Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I replaced my Pebble Time with a Vivoactive 3. Highly recommend if you're looking for something similar feature-wise with the long battery life. Also currently supported by a vendor haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm gonna hold course for now until breakage or best case scenario, WearOS redeeming itself from the current doldrums it finds itself in

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I'm trying to find a nice looking watch that allows for text notifications to be read on the watch. I'd love if I didn't have to charge it every day. I don't care about step tracking or heart rate or sports things.

I have a 5 year old Pebble Steel that finally died. Ideally I'd get a Pebble Time if that company still existed.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I love the way the Withings Steel HR looks, but I can't read the text notifications. I love the Amazfit Bip except it's so god drat ugly.

Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Someone on reddit figured out the Pebble Time + Pixel + Android 10 fast battery drain issue. Well, at least they found a workaround. Turning off battery optimization for Bluetooth seems to fix it and get the battery back to the old 6+ days of usage instead of 1+ like it was experiencing with this issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pebble/comments/dly41q/solution_pebble_battery_drain_og_pixel_android_10/

Time to put the martian notifier away and move back to the pebble time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Google keeps making Bluetooth terrible for everyone.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I really hope down the road once bluetooth has been out a few years that they finally figure it out.

ffs

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

codo27 posted:

I really hope down the road once bluetooth has been out a few years that they finally figure it out.

ffs

Bluetooth has been around for more than a few years already, but maybe the push to ditch the headphone jack will push them polish their implementation instead of leaving it half baked. Except y'know, it's Google.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It was sarcasm. My first flip I'm 2005 had bt. I looked it up, did you know it actually began its course to come to existence in 1989?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Google keeps making Bluetooth terrible for everyone.

Just wait until they buy Fitbit 😬

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Two companies terrible at BT. Does that mean it'll be twice as bad or half as bad?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

poo poo. I was set on the Mi Band 4 for the gf for christmas but the global version doesn't have NFC, so no payment options. I'm guessing there is nothing out there even close to that price point that can offer that is there?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of the Mi Band 4, before I hack the included charging cable up, is there a cheap replacement charging cable that doesn't require the band to be removed?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

How the hell do apps on the Samsung watches work (particularly with iOS)? I see theres an Outlook app now for the Samsung watches, does that only work with Android? Is the watch pulling data through the phones data connection, or are phone apps just pushing data to the phone or something?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My vivoactive 3's Bluetooth radio, gps and step counter have all stopped working at the same time. It'll still boot and tell the time, but is essentially a dumb watch

Did this after only two years of ownership. Really unimpressed.

What's the new hotness for smart watches?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

My vivoactive 3's Bluetooth radio, gps and step counter have all stopped working at the same time. It'll still boot and tell the time, but is essentially a dumb watch

Did this after only two years of ownership. Really unimpressed.

What's the new hotness for smart watches?

Do you want a fitness tracker thats also a mediocre smartwatch or a smartwatch thats also a mediocre fitness tracker?

Things seem a bit up in their air at the moment, but mainly the answer to what youre asking depends on whether youre using an iPhone or Android phone.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

Do you want a fitness tracker thats also a mediocre smartwatch or a smartwatch thats also a mediocre fitness tracker?

Things seem a bit up in their air at the moment, but mainly the answer to what youre asking depends on whether youre using an iPhone or Android phone.

I have an android phone.

I'd favor having a smart watch a bit over an amazing fitness tracker. I've heard good things about the new Samnsung one?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I love my Fitbit despite the issues but Ive so far avoided the Google ecosystem entirely. No GMail, no account on YT, etc. So now Im wondering what device to switch to. I really find value in the sleep tracking of the Fitbit, so honestly if Apple had that native Id probably just get one of those.

Any recommendations for an iPhone user then? A fitness band or tracker is fine, doesnt need to be a full smart watch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'd like to know how Samsung intends to proceed with the Galaxy Watch series. I'd like an actual successor to the 46mm Galaxy Watch, but improved heart rate sensor and poo poo like that. I recently found out that the model number of the GWA2 is above the GW (unlike the initial GWA), so that smells like it's supposed to be a successor. But Samsung doesn't spell anything out.

