100.

I combined that with mrrebates.com for 4% cashback to get everything under $150 after tax.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm probably going to use my bonus this year to grab a new chair so I can move my GamerBrand RacerX chair to a room where I don't sit in it as much since I'm noticing it's starting to hurt to sit in for longer periods than a few hours. I've sat in both the Leap and Gesture and liked them both, and will probably go with one of those - is there a reason to prefer one to other? I like the look of the Gesture more but if the Leap has a reason to get it over the Gesture I'll go with that.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gesture's arms did it for me. When I'm not typing and using my phone, tablet, or Switch, the better range of motion and ease of adjustment makes it fast to adopt a more comfortable position and then swap back to even height armrests for typing.

Also I'm a wider person and the Leap's arms weren't far apart enough.

Price might be a big factor between the two but there can be mitigating factors there too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Uhg I don't like this Staples Tempurpedic chair. Right of the bat it doesn't go as low as my old chair so I can't sit with my legs crossed, and it's not as wide nor does it mean back as far, so I can't sit truth my legs folded either. Back to the drawing board for something that cradles me better.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Argas posted:

Gesture's arms did it for me. When I'm not typing and using my phone, tablet, or Switch, the better range of motion and ease of adjustment makes it fast to adopt a more comfortable position and then swap back to even height armrests for typing.

Also I'm a wider person and the Leap's arms weren't far apart enough.

Price might be a big factor between the two but there can be mitigating factors there too.

The arms are what were making me lean towards the gesture, I’ll go with that and switch to leap if I don’t like it after the 30 day return period from the dealer in town.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I quickly started to hate the Staples Hykken I bought from Craigslist for $80. It’s comfortable only if you’re in media consumption mode, i.e. your back fully against the back of the chair and using the headrest. Anything else and the seat area is just too small. Ugh, maybe I can sell it for $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Josh Lyman posted:

I quickly started to hate the Staples Hykken I bought from Craigslist for $80. It’s comfortable only if you’re in media consumption mode, i.e. your back fully against the back of the chair and using the headrest. Anything else and the seat area is just too small. Ugh, maybe I can sell it for $60.

Are you of larger stature? I have been using this thing for 40 hours a week and am still impressed with it. Had it for over a year now.