Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The sequels are bad in slightly different ways to the prequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

no, dude, no. wooden acting, awful plastic digital effects, terrible scripts, terrible plots, they're bad films. you do not have to twist yourself into knots this way just because the new ones are also bad

prequel defenders are all so beaten down that they just want to feel soething made by a human being even if its complete poo poo. their bad gaslighting posts where they insist youve been brainwashed by videos from a decade ago are howls of pain & desperation

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
just accept that mike stoklasa performed the autopsy on that terrible dead franchise ages ago, and move on

Serf
May 5, 2011

the rlm videos were bad at the time, but remain an important bit of cultural detritus that reminds us of how far we've come on what sort of humor is acceptable. jesus christ

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

serial killers reviewing movies from their basement are #cancelled

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

the rlm videos were bad at the time, but remain an important bit of cultural detritus that reminds us of how far we've come on what sort of humor is acceptable. jesus christ

oof, wow

a brutal and uncompromising self-own

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The rlm videos are pretty good at explaining why people don't like the prequels. They're pretty bad at actually analyzing them.

Just accept you don't like the prequels becaus ethey didn't live up to the hype and/or give you what you wanted and move on with your life. When someone says they like the prequels or that they'r enot that bad? Just shrug, don't go acusing them of loving gaslighting, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
prequels vs sequels is like the "bad capitalist vs. good capitalist" narrative.

better to just discard capitalism and star wars entirely.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The rlm videos are pretty good at explaining why people don't like the prequels. They're pretty bad at actually analyzing them.

Just accept you don't like the prequels becaus ethey didn't live up to the hype and/or give you what you wanted and move on with your life. When someone says they like the prequels or that they'r enot that bad? Just shrug, don't go acusing them of loving gaslighting, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

What is the internet for but arguing about pointless bullshit

Serf
May 5, 2011

oof, wow

a brutal and uncompromising self-own

yeah they're bad videos i know, but they were also done a long time ago. i don't watch their new stuff that much but it seems much better

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Gundam is the better 40 year old sci-fi merchandizing franchise, despite being anime, because at least you get Tomino's anti-war manifestos and absolutely insane poo poo like G Gundam, also After War Gundam X was good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KiteAuraan posted:

Gundam is the better 40 year old sci-fi merchandizing franchise, despite being anime, because at least you get Tomino's anti-war manifestos and absolutely insane poo poo like G Gundam, also After War Gundam X was good.

The Star Wars sequel needed a giant fleet of motorcycle battleships.

They already stole the Beam Rotors from Victory Gundam, mgiht as well steal more.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

no, dude, no. wooden acting, awful plastic digital effects, terrible scripts, terrible plots, they're bad films. you do not have to twist yourself into knots this way just because the new ones are also bad

here's a twist motherfucker: the star wars sequels? also good

the last jedi is good because it makes the argument that the prequels are good

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

can you fuckin chill out

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Last Jedi is one of the hem hawingest movies I've ever seen.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the star wars sequels are a wasteland of interesting ideas that went to die in committee. like rose tico points out that the wars lead to profits for the rich fucks in canto bight and then... ??? what?? does this notion go anywhere? dj shows finn that the same companies build weapons for both sides, and this pertinent fact is just swept aside and never thought of again

the empire is back, and this time they're going hard on the nazi imagery, but they have lady stormtroopers now so yay feminism, i guess? girl power?

its just a painful cash-in on the franchise that should have been left to just die (one of the mangled themes of tlj that they did their best to excise completely)

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Literally the only Star Wars film that doesn't have whack as gently caress pacing is Empire Strikes Back. All of the others have some fuckey editing/pacing issue(s). They of course exist on a spectrum, so like, Episode I is the worst because it has 35 minutes worth of actual content, while Episode IV is slow to start and meandering but recovers the landing. And Episode VI has that whole Ewok Adventure loving up the film's pace.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Serf posted:

the star wars sequels are a wasteland of interesting ideas that went to die in committee. like rose tico points out that the wars lead to profits for the rich fucks in canto bight and then... ??? what?? does this notion go anywhere? dj shows finn that the same companies build weapons for both sides, and this pertinent fact is just swept aside and never thought of again

the point of canto bight is that it's basically tatooine from episode I, except instead of the two jedis watching greed and corruption and slavery and doing nothing but taking the one kid, it's a janitor and a mechanic with a sense of right and wrong so they bring it all crashing down

