Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
Imagine if comedians from all directions were laughing and making fun of how super-seriously some people take themselves. You would think that might give those people a moment of introspection - but no - their cause du jour is off-limits, like every cunting puritan ever. Anything they don't like is fair game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also that Daria is right on time with her mom on picking up the phone when a substitute teacher is an obvious paedophile.

That scene's also great because substitute plotlines in shows usually feature that one cool substitute who "gets it" and isn't all stuffy like the other teachers and gives one-on-one attention so that you learn to care about History/English (Its never Science or Math). And in this show that cool substitute is super-obviously doing it to try to groom his students and is out the door before minute 5.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What if the one Jewish guy in the writers’ room is Stephen Miller?

You obviously need two Jewish writers to balance out any extreme self loathing. Also why you should never have only one Catholic on the creative team.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I really like the timing on that Daria scene, too. Somethinga bout the way it plays out gets me every time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pudding Space posted:

Imagine if comedians from all directions were laughing and making fun of how super-seriously some people take themselves. You would think that might give those people a moment of introspection - but no - their cause du jour is off-limits, like every cunting puritan ever. Anything they don't like is fair game though.

But that’s the lamest and easiest humor.

The very idea that we shouldn’t take things seriously is insanely stupid and for the most most comedians don’t agree with that. The idea that there are things that aren’t off limits never rings true even for South Park as an example

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

CharlestheHammer posted:

The very idea that we shouldn’t take things seriously is insanely stupid and for the most most comedians don’t agree with that. The idea that there are things that aren’t off limits never rings true even for South Park as an example

It's actually hilarious and perfect to 14year olds

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

For a project I’m working on - can anyone think of any old 1950’s/60’s tv episodes/scenes that feel particularly propaganda-y or otherwise bootlicky

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Calico Heart posted:

For a project I’m working on - can anyone think of any old 1950’s/60’s tv episodes/scenes that feel particularly propaganda-y or otherwise bootlicky

Dragnet was a treasure trove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy_lCjA6poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZo2hhvvlpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wri3CHjfQRM

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

There’s that Star Trek where Captain Kirk is disgusted by hippies and then the hippies take over the ship and die from their hypocritical attitude toward society.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WescottF1 posted:

Dragnet was a treasure trove.
It's funny how Dragnet is now framed as tackling the gritty post-war period. I guess a bunch of vets flooding back led to crimewaves and gangs and motorcycle toughs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not the right time period, but the Quincy punk episode

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

FilthyImp posted:

It's funny how Dragnet is now framed as tackling the gritty post-war period. I guess a bunch of vets flooding back led to crimewaves and gangs and motorcycle toughs.

Dragnet got surprisingly dark sometimes. Iirc one of the first episodes is about a guy who abducts and molests two kids.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Calico Heart posted:

you should probably look up old toy commercials

i remember there were some commercials for toy guns that got pretty iffy since they were selling the things, to like... 6 year olds (?), by framing it with the glories of war/national service

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Calico Heart posted:

In addition to the hippie episode mentioned, there's also the episode of Star Trek where the good guys beat the Savage communists using the flag and constitution of the United States.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ack-chewally, that ep had the Americans (Yangs) as savages and the Chinese (Cohms) as fairly peaceful agrarians who were being slaughtered. After being taken by the Yang leader, Kirk tells them that "We, the people" means everybody, including the Cohms. And stop being dicks.

Yes, yes, trap sprung.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Casey Finnigan posted:

Either way, the South Park guys have this take: the attitudes of certain kinds of car-drivers are annoying enough that it merits producing an entire episode of a TV show about it, but people who are upset at our racism are just oversensitive fools. Another example would be the time they were so incensed by Family Guy's existence that they had to make a whole episode about how it sucks (it does suck, but South Park is not really much better). Or when they named an episode "Roger Ebert needs to lay off the fatty foods" after he gave a bad review to their dogshit movie BASEketball, which they admit is a lovely movie. Sure, they're nihilists, about things that don't impact them at all, but seriously - most of their show is Parker and Stone being given an enormous platform to air petty grievances.

I think the problem is that Parker and Stone most likely really were bothered by smug hybrid drivers, enough to make an episode about it. I know that after that episode came out, I knew a hell of a lot more anti-hybrid people who made jokes about "smug pollution" than pro-hybrid people who said "well look, the preachy kid at the end of the episode says they're good, so they're good." Kyle is always right, sure, but it's not like he's the fan favorite.
It's the "do not commit the cool crime of stealing" effect.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Even in the context of its time "people die in car accidents so you can't be upset about kids getting drafted to Vietnam" is still one hell of a bizarre take.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They’re still better than today’s conservatives because they acknowledge that the holocaust happened. It is interesting that their criticisms of these boomers is identical to the boomer criticisms of the zoomers.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
That said, the lost/greatest generation were absolutely correct in their condemnation of the Baby Boomers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, they were right to hate them. Everyone is right to hate them, which is why everyone does.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There’s that Star Trek where Captain Kirk is disgusted by hippies and then the hippies take over the ship and die from their hypocritical attitude toward society.

hm, yes, that one seems really far-fetched

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The funny part is that Spock gets along with them fine and even joins in the jam session.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny part is that Spock gets along with them fine and even joins in the jam session.

