Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Now that's a sexy Thom.

oops for the new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

Now that's a sexy Thom.

oops for the new page

Yeah, I can buy that guy as Thom if he can sport the big ol mustaches

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm glad they're not dropping any of those characters because I can't imagine the series with Thom or Fain.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
GIS for Johann Myers has a snaggle tooth wide grin pic that is absolutely loving perfect.

Older Michael Fassbender is certainly a look I wasn't expecting for Thom, though. But it works.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Dude has the perfect eyes to be Padan Fain.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
They're casting younger than I'd expected for Thom, but I think he'll be fine with a big old moustache.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If Thom isn't somersaulting and backflipping like a motherfucker for the first half of the first season then #notmythom

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thom doesn't really need to be ancient, just weathered.

I have to say, the casting tweets are pretty amazing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

GIS for Johann Myers has a snaggle tooth wide grin pic that is absolutely loving perfect.

Oh wow, yeah. His professional headshot made me think "Huh, okay, that could work." (This is my reaction so far to basically all the actors revealed.) Then I pull up this

and I can see him as Fain perfectly.

fake edit:

How are u posted:

If Thom isn't somersaulting and backflipping like a motherfucker for the first half of the first season then #notmythom
:same:
I'm looking forward to his cloak.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Yeah the general response has been positive, i dont know much of any of these actors but aesthetically they seem spot on or close

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
So we're still waiting on casting for Min, Elayne, and Ishamael for the major characters from Eye of the World, right? Anyone else I'm forgetting? Elyas is really a secondary character but he's important to Perrins story so I imagine he will also show up at some point. Verin doesn't appear until The Great Hunt, correct?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That Fadan Pain casting is perfect. All the others are great too, especially Logain.

Curious to see what they do with Loial, wonder if they'll do heavy on the makeup or utilize a lot of CGI.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'd guess Loial is gonna be prosthetics-town all the way. I wonder how large that guy is, because Ogier are big boys.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

So we're still waiting on casting for Min, Elayne, and Ishamael for the major characters from Eye of the World, right? Anyone else I'm forgetting? Elyas is really a secondary character but he's important to Perrins story so I imagine he will also show up at some point. Verin doesn't appear until The Great Hunt, correct?

Verin shows up with the Amyrlin's delegation to Fal Dara, yeah.

Gawyn, Elaida, and Morgase, are major recurring characters we should see cast. Galad might not show up until Elayne arrives at Tar Valon?

The rest of the major characters are like, the chump Forsaken and various smaller parts. Maybe an early intro to Masema and Uno?

(Sean Bean for Geofram Bornhald please)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 4, 2019

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How are u posted:

I'd guess Loial is gonna be prosthetics-town all the way. I wonder how large that guy is, because Ogier are big boys.
if he's not 10 feet tall he's #notmyloial

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Verin shows up with the Amyrlin's delegation to Fal Dara, yeah.

Gawyn, Elaida, and Morgase, are major recurring characters we should see cast. Galad might not show up until Elayne arrives at Tar Valon?

The rest of the major characters are like, the chump Forsaken and various smaller parts. Maybe an early intro to Masema and Uno?

Galad immediately snitches on Elayne for "entertaining" Rand in her garden when he falls into it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I am still holding out hope for Billy Zane as Ishamael, not gonna lie.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

bloom posted:

I have a feeling they'll make Thom younger than he is in the books.
:smug:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am still holding out hope for Billy Zane as Ishamael, not gonna lie.

Same tbh. He was the one good thing about Winter Dragon

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that guy cast as Thom looks way too serious in practically every image i can find

on the other hand, he'll bring a real Hot Dad energy to the role that will play well in tyool 2020

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Dude has a good voice for Thom. Cant find it now but someone posted a pic of him with facial hair, definitely looks old enough to me

Glad it’s not Sam Elliot like all the borings wanted.

https://vimeo.com/149956339

he doesn't really show it but you can hear the reserves of Bass

Brolander fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 4, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well those all look pretty loving great

I never bought the idea that they were cutting Thom, he is just too central a character

Edit: Hammed definitely has the voice for Loial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqmldoa94o0

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 4, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, after 3 years and 3 months, I finally finished the series today. Read the first 3-4, and listened to the rest on audiobook during my work commute. It feels super weird to be done with it.