Serf
May 5, 2011

ElNarez posted:

the point of canto bight is that it's basically tatooine from episode I, except instead of the two jedis watching greed and corruption and slavery and doing nothing but taking the one kid, it's a janitor and a mechanic with a sense of right and wrong so they bring it all crashing down

except that at the end of the movie the slaves are still slaves and the cops hunted down all the racing beasts and recaptured them

as much as i liked the visuals of canto bight, it absolutely does not fit with the rest of the film

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ElNarez posted:

The Jedi free one child slave; the new guys free zero child slaves while patting themselves on the back for causing a disruption that will likely require a 6-8 hour cleanup.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my radical centrist opinion of the prequels is that the apologist interpretation of their plot is probably the correct one but theyre still bad movies because they do such a terrible job explaining them like everything count dooku says in episode two to obi wan is a completely accurate assessment of whats actually happening but the movie frames that scene like hes giving a devious villain speech and does gently caress all with him until he gets merced like a chump at the beginning of episode three so good luck figuring out what his motivation was without reading a tie in novel or something

the sequels by contrast have so little thought put into them in regards to the worldbuilding that the only theories with any pretense of logical consistency are the dumbest ones like i think the best explanation for where the first order came from at this point is that theyre actually just the regular military of the republic and leias throwing a hissy fit because she lost an election the movies have been so consistently vague on basic questions like this i fully expect the third one wont contradict that theory either

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

Gundam is bad too and its anti-war messaging regularly crosses over the line into pacifism, which relies on super powered teenagers who can magically neutralize military power without having to kill anyone. Some Gundam is good but then so is some Star Wars.

Some Guy TT posted:

my radical centrist opinion of the prequels is that the apologist interpretation of their plot is probably the correct one but theyre still bad movies because they do such a terrible job explaining them like everything count dooku says in episode two to obi wan is a completely accurate assessment of whats actually happening but the movie frames that scene like hes giving a devious villain speech and does gently caress all with him until he gets merced like a chump at the beginning of episode three so good luck figuring out what his motivation was without reading a tie in novel or something

the sequels by contrast have so little thought put into them in regards to the worldbuilding that the only theories with any pretense of logical consistency are the dumbest ones like i think the best explanation for where the first order came from at this point is that theyre actually just the regular military of the republic and leias throwing a hissy fit because she lost an election the movies have been so consistently vague on basic questions like this i fully expect the third one wont contradict that theory either

The prequels have artistic value even if they're bad art, but nobody's gonna remember the Disney movies in another 10 years.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Dec 6, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

count dooku is bad because he's a count and his name is dooku. there's really only one way your life goes with names like palpatine and grievous. also, the fact that nute gunray and lott dod are craven capitalists referencing newt gingrich/ronald reagan and trent lott is pretty fun

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

KiteAuraan posted:

Literally the only Star Wars film that doesn't have whack as gently caress pacing is Empire Strikes Back. All of the others have some fuckey editing/pacing issue(s). They of course exist on a spectrum, so like, Episode I is the worst because it has 35 minutes worth of actual content, while Episode IV is slow to start and meandering but recovers the landing. And Episode VI has that whole Ewok Adventure loving up the film's pace.

Empire was the movie where Lucas had the least control over during filming because Kershner kept a tight grip on the reins during production, which led to a solid, coherent picture. Lucas approaches filmmaking as an editor and so he concentrates almost exclusively on getting as much material as he can (from a distance), then goes back with sfx and editing to make the movie he wants, hence A New Hope (Lucas directed). After having his vision pushed back against during the filming of Empire (and Fox complaining that the dour tone of Empire led to a harder to market product) Lucas went looking for a fanboy director that A) knew nothing about fx and B) wouldn’t buck when Lucas micromanaged him. He just wanted someone competent and obedient to do the boring work of getting him the footage he needed so that he could make his movie out of it in post. Marquand did what he was told, a movie was made, toys sold, the end...?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