I'd be interested to go with Apple Watch, because at least Apple seems to be rather pro-active with this health stuff. Fitbit and most others are in a slumber, Samsung always only reacts. But a) Apple Watches don't do sleep tracking yet, and b) they still only advertise 18-24 hours, which doesn't help with a). And finally, hopping ecosystem is financially nonviable.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Chasiubao posted:

Any recommendations for an iPhone user then? A fitness band or tracker is fine, doesnt need to be a full smart watch.

Garmin stuff seems to be generally well-liked (I'm happy with mine, others have posted about theirs in the thread). Honestly I'm not sure if there's anyone in the non-iOS/Android wearables game worth mentioning besides Garmin and Fitbit these days.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
My Charge 3 Special Edition started failing yesterday just a couple weeks short of its 1yr warranty from Amazon UK. It had 3 vertical and one horizontal line completely stop turning on. Today it has about 6 vertical and 10+ horizontal lines not working.

Had to remind Amazon that it was still in warranty when speaking to them, originally they tried to offer me 13 off a new one... and I've just discovered they sent it to my old address instead of my default address.

I don't know what could have caused this, I've not been particularly rough on it, the screen is barely scratched and I only took it swimming twice in the year I've had it. It's been a nice piece of kit despite the supplied straps having mostly disintegrated now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Anyone had any luck getting the work profile notifications and calendars to show up on their Samsung watches. I can get the main accounts notifications but not the work ones

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

The Garmin 645 Music is half off today. $200 bucks.

According to camelcamelcamel, this is actually half off compared to its regular price instead of one of those "half off a price the thing never sells for anyway".

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

The Garmin 645 Music is half off today. $200 bucks.

According to camelcamelcamel, this is actually half off compared to its regular price instead of one of those "half off a price the thing never sells for anyway".

Pulled the trigger on this. Non-music is $200 and Music is $245. I got the Music version but I'm not sure I'll actually use that feature. I listen to podcasts when running like a weirdo. :shrug:

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Anyone taken a look at the Fossil Hybrid HR? Seems like it might be a contender to replace my Pebble Time Steel when it bites the dust, since I don't care so much about fitness tracking but do care about battery life and ability to read notifications.

caluki
Nov 12, 2000
I got a refurbished Galaxy Watch (42mm, LTE) from Amazon about a week ago. In general the battery life seems worse than what it's supposed to get -- currently on 74% and it says 18 hours remaining. It also charges pretty slowly and at one point it threw up an overheating message while sitting on the factory charger.

And I took it on a run and it went from 80% to almost dead in less than an hour. That included running Strava with GPS on and streaming music over 4G on Spotify, but I assume it should be able to handle that and this thing just has a faulty battery. Any reason for me to think otherwise?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No clue if something like these exist for the Galaxy Watch, but I really would like these apps for my watch, so I don't have to take out my phone:

-Shazam/Soundhound song detection
-Google Maps navigation directions
-Transit app next bus/train times, this one is a pipe dream probably

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Pebble had NextBus for a while, the dream could still be possible.

Those really are the main things I want as well, it's weird how sparse the options are for navigation apps in general on Tizen.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

caluki posted:

I got a refurbished Galaxy Watch (42mm, LTE) from Amazon about a week ago. In general the battery life seems worse than what it's supposed to get -- currently on 74% and it says 18 hours remaining. It also charges pretty slowly and at one point it threw up an overheating message while sitting on the factory charger.

And I took it on a run and it went from 80% to almost dead in less than an hour. That included running Strava with GPS on and streaming music over 4G on Spotify, but I assume it should be able to handle that and this thing just has a faulty battery. Any reason for me to think otherwise?

100% faulty. I get about 2 days of consistent usage with no AOD -- with AOD I'm still getting better battery life than that.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Another Galaxy question - I was away from home for a month and charged the watch from the back of my S10+. I swear it lost power every day at a much faster rate than using the proper charger, and without the intensive things I'd do normally - bluetooth, strava etc. Now I'm home and it feels like its back to a good level. Am I imagining this or were the numbers likely being fiddled to avoid overheating or something like that?

