Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cascadia Pirate posted:

I am switching two lines from a post paid to prepaid. Is it easiest to just go into the verizon store or call to do this? I tried doing it online and I got to check out but it would not let me because I already have a Verizon number.

Call it in, the stores will not want to help you with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
I'm on a business plan and I'm curious about converting it back to a "retail" account.

After this year's Black Friday deals I was looking into taking advantage of the Best Buy deals going on, but it turns out they can't service business accounts. Are my only options of buying discounted phones are the unlocked versions? Or are there any retailers that will service business accounts?

I need to run the numbers to see if converting the plan back to a "family shared" would be comparable to what I'm paying now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Congobongo posted:

I'm on a business plan and I'm curious about converting it back to a "retail" account.

After this year's Black Friday deals I was looking into taking advantage of the Best Buy deals going on, but it turns out they can't service business accounts. Are my only options of buying discounted phones are the unlocked versions? Or are there any retailers that will service business accounts?

I need to run the numbers to see if converting the plan back to a "family shared" would be comparable to what I'm paying now.

Yeah, business accounts can only be serviced by corporate and indirect Verizon stores.

That said, usually business plans are way better monthly (plus waived fees, etc) so like, it’s normally an very good idea to be on a business plan even if you don’t get some of the mega Best Buy or Walmart deals.

Feel free to post how many phones/devices you have and I can get you a run down.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
We have 4 lines and an unlimited data plan, I think our monthly fee is around 220 a month.

Thanks for the advice!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Congobongo posted:

We have 4 lines and an unlimited data plan, I think our monthly fee is around 220 a month.

Thanks for the advice!

The plans are close, but honestly, I really always recommend business accounts because you can get a bit of red carpet treatment if poo poo ever goes wrong, waived fees, etc.

The consumer plans can be the same rate , but only if you do auto pay with a checking account.

FYI there are now 2 bus unlimited plans:
Business Essentials: $35 a line, equivalent to start unlimited, so you can be throttled in a busy tower. Includes 3G hotspot

Business Unlimited: $45 a line, equivalent to play unlimited, 22GB priority data, 15GB of hotspot

You can mix and match what lines get what plans.

Business plans now get military discounts if you were ever in the military.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

Business plans now get military discounts if you were ever in the military.

My roommate is on my plan and has a military ID card, can we get a discount? Or does it have to be the main account holder?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

My roommate is on my plan and has a military ID card, can we get a discount? Or does it have to be the main account holder?

You have to add him on as a Point of Contact and then you are good.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Crossposting from the Android thread:
My 25 day old Pixel 4 XL just completely stopped validating that I had a SIM card inserted, then after rebooting a couple times and removing and reinserting the SIM it registered on Verizon as my service provider, but was showing me not having any reception with an X on the signal indicator (I normally have great signal where I'm at). Should I get my SIM replaced already, or is this indicative of another issue? The SIM was new when I got the phone as well.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

No harm in trying a SIM first. One of the only things going to the store is good for (unless Duckman is at your local store, obviously) instead of calling customer service.

If you try a new SIM and it still has the problem, then you can exercise the warranty and get a replacement on the way in the same visit.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It's working now, showing the normal reception and that I'm on LTE, so it may have just been a brief hiccup or something, but I'll try a SIM replacement anyway. Does Verizon charge for that? I know some carriers want like $25 for a new SIM card.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I would hope not, especially in-store, and you're experiencing an issue that could be caused by it.

If it's working ok now, it's possible it won't gently caress up again. But it's also electronics, so sometimes things will work periodically when they're broken.

This is why I told my wife to be hyper vigilant with her P3XL when we got them and not wait to address any problem immediately because once the warranty is up, you're hosed (her OG XL died after 16 months and we had to pay Google $145 to get an out-of-warranty customer service replacement). Fortunately, hers hosed up royally after only a few months and her replacement has been good since then.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

You have to add him on as a Point of Contact and then you are good.

