Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Thank you. I got both promos too. Good looking out.

I'm on cable modem again, but hoping someday they will alter Sprint upload bandwidth on the towers around here (most of their towers, actually) so I can ditch cable and go back to just using my phone for internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nice, yea after about 6-8 tries both appeared on mine as well. Neato stuff.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Thanks for the tip! Took me about 15 cycles for both to show up.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I got it, but it never showed up for my wife. Thanks for the heads up on these. I never check it unless this thread tells me to LOL

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

astral posted:

$5 Amazon in Sprint Rewards

Was able to replicate. Thanks

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I wish the rest of the world worked that way. If you could open and close your fridge 10 times and POW! You’ve got gyros!

My cousin Tim’s old mercury (I think Cougar) did work like that. Pull up on the locked door handle about 5 times and it opened.

Thanks for the heads up on the free $5

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
That fellow made us $100+ richer!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I broke my phone over the weekend so I got myself a LG G8X ThinQ as there was a $15 discount on the sprint flex lease and it seems like a pretty good phone.

I'm now getting a free 2nd screen because its a dual screen phone and a free TV because why not heres a free tv.

Thanks sprint.

Missed out on those free phut wings though. :mad:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If people in a store told you you're getting some accessory or extra device for free, you probably aren't. What happens is they lie to you about it, then they put it on your account as monthly installments. Next, they add insurance without your consent. Finally, you get your next bill and discover their evil plan.

Not saying that's what happened here but unscrupulous salespeople that do this are unfortunately pretty common.

e: I'm glad it's a legitimate manufacturer thing because salesmen that do the above are the scum of the earth!

astral fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 12, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I got the e-mail about the LG deal as well. The TV and the 2nd screen for the G8X are both from LG directly with registration on their site so it has nothing to do with Sprint at all outside of your flex lease.

I know you're talking about other deals in the past like a "Free" LG Tablet or some crap that usually comes with a Activation of a Tablet Data Plan or some crap and the Tablet itself is some underpowered pos that's not worth $50 unlocked anyway.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I learned like 10 years ago not to trust anything a sprint employee says, Ive been burned before. Everything was done online, just picked up in store.

I didn't even know about the free tv until I got home and signed up for the 2nd screen!

edit: i hosed up by thanking sprint in my last post sprint sucks of course i really should be thanking lg

thanks lg

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Well my LG G6 crapped out on me. It just seems to be stuck in a boot loop. Sprint apparently only leases phones now unless you pay full msrp. So what's my best option for procuring a phone now? Anything better then my g6 will work.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Black Friday coming right up. Look for a good deal and just buy the phone outright.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
People like the Pixel 3a/3aXL. There are a ton of phones on sale now or about to be, see the last few pages of the Android thread.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Pixel 3 is on Sprint Lease for $10 for 18 months. Then pay the additional ~$125 lump sum or spread it out over 6 months. Conversely, you can get a Amazon Warehouse deal on the 3a for roughly $250 depending on condition with a bit more for taxes, outside of BF deals.

Despite my basic needs coming from former thread darling Moto G5+, I went with the OG Pixel 3 for just about $300 out the door if I decide to keep it. Is the $50 upgrade to the Pixel 3 from the 3a worth it?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So does anyone know exactly what Roaming actually counts against your roaming data usage?

I was up in the mountains with no Sprint service but roamed over to Verizon LTE and used well over the 200-300mb data that would have cut me off when I was up in Alaska when I was on SERO.

But checking my usage still a few days later, Data usage for normal LTE went up as expected, but Roaming is still at 0MB.

If that is the case that roaming over to Verizon is no longer a big deal that makes things a lot less stressful when outside of Sprint service on occasion.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

So does anyone know exactly what Roaming actually counts against your roaming data usage?

But checking my usage still a few days later, Data usage for normal LTE went up as expected, but Roaming is still at 0MB.

I was in the U P of Michigan during the summer and I was actually roaming on AT&T data and nothing ever came across for my roaming totals when I logged in to check. So who knows what's going on with the roaming calculations for data.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well, a pleasant surprise at least.

Will see how long this gravy train of SWAC can hold out before T-Mobile takes over and does whatever they do to us.

Does T-Mobile have any sort of equivalent plans that it offers in a similar manner? Hopefully we all don't get shafted out of all the perks we have come to enjoy.

At least they aren't like AT&T forcing you to change plans and charge you more for it while trying to word it like it's some "perk" or something. Even Verizon isn't that friggin shady.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm on SWAC and went to Canada recently, as soon as I crossed over it gave me an alert "Welcome to Canada! Your plan includes roaming here!"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

I'm on SWAC and went to Canada recently, as soon as I crossed over it gave me an alert "Welcome to Canada! Your plan includes roaming here!"

10GB if you're on Plus, or "Unlimited" if you're on Premium (have heard it can get throttled after 10-12ish GB though).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I'm on premium since I actually use the Uber credits. I wasn't there long enough to use much data, it was nice though

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Can you add a line to SWAC accounts? I know you never could on SERO, but lots of things have changed...

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I have a couple questions.