Spock can have a little jam session

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if it's revenge that the Betazoids are basically a planet of psychic hippies.

I haven't actually seen the episode myself but got the impression the hippies are meant to be portrayed as tragic, but I might be entirely wrong.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

They don't die because of their attitude towards society, they die because their leader led them to a planet where everything was toxic including the grass. Chekov was the one with the biggest chip on his shoulder about them, Kirk was just annoyed they chose his ship to take over.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is this the one where Spock says he was happy for the first time in his life and the crew is just like "huh, oh well"

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
Another TOS episode is "A Private Little War", which was intended as a Vietnam War allegory by the screenwriter. In it the Klingons provide firearms to one tribe, so Kirk decides to give guns to their enemies so they can fight off their assailants. The Vietnamese people in this allegory are, instead of a former colony with modern knowlege, agrarian savages who haven't even invented gunpowder. Perhaps the one saving grace is that the Federation are, if you squint, the USSR/China in the allegory.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've been watching a bunch of Hell's Kitchen and the part that doesn't age well is going through the "where are they now" sites and seeing all the deaths and drug issues. Surprisingly there's a lot of drug use in kitchen staff.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There is so much to dissect here.

Instant orange juice is ruining the youth! Hitler killed six million people so don't try to make America better!

What the christ. :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Push El Burrito posted:

I've been watching a bunch of Hell's Kitchen and the part that doesn't age well is going through the "where are they now" sites and seeing all the deaths and drug issues. Surprisingly there's a lot of drug use in kitchen staff.

You've never worked in a restaurant have you?

Everyone is high

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

You've never worked in a restaurant have you?

Everyone is high

Yeah I have. Which is also why I'm not surprised like over half of everyone on the show sits around smoking after the kitchen closes.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Push El Burrito posted:

Hell's Kitchen hasn't aged well because he hasn't had one restaurant where he had to deal with the drama of one of the cooks sleeping with multiple servers and it coming to light on a shift they're all working/getting busted for dealing drugs/shows up high as hell but is still the best cook on the line so you gotta make do.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

duck trucker posted:

Hell's Kitchen hasn't aged well because he hasn't had one restaurant where he had to deal with the drama of one of the cooks sleeping with multiple servers and it coming to light on a shift they're all working/getting busted for dealing drugs/shows up high as hell but is still the best cook on the line so you gotta make do.

You're getting Hell's Kitchen confused with Kitchen Nightmares. Unsurprising, considering he's very committed to his branding of always having "Hell" or "Kitchen" in the title.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Sir Lemming posted:

You're getting Hell's Kitchen confused with Kitchen Nightmares. Unsurprising, considering he's very committed to his branding of always having "Hell" or "Kitchen" in the title.

poo poo you're right.

Hell's Kitchen never had a better season then the season where the stoner who broke his hand in the first or second episode and could only cook one handed the rest of the season won.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

duck trucker posted:

poo poo you're right.

Hell's Kitchen never had a better season then the season where the stoner who broke his hand in the first or second episode and could only cook one handed the rest of the season won.

Look at this person who never heard of Sterling.

But, yeah, Dave ruled because he sounded exactly like Dax Shepard's character from Idiocracy.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Vandar posted:

There is so much to dissect here.

Instant orange juice is ruining the youth! Hitler killed six million people so don't try to make America better!

What the christ. :psyduck:

My favourite was the final line.

"America has worked for 400 years, and by the world's standards, it's hardly more than yesterday."

Supposed to be saying America is doing stuff right, but it came off to me as "Our glorious society is a statistically insignificant blip that might just be coincidence"

Then again, the very start with it's list of improvements like living conditions, education, healthcare and employment might as well be a laundry list of things boomers are stopping the next generations from having.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Push El Burrito posted:

That isn't surprising at all to anybody who has worked in the restaurant industry for more than a day. If you aren't an addict before you start the job will make you one.

And really, nobody parties harder than restaurant people. Nobody.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That isn't surprising at all to anybody who has worked in the restaurant industry for more than a day. If you aren't an addict before you start the job will make you one.

Someone hasn't seen the breaks at the steel mill.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Someone hasn’t worked in a college library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

Someone hasn't seen the breaks at the steel mill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDztq1wFZvA