Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Would you mind posting details of your EMDR experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
We started basic. Had me rate how I felt about an experience on a negitivescale it was a 8. We then started talking through it. I was instructed to start taping a point on my hand at a certain point. Afterwards I was supposed to state a positive about the experience. I came up with I survived it. The weird part is that I went into it thinking that fear was the driving force but i came out mad as hell. Like drive over the dude while hes crossing the street in a crosswalk in front of a cop mad. I mean it's about 16 hours later and I'm still mad. I had to go for a drive for a while before i could even go home. Not sure how i feel about it and the nightmares were loving intense last night. Between that and the back pain I got maybe 2 hours of sleep so now I'm at work trying not to go off on my chief every time he opens his mouth and says something stupid while i do his job.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

That sounds a lot like how I was feeling a year and a half ago.

I want to hear that you get your two months of ETS leave. Those mother fuckers refused to sign off on mine because I had just come off of two months of convalescent leave, and I had to fight them tooth and nail just to get that. Take every single shred of poo poo from them that you deserve.

Seriously, that last time you leave the gate knowing you'll never have to go back is the best feeling in the world, and it's almost here for you.

Confirming this. Felt it when I walked out the gate of Bangor, having finally out processed out. Freedom my dude. It's almost there baby

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Called in a DV incident. loving local pd pointed out my house. Glad I have cameras. So much for my already insomniac sleep.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Has anyone heard from HCT? Hasn’t posted in a while AFAIK, I miss his posting & hope he’s well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Flying_Crab posted:

Has anyone heard from HCT? Hasn’t posted in a while AFAIK, I miss his posting & hope he’s well.

he's fairly active on the discord. ill pass the love

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

Melthir posted:

We started basic. Had me rate how I felt about an experience on a negitivescale it was a 8. We then started talking through it. I was instructed to start taping a point on my hand at a certain point. Afterwards I was supposed to state a positive about the experience. I came up with I survived it. The weird part is that I went into it thinking that fear was the driving force but i came out mad as hell. Like drive over the dude while hes crossing the street in a crosswalk in front of a cop mad. I mean it's about 16 hours later and I'm still mad. I had to go for a drive for a while before i could even go home. Not sure how i feel about it and the nightmares were loving intense last night. Between that and the back pain I got maybe 2 hours of sleep so now I'm at work trying not to go off on my chief every time he opens his mouth and says something stupid while i do his job.

I've been recommended for EMDR. Looking for a doc now. Anything I should know? This is all really weird to me. Is is just as simple as go with the one my primary therapist is suggesting?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I guess, I was asked about what my last bad dream was and we went from there. The inability to let go afterwards and calm really really bothered me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hello my dudes, i have been working graveyard shifts and SAD has been hitting me hard.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ElMaligno posted:

Hello my dudes, i have been working graveyard shifts and SAD has been hitting me hard.

Hey bro just got off my 2300-1000 rotation. I feel you.

Chat rooms stave off the loneliness for a while. Blackout curtains, strict lights off hours and "goodnight" rituals help too.

Sorry bro.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
gently caress dude that can be a rough time. I used to do overnight EMS shifts and it sucked, soul draining sometimes. Especially coming off shift straight to class or whatever.

I'm camping right now. It's cold but being in nature with a fire and seeing stars makes me feel better so hopefully you've got something similar you can do. Best wishes.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

ElMaligno posted:

Are you going to be on graveyard for a while? Maybe look into getting a light therapy box.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey bro just got off my 2300-1000 rotation. I feel you.

Chat rooms stave off the loneliness for a while. Blackout curtains, strict lights off hours and "goodnight" rituals help too.

Sorry bro.

To be fair the worse was being unable to sleep, waking up after a couple of hours of sleep, or waking up super early on my days off.

Sarah posted:

Are you going to be on graveyard for a while? Maybe look into getting a light therapy box.

