Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I fought it with Mama on my back and kept accidentally setting her down in the tar when I tried to pick up online weapons with triangle. It kept automatically putting them on my back and putting her on the ground, so each time I had to stand next to the item and go into the cargo menu to put it in an appropriate spot, so that was kinda annoying.

Do we need to spoiler tag midgame stuff still? I’m still in chapter 8 so I appreciate the endgame spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I didn't even realize running away was an option lol, I figured getting hosed up during that fight was what killed her

I delivered Mama with 6% damage and was a bit upset when she died. The game is cheating me here, I’m an expert porter.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Beat it and played my first post-game block last night on my path to 5-star every person. Zip-line networks are great. I'll post my ending feelings later, but an absolute contender for my personal Game of the Year.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DalaranJ posted:

I delivered Mama with 6% damage and was a bit upset when she died. The game is cheating me here, I’m an expert porter.

I delivered her with 0% and was also upset. But I saw it coming.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
so wait, is the encounter actually what's supposed to have killed her? I don't really remember

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Intel&Sebastian posted:

so wait, is the encounter actually what's supposed to have killed her? I don't really remember

No, they explain in the cutscene at Mountain Knot (ch. 5 end) That she really "died" in the rubble but the BT baby was keeping her soul or whatever on this side, I think? When you cut the cord, that basically started the countdown for her to pass away

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

She dies because of cutting the cord connecting her to her baby. Her soul is stuck on the other side, it's the BT you see reaching out for the baby when she separates them. There's some hints about it before they fully spell it out for you, but it's the reason Mama never wore her handcuff, so Bridges couldn't monitor her vitals and see that she wasn't really alive.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

So if enough people build the roads then will there just be a complete road system for everyone?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Upmarket Mango posted:

So if enough people build the roads then will there just be a complete road system for everyone?

Nope! Roads seem to only bring in some resources from other players on your shard once connected to the network. Some segments will finish, depending on how active the people in your shard are about building the roads, but you'll likely have to finish most of it yourself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ruffian Price posted:

I still wonder how much of the Amelie/Bridget plot was written solely to justify making a 3D model of Young Wagner, which would necessitate Old Wagner's involvement

I also think it's highly likely that the war chapters were made before he really knew what the plot was gonna be or who Mads even was

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

esperterra posted:

She dies because of cutting the cord connecting her to her baby. Her soul is stuck on the other side, it's the BT you see reaching out for the baby when she separates them. There's some hints about it before they fully spell it out for you, but it's the reason Mama never wore her handcuff, so Bridges couldn't monitor her vitals and see that she wasn't really alive.

oh ok that does sound familiar lmfao

the setting for this game is so wild goddamn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have not had any completed roads spawn in my game besides the initial segments outside Lake Knot. Everywhere else it has been 90% complete at maximum and I would still need to top it off

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have not had any completed roads spawn in my game besides the initial segments outside Lake Knot. Everywhere else it has been 90% complete at maximum and I would still need to top it off

Same, the only road that got finished without me personally doing it was like, one of the very first ones

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wonder if it might also be tied to chiral bandwidth. I had some road segments finish on their own, but not many. They were scattered all over the map, though. Maybe the ones that completed were in networks I 5 starred?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

esperterra posted:

Nope! Roads seem to only bring in some resources from other players on your shard once connected to the network. Some segments will finish, depending on how active the people in your shard are about building the roads, but you'll likely have to finish most of it yourself.

Oh that’s kinda lame :/

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I completed almost the whole road north to south, then when I finally ventured west I eventually got two road segments fully completed by online people. The materials are never 90% complete for me though, it’s usually around half done by other players and I have to do the other half.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
the whole strand system is a sham but it's fun to pretend it's not because it'd probably be a worse experience if it wasn't gamed at least a little

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, seeing other people's structures isn't a total sham, though I did pick up on the fact that you're far more limited than it seems as to where you can put up bridges

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The key is to make Strand Contracts with people who have a very high amount of likes from NPCs and courier ratings that are high in areas other than Bridge Link and preferably plenty of Legend or Legend of Legends rankings, going by player likes is fairly useless because we've all come across poo poo like a bridge to nowhere over flat land with an inexplicable 5k like count or something and oftentimes it's just the people who played the game the earliest, so their stuff has been mouldering on the map for ages and got plenty of likes in the short period after release where people were generous with likes before not bothering anymore. Usually the people with high NPC likes have done a ton of deliveries and if their Delivery Time ranking is decent that means they've probably put up some good ziplines in order to make the strict timings on some of them.

