Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVY5CjEC3W4

I think Steve died a little when he had to say Anime Waifu Edition GPU.

All of you are complaining about Steve's dry delivery, but this video is amazing *because* of the dry delivery of all the waifu puns and entendres.

"It was a fun card to look at... That was phrased poorly"

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVY5CjEC3W4

I think Steve died a little when he had to say Anime Waifu Edition GPU.

He brought this on himself. He said he wanted more cards that weren’t gamer extreme black. So he got gamer extreme pink instead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He and Greg Salazar (Science Studio) have really cute cats.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

I honestly have no idea how Unbox Therapy is such a big thing.... the guy is the most transparent shill I've ever seen.

I feel like the video is going to stop at any moment and he's going to start bullying me.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus Tech Tips uploaded an 8-hour 8k resolution Yule Log video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVfex2bCJCQ

From the comments:

quote:

5:18 Logs readjust to get more comfy
20:28 James warms you up with his wood (ASMR) (James. Santa-variant)
1:19:47 Santa James shows the Lincoln Logs industry who's boss. (James. Santa Variant)
1:33:45 JAMES LITERALLY THROWS COLTON IN THE FIRE! (NOT CLICKBAIT) (GONE SEXUAL) (DON'T DEMONITIZE ME!) (James. Human variant. Unique appearance.)
1:45:47 James Claus piles more dead trees onto fire for sweet AdSense bucks. (James. Santa variant)
1:48:50 Unknown background hum begins (Planes? See bottom.)
2:06:10 Local pyromaniac sates his desires in surprisingly responsible manner. More at 11. (James. Reindeer variant)
2:20:01 Pupperino: "Such warm."
2:20:27 Doggo returns with a near out-of-frame, left-to-right rush before reappearing to scour for munchables.
2:20:45 MUNCHABLES LOCATED
2:22:52 Door creaks. SANDY CLAWS?!?! (Nightmare Before Christmas fans, you may clap now.)
2:23:09 MORE MUNCHABLES LOCATED
2:23:26 CRONCH CRONCH
2:23:47 Loggo does a smol spook. Doggo does a smol fright.
2:26:30 Return of the Chonk
2:27:15 Revenge of the CRONCH
2:34:13 Everything gets a little dimmer
2:35:43 Rob Schneider is: A Stokin' and a Pokin'. Rated PG-13. Starts Friday. (James. Santa variant)
2:44:30 Smoldering log leaps out of fireplace to safety, proving the server room isn't the biggest fire hazard, and the practical need for a #FIREPOLE. We can also see there's no working smoke detectors nearby. (Explanation at bottom)
2:47:47 Unknown background hum stops. (Planes? See bottom.)
2:54:55 James adds logs, unaware that they are fully capable of un-adding themselves. (James. Reindeer variant)
2:58:06 Uh-oh. Fire in place that not fireplace. Move fire back to place for fire. (James. Reindeer variant)
3:23:17 James adds more logs. Don't let this distract you from the fact that they need to HIRE MADISON. (James. Reindeer variant)
3:46:12 James moves some logs around. Fire is generally stoked about the situation. (James. Santa variant)
3:46:55 James decides his small Stoker isn't as good as the vampire-inspired author it was named for, and proceeds to place it atop the burning mound of wood. (James. Santa variant)
3:53:56 Bram's legacy falls to the lower part of the pit, and lower still at 3:58:15. An apt demise.
4:08:05 The man in the WAN hoodie returns to rearrange the falling tree corpses again, tossing his wood-based poker in immediately this time. (James. Santa variant)
4:18:35 James internally sings "Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire" as he ponders whether the song was wrote about this very topic. He leaves to Google the lyrics. (James. Reindeer variant)
4:40:03 Dummy thicc boi returns to poke some wood, and add more of his own. (James. Santa variant)
5:02:16 Man inserts flammable object into fire. Hilarity ensues. (probably, IDK) (James. Santa variant)
5:02:49 His love of fire insatiable now, the NAW show host throws more former-saplings onto his festive inferno. (James. Santa variant)
5:08:49 ... and another one gone, and another one gone. Another one heats the house. (James. Reindeer variant)
5:15:12 Log: pops loudly and releases many glowing pieces of pure Christmas up into the chimney
5:31:46 Who's that? (James. Santa variant)
5:32:28 "Slick" Luke? (James. Santa variant)
5:39:30 LONG. LIVE. THE KING. Sad burning stick noises
5:43:49 (part II)
5:53:39 Riley? (James. Santa variant)
6:04:08 Linus "Epstein Didn't Kill Himself" Sebastian? (James. Reindeer variant)
6:25:37 "B-Roll" Brandon? (James. Santa variant)
6:36:49 Anthony? (James. Reindeer variant)
6:47:18 Loud pop leaves embers and ash outside fireplace! "Visible at the bottom of the frame, near the white present!" types onlooker.
6:59:45 Yvonne? (James. Santa variant)
7:00:28 Hey, I've seen this one before. (James. Santa variant)
7:07:29 See previous entry "Long Live The King"
7:21:39 Rick and Morty Season 4! Just kidding. It's (James. Santa variant)
7:32:07 Are you even reading down this far? I mean, yeah, it's really more James, but did you expect something else by this point? (James. Reindeer variant)
7:53:37 Anti-fire people probably shouldn't watch this part. (James. Santa variant)

