Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the /r/fatestaynight subreddit's "official viewing order" tells people to go 2006 -> UBW -> HF movies -> Zero and i want to grab whoever did that by the throat and scream at them until i cannot scream anymore

2006 is just complete flaming dogshit and watching the HF movies before Zero is a super loving bad idea if you're not already pretty deep into this poo poo

e: like, I get the "hold off Zero until after HF" thing for the VN but the movies are 100% assuming you've already seen Zero
wait, are they really? the VN route certainly didn't, since it was obviously written long before Zero. I find it difficult to imagine them introducing that kind of dependence into the adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They really arent assuming youve seen zero. They added a couple callbacks and thats about it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There's no great viewing order that can preserve the experience of playing through the three routes except through the medium of anime.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, there are quite a lot of things that HF movies just kinda throw at the viewer and then quickly move on without really explaining or elaborating on them (Sakura and Rin being siblings is an example off the top of my head), where it's clear that it's kinda assumed that the audience already knows all about them. It does not make watching movies impossible without seeing F/Z and UBW before, but there will be a lot of things that will feel really undeveloped and a lot of big, significant moments will feel less impactful. Also HF true end is a pretty concrete and fulfilling conclusion of the entire "main" Fate franchise (unless they decide to adapt Fate/Hollow Atraxia, of course), so recommending to watch Fate/Zero after it just feels wrong.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I haven't seen any of the adaptations, but I would think Fate would lose a lot of its early tension if you already knew how the universe worked and the nature of the killing game. I dunno if the Fate anime starts as slow as the VN does, but the VN definitely counts on the mystery elements to keep you hooked while it lays everything out.

Edit: Post-FGO though I guess I kinda assumed that most newcomers would be spoiled on almost everything before they got to FSN in any form. A lot of people probably also followed the Ufotable adaptations and got in with Zero and then went straight to UBW.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 5, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lt. Lizard posted:

Eh, there are quite a lot of things that HF movies just kinda throw at the viewer and then quickly move on without really explaining or elaborating on them (Sakura and Rin being siblings is an example off the top of my head), where it's clear that it's kinda assumed that the audience already knows all about them. It does not make watching movies impossible without seeing F/Z and UBW before, but there will be a lot of things that will feel really undeveloped and a lot of big, significant moments will feel less impactful. Also HF true end is a pretty concrete and fulfilling conclusion of the entire "main" Fate franchise (unless they decide to adapt Fate/Hollow Atraxia, of course), so recommending to watch Fate/Zero after it just feels wrong.

this, pretty much

the three main things that, ordinarily, Zero spoils from HF are the Rin and Sakura sibling relationship, Kirei's whole deal, and the specifics of what's happening to Sakura

the Sakura stuff all gets kind of blown through at the church scene, which means not very much time gets spent on the reveal that she and Rin are siblings, and an anime-only viewer who's holding off Zero would be totally loving lost on what her general deal is for 1.5 movies

meanwhile, i don't really remember if we got much Kirei in the first two-thirds of the VN route but i know we got close to none in the first two movies, and i suspect this is partly because Zero already pretty much explains what his deal is and a lot of the stuff about him in HF is now a little redundant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nobody should ever watch fate/zero, for any reason, in any order

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fate/Zero is good, but it should be a followup to FSN because it spoils almost every twist.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
2006 should be watched for the opening.

That's all I got

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think there are some things to like in FSN 2006. It has some nice music tracks, it brought in the voice cast, Archer vs. Heracles is kind of cool, and I think the date with Saber episode is probably an improvement over the VN tbh.

Otherwise yeah its pretty heavily flawed.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Fate Zero is insanely good just not as good as UBW or Hf.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Fate/Zero is a very pretty series with a few good characters a lot of bad characters and an ending that makes me actively angry

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Fate Zero is the Breaking Bad of Fate.

