Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Climb is out now, along with that Metal Gear/Solid Snake clone

Is The Climb the first cryengine VR title for Quest? It... runs ok, but it's not buttery-smooth as I'd like. Haven't tried the solid snake clone yet.

Edit: I guess there are two solid snake vr clones coming to quest? I was thinking "Phantom" came out today, but instead they released "Espire 1”?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Butcher posted:

I'd like to nominate this one as the best motion sickness induction simulator, and I'm basically immune to it usually.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1051570/Hockey_Player_VR/

plz add "gently caress you, shorsey!" dlc

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm getting a Quest tomorrow. Aside from the (free?) Vader stuff, what is absolutely essential? I really haven't experienced much VR. (We got a psvr but I really only played AstroBot, and then tried to play Beat Saber and it was so janky with the tracking that I couldn't stand it)

Edit:
Oh, and separately, what would be worth checking out among my small steam collection of games which apparently have a VR component, using the link??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i must compose posted:

So is an RTX 2070 and i7-7700 good enough for project cars 2? And is motion smoothing just a terrible thing to use? I keep hearing talk about artifacts but don't understand what that would mean.
You should definitely leave motion smoothing turned on, most of the time it does nothing but if you start dropping frames it kicks in and reprojects the last frame to your current head position. If you've moved your head a lot in that time you do get some artifacts, mostly things just look a little smeary or skewed especially if its a really close object and disoccluded something behind it, but its much better than the alternative of your fps chunking up and making you puke

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Chinook posted:

I'm getting a Quest tomorrow. Aside from the (free?) Vader stuff, what is absolutely essential? I really haven't experienced much VR. (We got a psvr but I really only played AstroBot, and then tried to play Beat Saber and it was so janky with the tracking that I couldn't stand it)

Edit:
Oh, and separately, what would be worth checking out among my small steam collection of games which apparently have a VR component, using the link??

On that list, No Man's Sky and probably Project CARS 2. Don't know about the others except Subnautica, which requires you use a gamepad to control it while in VR and might have other issues, I didn't play it long enough in VR to find out but others have spoken negatively about it.

e: There are other lists of suggested games somewhere in the last few pages but Poker Stars VR is very good and free.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chinook posted:

Edit:

NMS is really good, all the weird procgen stuff is much cooler looking in VR. Pcars if you like racing games, pretty much any racing game is good in VR. And Subnautica's VR support is really janky but its worth checking out.

I don't think the HL2 stuff works anymore, and idk that Trackmania 2 ever had it, not sure why that's there.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chinook posted:

Edit:

Well, I would say try beatsaber, since its very popular. If you liked AstroBot being a 3rd person platformer in VR, you might want to check out "moss", which is kind of similar. Its hard to say really because it depends on what kind of games you like. A lot of games features "cross-buy" which just means if you buy it on the oculus store on PC, or on the Quest, you get both the mobile and PC versions with one purchase. So for example if you picked up the climb on Quest, wanted to play it at high fidelity, you could plug in the link cable, and play the PC version for free. Not every game supports there, but I would say a majority that are on both systems, but I wouldn't ever just assume it without checking it out.

You can also check out and install "sidequest" its a PC app that makes sideloading easy. Theres some neat projects people have built for quest that haven't made it on the oculus store to check out, as well as tools for modding beatsaber and such on there.

You might want to start though checking out some of the free stuff, like PokerStars VR, or Rec Room. Rec Room in particular has a lot of modes, of particular note are paintball and the quests.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Deviant posted:

plz add "gently caress you, shorsey!" dlc

Ferda

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for the suggestions. That should keep me busy for a while. :)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Did Amazon have any headsets on sale for Cyber Monday? I got some gift cards so if so I may wait until Christmas rolls around.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PantsBandit posted:

Did Amazon have any headsets on sale for Cyber Monday? I got some gift cards so if so I may wait until Christmas rolls around.