Once you have a decent list of Strand Contracts delete as much garbage as you can from the map and it will repopulate with hopefully far better stuff that is actually helpful for finishing deliveries.

I did it the other night and suddenly have useful ziplines and structures. You have to clear stuff up and curate your Contracts better because the game will just leave the garbage you got early on for an eternity until they are ruined before ever populating it with anything more recent or useful.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
For the boss fight with the tiger BT you guys know you can also set mama down inside the entrance to her lab and just proceed to fight. The tar wont get to her when she's inside the entrance

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Shams not the right word really, because you're right that it's mostly real....it's just very expertly "edited" and nudged in subtle hidden ways to the point where it trades off being a true mp "system" (where you could like, have your actual PSN friends coordinating together), in favor of...actually working in a satisfying way.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It reminds me of that BBC documentary from when the game was going gold where Kojima says the strand/mp philosophy was to impart the feeling of a community and the sense that there's a lot of people out there just like you. It's probably a little more than a happy coincidence that this precludes something like direct coordination between actual PSN friends, but it totally works.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Shams not the right word really, because you're right that it's mostly real....it's just very expertly "edited" and nudged in subtle hidden ways to the point where it trades off being a true mp "system" (where you could like, have your actual PSN friends coordinating together), in favor of...actually working in a satisfying way.

It would work better if you could curate it better, things like being able to see the owners of structures all at once on the map instead of having to hover over them, that way you can actually suss out who is building generally helpful stuff you want to keep so you can make a Contract with them, or being able to refresh the structures on your maps with new ones after you've changed or added Contracts. Or just an easier way to delete stuff you don't want like being able to select a bunch of stuff and delete it all at once instead of one by one. There's just not enough control or intuitive means of interacting with the system and just letting it passively do its thing inevitably leads to a map full of useless junk, so you have to use round about methods like what I outlined to get the most use out of it.

Then of course it seems like what spawns is on some level decided by what's more liked so it can still plop in those obtuse buildings that just suck.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If the game has a good behind the scenes system for not populating stuff that's been untouched for a while or has been deleted a lot I bet someone buying this like 2-3 months after release is going to have a really incredible bunch of strand structures.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Almost all of my really well placed ziplines are sitting there with zero likes, I have no idea what determines whether something gets placed into other people’s games.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ziplines that are in-between stops that no one actually gets off at are just naturally never going to get likes because you don't even get a prompt to do it in the 3 seconds you spend there anyway. The only ones of mine I ever see with likes are right outside prepper shelters.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If the game has a good behind the scenes system for not populating stuff that's been untouched for a while or has been deleted a lot I bet someone buying this like 2-3 months after release is going to have a really incredible bunch of strand structures.

I have stuff that I placed on release day only just NOW falling into ruin and still have like 15% to go. Once a lot of the post release stuff rots away, there's definitely going to be a lot more buildings from two weeks or so after release that were placed when players started to know what they were doing.

On the other hand this game, while having given me dozens of hours of playtime, isn't really one that inspires longterm play once you've beaten and Platinumed it, so I'm wondering how barren the world is going to end up being in a few months, or honestly even a month from now; once all the launch window crowd finishes it up and moves onto something else.

