Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Makes me wonder if the previous generation's games will run better on the PS5 just by way of it having better/more capable hardware. That's another thing that sucks rear end about Stadia (lol) is that there's nothing YOU the consumer can do to make the game actually look or run better. If the game itself runs like poo poo for you on Stadia, it runs like poo poo for everybody. That era of gaming is over, even consoles are starting to take the PC method of incremental hardware improvements what with the PS4 Pro and BoneX and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That would depend on how similar the hardware is. If they can run natively instead of being sort-of emulated, like I think you need to do with PS1 games on a PS3? Then it would be iffy. If they run natively, then the stronger hardware should give you a straight increase in FPS, although it wouldn't actually look any better.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's likely to operate like the boost mode on PS4 Pro and what's happening on the XB1X, where games are still constrained however it's hard-coded (e.g. a 30fps game will still only run at 30fps) but frame drops and the like will be reduced or eliminated.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Makes me wonder if the previous generation's games will run better on the PS5 just by way of it having better/more capable hardware. That's another thing that sucks rear end about Stadia (lol) is that there's nothing YOU the consumer can do to make the game actually look or run better. If the game itself runs like poo poo for you on Stadia, it runs like poo poo for everybody. That era of gaming is over, even consoles are starting to take the PC method of incremental hardware improvements what with the PS4 Pro and BoneX and such.
I'm sure they'll be some games that have hiccups in that transition, but the architecture is staying the same so there shouldn't be crazy issues (like trying to get PS3 games running on a PS4)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

univbee posted:

It's likely to operate like the boost mode on PS4 Pro and what's happening on the XB1X, where games are still constrained however it's hard-coded (e.g. a 30fps game will still only run at 30fps) but frame drops and the like will be reduced or eliminated.
Yeah, that's likely. Too many console games are hard-coded to need certain framerates to function properly, if anyone remembers that whole thing with the Dark Souls 1 port flipping its poo poo if you played it at 60FPS at launch.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I wonder if i'm on apostle's ignore list or if he's just an abject coward who won't debate me

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

30 FPS is also friendly with weak CPU's and sloppy coding, where 60 literally is less room for errors

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I find it telling that the major value proposition in the Stadia ads is that it doesn't take up any space, as if that was a major issue with home entertainment systems in the last 20 years. They have really nothing else to sell it on (they could say play anywhere...except it doesn't work on non Pixels).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tei posted:

30 FPS is also friendly with weak CPU's and sloppy coding, where 60 literally is less room for errors
How so? I've never developed a game, but I'm a fairly decent programmer and I'm not sure how throttling your game to 30 FPS would make it more tolerant of bad coding. Are you just talking about it in performance/code efficiency terms?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hey Google, you know what also doesn't take up space? That's right digital PS4 games. And they don't cost full price plus a sub to get 4K.

That business model is so hosed up it might just work. Enough suckers out there.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

UnknownTarget posted:

I find it telling that the major value proposition in the Stadia ads is that it doesn't take up any space, as if that was a major issue with home entertainment systems in the last 20 years. They have really nothing else to sell it on (they could say play anywhere...except it doesn't work on non Pixels).

I think you'll find the selling point is that you can play RDR2 in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro!

also more teraflops or something

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

How so? I've never developed a game, but I'm a fairly decent programmer and I'm not sure how throttling your game to 30 FPS would make it more tolerant of bad coding. Are you just talking about it in performance/code efficiency terms?

my no-expert understanding of it is like this:

with 60 you have 1/60 of a second to finish things like physics or netcode updates, is a tiny windows to fit a lot of things that must be finished by that time. with 1/30 the window is much wider so if the code is slopy and physics updates takes more time, it still withing the window

running a thing only 30 times / second is way less stresfull on the CPU than doing it 60 times / second

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

UnknownTarget posted:

Their messaging has been all over the place and generally awful ever since this thing was announced, so it's not a surprise that their defenders online don't really know what they're trying to defend.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tei posted:

my no-expert understanding of it is like this:

with 60 you have 1/60 of a second to finish things like physics or netcode updates, is a tiny windows to fit a lot of things that must be finished by that time. with 1/30 the window is much wider so if the code is slopy and physics updates takes more time, it still withing the window

running a thing only 30 times / second is way less stresfull on the CPU than doing it 60 times / second
Ah, alright. I thought you literally meant that it makes the software more tolerant of computation or physics errors somehow, which sounded like nonsense to me. Yeah, if you are bad at writing fast code, throttling the framerate is one way you can make up for it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Stadia is for people who like defending brands online more than playing videogames

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think you'll find the selling point is that you can play RDR2 in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro!

also more teraflops or something

Plus you get input lag and a more expensive bandwidth plan on top. Genius!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

Count me as the idiot who spend $129 on a $70 chromecast ultra and a $70 controller to play RDR2 (which I have not played yet) in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro which I don't have.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Stadia really comes with 3 months of pro, so it really comes with 6 free games.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Actual 4K 60fps is the best phrase ever uttered by man.

Upscaled 1440p 50s fps, ran straight through compression so bad it looks like youtube's gaping anus would be accurate but probably harder to market.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tei posted:

Stadia really comes with 3 months of pro, so it really comes with 6 free games.

Not necessarily. They've given 2 free games per month so far as an initial bonus, but according to Google, it will eventually be approximately one game a month, "give or take."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a tick rate for all of the actions and 60fps will increase how things need to be calculated.

With the original Dark Souls, a lot of the collision detection only worked right at 30fps, so running the game at 60 had you falling through things and fun stuff like that.

