Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

muscles like this! posted:

It Hurts!! is a pretty good completed comic (although it does have a sequel that is currently ongoing.) It starts out as kind of a crude story about some kids going to school but it really starts to go to some weird rear end places.

i'm nearly 300 strips in now, and I've been thinking "what the gently caress am i reading and why am i still reading it?" for basically the entire time

like this is #273 which I was at while making this post, and what the hell why does this kind of work!?

stringless has a new favorite as of 11:10 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

with each page i think "this will be the last, and I will move on"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FFT posted:

with each page i think "this will be the last, and I will move on"

I think this is why I stopped actually following webcomics. funny one offs are great but being stuck reading 1500 pages because ??? sucks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sometimes you just want something you can sit and read for hours.

The bar with webcomics has always been super low. I've said before that basically if you put out content on the internet, ANY content, at a reliable pace, you'll attract a following no matter how mediocre it is. Having any grasp of pacing and tone is already putting you a massive cut above the rest.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I can't argue with that. I just read the forums :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

sinburger posted:

Scary go round is great, John is on hiatus though so it's as complete as it'll get unless you start buying physical copies of the Giant Days.

Good news, he's been updating Bobbins regularly over the past few weeks

http://bobbins.horse

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Snakes can't blush. That comic is inaccurate and bad.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FFT posted:

i'm nearly 300 strips in now, and I've been thinking "what the gently caress am i reading and why am i still reading it?" for basically the entire time

like this is #273 which I was at while making this post, and what the hell why does this kind of work!?

One thing to remember is the the author draws the speech bubbles first and then writes the script to fill them in. That led to the unique dialog style.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

I think this is why I stopped actually following webcomics. funny one offs are great but being stuck reading 1500 pages because ??? sucks

good news! it's only 475 "pages" long!

Who What Now posted:

One thing to remember is the the author draws the speech bubbles first and then writes the script to fill them in. That led to the unique dialog style.

that does explain why the beats are good but the art is "lol we are humorously agape at this thing which just happened"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Sometimes he can't think of anything so you get the enormous speech bubbles with a tiny gently caress or something and it makes me giggle every time.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Thank you, kind goons! I cant believe how many good recommendations were listed on the last page. Based on what's posted here I thought you guys hated comics/humor/life.

I just started working the Back, it is fantastic.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ChubbyChecker posted:

Snakes can't blush. That comic is inaccurate and bad.

Maybe you just haven't given your snakes anything to blush about?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Ebola Dog posted:

Digger is definitely worth reading.
Agreed. One of the few long webcomics that feels like a complete story. An adventure about a very down-to-earth wombat suddenly stuck in a much more mystical world.

On the slice of life side, I liked Bobwhite, which follows some roommates through college.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

muscles like this! posted:

It Hurts!! is a pretty good completed comic (although it does have a sequel that is currently ongoing.) It starts out as kind of a crude story about some kids going to school but it really starts to go to some weird rear end places.

Is my brain broken if I find this funny? I can't stop reading it

Wendell
May 11, 2003

More like Buttleplug.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Riatsala posted:

Having a broken brain helps! (I found it funny)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Riatsala posted:

No, it's an unironically good webcomic, like finding a unicorn at the city dump.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

vyelkin posted:

No, it's an unironically good webcomic, like finding a unicorn at the city dump.

Yeah it's astonishing.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Wasn't this from some comic too?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Yeah, Mario falls in with a bunch of Marxist koopas.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brewmaster posted:

Thank you, kind goons! I cant believe how many good recommendations were listed on the last page. Based on what's posted here I thought you guys hated comics/humor/life.

I mean we do, but we also know good things to recommend.

Then once you're done with the good stuff you can join us down here in the pit

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Now where could my dog cum be?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
It Hurts! Is good, and fairly early on the author has a brief "I should probably stop using lovely middle school level language even if it's for realism's sake."
It bugged me a bit and I think it was handled succinctly .

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's stored in the

Wait, no.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
dog cum is stored in the jon

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Dog cum cum coffee.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Morally Inept Irish Coffee?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Last panel would make a great av

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Christmas posted:

A bit off topic, but since Dr McNinja's Chris Hastings was recently mentioned, I gotta plug a newish DnD podcast called Rude Tales of Magic, for those of you into that kind of thing. He plays a character in a campaign DM'ed by Swan Boy's Branson Reese. It is hilarious.

Rude Tales is loving incredible, I can't remember the last time anything made me laugh so much

Branson can only really do one voice but god drat he gets some mileage out of it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just Swan Boy doing what Swan Boy do

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dr Christmas posted:

A bit off topic, but since Dr McNinja's Chris Hastings was recently mentioned, I gotta plug a newish DnD podcast called Rude Tales of Magic, for those of you into that kind of thing. He plays a character in a campaign DM'ed by Swan Boy's Branson Reese. It is hilarious.

Oh yeah, highly recommended.
I never even heard he was doing a podcast before last week until someone recommended it to me, but it's super good and funny, and only half a dozen episodes at the moment so it's easy to catch up if you like it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why is it always DnD?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's fun and provides a very straightforward way to goof around with funny character work.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I finished It Hurts across a single day and I have no regrets. Tons of narrative curve balls, very funny, with some actually emotionally effecting themes of friendship, family, and love. A++++ would read again in a couple years.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

Why is it always DnD?

Name brand recognition.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just Swan Boy doing what Swan Boy do
Swan Boy loves the tub

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Swan Boy loves the tub

Would he rather take a tubby, or hit the drippini?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Swan Boy would definitely call them appies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Len posted:

Why is it always DnD?

DnD is cool and good