1. I added a line and bought 2 phones during the black Friday deals. I specifically said that I didn't want Sprint Complete. It's been added to every line and I've had to cancel it at least once. One line it happened twice. Is there any way to see why this happened? The most recent was this morning at 2am I got the email. Is there any way to see why this keeps getting added? If it's the local store I'd like to report them wherever I do that.

2. I have 3 lines on the middle Sprint unlimited plan. I ONLY use hotspot to give internet to my son's phone. While I'm logged into Sprint it shows that the basic plan is $100 For the first 2 lines then $0 for lines 3-5. When I go to change mine online it's $120 for the 3 lines. It shows the 3rd as $25 -5 autopay. Why is it different?

3. The plan I have now has "international roaming" there's no difference on the Sprint unlimited basic right? This is the only reason we've stuck with Sprint this long.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Ok. I need advice.

The local Sprint store said I had a promo on my account for a free data line. And that they also had a promo for a free iPad with 24 months bill credits, equaling a free iPad. My wife has like last year's model, so I wasn't even going to bother, but I called my wife and she said one with a data plan would be slightly easier for her work (she travels 1/4th of the year) so we did it on December 5th. My bill comes out the 19th so we left it in package to see if it was actually free.

Turns out the iPad credit is applied to the data line and the data line is free AFTER that. Meaning I'm paying $16.66 a month for 24 months for an ipad I don't really need. I talk to Sprint customer service to make sure I understand everything and to also get refunded for the Sprint Complete that keeps magically showing up on my phones. And they are just great. They are like "yeah that's the promo you had, but it's within 30 days so just return it and everything will be refunded." They even refunded me the first $16.66 even though I hadn't returned the iPad yet.

Friday I go to the store to return it and only the manager can do a return. He's not in until Monday. I leave for vacation Tuesday so I ask if I can set an appointment. No. Just call to see if he's available. Monday I call when they open. He's on a conversance call that "may be 20 minutes, may be a couple hours. Just come in whenever and he might be available." I decide I'll wait an hour.

I go in and say I'd like to return it. he asks why. I explain. He pulls up my bill and shows me just the data line and tries to convince me that I'm not paying anything for the iPad. He all but refuses to scroll down to the "equipment" section. Finally he agrees that I'm paying $16.66 for the iPad, but insists that's a great deal and I should just keep it. I again tell him I just want to return it. He says he has to make a phone call and goes to the back.

He comes back out 5 minutes later and says there's a $45 "restocking fee". I tell him "that's not in any of the literature and I just talked to Sprint customer service and they said there were no fees to return it within the 30 days."
He says, "well that's how much it costs do you want to return it or not?"
I said, "I have to call customer service to get this sorted out."
He says, "go ahead and call. They can't tell me what to do in my store."

I step outside to call and explain the situation. It's so ridiculous that the customer service guy is laughing telling me, no. There's no such thing as a restocking fee on an unopened iPad within 30 days. And asks to talk to the manager. I'm like "okay, buddy, good luck"

I go back in and tell the manager that they'd like to speak to him. And he grabbed my phone and WALKED INTO THE BACK with it. I'm like wut? He comes back 5 minutes later and I ask, "so what's the plan?"
He says, "they want to talk to you." hands me my phone and goes back to the back.
Costumer service tells me they are going to apply a $45 credit to my bill and to just return the phone and pay the fee. I reluctantly agreed because I'm leaving the next day, so what choice so I have. I go tell the manager to go ahead and return it and he says I have to wait till there's a free computer. There is one other employee there and three registers.

So. I'd like to post on the local town Facebook group about it, because I'm pretty sure that $45 is illegal without it being in any of the literature and, ya know, against Sprint policy. (This store is listed as a cooperate store, but when I was in earlier in the month he was doing an interview in the back and I heard him telling three interviewee that it's a "cooperate store with 3rd party employees" and he "demands perfection from his employees":rolleyes:) but I'm worried he would retaliate and go in and gently caress with my account. He seemed like that much of a dick.

I'm definitely going to call Sprint proper and figure out how to make a formal complaint against his store. And I was considering reviewing on Google and Twitter, but again I really think he might try to gently caress with my account.

So, goons, what should I do? Can he gently caress with my account without me there?

Tldr: Sprint store manager charged a $45 restocking fee that Sprint had to credit me back even though there's no such thing as a restocking fee in any of their literature or policies. What do?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 25, 2019

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I had an experience at a corp store like that I took the product with me and called sprint customer care and they sent a return kit and I mailed it back to them directly. It left such a bad impact that I'm going later this week to switch to T-Mobile after 10 or so years with sprint.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That all sounds a lot more like a poo poo Corp store that's ran by a shittiy franchise owner and in need of a Corporate Rep Visit as the Customer Service sounds like they were going over and above to be on your side through all that.

Brands don't matter as there is a Verizon store near me that has the same level of poo poo manager running it and I forbid any of my family who still use Verizon from giving that store any business ever again.

I'm lucky in that the one main Sprint store near Sacramento is actually run by some awesome people that have been there for like 20+ years. Always get great service and they always have Sim's for whatever new device that comes out way ahead of anyone else.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Ok. I need advice.