And related to his directorial style, his writing style is “be bad at it”, which helps nothing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

my favorite bit of background on the prequels is that lucas had no interest in directing them, and he asked basically all his friends to do it and they, rightly, told him that it would be a career disaster to try and do more star wars. but the funny part is that he asked david lynch and its so loving funny to imagine the lynchian star wars movies

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Serf posted:

my favorite bit of background on the prequels is that lucas had no interest in directing them, and he asked basically all his friends to do it and they, rightly, told him that it would be a career disaster to try and do more star wars. but the funny part is that he asked david lynch and its so loving funny to imagine the lynchian star wars movies

That just Dune

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I mean a bad boy into tricked out cars and bikes (Anakin) who gets into an affair with an older woman (Padme) is Lynchian in spirit at least.

Serf
May 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

That just Dune

exactly. we were robbed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Together Forever would’ve done a lot better than Anakin’s opinions on sand

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Serf posted:

He asked Lynch to direct Return of the Jedi

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the prequels and the sequels both rely on palpatine being a clairvoyant mastermind super-planner who had everything go exactly right in order to succeed, and they somehow magically do. it's the worst loving poo poo ever and it's just embarassing to pretend either of those trilogies have any redeeming value

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

General Dog posted:

He asked Lynch to direct Return of the Jedi

Cronenberg too. I think he was asking anyone young and not in the directors guild and after none of them bit he settled for the directorial equivalent of Gerald Ford.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Cronenberg too. I think he was asking anyone young and not in the directors guild and after none of them bit he settled for the directorial equivalent of Gerald Ford.

Specifically, Simpsons Gerald Ford.

E

MARQUAND: do you like laser swords?
LUCAS: I love laser swords!
MARQUAND: do you like poorly realized metaphors for the Vietnam war?
LUCAS: I do!
MARQUAND: then how about you come around to my set and watch some laser swords and a poorly realized metaphor for the Vietnam war?

EE: dangit, ya beat me

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Dec 6, 2019

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

mysterious frankie posted:

Specifically, Simpsons Gerald Ford.

"Homer, do you like Ewoks?"
"Do you like Jabba?"
"Then lets go over to my film set and put Ewoks and Jabba in Star Wars."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

the prequels and the sequels both rely on palpatine being a clairvoyant mastermind super-planner who had everything go exactly right in order to succeed, and they somehow magically do. it's the worst loving poo poo ever and it's just embarassing to pretend either of those trilogies have any redeeming value

If you ignore a lot of dumb EU stuff, prequel Palpatine can just be read as a great opportunist. Since he was the power behind both sides in the Clone Wars, it could be seen as a "heads I win, tails you lose" scenario. He didn't meticulously manufacture every step of Anakin's fall, he just identified him early on as a tremendously powerful, frustrated young man and pulled his strings better than the Jedi could.

Palpatine wasn't the architect of the corruption and stupidity of the Jedi and the Republic, he was the outcome of those things.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Some Guy TT posted:

i think the best explanation for where the first order came from at this point is that theyre actually just the regular military of the republic and leias throwing a hissy fit because she lost an election the movies have been so consistently vague on basic questions like this i fully expect the third one wont contradict that theory either

i like that enough to take it as the truth, as that's way more interesting than what's actually been explained so far

General Dog posted:

If you ignore a lot of dumb EU stuff, prequel Palpatine can just be read as a great opportunist. Since he was the power behind both sides in the Clone Wars, it could be seen as a "heads I win, tails you lose" scenario. He didn't meticulously manufacture every step of Anakin's fall, he just identified him early on as a tremendously powerful, frustrated young man and pulled his strings better than the Jedi could.

palpatine as steve banon is an interesting take that i will also accept as true

Serf
May 5, 2011

everything in the eu that isn't kotor 1 and 2 should be ignored with extreme prejudice

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Serf posted:

everything in the eu that isn't the star wars holiday special should be ignored with extreme prejudice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Serf posted:

everything in the u should be ignored with extreme prejudice