Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm finally playing the much maligned but actually pretty great Just Cause 4.

Not only is there a shiiiiiit ton of new gadgets, weapons and vehicles, Rico seems to be less of a curmudgeon this time.

Not by a huge thing but if you attach a balloon to a soldier and rocket them into space, Rico will give a cheeky "Bye-bye!"
He actually sounds like he's having fun with agency future tech that defies all phsyics and thermodynamics.

The game seems stable now and I'm having a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inzombiac posted:

Just Cause 4.

I've had a lot of fun with what I've played so far, and "second-best game with tactical balloon-launching mechanic" is nothing to sneeze at.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've had a lot of fun with what I've played so far, and "second-best game with tactical balloon-launching mechanic" is nothing to sneeze at.

I just really hope the brand can recover.
Like I said in the JC thread, there is nothing about 4 that is worse than 3 and actually improves on a lot of stuff.

I think the main issue now that that people really loved blowing up chaos objects but then bemoaned an empty map.

JC4 respawns those objects over time and treats them like flaming nuggets of points. You're meant to use them to kill soldiers with instead of blowing them up because it's on a checklist.

Doesn't seem to have remote explosives, which sucks but you can make an approximation with the tether and the pulse retractor.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
All I care about is if you get a thruster for the wingsuit without having to buy DLC. cause if you can I may just buy the game right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Death Stranding Little thing: Early on in the game there's an optional delivery side character who rewards you with a harmonica. When you're resting, you can equip it and play it to make your baby happy and get Likes (basically EXP). There's a part of the game where you have to carry someone on your back from one destination to another, and if you rest and play the harmonica during that delivery you get likes from both her and the baby. :unsmith:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

moosecow333 posted:

All I care about is if you get a thruster for the wingsuit without having to buy DLC. cause if you can I may just buy the game right now.

I think I comes with the deluxe version, unfortunately.
Though all the DLC should be alacarte so maybe you can get it for a few bucks.

Using the thrusters disables leaderboards but only while actually thrusting. You don't have to constantly un-and-re-equip them.

Plus they get missiles :getin:

The DLC overall is pretty fun but remove all challenge from the early game. Not so much when later you get swarmed with drones and microjets and those FUCKERS WITH SHIELDS.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Having no Just Cause with built in co op is basically the greatest troll any video game has ever pulled.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Inzombiac posted:

I just really hope the brand can recover.
Like I said in the JC thread, there is nothing about 4 that is worse than 3 and actually improves on a lot of stuff.

I think the main issue now that that people really loved blowing up chaos objects but then bemoaned an empty map.

JC4 respawns those objects over time and treats them like flaming nuggets of points. You're meant to use them to kill soldiers with instead of blowing them up because it's on a checklist.

Doesn't seem to have remote explosives, which sucks but you can make an approximation with the tether and the pulse retractor.

This is the first time I've heard anything positive about 4 and it being compared favorably to 3 is a great hook as I was super into that one and couldn't stand the boring emptiness of 2.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Samuringa posted:

This is the first time I've heard anything positive about 4 and it being compared favorably to 3 is a great hook as I was super into that one and couldn't stand the boring emptiness of 2.

People (myself included) gave it a lot of earned poo poo when it first came out because it was obviously rushed for the holidays.
The cutscenes still look weird but I genuinely don't give a poo poo.

For those that fondly recall JC2 and 3:
Aside from the final missile riding mission in 2, what scripted missions do you really remember?

Most of your fond memories were how you were screwing around and made something zany happen, right?

JC4 has that in spades.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I had no real problem with it when it came out. Was a little rushed, a bit janky, but I had loads of fun.

Keep meaning to boot it back up and get a load of the expansions. Games fun yo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Part of the problem is the console versions looked like rear end when they came out. I powered through and had a blast, and they patched it to change some settings so it didn’t look terrible before too long, but it made a pretty bad first impression. I actually bought it a second time when I got my gaming laptop, and playing it on some more powerful hardware has it both look fantastic and be a blast.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OutOfPrint posted:

Disco Elysium is chock full of little things, but my favorite is pulling rank on Kim. Seriously, when given the option, do it.