I have one and i also take vitamin D.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Go outside more on your days off. Staying out of the house helped a ton with my mood, even if it interfered sightly with my sleep, if that makes sense. Getting a change of scenery helps.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Im feeling better, I'm switching to days tomorrow abs im going out more often.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm so tired.

I need to get service connected in the VA and I literally don't know where the gently caress to start.

Everyone talks about how they got their poo poo for flat feet and shin splints and I don't know how to get A VA BRAIN DOCTOR to rate me for having suicidal ideations and hosed up guts.

Every piece of advice feels worthless because I can't keep track of what I'm supposed to do because I can not think straight 90% of the day. I start the process, get lost, ask the wrong question, get the wrong appointment, and then get a bill in the mail.

I have to remind myself out loud what I'm doing for Christ sake; how the gently caress am I supposed to hound a loving institution for healthcare?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 5, 2019

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm so tired.

I need to get service connected in the VA and I literally don't know where the gently caress to start.

Everyone talks about how they got their poo poo for flat feet and shin splints and I don't know how to get A VA BRAIN DOCTOR to rate me for having suicidal ideations and hosed up guts.

Every piece of advice feels worthless because I can't keep track of what I'm supposed to do because I can not think straight 90% of the day. I start the process, get lost, ask the wrong question, get the wrong appointment, and then get a bill in the mail.

I have to remind myself out loud what I'm doing for Christ sake; how the gently caress am I supposed to hound a loving institution for healthcare?

Do you have a VSO (Veteran Service Officer) or an attorney to help guide you? The VSO's are free through different organizations like the American Legion and stuff.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MonkeyWash posted:

Do you have a VSO (Veteran Service Officer) or an attorney to help guide you? The VSO's are free through different organizations like the American Legion and stuff.

ya, I went through a VSO who in my case worked for my state's veteran's department. They had a big office inside the VA regional office even, super easy.

I was expecting like a 0-20% rating and it came back at 40%, not because I'm not truly broke brained/have physical injuries supported by my military medical records but I'd have definitely underreported stuff and probably not been rated properly without the VSO's help. Definitely use a VSO.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Nth-ing the VSO. They know what to do and how, and are good at getting things rolling or knowing who to poke about getting things done.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hey guys, I know this may not seem the right venue for this but I'm Thetechnoloser's wife and I need an invite to the Discord. It's very important.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

PM sent

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Just a reminder to my fellow Veterans that you are loved and not forgotten, you don't know me but I served from '84 to '94, and if you served or serving, then we are friends- unconditional.

I needed help and got it.

Help is there, there is no shame in asking for what you have earned. I let my pride stand in the way of some very good help for 24 years, because I allowed myself to believe that asking for help was weak.

You are not weak.

It is yours, take it- trust me, you have paid the price.

If this helps one person it was worth every keystroke.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I hang out in a Discord with a former Veteran who is having a really hard time, can I get an invite to the Slack/Discord whatever? I have no idea how to help this dude, or even ask him if he is getting h
elp

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hes in discord now for those wondering

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My team leader from Iraq had a seizure and died on Saturday morning. They found his body today. I spent an hour and a half crying at work in the back before I could pull myself together enough to finish the days projext and go home.

Now I’m dealing with it in the most mature way possible. Coke and beer.

I texted him Friday night and he didn’t answer which is rare.

What if he was already loving dead? Why didn’t I get concerned? gently caress

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Please tell me the coke your using is Cola and not booger sugar.

Please.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My team leader from Iraq had a seizure and died on Saturday morning. They found his body today. I spent an hour and a half crying at work in the back before I could pull myself together enough to finish the days projext and go home.

Now I’m dealing with it in the most mature way possible. Coke and beer.

I texted him Friday night and he didn’t answer which is rare.

What if he was already loving dead? Why didn’t I get concerned? gently caress

You're okay. I'm sorry this happened.

Sadness is the loving worst mixer, though. Don't go far down that path.