Random thoughts:
- The last battle was loving awesome and I can't wait to see that on TV, assuming it doesn't get canceled halfway through. I feel like this has to easily trump Helm's Deep or anything GOT did. There's SO much fighting that went on and the scale was insane.
- Lan was a badass.
- Gawyn's fight with the Seanchan rings seemed kind of a wet fart. I thought it would have been a great ending for him if he would have killed Demandred, then died. Instead, he just takes a sword to the gut or something and dies.
- Mat is easily one of my favorite characters. The funny, lucky gambler man who just wants to drink, gently caress and play dice, stumbles his way upward despite not wanting to and ends up one of the most powerful people in the Seanchan empire.
- I audibly yelled WHAT THE gently caress in my car when Fain's fog stabbed and "killed" him in front of Perrin. I had to rewind it just to make sure I heard what I heard. I think he was the first character I was upset with dying just because I enjoyed him so much.
- Mat's letter to Elayne was loving hilarious.
- Padan Fain was a cool character and I can't wait to see him in the show just randomly popping up and causing chaos. It's weird to go back to EotW and think "huh this peddler (or whatever he was) that visits the Two Rivers ends up loving a bunch of random poo poo up and ends up being a stabby cloud of fog in the last battle."
- Still don't really like Nynaeve. Sure, she had some cool scenes during the cleansing and the last battle, but overall, her character was really grating.
- I think it's kind of cheesy that Aviendha lived after her battle with
- The foresaken kind of mostly blended together to me throughout the books. I could never remember who did what since they weren't focused on too much. Like, I remember Asmodean (where the hell did he go? He didn't die, right?) for being with Rand for a while, Moghedien for being captive for a while then showing up at the end, Graendal for her battle with Aviendha, and Semirhage for zapping Rand's hand off. It'll be funny if I didn't match all of those names up correctly. Other than that, they were all just a big blend and could have been replaced with $FORESAKEN_OF_THE_DAY. Maybe if there were less, and each one got more pages? I dunno, I just had a hard time keeping them straight, with a few exceptions. Looking at the list of the foresaken on the WoT wiki, I couldn't tell you a single thing about Sammael, Aginor, Balthamel, or Be'lal. I either just straight up don't remember the names at all, or just can't remember who did what.
- Similarly, there are 2,782 loving named characters in this book. It was so hard keeping all of them straight. A lot of them would be mentioned in passing in one book, then 4 books later they have a small storyline and I don't know what I was supposed to remember about them. This is especially true for the Aes Sedai. There's so many random ones that have meaningless conversations that I could never keep straight.
- So is Rand's ending him driving his boat into a hurricane then loving off to become a lumberjack?

- Sanderson did an amazing job with the last 3 books.
- I'm super pumped for the show to air in 2028.

When I first read EotW, I was so loving confused by the Prologue. Now that I'm done, I definitely want to go back and re-read it now that it'll make much more sense.

Welp, that's it I suppose. Amazing series that ended up overcoming 5ish garbage books in the middle. It's wild that I've been going through the series for over 3 years now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Triple role as Be'lal, Turak, and Geofram

minema
May 31, 2011
I didn't know Dave Hill of GoT infamy was a writer on this show, hopefully he will do a better job that he did on there :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Welp, after 3 years and 3 months, I finally finished the series today. Read the first 3-4, and listened to the rest on audiobook during my work commute. It feels super weird to be done with it.

Random thoughts:
- The foresaken kind of mostly blended together to me throughout the books. I could never remember who did what since they weren't focused on too much. Like, I remember Asmodean (where the hell did he go? He didn't die, right?) for being with Rand for a while, Moghedien for being captive for a while then showing up at the end, Graendal for her battle with Aviendha, and Semirhage for zapping Rand's hand off. It'll be funny if I didn't match all of those names up correctly. Other than that, they were all just a big blend and could have been replaced with $FORESAKEN_OF_THE_DAY. Maybe if there were less, and each one got more pages? I dunno, I just had a hard time keeping them straight, with a few exceptions. Looking at the list of the foresaken on the WoT wiki, I couldn't tell you a single thing about Sammael, Aginor, Balthamel, or Be'lal. I either just straight up don't remember the names at all, or just can't remember who did what.

Well, some of them are not memorable because they only appear in the climax of book 1, only to immediately die (Aginor and Belthamel). Then they get reincarnated by the Dark One into Aran'gar and Osan'gar (Left Dagger and Right Dagger respectively), but that specific fact was easy to miss if one didn't pay close attention. It's never directly stated in the books, but it's pretty clear when they take part in one of the Forsaken gatherings. I think Aginor becomes Aran'gar, and Belthamel Osan'gar, but I'm too lazy to check. Osan'gar then masquerades as one of the three Asha'man that accompany Rand for a few books, and he does... nothing. Absolutely nothing, until he gets killed by Verin in the Cleansing. Aran'gar poses as Halima, and basically oversees the rebel Aes Sedai, and tries meddles a bit without any real consequences. She then gets killed when Rand tries to off Graendal in book 12.

Be'lal is even worse, since he just appeared at the end of The Shadow Rising to have a mini-fight with Rand over Callandor, only to be shot in the back with Baelfire by Moiraine. And since he was killed by Baelfire, the Dark One couldn't reincarnate him.

Sammael was the guy who ruled Illian, and he had this sort of fight with Rand in Shadar Logoth. He wasn't that important.