I pulled it the ONE time while I was generally the nice, sorry cop. I think you can guess exactly where.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Disco Elysium has a bunch of perks (called 'thoughts' ingame) the player might never see on their first playthrough related to a ton of different niche ways you can get things done. They did a great job of making your hobocop feel like any direction you can take him is a valid interpretation of his character. Once you, the player, start acting a certain way and stick to it, nothing that aligns with how you play feels "out of character". It's really cool, a great way to do a blank-slate protagonist.

edit: For example, if you're a real starship troopers style bugstomper, you get a thought related to fascism. But it doesn't just pop up the first time, you gotta indulge it a few times before the game says "okay, if this is how you want to play then here you go", and I think that's just super cool. So many games give you perks/character traits the very first time you do something, but with Disco Elysium sometimes they wait on it until it feels like it's part of your character's personality. I saw a post where someone got this thought (it's called Revacholian Nationhood) because they had been taking these options without even realizing the implications of them, and it caused them to ditch the thought and consider what they'd done for the game to assume they wanted it.

I know a lot of people got soured on it even without playing it because it became the thing to gush about at random for a while, but for anyone on the fence I promise it really is above and beyond in terms of writing quality. It's Planescape: Torment levels of "wow, they really thought about the world they were creating here".

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Dec 6, 2019

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

A little thing about final fantasy 14: it brutally owns, and it just keeps getting better

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

GelatinSkeleton posted:

A little thing about final fantasy 14: it brutally owns, and it just keeps getting better

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCzrtS_MoRM

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inzombiac posted:

People (myself included) gave it a lot of earned poo poo when it first came out because it was obviously rushed for the holidays.
The cutscenes still look weird but I genuinely don't give a poo poo.

For those that fondly recall JC2 and 3:
Aside from the final missile riding mission in 2, what scripted missions do you really remember?

Most of your fond memories were how you were screwing around and made something zany happen, right?

JC4 has that in spades.

Did they revert back to the open world chaos thing where you don't have to kill and loot every last thing to finish a tower to unlock or progress things and instead just do strafing runs or whatever you feel like? JC3's "finish this town to finish this province to finish this continent to do this mission" loving sucked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Did they revert back to the open world chaos thing where you don't have to kill and loot every last thing to finish a tower to unlock or progress things and instead just do strafing runs or whatever you feel like? JC3's "finish this town to finish this province to finish this continent to do this mission" loving sucked.

You blow poo poo up to get chaos, get enough chaos and you unlock squads to push the front line to capture sectors. To progress, you really just need to have enough chaos to have enough squads to take over the sector (and some even GIVE you squads), and do the sector mission, which usually unlocks something cool for you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RBA Starblade posted:

Nah, not at all. They actually went so far in the other direction that people got mad.
Destructible objects are now just a way to make points (2X if you are in combat) and points give you squads for your army that can be sent to unlock territory.
It's all very natural but a good amount of people see a red object and feel like they MUST blow it up and somehow that is the games fault.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I did see Pandemonium in CEX tonight, I may get it some day. It's just £20. So not yet.

PLEASE play pandemonium 2 at some point; i have a huge soft spot for that janky piece of poo poo (enough to get the world record speedrun on it :cool: ) and would love to hear your take on it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm finally playing the much maligned but actually pretty great Just Cause 4.

Not only is there a shiiiiiit ton of new gadgets, weapons and vehicles, Rico seems to be less of a curmudgeon this time.

Not by a huge thing but if you attach a balloon to a soldier and rocket them into space, Rico will give a cheeky "Bye-bye!"
He actually sounds like he's having fun with agency future tech that defies all phsyics and thermodynamics.

I never really "got" Just Cause, only having played a bunch of 2, but I did always appreciate it when Rico took a huge sprawling fall down a cliff and then after finally reaching stable ground would stand up and just say "Sheesh." or somesuch as he dusted himself off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I never really "got" Just Cause, only having played a bunch of 2, but I did always appreciate it when Rico took a huge sprawling fall down a cliff and then after finally reaching stable ground would stand up and just say "Sheesh." or somesuch as he dusted himself off.