Incidentally one of the fairly common ways of bumping performance in modern games is to make objects which are further away operate at a lower framerate and just not demand as many resources.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not necessarily. They've given 2 free games per month so far as an initial bonus, but according to Google, it will eventually be approximately one game a month, "give or take."

Lets find a compromise here... . Fouuuuuuuthhhffiiiiiiiiiiiiive-ish? 4.5 free games?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you're going to start calling games you get with a paid subscription free then PS+/GWG/GP offer hundreds of free games per month.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Some months they'll give you one game, some months they'll take one away :downsrim:

In other news Microsoft has decided they're going to have a cheap next-gen Xbox after all - graphically about on par with the current ones, supposedly, and no disc drive. Of course neither of those flaws matter if you just want to get xCloud and Game Pass on your TV, but since it's an actual console it'll still work offline.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

American McGay posted:

If you're going to start calling games you get with a paid subscription free then PS+/GWG/GP offer hundreds of free games per month.

Also if you count the hundreds of F2P games like Fortnite, Warframe, LoL, etc., EVERYONE has hundreds of free games per month!

*Unless you have Stadia as no F2P game except for Destiny 2 is on Stadia, and you have to pay for their version.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

univbee posted:

Hell, the Wii will probably get Just Dance titles beyond when Stadia does.

I was floored to see Just Dance 2020 on Wii while out futzing around on Black Friday.

Just Dance on Wii might just out last us all, let alone Stadia.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I fully expect the PS4 to continue to get new releases well into the next generation as well. You're not just gonna abandon a 120m+ install base. The argument that a PS4 is eol and will be a useless brick of silicone in a year is pretty disingenuous.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

univbee posted:

There's a tick rate for all of the actions and 60fps will increase how things need to be calculated.

With the original Dark Souls, a lot of the collision detection only worked right at 30fps, so running the game at 60 had you falling through things and fun stuff like that.

Incidentally one of the fairly common ways of bumping performance in modern games is to make objects which are further away operate at a lower framerate and just not demand as many resources.

How does that work? What's it called?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

American McGay posted:

PSN gives free games every month, yes. This month was Titanfall 2 and Monster Energy Supercross.

Stadia two free games this month are Tomb Raider and Farm Simulator 19 Deluxe.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

American McGay posted:

I fully expect the PS4 to continue to get new releases well into the next generation as well. You're not just gonna abandon a 120m+ install base. The argument that a PS4 is eol and will be a useless brick of silicone in a year is pretty disingenuous.

Especially if the PS5 is backwards compatible - I wonder if devs will do some PS4 games that are enhanced on the PS5 - sort of like how some GBC games had special functions on the GBA, or how some GB games did special things on the Super GameBoy or the GBC.

Imagine, we can finally have the experience of playing the GB version of Space Invaders on the Super GameBoy and unlocking a SNES game in the next generation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

UnknownTarget posted:

Not sure there's a special name for it, but you've probably seen it before. Ever pay attention to how NPCs that are far away in modern games tend to move jerkily, in sudden changes of position rather than smooth movements? Well, basically, the game doesn't draw every change in position but rather only calculates where the character should be and outputs a new position every 10 or 20 frames instead of every frame. It simplifies the animation process massively because the entire character doesn't have to be redrawn every frame, so that's CPU/GPU time that is available for things that are up close and noticeable to you.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

UnknownTarget posted:

it's called optimization!

Like how you have LOD levels to swap models in and out when they are further away - physics enabled objects could tick over at 1fps checking to see if anything that could affect it is closer than a set distance, then once it is it ticks over at 5fps until something is really close, then hits full speed just before it gets whacked.

I also cant remember the game it was, but I played something where if you threw an object towards a light then turn around to look away, you'd see the objects shadow update fps drop to one in every 5.

edit: also as above - keyframed animated objects far away can use lower detail animations with a lot less data in.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tei posted:

PSN gives free games every month, yes. This month was Titanfall 2 and Monster Energy Supercross.

Stadia two free games this month are Tomb Raider and Farm Simulator 19 Deluxe.

Stadia won't have 2 per month normally, per Google. It'll be ~1 a month with no set schedule.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cemetry Gator posted:

Especially if the PS5 is backwards compatible - I wonder if devs will do some PS4 games that are enhanced on the PS5 - sort of like how some GBC games had special functions on the GBA, or how some GB games did special things on the Super GameBoy or the GBC.

Imagine, we can finally have the experience of playing the GB version of Space Invaders on the Super GameBoy and unlocking a SNES game in the next generation.

Oh, I'm sure they will. Fucktons of PS3 games got remastered/enhanced versions on PS4 so the market for last-gen games must still be huge.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Stadia won't have 2 per month normally, per Google. It'll be ~1 a month with no set schedule.

yea, I saw you posted about it before

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I've never considered the free games I got with PS+ something I "own"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PS+ is a poo poo value proposition now they've dropped PS3 and Vita games, and it wasn't good before (unless, unlike me, you're into all the shootymans)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

American McGay posted:

Hell, PS2 was getting games all the way to 2014, and only ceased production in 2013. Japan still had official PS2 repair service until 2018!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

gschmidl posted:

PS+ is a poo poo value proposition now they've dropped PS3 and Vita games, and it wasn't good before (unless, unlike me, you're into all the shootymans)

Yeah I let mine lapse since it's been pretty bad recently, although you can get an annual subscription really cheap if you wait for the sales. Right now the only subscription that's worth it to me is Microsoft's PC Game Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

To be fair, the PS2 was a landmark product and way more successful than either the PS3 or the PS4, to the tune of twice as many games released despite a shorter official life cycle than the PS3 had by about two years.