By the way, Graendal kills Asmodean in book 5.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Random thoughts:

Regarding Asmodean - it's implied but never 100% confirmed (I think) that Graendal kills him after the Camelyn showdown with Raevin, in order to punish him for his shifting loyalties, deny Rand a competent teacher and knowledge source from the AoL, and to facilitate Rand's growing paranoia over betrayal/enemies hiding in the shadows, etc.

Also I need to get around to reading the last two books, for the big showdown if nothing else. I'm very glad to hear that Demandred's plotline was impactful overall, I always kinda thought it would either end in a wet fart offscreen or go in the direction that everyone suspected (Taim). He really was the wildcard that no one saw coming.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, yeah I forgot to mention that even without the 2800 characters, having a bunch of them change their names and play a dude who's playing a dude who's disguised as another dude made it even more confusing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

Graendal kills him after the Camelyn showdown with Raevin, in order to punish him for his shifting loyalties, deny Rand a competent teacher and knowledge source from the AoL, and to facilitate Rand's growing paranoia over betrayal/enemies hiding in the shadows, etc.

Or it was just a matter of him bumping into her while she was looking through whatever Rahvin may have stashed away. Random opportunity.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Thom actor has a legit moustache and beard in The Last Kingdom (in which he's a viking rear end in a top hat). I actually didn't recognize him clean shaven.

Loial actor is 6'3" so not tiny, but it's gonna be CGI/camera perspective shenanigans to make him look right. He's apparently a pretty decent physical comedy guy so hopefully that translates to the role in a good way - super large dude interacting with tiny furniture and table settings etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mat Cauthon posted:

Regarding Asmodean - it's implied but never 100% confirmed (I think) that Graendal kills him after the Camelyn showdown with Raevin, in order to punish him for his shifting loyalties, deny Rand a competent teacher and knowledge source from the AoL, and to facilitate Rand's growing paranoia over betrayal/enemies hiding in the shadows, etc.

Also I need to get around to reading the last two books, for the big showdown if nothing else. I'm very glad to hear that Demandred's plotline was impactful overall, I always kinda thought it would either end in a wet fart offscreen or go in the direction that everyone suspected (Taim). He really was the wildcard that no one saw coming.

Oh, you haven't read the last two books? No wonder you don't know that it's confirmed that Graendal kills Asmodean. In the loving Glossary of Towers of Midnight! :argh:
I'm still a little bit mad about that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember with Asmodean it was between Lanfear's reincarnation and Graendal on who killed him, but Graendal just says it outright in a Sanders book.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If you go back, Graendal thinks to herself about how she removed a bunch of Sammael's things after his death, so it makes sense that she would have also done the same with her ostensible ally Rahvin, putting her in the right place at the right time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

UltraRed posted:

I remember with Asmodean it was between Lanfear's reincarnation and Graendal on who killed him, but Graendal just says it outright in a Sanders book.

The problem with the Lanfear theory was always the lack of opportunity. Lanfear had JUST tumbled through the doorway to one of the 'finn-lands and the first round of reincarnations hadn't taken place until the prologue to the next book--and those were Forsaken who bit it all the way back in TEoTW. Moridin himself wasn't shown until book 7, and Cyndane isn't shown until book 8. The timing never would have worked.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
RJ had already confirmed that at least Moiraine got her three wishes, so fans speculated that Lanfear might have gotten hers, too. And used one to kill Asmodean. Some even thought Moiraine might have used one of hers to off him.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Or it was just a matter of him bumping into her while she was looking through whatever Rahvin may have stashed away. Random opportunity.

I mean, I think it could be both - crime of opportunity that aligned with the Dark One's goals anyway.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

I mean, I think it could be both - crime of opportunity that aligned with the Dark One's goals anyway.

This is how I always saw it. That, and she couldn't risk him telling Rand she was there.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

RJ had already confirmed that at least Moiraine got her three wishes, so fans speculated that Lanfear might have gotten hers, too. And used one to kill Asmodean. Some even thought Moiraine might have used one of hers to off him.

Did they ever say what moiraines wishes were?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Thom actor has a legit moustache and beard in The Last Kingdom (in which he's a viking rear end in a top hat). I actually didn't recognize him clean shaven.

Loial actor is 6'3" so not tiny, but it's gonna be CGI/camera perspective shenanigans to make him look right. He's apparently a pretty decent physical comedy guy so hopefully that translates to the role in a good way - super large dude interacting with tiny furniture and table settings etc.

as long as they give his coat Capacious Pockets!!!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Did they ever say what moiraines wishes were?

one was the angreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"Moiraine tried to put on a chastened face, as if she had endured one of the Amyrlin's infamous upbraidings but the expression was foreign to her. She looked more angry than anything else"

I do love this line ever so much.