Love that. 4 is the only one I've played, and my first "death" was from falling a couple hundred feet off a cliff. (I survived, but got knocked for going out of mission bounds)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just Cause understands physics so if you're falling thousands of feet from an airplane you can grapple to the ground from 10 feet up and take no damage.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's stupid as poo poo but I think my favorite thing about JC2 was finding out the monster truck could float on water because of its bigass inflated wheels, so I spent ages trying to paddleboat around with it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Disco Elysium [...]
I know a lot of people got soured on it even without playing it because it became the thing to gush about at random for a while, but for anyone on the fence I promise it really is above and beyond in terms of writing quality. It's Planescape: Torment levels of "wow, they really thought about the world they were creating here".

Yeah, don't worry, I'm planning on getting it for PS4 once that comes out. After Last of Us, Control DLC, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered, Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition...

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

moosecow333 posted:

Not sure what platform you're on but it's on GamePass.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
There's only one thing that would make me want to play the new Just Cause - did they bring back the excellent car-tumbling-down-a-cliff physics from 2 complete with metal particles spraying in all directions, or is it still the same floaty unsatisfying bullshit from 3?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Unavowed is an old-school point-and-click adventure game where you play a character dealing with occult poo poo in New York. The nice thing about it is that you can die in several ways, but it's impossible to Game Over. If you die or irretrievably gently caress up, the game just fades to white and rewinds a few seconds. No needing to load a save, no "you hosed up, son" message from the game, you're just right back to playing.

For a game where you're going to be compulsively clicking on everything, it's a nice touch. It gives you a lot more moments of "Hmm, this is probably dumb, but what if I...?" And it also means you don't have to save every two minutes to protect against a bullshit death.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Unavowed is an old-school point-and-click adventure game where you play a character dealing with occult poo poo in New York. The nice thing about it is that you can die in several ways, but it's impossible to Game Over. If you die or irretrievably gently caress up, the game just fades to white and rewinds a few seconds. No needing to load a save, no "you hosed up, son" message from the game, you're just right back to playing.

For a game where you're going to be compulsively clicking on everything, it's a nice touch. It gives you a lot more moments of "Hmm, this is probably dumb, but what if I...?" And it also means you don't have to save every two minutes to protect against a bullshit death.

If I remember right, the first puzzle in the game even gives you a really obvious red herring solution (I think it's something like "Hit the eldritch abomination from beyond understanding with a lead pipe") specifically to introduce you to this.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So I was posting about my travails with the modern Tomb Raider trilogy in the other thread, but now that I've gotten started on Shadow of the Tomb Raider I think I'll be posting my rambling nonsense here for a while! The game's made a very good first impression.

In the first couple of hours it's already more vibrant than the entirety of Rise. Literally, in that while Rise had graphical prowess sure, it was mostly wasted on its snowy or murky environments. Shadow takes place in the jungles of Peru and looks fantastic for it. But also a lot of the other elements feel more lively. The facial animations are still not perfect, but they've tuned them to show a great deal of subtle emotions, which is important because this time around Jonah is playing a more overt role in the game. Lara also spends waaaay more time interacting with other people. So for as many Big Dramatic Moments With Shouting there have been, there's also multiple scenes where the nuanced animations carry the weight.

Swimming is now finally a full thing instead of the super awkward half-step it was in Rise. Lara can now climb on appropriate ceilings and rappel down + swing from climbable surfaces. Outfits have been fully integrated into the gameplay systems instead of just being a vague side thing + DLC dump. Weapon upgrades are less awkward and annoying to build towards and the game is quick to start introducing alternate types so you're not unlocking "strong single shot rifle" at an arbitrary point halfway through the game after you've already dumped tons of upgrades into your basic AR or w/e. The flow feels way less rigid now, where fast travel is unlocked incredibly fast and the game doesn't get antsy with you wanting to stray off the main path and do side stuff (and shows this effortlessly - in a section where you're working alongside Jonah he basically just goes "hey I'll wait here, you go do your Lara Croft stuff" and then when Lara returns actually asks what she found in the puzzle tomb). Talking to random people will add various collectibles to the map, incentivizing doing so and feeling more natural than always needing to hunt down yet more collectibles to find other collectibles (though these do also return).