And give us Audible for Tizen you fucks

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Chubby Henparty posted:

Another Galaxy question - I was away from home for a month and charged the watch from the back of my S10+. I swear it lost power every day at a much faster rate than using the proper charger, and without the intensive things I'd do normally - bluetooth, strava etc. Now I'm home and it feels like its back to a good level. Am I imagining this or were the numbers likely being fiddled to avoid overheating or something like that?

And give us Audible for Tizen you fucks

It's certainly possible. Battery readings are based on electrical impedance, so even a battery that's not actually charged 100% can give off a reading that it is as long as the output says it should be. Since wireless charging can't charge as fast you're likely pulling it when the output says it's 100% but before it's actually fully charged.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is it normal for Galaxy watch faces to just turn on randomly during the night while charging? I'm super sensitive to light and currently up at 2am because it turned on. I even moved the charger to another room but unfortunately my only room has frosted glass walls.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Is there a good fitness tracker that's not a wristwatch? My Fitbit Flex 2 died on me, and Fitbit discontinued the model. Given the choice I'd like something I could wear on my shoulder or ankle, like the old BodyBugg.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh neat, with OneUI 1.5 on the Galaxy Watch (probably in conjunction with OneUI 2 on the phone), the music notification is sort of proxied to the watch. There's now a floating music note icon while listening to Spotify on the phone, and tapping it shows the title and playback controls on the watch, and it isn't the Spotify app on the watch.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

No clue if something like these exist for the Galaxy Watch, but I really would like these apps for my watch, so I don't have to take out my phone:

-Shazam/Soundhound song detection
-Google Maps navigation directions
-Transit app next bus/train times, this one is a pipe dream probably

For Google maps directions (walking, driving, and transit)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=smartwatchstudios.app.gears3navigation

And the companion app for the watch.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

IMJack posted:

Is there a good fitness tracker that's not a wristwatch? My Fitbit Flex 2 died on me, and Fitbit discontinued the model. Given the choice I'd like something I could wear on my shoulder or ankle, like the old BodyBugg.

You can get 3rd party clips that convert the Fitbit Inspire to that format. I'm not sure if there's any impact on accuracy, etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Picked up a cheap Galaxy Watch Active to replace my my much loved Apple Watch S2 after moving to an Android phone.

I'm really impressed for such a cheap and compact device. Battery life seems just as good as the AW when it's working properly (which since iOS 13 has been far from a given), the screen is small but looks great and most of the tracking stuff seems accurate (or at least as accurate as the Apple Watch). What really surprised me is how much faster everything is compared to the old S2, I know that's an old device now but even so it's a stark difference - absolutely no lag in the animations and what apps there are launch instantly.

Only two things to note so far
- sleep tracking is over sensitive - apparently I got a good hour of deep sleep yesterday evening lounging about on the couch watching YouTube
- there isn't a speaker. It actually took me a good few days to realise this as the Apple Watch spent its entire life on silent anyway but I guess this could be an issue if you wanted to take calls on it for some reason (not something I see a use case for)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

For Google maps directions (walking, driving, and transit)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=smartwatchstudios.app.gears3navigation

And the companion app for the watch.

Awesome, thank you!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any feedback on the Withings Scanwatch or Fossil Hybrid watches? I have a Series 2 Apple Watch right now that I'm considering swapping out for something more 'watch looking' as I'm not using 95% of the features on the AW. I am not sure if my reduced usage is because the S2 is slow and doesn't work ideally and if upgrading to a 5 (or future 6) would change my use case or not.

My use case is quickly turning into:

- Basic notifications (text, reminders, calendar notifications)
- Alarms (I like being woken up by my watch vibrating)
- Sleep tracking a plus
- Contactless payments (can lose this, but it's damned nice)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also looking for a recommendation. The year-old replacement battery on my second-gen Moto 360 is starting to die by mid-evening, and I don't really feel like replacing it again.

I'd like something that looks like a normal dress watch, does notifications, and had at least some level of face customization. I don't care about any fitness/heart tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its too bad the Hauwei watch 2 isn't a little more snappy, but as the ecosystem is still so primitive with few clear cut leaders, I cant recommend against it. I still get 40+ hours to a charge after 14 months or so