Reply from LTT on an earlier comment on Floatplane: The first challenge was location: we couldn't find ANYONE (or any rental listing) that had a big, beautiful indoor wood-burning fireplace, so this is actually filmed outdoors. Visually you may not even notice, but the audio suffered as planes can be heard passing overhead. Fortunately it's only distracting if you crank the volume. You may also notice that James is wearing an old WAN hoody. That's because this video was shot OVER A YEAR AGO, in the fall of 2018. The file was so large (500GB) that we spent weeks trying and failing to render it. As late as Dec 22 we tried to upload smaller versions to YouTube but the upload failed, dooming us to wait 'til next year. The beaver pelt rug (provided by James' father in law, a hunter) is still marked from when the burning log fell on it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I know one of y'all has a floppy drive piano. Clint needs some 5.25" Christmas tunes for his intros.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
8K but the fireplace takes up a tiny portion of the screen, seems like kind of a waste

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

pzy posted:

8K but the fireplace takes up a tiny portion of the screen, seems like kind of a waste
It's so on brand for Linus it's magical

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMmQy8bdXk

Entertaining AND informative!

Get hosed, Linus, you stupid hack.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We haven’t really talked about Jay ITT but he’s probably the most gifted at actual builds out of his peers. His channel isn’t perfect (and sometime he really rubs me the wrong way) but when he whips out the tools it’s always interesting. The Destiny themed ITX / external radiator mod he did for a friend was sick.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
His Summer AMD budget build was really good. Like, even if I couldn't get the same prices at Microcenter (cuz it ain't in my country), it at least got me looking in the right direction. And yea, that linked video above pretty much assuaged a lot of my concerns about watercooling with a very visual demonstration of how much poo poo you have to screw up to actually bring down that kind of calamity down on your build.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seeing the water level drop was impressive. Considering water is incompressible, it was in the rest of the system, and that was a considerable volume.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

well why not posted:

We haven’t really talked about Jay ITT but he’s probably the most gifted at actual builds out of his peers. His channel isn’t perfect (and sometime he really rubs me the wrong way) but when he whips out the tools it’s always interesting. The Destiny themed ITX / external radiator mod he did for a friend was sick.

This is kinda faint praise but Jay is really good at something almost every channel on youtube sucks at: doing sponsorship bits. His commercials are obviously separate from the editorial content, not shoved intrusively into the middle of his videos, for stuff he genuinely likes or uses and often actually funny. Sure, the man is paid to say he loves world of warships more than anyone reasonably could love world of warships, but he seems to have picked wargaming to sponsor him because he really loves boats and it shows.

His watercooling rundowns are very thorough and his builds and mods are definitely the best of the tech tube mafia, although for pure "watch man (plus adorable daughters) build ridiculous neon monstrosity for rich people" it's hard to beat the Pinoy cheer of Declassified Systems.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 8, 2019

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0w0wY2ZzeA

This is a fun video of Paul admitting how big of an idiot he is.