Just the Rift S. It was 350 for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Not much else outside of the Samsung Odyssey+ that was sold for 230 bucks but it’s sold out. BH Photo still has it in stock I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who wants to burn some money? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2269925439778365/

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Chinook posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. That should keep me busy for a while. :)

A bunch of those games aren't actually VR compatible, they showed up in my dynamic list as well. Go to the store page and see if it has VR listed if you want to make sure.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

it looks like it has proprietary controllers?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just the Rift S. It was 350 for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Not much else outside of the Samsung Odyssey+ that was sold for 230 bucks but it’s sold out. BH Photo still has it in stock I think.

Am I correct in thinking the Rift S is the go-to these days? It seems to be basically comparable to pricier headsets as long as you don't need the absolute max resolution.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PantsBandit posted:

Am I correct in thinking the Rift S is the go-to these days? It seems to be basically comparable to pricier headsets as long as you don't need the absolute max resolution.

If your IPD's around the 63-67mm range, it's fine. Anything outside that, better off with a Quest or spurging on an Index. And even then, you might get more out of the Quest in the long run.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And even then, you might get more out of the Quest in the long run.

Why's that?

Also lol at spurging on and index

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PantsBandit posted:

Why's that?

Also lol at spurging on and index

It's fully portable, so you can just take it with you anywhere. Plus several titles on the Oculus store have crossbuy.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Eh, new page. I'll post it here.

Uggo, but a padded package.

Hollowed the noodle out to about 1/4" thickness. I'll probably do another piece a little more carefully, now that I know it gets the job done.

Strapped on with two generic velcro straps. Don't mind my earbud situation.

It's definitely helped with the neck fatigue and having to constantly fiddle with the visor all the time or crank down the straps until I get a pressure headache. I think a 1-2-3 Block would probably be near perfect for this, but that would run me at least $10, and I already had this junk.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's fully portable, so with crossbuy on the Oculus store you can just take it with you anywhere.

Ohhh yeah I hadn't really looked at that one yet. If it has parity with the other headsets that sounds like the option for me for sure.

Thanks for the help! I might actually just go on Amazon tonight and buy one of these things :P

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How’s Stormland?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Is there anyone out there who hasn't modded their Quest? I sorta get that it wasn't made to be used long term for the most part considering the battery life. But every time I see anything about the Quest, the first thing people mention is getting this, or getting that. I suppose Link maybe exacerbates the problem.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PantsBandit posted:

Ohhh yeah I hadn't really looked at that one yet. If it has parity with the other headsets that sounds like the option for me for sure.

Thanks for the help! I might actually just go on Amazon tonight and buy one of these things :P

The Rift S DOES has a slightly higher resolution, but not to a noteable extent by most accounts.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is there anyone out there who hasn't modded their Quest? I sorta get that it wasn't made to be used long term for the most part considering the battery life. But every time I see anything about the Quest, the first thing people mention is getting this, or getting that. I suppose Link maybe exacerbates the problem.

I asked, and a poster itt gave me some good stuff to mod my quest with. But I haven't done it.

I, and my kids, just don't play it long enough at a stretch to need more than a couple hours battery life. Also haven't even noticed it being uncomfortable to wear either.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes most people haven't, but this is the internet. The .1% who did a mod will talk about it, remaining the 3% of users who post on the internet who haven't done a mod won't post that and the 96% who aren't on the internet but enjoying the product won't do a mod.

My first mod was this: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/c3xhyn/may_i_present_the_frankenquest_go_if_you_have_a/ I used a short extension and the Vive short ear buds to give me an optional headphones while keeping it easy to travel. I had a DAS but was taking a trip and the DAS makes it take up way more room.

My next mod was the DAS mod. The reason you're seeing so many people talk about the Quest mods is because people love and use the thing. It's the same reason we saw a bunch of people doing mods to the original Vive.

The Quest is a very good product that people like to use for long periods of time. I think the original config is perfectly fine, but adding some headphones really helps for noise isolation and audio quality. Adding a DAS/counter weight makes it a bit more comfortable but out of the box it's a great product.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would also say the comfort can vary pretty greatly. I haven't done any comfort mods (I have a pleather cover since I sweat a lot which I'd recommend for any headset and lens inserts because I hate wearing glasses, which I only needed to start doing a few months ago) and it feels pretty comfortable to me, I can wear it for pretty much any length of time, but I know some people who can't really wear it more than 20 minutes without getting a headache.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

PantsBandit posted:

You can't really just say one is better than the other when both are a series of tradeoffs against each other. It is best to learn about each headset fully and decide which one has the tradeoffs you are more comfortable with.

Rift S:
o Sacrifices contrast for a sharper image (has more subpixels for sharper text).
o Requires a free DisplayPort / Mini DisplayPort connector on your GPU.
o PC VR only.
+ Has 5 cameras for improved tracking volume with less deadzones.
- Lenses have a fixed 63.5 mm IPD. How this affects you depends on biology. It will either not bother you at all, or it may give you excessive eye strain or headaches.
- Halo strap makes it more difficult to use custom audio drivers.
+ Halo strap seen as more comfortable by some.

Quest:
o Has superior contrast levels but less subpixels resulting in less sharp text.
+ Has a mobile SoC allowing untethered, standalone gameplay. Some games even have cross-buy between the mobile and PC stores.
- Only has 4 cameras for tracking resulting in more deadzones than the Rift S. Usually not an issue, though.
+ Can be used as a PC VR headset using a USB 3.0 cable at the expense of worse image quality compared to Rift S. Currently only officially works with NVIDIA GTX 1060 GPUs and above. AMD support spotty. USB 3.0 cables generally aren't as long as the Rift S cable leading to reliance on active extension cables, which may prevent the ability of the headset to keep its battery charged while playing.
+ Mechanical IPD slider allows 58-72mm range, resulting in a sharper picture and less eye related issues.
- Front heavy which results in people modifying their setup to add counterweights and whatnot.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Nalin posted:

You can't really just say one is better than the other when both are a series of tradeoffs against each other. It is best to learn about each headset fully and decide which one has the tradeoffs you are more comfortable with.

Rift S:
o Sacrifices contrast for a sharper image (has more subpixels for sharper text).
o Requires a free DisplayPort / Mini DisplayPort connector on your GPU.
o PC VR only.
+ Has 5 cameras for improved tracking volume with less deadzones.
- Lenses have a fixed 63.5 mm IPD. How this affects you depends on biology. It will either not bother you at all, or it may give you excessive eye strain or headaches.
- Halo strap makes it more difficult to use custom audio drivers.
+ Halo strap seen as more comfortable by some.

Quest:
o Has superior contrast levels but less subpixels resulting in less sharp text.
+ Has a mobile SoC allowing untethered, standalone gameplay. Some games even have cross-buy between the mobile and PC stores.
- Only has 4 cameras for tracking resulting in more deadzones than the Rift S. Usually not an issue, though.
+ Can be used as a PC VR headset using a USB 3.0 cable at the expense of worse image quality compared to Rift S. Currently only officially works with NVIDIA GTX 1060 GPUs and above. AMD support spotty. USB 3.0 cables generally aren't as long as the Rift S cable leading to reliance on active extension cables, which may prevent the ability of the headset to keep its battery charged while playing.
+ Mechanical IPD slider allows 58-72mm range, resulting in a sharper picture and less eye related issues.
- Front heavy which results in people modifying their setup to add counterweights and whatnot.

This summary should be in the OP.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm not near typical. My wife has stopped asking me, "Why are you taking that apart? You just bought it.", and just sighs now.

I've been a little obsessed with VR since I was a kid, so there was no holding back once it came into a price range I could justify to myself, but I'm also very prone to motion sickness. I spent about 2 minutes in Subnautica and had to go lie down and chew candied ginger. I'll probably keep slapping together things to try and improve the experience until the market provides a really solid solution...that I can then figure out how to copy on the cheap.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ordered a Quest. Just seems more in line with what I'm looking for.