There's a whole early section where Lara flashes back to when she was a kid and you get to do Tomb Raider stuff as itty bitty Lara and it's :3: af. As I expressed in the other thread (said flashback overlaps somewhat with stuff from Rise), I do think it's lame for her to have 100% identical interests as a child, but given where Shadow seems to be going already I think that might actually be somewhat intended, with Lara not really having a normal childhood and maybe even being a bit :spergin:. (In the present day, she seems to struggle with social situations, whereas Jonah integrates himself with ease, adding to that possibility.)

There are *some* hiccups to be sure. Traps feel like they've devolved back to 2013-style trial and error "oops Lara died horribly again" tests and in tandem with that some areas have poor conveyance. There's been a weird technical problem where the sound will skip between scenes, like it's getting interrupted as the game loads the next area, but this is while it's installed on an SSD. The actual core, inciting story premise is kinda dumb and what I thought was going to be a big reveal (the leader of Trinity) is actually blurted out like, literally five minutes into the game. There's also some inevitable weirdness just from the various small changes to iconography and UI design. And finally, the first hunt-able animal in the jungle are capybara, and it makes me sad to hurt any of those cuties. :(

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Dec 7, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Interesting...I remember thinking it was basically a "more of the same" sequel with the main improvement being the crazy fun photo editor combined with all the costumes + PS1 Lara. Will be curious whenever I revisit the series to see if I feel different.

e: that facial expression system in photo mode was the best thing ever, I spent a whole playthrough trying to get perfect smirks at every possible moment (especially the dramatic cutscenes)

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Dec 7, 2019

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

Interesting...I remember thinking it was basically a "more of the same" sequel with the main improvement being the crazy fun photo editor combined with all the costumes + PS1 Lara. Will be curious whenever I revisit the series to see if I feel different.

e: that facial expression system in photo mode was the best thing ever, I spent a whole playthrough trying to get perfect smirks at every possible moment (especially the dramatic cutscenes)

This is some quality content for sure.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

And finally, the first hunt-able animal in the jungle are capybara, and it makes me sad to hurt any of those cuties. :(

Yeah, I shot one and I was like "I cannot tell my wife what I just did."

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

gently caress, I hope I'm still in the refund window. I can't fake kill a wise capybara for loot.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

OutOfPrint posted:

gently caress, I hope I'm still in the refund window. I can't fake kill a wise capybara for loot.

You dont have to. The game doesnt do the far cry thing where each animal is a different pelt.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phy posted:

I remember when my wife walked in while I was hunting an orca in Black Flag, that was an awkward thing to explain

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Murdoch posted:

There's a whole early section where Lara flashes back to when she was a kid and you get to do Tomb Raider stuff as itty bitty Lara and it's :3: af. As I expressed in the other thread (said flashback overlaps somewhat with stuff from Rise), I do think it's lame for her to have 100% identical interests as a child, but given where Shadow seems to be going already I think that might actually be somewhat intended, with Lara not really having a normal childhood and maybe even being a bit :spergin:. (In the present day, she seems to struggle with social situations, whereas Jonah integrates himself with ease, adding to that possibility.)

Lara's just emotionally distant after two games of people trying very hard to kill her and everyone she holds dear or being betrayed by them. It's just the classic "social attachments will get people killed" isolation. She's much more social at the start of the first game, right before everything goes straight to poo poo with the shipwreck and island of insane cultists.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The first game had my favourite villain-no-so-different-from-the-hero line: "We're both survivors Lara... I've just been doing this a whole lot longer..."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh also I forgot but Shadow also finally gives Lara a version of her classic teal/turquoise top (tweaked to a more blue blue) with khaki pants outfit and it looks awesome.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Dec 7, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Retro Futurist posted:

I remember when my wife walked in while I was hunting an orca in Black Flag, that was an awkward thing to explain

Pfft. My roommate in college walked in while I was playing Persona 3

"Why did he just shoot himself in the head?"
"Because I had to catch to a guy in fire"
"Huh okay" *cracks beer and walks away*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

John Murdoch posted:

Oh also I forgot but Shadow also finally gives Lara a version of her classic teal/turquoise top (tweaked to a more blue blue) with khaki pants outfit and it looks awesome.

I just wanna say I thought it was neat in the first game to go through the entire game with a bow, and then in the final fight in a scripted event you get two pistols, and dual wield them and blast the last boss away. That was a pretty nicely constructed moment and I appreciated the effort into the setup and payoff there.