In that its really bad and for men with no taste :kheldragar:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Snooze Cruise posted:

Also both presented a deliberately flawed and broken man who's ultimate destruction is the result of his own need to be a Big Man who is promptly misunderstood and rendered as just a "badass" in a large chunk of the fanbase.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Snooze Cruise posted:

So basically fate

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Dr Pepper posted:

Also both presented a deliberately flawed and broken man who's ultimate destruction is the result of his own need to be a Big Man who is promptly misunderstood and rendered as just a "badass" in a large chunk of the fanbase.

Everyone who presented Kerry as cool and right makes me go, "You really wanna live like this bitch?"

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Tae posted:

So basically fate
no

Blockhouse posted:

I think Fate/Zero is a very pretty series with a few good characters a lot of bad characters and an ending that makes me actively angry
If you have the time and energy, could you explain why the good characters are good, the bad characters are bad, and the ending makes you angry? This isn't a callout or anything; I just think the discourse on Fate/Zero might improve if people stopped vagueposting

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like Fate ero

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Skylar had a thousand times the agency of any of the women characters in fz.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

would the ideal f/sn anime adaptation have some harrison ford rear end blade runner monologues

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

I like Fate ero

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Rody One Half posted:

I like Fate ero

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i want to marry leonardo da vinci

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Compendium posted:

Everyone who presented Kerry as cool and right makes me go, "You really wanna live like this bitch?"

tbh a lot of why i like Kiri is because of this

he's a character who's basically correct in his ideology, and yet the effects of living up to that ideology mean he's someone who nobody in their right loving mind would ever want to emulate

e: also, seconding that this discourse would probably be better if people actually stated more concrete things than "Zero bad" or "Zero good"

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 6, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just because he's right, doesn't mean he's correct!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
he's also a lot easier to swallow because he's not the only protagonist of F/Z, he and Arturia basically split that duty with Waver and Iskander.

and the other three of those people are inarguably super likable

like if you don't love Waver and Iskander you're loving straight up wrong, and... i don't know, i'm kind of torn on Arturia in Zero as a whole, because like, her arc is pretty depressing (because it has to set the table for her being all hosed up over the situation in FSN), but she gets a lot of really fantastic individual moments and interactions. the convo with her, Iskander and Gil is just a completely fantastic scene, and i kinda love the subplot with her and Diarmuid even if it's yet another Saber Gets hosed Over Again because they're really fun together before poo poo goes bad and, when poo poo does go bad, Diarmuid's death scene might honest to god be the most :black101: way I have ever seen somebody die in fiction like holy god drat Diarmuid :stare:

also i just kinda love how weirdly intricate F/Z is like that. it really manages to sell the Fourth HGW as just being a giant unbelievable clusterfuck, and it does so without really shafting anyone because everyone's bullshit ends up enmeshed with everyone else's bullshit and it just becomes a gigantic bullshit circus of hosed up broken people taking out their trauma on each other. and that kind of owns.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just because he's right, doesn't mean he's correct!

more or less, yeah, actually

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like Type Moon food conversation cause goddamn they really get into it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd like to see the Third Grail War because the snippets we see of it in Hollow Ataraxia are interesting.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/MiyataiKazumi/status/1202594318608809986

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
30-year-old Rin gonna speak to the Tower's manager

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I mean, I like Kerry too, but he is in fact a bitch

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

he's also a lot easier to swallow because he's not the only protagonist of F/Z, he and Arturia basically split that duty with Waver and Iskander.

and the other three of those people are inarguably super likable

like if you don't love Waver and Iskander you're loving straight up wrong, and... i don't know, i'm kind of torn on Arturia in Zero as a whole, because like, her arc is pretty depressing (because it has to set the table for her being all hosed up over the situation in FSN), but she gets a lot of really fantastic individual moments and interactions. the convo with her, Iskander and Gil is just a completely fantastic scene, and i kinda love the subplot with her and Diarmuid even if it's yet another Saber Gets hosed Over Again because they're really fun together before poo poo goes bad and, when poo poo does go bad, Diarmuid's death scene might honest to god be the most :black101: way I have ever seen somebody die in fiction like holy god drat Diarmuid :stare:

also i just kinda love how weirdly intricate F/Z is like that. it really manages to sell the Fourth HGW as just being a giant unbelievable clusterfuck, and it does so without really shafting anyone because everyone's bullshit ends up enmeshed with everyone else's bullshit and it just becomes a gigantic bullshit circus of hosed up broken people taking out their trauma on each other. and that kind of owns.

more or less, yeah, actually

That's a really weird way of writing 'slobbers over the dick of the genocidal tyrant and the dictator who wants to go to war with the world to take it over while taking a massive dump on Saber's character'.

It also started the Gilgamesh apologism that Fate descended into.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKirbs posted:

It also started the Gilgamesh apologism that Fate descended into.

Haha. What? That’s quite the take. Care to explain? My recollection is Gilgamesh being just as sociopathic in F/Z if not slightly more charismatic about it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Saber definitely has a bad time in FZ but it seems consistent with what she says and how she acts in the Fate route. The way she describes it in FSN puts quite a few limits on what she can do in fact.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fate doesn't really engage in Apologia for Gilgamesh, it just replaces him with a completely different character after FSN and FZ who isn't totally psychotic.

Like CasGil and Kogil being different, fine, but Solomon has ArcherGil giving loving heroic speeches lol

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's like you people forget Gilgamesh is canonically Chaotic Good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheKirbs posted:

That's a really weird way of writing 'slobbers over the dick of the genocidal tyrant and the dictator who wants to go to war with the world to take it over while taking a massive dump on Saber's character'.

i think you're mistaking those two characters being more confident in their ideologies than Arturia, for the show actually agreeing with them.

the primary theme of that whole ideological conflict is that Gil and Iskander successfully shed their humanity to become kings, whereas Arturia has a constant tension between her still-existing humanity and her status. Iskander and Gil think she's a big dumb idiot bitch for this, but the reality is that this makes her a better king than them even if the idea of being both a monarch and a human being is bugfuck crazy and incomprehensible to them.

it's not an accident that the conversation comes back during her fight with Lancelot, who dies giving her these words:

quote:

I was never able to stop myself from loving Guinevere, so I was never able to forgive myself. However, King Arthur, you never questioned me for my crimes. You never sought recompense. You simply continued to stand before us in your righteousness. But I desired judgment at your hands. Had your anger judged me, I might not have fallen onto the path of madness in my search for atonement, but I can say this much with certainty. King Arthur, you are certainly the greatest among Kings. All who followed you thought such.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the primary theme of that whole ideological conflict is that Gil and Iskander successfully shed their humanity to become kings, whereas Arturia has a constant tension between her still-existing humanity and her status. Iskander and Gil think she's a big dumb idiot bitch for this, but the reality is that this makes her a better king than them even if the idea of being both a monarch and a human being is bugfuck crazy and incomprehensible to them.

It's genuinely impressive to me that people can miss this when every time Arturia's "perfect king" status comes up, it's very blatant that nothing good came out of it. What did she get out of it? A daughter that despises her (and loves her, confused kid). Her ally going insane. Her kingdom getting destroyed by a rebellion specifically against her. Having to relive the very moment where she should've died over and over, only to get brisked into yet another war. A horrible lack of self-worth because she feels she failed everyone and should've never been king in the first place, leading to the previous point.

Arturia being human brings her happiness and bonds. Arturia being a king brings her despair and hatred from those around her.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just in case you didn't get it in zero they made a whole singularity about it where she really IS all king no human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Iskandar is a greedy conqueror but he was someone who brought out hope and inspiration in his men, literally and metaphorically broadening his horizons and helped Waver become who he is today.

Gilgamesh is a pompous rear end in a top hat, but he can back up what he says and as the Babylonia anime shows, is absolutely capable of being a monarch who understands his people's needs and looks out for their well being.

And so

Rody One Half posted:

Just in case you didn't get it in zero they made a whole singularity about it where she really IS all king no human

We're gonna get some wholeass movies about it too :getin:

Compendium fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 6, 2019