I got a psvr back in the summer, but it just makes me want to play games with decent hand tracking.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Luneshot posted:

This summary should be in the OP.

With the caveat that Index beats the pants off both, but at a much higher price point.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

-good summary-

It's also noteworthy that the Quest is great for watching stuff and shitposting in bed using Virtual Desktop, which I'm doing right now

(using this keyboard https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014EUQOGK which is fantastic)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Clitch posted:

I'm not near typical. My wife has stopped asking me, "Why are you taking that apart? You just bought it.", and just sighs now.

I've been a little obsessed with VR since I was a kid, so there was no holding back once it came into a price range I could justify to myself, but I'm also very prone to motion sickness. I spent about 2 minutes in Subnautica and had to go lie down and chew candied ginger. I'll probably keep slapping together things to try and improve the experience until the market provides a really solid solution...that I can then figure out how to copy on the cheap.

In the future, the last thing you want to do is try and "power through" feeling motion sick. All you'll do is make yourself sick as a dog and form connections in your brain between vr and getting sick. When you start to feel motion sick, best thing is just to stop there, take a break, and come back to it later. Thats going to be the best way to build up tolerance. Also Subnautica is noooot exactly a great example of a game with comfort in mind, so you might want to get used to it more on games with more comfort options, hand directed steering, snap turning, vignetting, and such.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Fuzz posted:

With the caveat that Index beats the pants off both, but at a much higher price point.

Index still has lesser IPD range and I personally like the Oculus touch controllers better than the knuckles. Index is definitely not the best solution for everyone, though it may be for many.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

... Also Subnautica is noooot exactly a great example of a game with comfort in mind, so you might want to get used to it more on games with more comfort options, hand directed steering, snap turning, vignetting, and such.

Subnatica is one of the worst. It's designed for game-pad pancake and they added VR rendering. On SteamVR it doesn't even render the skybox for one of the eyes (so it's basically playable on Oculus only).

It will move you really fast and often puts you head in the floor/impossible places. Also be careful with VR if you feel sick stop, most games have a teleport option, stick movement is not needed for nearly any game.

You'll hear people make fun of using teleport but just think of it like the stupidity of Chevy v Ford.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lemming posted:

It's also noteworthy that the Quest is great for watching stuff and shitposting in bed using Virtual Desktop, which I'm doing right now

(using this keyboard https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014EUQOGK which is fantastic)

Agreed, the Quest is one of the best devices to use when you can't get out of bed/need to sit with someone for an extended time period. It really is super useful (even works in the dark now) in untethered mode.

I did something stupid and tried to surf as a newbie in high tide at a hard beach for an hour (basically just got thrown around stressing my arms for an hour). By the time I got back my entire body hurt so bad I couldn't even hardly do anything but make pained noises/curse. I played on Thumper on Quest and sat and played for an hour forgetting about the pain and got through it. VR as pain management is really spectacular.

Nothing else short of pain killers would have gotten me through it with that much reduction in discomfort.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So when the gently caress is the Oculus Link releasing?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

sigher posted:

So when the gently caress is the Oculus Link releasing?

Do you mean their specific cable, or the software? Because the oculus link software is already available, has been for a couple weeks (though its still in beta) and you can use any USB 3 cable thats to spec for it. If you mean their specific cable, then... dunno.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wasn't the cable supposed to release with the software or did I end up reading that wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

sigher posted:

Wasn't the cable supposed to release with the software or did I end up reading that wrong?

They released the software first since its still in beta so people can begin playing with it. The cable is supposed to be coming out this year, so sometime this month unless it slips, though they said initially it will be sold in fewer regions until they ramp up production of them I guess.

This is the cable oculus was recommending until theirs launches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZIPYPY/

and already a company is selling a specific cable for the quest with the 90 degree bend: https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Transfer-Charging-Adaptor-Certified/dp/B07YLS96M7/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=PartyLink&qid=1575449432&sr=8-1