I wouldn't advise wasting the time to make a big fuss about it. You came out of that pretty well, all things considered.

Frontline customer service reps tend to be pretty clueless. If you return a device to a store, my understanding is you would typically pay a restocking fee. It's good that they'll offset the fee with a credit for you, though.

Store agents are frequently predatory. They'll do things like say gift cards from add-a-line promotions are actually "x hundred dollars of free accessories today!" to pad their numbers, talk up a FREE IPAD (normally the promotion is that the iPad is free but you pay the $25 data line per month) without telling people about the data line charges, etc. I've even heard there are some that even sell people "free" devices and accessories, then add it to their bill as 24-month installments.

Thumposaurus posted:

It left such a bad impact that I'm going later this week to switch to T-Mobile after 10 or so years with sprint.

Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue with wireless stores in general. T-Mobile does have better phone/online support, but the stores will on average be just as scummy.

---

I highly recommend using the Sprint website for any purchases/promotions. Take a screenshot of any promotions/terms you'll be using as well as your final order screen. You're the least likely to have problems this way (the website store is far less likely to lie to you, for one), and with those screenshots you'll be covered in the unlikely event that something goes wrong.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 25, 2019

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Way back when the Nexus 5 came out I ordered it online to pick up in store and they refused to give it to me without an accessory purchase. They actually told me it was against policy to hand out an online purchased phone without an attached accessory. I told them I had already paid for it so just hand it over, they refused, so I told them to keep it and I'll go online and get a refund. I got about a step out the door before they came after me and said they'd break policy this one time and let me have the phone :jerkbag:. It just sucks how incentivized phone sales people are to screw people over.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
/gets random fedex tracking # via text

Signature required? I didnt order poo poo!

:getin:

(free 49 inch tv from buying lg g8x)

Thanks sprint!

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 8, 2020

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Let us know what model you got and how you like it.

For LG being LG, their bundle of the dual screen dock and a free TV aren't the worst incentives since neither of those require their own data plan or anything lol.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I haven't even gotten my second screen yet and they're throwing TVs at people?

I've decided to not complain on Facebook or Twitter about that dick store manager, but the company that runs that store (and dozens of others I've learned) has a customer service email, and I'm going to tell my tale of woe to them once my next bill drops and I'm sure everything's sorted.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Worth $300, about what I figured. Its also too big for the dresser I was gonna put it on. Oops.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I didn't know it was a smart TV. 49 isn't that much smaller than the 55in I have in the living room now. No component input would make it rough tho. I would like to control my tv with my Alexa. Man. Some tough choices.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RodShaft posted:

I didn't know it was a smart TV. 49 isn't that much smaller than the 55in I have in the living room now. No component input would make it rough tho. I would like to control my tv with my Alexa. Man. Some tough choices.

Any TV these days is a smart TV. Let's em get ads on their TV's.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Cage posted:

Worth $300, about what I figured. Its also too big for the dresser I was gonna put it on. Oops.

Too small, throw it back!
I kid, I kid.

Even without a smart tv you can enable the hdmi power on with a lot of tvs. I have a 3d Samsung that isn’t very smart and I tell Alexa to turn my Xbox on and the Xbox turns the tv on. Then my 7 year old and 4 year old fight over who gets to play fortnite on the Xbox and who has to play on the PlayStation. Your mileage may vary

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
A medium coffee at circle k? CANCELING SERVICE

(sprint rewards app)

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Cage posted:

A medium coffee at circle k? CANCELING SERVICE

(sprint rewards app)

Yeah. And Chuck-E-Cheese, what the heck.

What can we expect in the next couple months? Coupon code for free napkins at Jimmy Johns?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

otter posted:

Too small, throw it back!
I kid, I kid.

Even without a smart tv you can enable the hdmi power on with a lot of tvs. I have a 3d Samsung that isn’t very smart and I tell Alexa to turn my Xbox on and the Xbox turns the tv on. Then my 7 year old and 4 year old fight over who gets to play fortnite on the Xbox and who has to play on the PlayStation. Your mileage may vary

I have one of the first LE TVs from when they were trying to break into the American market. Zero of the smart features still work and I'm surprised it still works as a display at all. It hasn't powered on with HDMI in 2 updates and the last update was 3 years ago.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

RodShaft posted:

I have one of the first LE TVs from when they were trying to break into the American market. Zero of the smart features still work and I'm surprised it still works as a display at all. It hasn't powered on with HDMI in 2 updates and the last update was 3 years ago.

CEC is kinda flaky at times anyway depending on who makes it.
I have a samsung 3d tv thats in my game room. On the bright side I can say, "Alexa, turn on my xbox" when I walk in the house and by the time I've taken a leak I can sit down to an already-on tv and play something. On the downside, when I turn off my xbox my tv turns off and if I want to watch Tivo I have to turn the tv back on again. I had another tv that would refuse to change which HDMI port you were using even when you specifically told it to go to a specific one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah. It never worked well on this TV. It best it turned on the TV. You'd still have to change it to the input(it has a home page full of broken apps) it's weird because computer monitors have worked like this for forever.