Goddang! Awesome!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

No harm in trying a SIM first. One of the only things going to the store is good for (unless Duckman is at your local store, obviously) instead of calling customer service.

If you try a new SIM and it still has the problem, then you can exercise the warranty and get a replacement on the way in the same visit.

Thank you for the disclaimer good sir.

Branch Nvidian posted:

It's working now, showing the normal reception and that I'm on LTE, so it may have just been a brief hiccup or something, but I'll try a SIM replacement anyway. Does Verizon charge for that? I know some carriers want like $25 for a new SIM card.

You should still replace it. Corporate stores don’t charge for a SIM replacement, dealers do. Never go to a dealer.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Call it in, the stores will not want to help you with it.

I spent an hour on the phone Saturday getting switched from post to prepaid and at the end of the call they told me I should be getting an email and some texts confirming the change. I haven't got anything yet. Is it usually this much of a pain to switch?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cascadia Pirate posted:

I spent an hour on the phone Saturday getting switched from post to prepaid and at the end of the call they told me I should be getting an email and some texts confirming the change. I haven't got anything yet. Is it usually this much of a pain to switch?

Yeah, it’s usually annoying. It’s actually easy in store, but A. No one knows how to do it, and B. It’s not commissionable so unfortunately most people don’t want to help you do it anyway.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Verizon doesn't offer a bucket of data plan larger than 8gb right?

I currently have two smartphones, plus a dumbphone on a plan. I pay about $155 a month for this after my line access discount but before taxes. I have the old school unlimited data plan on one line and a 2gb plan on the other.

I'd like to replace the dumbphone with another iPhone, this would bring my cost down to $130/mo (potentially less with my discount). I''m assuming 8gb is enough data but if there's a larger plan available I might go with that.

On those plans, is the line access charge still $20 if I bring my own devices?

I'm assuming I'd need to go to a store to make that swap to the bucket of data plan since my plan is so ancient?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes on the $20 line fee.

There is a legend about a 12GB plan still existing, but I wouldn’t count on it.

For info, if you decide on the 8GB plan and it doesn’t quite cut it occasionally, instead of paying the overage of $15/GB, you can buy a $10 1GB “gift” and give it to yourself.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I went through my entire bill history and 8gb would have been plenty (I guess I've been overspending on unlimited data) - we never had a month where the two lines went over 5gb usage. Generally its closer to 3-4gb usage.

I'd feel better about a 12gb data pool if it were available but we can probably deal with 8gb most of the time. Still cheaper than 3x55 for Play Unlimited.

How do discounts work on the bucket plans? Applied towards the line access fees but not the base plan price?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Other way around. Discount on the data bucket but not on the $20 fees.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LordOfThePants posted:

Verizon doesn't offer a bucket of data plan larger than 8gb right?

I currently have two smartphones, plus a dumbphone on a plan. I pay about $155 a month for this after my line access discount but before taxes. I have the old school unlimited data plan on one line and a 2gb plan on the other.

I'd like to replace the dumbphone with another iPhone, this would bring my cost down to $130/mo (potentially less with my discount). I''m assuming 8gb is enough data but if there's a larger plan available I might go with that.

On those plans, is the line access charge still $20 if I bring my own devices?

I'm assuming I'd need to go to a store to make that swap to the bucket of data plan since my plan is so ancient?

I mean, you could probably switch it either online or call it in. The plan change may have to be future dated, sometimes you can’t backdate from a Nationwide plan.

Others have pretty much answered already, but the 8GB plan works like so:

$70 base (work discount applies here)
$20 * # of lines

Only other two questions:
-Anyone in military ?
-Do you own your own business

If no to those two, yeah 8GB is cheaper.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes on the $20 line fee.

There is a legend about a 12GB plan still existing, but I wouldn’t count on it.

For info, if you decide on the 8GB plan and it doesn’t quite cut it occasionally, instead of paying the overage of $15/GB, you can buy a $10 1GB “gift” and give it to yourself.