I genuinely cannot imagine what your going through, and I'm sorry.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Hey guys, the holidays can suck. If you need help call someone. Get on discord. People do care.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey guys. This news has me so anxious I have barely registered my bfffl admitting that he's been on the brink for nearly a year and some other baggage that's been holding him down.

he is ok right now, but that was scary. I hope that all of you are well and I think I could use some rest now.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

For any Canadian Forces members reading this, if you're feeling hosed up, use the Member's Assistance Program (CFMAP). I'm seeing a therapist through the program and it was a piece of cake to set up, and neither the base MIR nor my CoC have any information or knowledge of my therapy situation unless I decide I want them to.

You can use it, your spouse/partner can use it, your kids can use it, all without needing you to be present. You can attend couples counseling with your spouse through the MAP. You can see short term therapy for if you're having problems focusing, addiction, grief, PTSD, can't sleep, anything that's giving you difficulty that isn't a physical ailment and isn't getting any better, call the MAP.

Please call the MAP. "Crisis" is not necessarily an immediate thing - even if you're feeling hosed up long-term but you're able to manage to maintain an appearance of function, you may be in crisis. You don't have to struggle alone. Please use the MAP.

CFMAP phone 1-800-268-7708

This line is manned 24/7/365, by a bilingual civilian agent. Please don't be afraid to ask for help. Calling costs nothing and nobody has to know if you don't want them to.

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 6, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm super freaked this whole week.

Feels like my heart's going to explode.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hello not only I'm I anxious about Iran, the election, maria, the earthquake, my dad, my wife, getting ready to test out for e6 advancement, so on and so.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Hello not only I'm I anxious about Iran, the election, maria, the earthquake, my dad, my wife, getting ready to test out for e6 advancement, so on and so.

You ok man. If you need someone to talk to while at work look up some guy in AK on cg messenger or hit me up on discord.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 9, 2020

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

stevobob posted:

For any Canadian Forces members reading this, if you're feeling hosed up, use the Member's Assistance Program (CFMAP). I'm seeing a therapist through the program and it was a piece of cake to set up, and neither the base MIR nor my CoC have any information or knowledge of my therapy situation unless I decide I want them to.

You can use it, your spouse/partner can use it, your kids can use it, all without needing you to be present. You can attend couples counseling with your spouse through the MAP. You can see short term therapy for if you're having problems focusing, addiction, grief, PTSD, can't sleep, anything that's giving you difficulty that isn't a physical ailment and isn't getting any better, call the MAP.

Please call the MAP. "Crisis" is not necessarily an immediate thing - even if you're feeling hosed up long-term but you're able to manage to maintain an appearance of function, you may be in crisis. You don't have to struggle alone. Please use the MAP.

CFMAP phone 1-800-268-7708

This line is manned 24/7/365, by a bilingual civilian agent. Please don't be afraid to ask for help. Calling costs nothing and nobody has to know if you don't want them to.

Seconding this. I'm currently in the CAF as well and have used this program. Also please PM me if anyone is ever looking for a soundboard or just someone to chat with, I can lend an ear and can help put you in touch with services and resources to support you.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

You ok man. If you need someone to talk to while at work look up Greer in AK on cg messenger or hit me up on discord.

im ok, I talk to the wife and the news about the earthquake has me numb.

im just tired

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

im ok, I talk to the wife and the news about the earthquake has me numb.

im just tired

You ok bud?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

You ok bud?

no, its not a good time for me

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Day 6 of waking up shaking and nauseous.

I will get better.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Things are a lil better, good enough to write ideas for my dnd game but still bad enough for me to stay in bed and sleep.

I mean im working graveyard shift, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Wasabi the J posted:

Day 6 of waking up shaking and nauseous.

I will get better.

Yes, you will.

ElMaligno posted:

Things are a lil better, good enough to write ideas for my dnd game but still bad enough for me to stay in bed and sleep.

I mean im working graveyard shift, but still...

I'm playing in my first-ever DnD campaign and it's pretty much the highlight of my week. I think that's a great thing to be able to put energy into.