Imagine if Linus did this... he'd have to have one for every single stupid loving project.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

This is kinda faint praise but Jay is really good at something almost every channel on youtube sucks at: doing sponsorship bits. His commercials are obviously separate from the editorial content, not shoved intrusively into the middle of his videos, for stuff he genuinely likes or uses and often actually funny. Sure, the man is paid to say he loves world of warships more than anyone reasonably could love world of warships, but he seems to have picked wargaming to sponsor him because he really loves boats and it shows.

His watercooling rundowns are very thorough and his builds and mods are definitely the best of the tech tube mafia, although for pure "watch man (plus adorable daughters) build ridiculous neon monstrosity for rich people" it's hard to beat the Pinoy cheer of Declassified Systems.

Yeah respect to the guy for his ethics w/r/t sponsors. IIRC his dad was a navy guy and they were pretty close.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Jay does seem like a cool guy, but his build gimmick is the single most boring thing possible in my mind. I could not care less about the aesthetics of a loving computer. I know a lot of people do care, though, so it was a smart niche to position himself in.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The relatively self-aware product placement plug at ~4.57 actually make me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFJoXEdsBAA

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Reminder that the annual GN disappointment build is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_xDzDOua4

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Reminder that the opposite of the disappointment build is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tu0Q1x80VY

Assuming the opposite of disappointment is non-movie cats

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7YTJIoYjsw

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Holy poo poo, Linus Tech Tips actually managed to follow through on that watercooled RED 8k camera project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imJ9QgOJHzY

:eyepoop: This is apparently what spurred them to buy all that equipment to make to make a proper industrial fabrication workshop.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I was just wondering what happened to that this morning.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
How am I not surprised the support arm is blocking the display.

Never stop Linus Media.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
gently caress I loving hate youtube thumbnails with people doing their stupid gape!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evobatman posted:

gently caress I loving hate youtube thumbnails with people doing their stupid gape!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Speaking of Linus, I recently came across thunderf00t's video on the stupid kickstarter food scanner thing and to my surprise there's Linus repeating the PR talking points and then doubling down how they were totally not indorsing it lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdv_tWDqNEA&t=864s. It's not new but the first time I'm seeing either this or the original video.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
That guy still makes videos? I would have thought after hbomberguy's video he would have to take a decade to regrow his ego from seed.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

evobatman posted:

Install "Clickbait Remover for YouTube", available on Firefox and Chrome. There's a setting to replace all the thumbnails with a still from X seconds into the video. Goes well with SponsorBlock which skips over the in-video (not seperately streamed) ads.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think Linus is going to kill himself. He's crying a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAsZCTL__lo

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Charles posted:

I think Linus is going to kill himself. He's crying a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAsZCTL__lo

He seems pretty serious about this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wistful of Dollars posted:

He seems pretty serious about this.

When I clicked it he was talking about if he died tomorrow his wife & kids would be taken care of and there were a lot of people saying "Don't do it" so I probably clicked at a really awkward time.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
That was a very emotional and I teared up a little when he talked about the Make-A-Wish kid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I mean it sounds like he doesn't really have to work anymore. Maybe leave the other guys to run the channel and he can just hang out with his family.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean it sounds like he doesn't really have to work anymore. Maybe leave the other guys to run the channel and he can just hang out with his family.

As much as his stuff isn't for me, gotta take my hat off to him for having the foresight to build it up in a way that he can remove himself and it still keeps humming along. Not many youtube stars that have channels that start off basically built around them solely that could do the same thing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I refuse to watch a half hour video of Linus jerking himself off about how stressed he is

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

OhFunny posted:

That was a very emotional and I teared up a little when he talked about the Make-A-Wish kid.

For sure

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

mewse posted:

I refuse to watch a half hour video of Linus jerking himself off about how stressed he is

Thanks for the update.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Linus' final Tech Tip: Get Out While You Can

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
This is therapeutic as hell, it's like the anti-Linus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtIO_Q8mk_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Theophany posted:

This is therapeutic as hell, it's like the anti-Linus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtIO_Q8mk_o

distro plate bullshit is the apex of "look at all the money I spent" form over function. it is frivolous haute couture for nerds who probably sneer at someone with a louis vuitton or gucci handbag.

like, LTT spending a bunch of money on a machining shop to watercool a red camera is dumb as hell, but at least it's a challenge. the guy with the ridiculous handlebar mustache bought a CNC mill to make a needlessly complicated and expensive water bottle.