The 12GB plan is dead dead dead. That said, sometimes if you already have the 4 or 8GB plan the system will offer the $90 16GB plan. Varies by account.

nashona
May 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Would the work discount work on the 16GB plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nashona posted:

Would the work discount work on the 16GB plan?

Yes.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Any idea how 5g will work with prepaid? Seems like 2020 phones will have a 5g radio in them, just curious

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

Any idea how 5g will work with prepaid? Seems like 2020 phones will have a 5g radio in them, just curious

They’ll eventually add 5G options, but prepaid is probably at the very bottom of the list.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

-Do you own your own business

I do have a business I could use. I was actually considering doing a Business Unlimited plan at one point, but it would require me to add a line since I only have three lines now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LordOfThePants posted:

I do have a business I could use. I was actually considering doing a Business Unlimited plan at one point, but it would require me to add a line since I only have three lines now.

You can do this:

3 lines SMB unlimited :

$45 * 3 = $135
“One talk native dialer”: $15. No equipment or contract, counts as a line

Total: $150 for unlimited data.

Let me know if you have questions and such.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Am I crazy, or did you used to be able to get a $10 discount just by going paperless and enabling auto-pay?

Looks like at some point that changed so that you have to enable auto-pay AND use a debit card to pay the bill?

This sucks because I like to pay with my credit card to get phone insurance in lieu of buying AppleCare, but now it seems like doing this is basically costing me $10/month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Am I crazy, or did you used to be able to get a $10 discount just by going paperless and enabling auto-pay?

Looks like at some point that changed so that you have to enable auto-pay AND use a debit card to pay the bill?

This sucks because I like to pay with my credit card to get phone insurance in lieu of buying AppleCare, but now it seems like doing this is basically costing me $10/month.

It’s always been with checking / debit card. Credit cards won’t qualify for the discount and never did. If you got lucky and the system accidentally gave the discount, great, but unfortunately it doesn’t qualify.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

If I call loyalty and tell them my wife and daughter are leaving for Sprint's free iPhone 11 promo will they match our come close?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

If I call loyalty and tell them my wife and daughter are leaving for Sprint's free iPhone 11 promo will they match our come close?

You can always try. What’s the promo ?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Duckman2008 posted:

You can always try. What’s the promo ?

Free iPhone with trade in

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

Free iPhone with trade in

Call loyalty and ask. I doubt they’ll match though.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Call loyalty and ask. I doubt they’ll match though.

I just want some sort of deal on a couple iPhones, that's it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

If I gotta mail my phone in to get a screen replacement done, can I switch the Sim card back into my old phone to use that while I wait or am I gonna be without a phone for a week?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
My brother's looking for a Pixel 3a XL next time they go on sale. Is there somewhere like camelcamelcamel that I can have give him an email when it goes on sale somewhere?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Robviously posted:

If I gotta mail my phone in to get a screen replacement done, can I switch the Sim card back into my old phone to use that while I wait or am I gonna be without a phone for a week?

I assume you have insurance ? If so, they either send someone to you or send you to an authorized you break I fix location.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Duckman2008 posted:

I assume you have insurance ? If so, they either send someone to you or send you to an authorized you break I fix location.

There's nowhere in a 60 miles radius of me that does the repair and I don't feel like paying the 200$ for them to send a phone. Having someone come to me isn't even an option. :shrug:

Edit: Just got an email that they'll ship me out a phone for the screen replacement cost so :toot:

Robviously fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 3, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Any idea why we got a credit on our bill for the entire line access charges plus tax? Is this some sort of promotion in December or something?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Any idea why we got a credit on our bill for the entire line access charges plus tax? Is this some sort of promotion in December or something?

Heck if I know. Only if there was some system charge issue (I haven’t heard of any) or it could be a system error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah beats me. Our (shared data plan) charges have been constant and correct for four months. Things were really weird in July and August when we switched to unlimited briefly, but I remember thinking that all evened out in the end.