I've thought about doing an offline run where I rely only on my own structures, it'd likely feel a lot lonelier but my absolute favorite part of this game is the feeling of being a pathfinder and setting up routes by learning the terrain and geography and creating efficient routes. Doing that from the ground up could be entertaining (though very possibly tedious) and introduce an actual need to consider your chiral bandwidth to a greater degree. I haven't built a single safehouse of my own in my playthrough for example, had no need to, which of course is great for more ziplines since safe houses take a whopping 2500 bandwidth or so.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ziplines that are in-between stops that no one actually gets off at are just naturally never going to get likes because you don't even get a prompt to do it in the 3 seconds you spend there anyway. The only ones of mine I ever see with likes are right outside prepper shelters.

Eh the online ones in my game are on top of random mountains and have thousands of likes. Some of them even have lovely “one side of a hillcrest” placement. My highest liked one is outside the Doctor’s house and has like 500. I only have a few that have any likes at all out of the several dozen I’ve placed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It really sucked that despite 75% of my friend list playing this game, I didn't see any of my friends' structures

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You get likes for someone using them alone which is reliant upon your Bridge Link level as to how much you receive, the issue is that a lot of players have their bandwidth allocated for other player's structures eaten up as they connect locations to the network before they even reach the point you get ziplines. I didn't even start Chapter 4 proper until I had finished the whole highway from Lake to South.

So unless someone tears down a ton of structures in their game after they unlock zips, your zips likely just aren't appearing in many people's games at all, and since a lot of people don't bother to do that or often just don't know they can do it from the map screen period, they just make due with what they get which is a bunch of early game crap strewn around.

I think the biggest example of this in action was that I spent around 20 hours maxing out all the relations on the first map before even finishing Chapter 3, and of course all the structures were just early game stuff then. When I went back around 30 hours of playtime later to set up zips to get some Legend of Legends rankings, it was still all the same early game poo poo with maybe one or two zips and a single safehouse placed on the map, only after I deleted all the early game junk and pointless bridges did Timefall Shelters, Zips and more Safe Houses show up. The game never explains to you that there's a bandwidth pool that exists for other players and that if you want new structures you have to free it up, a value of which, if course, you can't even track.

Most people just aren't going to do that for good reason, it's tedious and feels like a lot of effort just to get another random glut of buildings chucked at you that still might not be that great. I don't have a problem with the system in and of itself, it's just that you can't rely on other people doing the necessary steps to make your structures show up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

40 hours in and I have not touched the Contracts page at all... I probably should go do that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's not that tedious, you can delete online stuff from the map by just holding Triangle

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

precision posted:

It's not that tedious, you can delete online stuff from the map by just holding Triangle

You have to hold the button down for two or three seconds and then go over the map deleting an asston of things one by one, not to mention zooming in and scanning the map for what you want to delete. So many post boxes alone. It is pretty tedious, like I said they should have added the ability to select multiple structures and delete them all at once.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just making sure you weren't physically going to every structure. Now that would be tedious

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really just would like a way to filter map icons. That "X player has delivered your cargo" popup message will not go away until you actually go to the facility/PCC/portable safehouse with an exclamation mark and pick it up/recycle it. The problem is that by the endgame there's so many structures covering the map that you can't really see the one with the tiny ! above it. For that reason I'd love a menu to set it to only show my structures, only show online structures, and show no structures.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the map is way too cluttered and it's crazy that there's no filter options

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CJacobs posted:

I really just would like a way to filter map icons. That "X player has delivered your cargo" popup message will not go away until you actually go to the facility/PCC/portable safehouse with an exclamation mark and pick it up/recycle it. The problem is that by the endgame there's so many structures covering the map that you can't really see the one with the tiny ! above it. For that reason I'd love a menu to set it to only show my structures, only show online structures, and show no structures.

There could be more filters in general, the map is so stuffed with icons and so few means of being able to limit them to what you may need to see at any given moment.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Once you're on the network, you're overloaded with information... hmm

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Once you're on the network, you're overloaded with information... hmm

Zipline dead ends are like when you look up how to do something online and all you get are forum links from the early 2000s where the OP says "EDIT: Never mind, figured it out :)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I was listening to the Desert Oracle Radio podcast and I found out that the word guitar comes from Sanscrit.

Tar means strand. :wow: