Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
I was eyeing the Kladruber, but having no gold due to becoming a Collector and a Bounty Hunter (and spending the rest on things that make me look cool), I had to find an alternative, so I ended up buying myself a Turkoman instead. She's big, she's fast, she's tanky. Such a good horse. The only times she's bucked me have been when I've taken too long to kill off a wolf pack, and that one time when a grizzly and a cougar decided to double-team me. Yesterday, I had a cougar circling me for 30-40 seconds while my brother tried to lasso it (I told him it couldn't be done, but he had to check for himself), and the horse limited herself to whining a bit about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

protip for new RDO players (apologies if this is common knowledge): not only can you use bushes to hide from lawmen (as you can in single player), you can also use them to hide from players in online.

The tobacco fields outside st denis are a great place to lure people into.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

The tobacco fields outside st denis are a great place to lure people into.

meant to mention, wear green if you really want to gently caress with people while doing this and make your own little fin de siecle vietnam

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Are the bonuses and stuff you get in the Special Edition worth it?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Are the bonuses and stuff you get in the Special Edition worth it?

If you are looking at it from the RDO side, you're better off spending that on gold.

In story, it's hardly noticeable.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

If you are looking at it from the RDO side, you're better off spending that on gold.

In story, it's hardly noticeable.

Thanks. Standard it is!

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks. Standard it is!

They keep offering more bonuses to Online for Ultimate owners - but really, spending $20 on 55 gold bars instead is a WAY better deal.

The discounts, mid tier horse, and bonuses are hardly worth it in story. Money is not really an issue in story.

Edit: And yes I'm a fat whale and spent $100 and it was dumb and not worth it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Vichan posted:

This might take a while...

My CPU meets the minimum specs but not the recommended specs so I hope I'll be able to run this at a decent framerate.

I know it needs 150 gb of space but what is the download?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Near Volumetric Lighting at Low and Water Physics on the lowest settings will help you tremendously. I also have my render resolution at 0.8. These are all in the advanced settings and will make sense once you see them. Don't settle for anything less than Ultra textures.

I'm curious as to what water physics actually does and just how noticeable it is when you lower it cause drat it's a hog but I love riding my horse along river banks so anything that makes water look or act worse would be no bueno.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jippa posted:

I know it needs 150 gb of space but what is the download?

Around 107 GB I think

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Deakul posted:

I'm curious as to what water physics actually does and just how noticeable it is when you lower it cause drat it's a hog but I love riding my horse along river banks so anything that makes water look or act worse would be no bueno.

In my opinion when the physics are set to high it makes the water look worse. The surface tension seems super unrealistic, more akin to something like a big blob of oil. The biggest thing you're missing out on with higher water physics is a rippling effect when you shoot the water.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are PC versions cross compatible? I figured they would be since it's all going through the launcher but figured I'd ask if I could play with my friend who bought it through R* directly while I'm on Steam.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Camp bugs are seriously putting a damper on my enjoyment of the trader role. :sigh:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

explosivo posted:

Are PC versions cross compatible? I figured they would be since it's all going through the launcher but figured I'd ask if I could play with my friend who bought it through R* directly while I'm on Steam.

I think Stadia has its own network, otherwise you're good to go

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think Stadia has its own network, otherwise you're good to go

Nobody cares about Stadia :v:

Thanks!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Vichan posted:

This might take a while...

My CPU meets the minimum specs but not the recommended specs so I hope I'll be able to run this at a decent framerate.

Fidelity wise, as long as you keep textures on ultra, which is mostly a video memory thing, you can get away with turning down a lot of settings and still have it look really good. TAA is almost a necessity though, otherwise foliage will look strange. If you have an nvidia card you can apply a sharpen filter for 50% to negate the blur it creates for minimal performance impact.

Deakul posted:

It's stricly actual water simulation physics - displacement and waves and ripples as the water flow and objects interact. Makes more realistic wakes as you walk through water, longer waves and more secondary wave interactions and such. It's neat looking but really not worth the absolutely massive impact it has.

Reflection and refraction do much more with regard to making it look nice and realistic. Refraction for clear vs muddier-looking water especially.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 5, 2019

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
If you want to :stonk: at water physics, go find a dog out in the rain and wait for it to shake itself - saw this once at Van Horn and was "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that was cool".

If you want to curse at the environment, be coming back from Ice Station Yeehaw way up north just around sunrise, hitting the Wolf Country boundary - and having sun-glare fog so bad that you have like ten feet of visibility. *That* was nerve-wracking - IIRC I was doing it with a Legendary Fish on Roach, not to mention a bunch of venison- and wolf-skins to boot, and I *really* wanted to not get dogpiled.

Haven't run into a really thick fog in Night Folk territory, though, which is where I really expected it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

In my opinion when the physics are set to high it makes the water look worse. The surface tension seems super unrealistic, more akin to something like a big blob of oil. The biggest thing you're missing out on with higher water physics is a rippling effect when you shoot the water.

I keep meaning to change my water physics to medium. I've been playing on super high settings in the story comfortably with around 45 to 60 fps but online seems to make the frame rate tank a bit more. I know there's like 4 or 5 settings that do the most to hamper frame rate, I just gotta remember where I saw the guide that highlighted which ones.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CascadeBeta posted:

I keep meaning to change my water physics to medium. I've been playing on super high settings in the story comfortably with around 45 to 60 fps but online seems to make the frame rate tank a bit more. I know there's like 4 or 5 settings that do the most to hamper frame rate, I just gotta remember where I saw the guide that highlighted which ones.

After much experimentation, its Water Physics, Near Volumetric Lighting, and Grass Shadows that seem to have the most effect.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

After much experimentation, its Water Physics, Near Volumetric Lighting, and Grass Shadows that seem to have the most effect.

I'll have to check grass shadows as well. That could be either medium or high. I know my near volumetric is already at medium.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well one neat thing about Online is that you can change the graphics in the menu and as long as it doesnt require a restart, you can see the immediate effect if you have an FPS counter going. I use the nvidia overlay to see my FPS update in real time. I'd suggest attempting Low for the Near Volumetric Lighting, just to try it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Well one neat thing about Online is that you can change the graphics in the menu and as long as it doesnt require a restart, you can see the immediate effect if you have an FPS counter going. I use the nvidia overlay to see my FPS update in real time.

:eyepop: That'll be a super easy way to test appearance vs fps loss. Thanks for letting me know.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Photo mode... :allears:

Thanks to everyone for helping out with graphics settings, it runs like a charm.

LordOfWar
Feb 23, 2007
YOU ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!!
do we have RDR2 discord?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

got griefed for the first time, by some red dot british guy who somehow kept getting madder and madder thinking i was in defensive mode (i specifically turned it off just to have some pvp action) and hearing his frantic button pressing as he talked poo poo was hilarious

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game seems great so far, I just reached the first camp and have had no issues. The framerate tweaks posted a few pages back really work well and the game is still goddamn gorgeous, I'm usually getting somewhere between 40-60 fps on a 1070 so I really can't complain.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked before (possibly many times) but my rockstar account says I don't own this game (just bought it on steam) and scanning for it doesn't work. Already updated bios and graphics card and let everything through my antivirus/firewall etc (and tried with them disabled entirely). It does let me access LA Noire on steam though, which I've had for a while

edit: nevermind, needed to start steam as an admin, and then unplug my ps4 controller from my pc. $200 million dollar game etc

Pb and Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 6, 2019

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Re: earlier connection issues. No luck yet, and I don’t feel good about it. I’m pursuing rockstar support but we’ll see.

I also ran into my first annoying “griefer” hanging around one of the desert towns. Level 144 and extremely clutch with the volcanic or the rolling block. I killed him once with incendiaries on the pump action so I feel decent considering I’m level 14.

Made $25 in poker!

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Just poppin in to say that holy poo poo going on trader runs with a barter gang of 6-7 people is like the most satisfying poo poo ever. Other players panic and run from us, the rare occasions people attack us we just bury them repeatedly. We had someone the other night go JEEZE STOP UGH GO AWAY but he started the fight so :shrug:

Cowboy game fun with pals. Most fun I've had in multi in eons.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Just poppin in to say that holy poo poo going on trader runs with a barter gang of 6-7 people is like the most satisfying poo poo ever. Other players panic and run from us, the rare occasions people attack us we just bury them repeatedly. We had someone the other night go JEEZE STOP UGH GO AWAY but he started the fight so :shrug:

Cowboy game fun with pals. Most fun I've had in multi in eons.

We've had a few occasions where our goon posses make up about half of the session population. That's always fun too.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Are perma posses the "clan" / guild equivalent in RDO? I havent actually tried to join on someone in RDO yet but in GTA:O it was always a pain in the rear end since you could get split up into different sessions after each freeroam event.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Kinda? Permanent posses only reform if the leader is online. But if you have a group of people who are consistently on, especially one guy who can be leader, they function sorta like a clan. It's much more ad hoc than a traditional MMO guild.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Red Dead Online, PC, mouse and keyboard:

is there a simple way to say "howdy" to someone else in the world? There is a roughly 3-step sequence to emote a wave that does not include a vocal hello.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
yeah, press your push to talk, wipe the sweat off your brow and utter a friendly but polite 'hello' to a fellow human in the mic for the first time in your life

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just got this on PC now that it's out on steam, installing now, what do I need to know lads

I played the beta for roughly a week in the beginning on PS4, I'm reading about like the roles right now. How good is the pubstomping

e: do we have a discord set up for this already or are we just meeting up in the goon GTA one

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 6, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

yeah, press your push to talk, wipe the sweat off your brow and utter a friendly but polite 'hello' to a fellow human in the mic for the first time in your life

It’s a very friendly community I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Agreed, PC community has been almost universally pleasant. Except for everyone in Free Roam missions, everyone in those can go gently caress themselves.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zigmidge posted:

Just keep repeating "howdy pardner" to everyone until you run into someone that doesn't take kindly to being greeted and are forced into a showdown.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I tend to nod when close and wave when far. Just be careful not to accidentally pull out your gun or they might get jumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Just popping in to say that the Steam version installed and booted up on my PC without issue. Played for about an hour or so last night before going to bed with no problem at all except a not-quite-optimal framerate using a 970 with no graphical tweaking.