Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
1v1 me in vr boxing bith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will 1v1v6 anyone in Pokerstars VR :blastu:

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I will 1v1v6 anyone in Pokerstars VR :blastu:

Is there a goon room? I don't play poker but I need to figure it out. I'm always with Laotian folk, and the table is always out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't think there is an official one, but anyone can start a private room

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

It's not niche! There are like 3 upcoming games!

gotta admit I'm a lil lmao at the fact that I just bought this drat thing and the only games anyone could name coming out were the two I already knew about

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A lot of poo poo just comes out of nowhere, because its mostly small indies doing weird stuff and not big AAAs working on multi-year long hype cycles. Even Stormlands had some trailers and stuff kicking around for awhile, but no one really seemed that hyped about it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Boneworks and Budget Cuts 2 launching on the same day seems like a bad idea though.

If only for my wallet than nothing else :shepspends:.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Leal posted:

1v1 me in vr boxing bith

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Clitch posted:

Yes, you're abrasive. You're also a condescending douche. Get hosed.

Love you too. :kiss:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Boneworks and Budget Cuts 2 launching on the same day seems like a bad idea though.

If only for my wallet than nothing else :shepspends:.

Honestly shocked anyone would want to try and launch that day with them.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is abrasiveness: the thread. We’re all heavily invested in niche tech and we will die defending our purchases goldurnit

GOD drat RIGHT SIR

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 6, 2019

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Scanning things in Red Matter makes me want a legit Metroid VR game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Budget Cuts devs seem super chill. Boneworks devs too. I really love how VR is full of chill indies right now who have a chance to make an impact because VR is still such a primitive market and AAAs are less interested.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is abrasiveness: the thread. We’re all heavily invested in niche tech and we will die defending our purchases goldurnit

The funny thing about goon abrasiveness is that like 75% of the time its just this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naleynXS7yo

And I include myself in this, on both sides. Its just an inherent problem with communicating over pure text with no vocal tone or inflection or facial expression or arm gestures. English is such a lovely, ambiguous language to boot.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Professor Wayne posted:

Scanning things in Red Matter makes me want a legit Metroid VR game.

Literally just port the Prime Trilogy to VR. No texture upgrades needed, pretty sure even the Quest could handle it. Would need some reprogramming so you can use your left hand for something, and would need to edit the renderer to reduce popin as you turn your head so it's not just a quick and dirty port unless they'd want to Bethesda it, but drat those games would be sick in VR with less jank than the emulator.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hellsau posted:

Literally just port the Prime Trilogy to VR. No texture upgrades needed, pretty sure even the Quest could handle it. Would need some reprogramming so you can use your left hand for something, and would need to edit the renderer to reduce popin as you turn your head so it's not just a quick and dirty port unless they'd want to Bethesda it, but drat those games would be sick in VR with less jank than the emulator.

Speaking of Nintendo poo poo on the Quest, are there any emulators for the quest that allow you to play poo poo in 3D/VR? I know they exist on PC.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sigher posted:

Speaking of Nintendo poo poo on the Quest, are there any emulators for the quest that allow you to play poo poo in 3D/VR? I know they exist on PC.

Theres a dolphin VR or some poo poo for pc. Its how mario kart 8 VR works or whatever. I don't think its been ported out but you could virtual desktop it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hellsau posted:

Man, thats what always bugs me about people complaining the Quest isn't useful for any good games with its hardware. Metroid Prime, ported to VR, would still be an amazing game, and it ran on a 500 mhz processor from 2000, and 24mb of RAM. Even increasing the resolution and a second viewport that poo poo would run fine on a Quest.

Heck, for any developers reading, just straight up rip off metroid prime. Don't even be innovative, just straight rip it off and you'll have a great game on your hands. The Quests only problem, is the problem of all VR, just not enough talented development teams with resources involved.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I got Death Lap and I'm returning it.

I really love the combat racing genre, and VR is perfect for it, but the driving physics suck, the race track design is bad, and the gameplay isn't fun.

If you want VR car combat, go for Blazerush instead. It may not put you in the driver's seat, but it's better in every other way.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Anyone else hate the fact they spent 1500 usd to basically just play VRchat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AEMINAL posted:

Index, knuckles and trackers for full-body?

I'm $170AUD in the hole for a ModMic wireless just for VRChat, so you're not alone at least, lol. My voice is fairly deep and sounds like poo poo on most regular headset mics.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 6, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AEMINAL posted:

No because I never play VRChat.

Maybe I’m a simpleton, but I never find myself wanting for games to play. Maybe it’s because I mostly play evergreen games (Rec Room, Pokerstars, iracing, beat saber with mods, etc). VRChat falls under that category, but you gotta broaden your horizons, friend

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Index, knuckles and trackers for full-body?

If you want full body on VR chat you can still do it for $30 with an Xbone Kinect 2.0 off eBay and Driver4VR. You just make a few small modifications on the Kinect to turn it into a PC version.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

homeless snail posted:

You'd be shocked what kinda computers can push VR, especially at Quest framerates and if you don't mind turning the resolution scale down a little.

Too true, though I think at 5 years old my R280 and i5-whatever would probably need an update regardless. Shame, since it's perfectly capable at 2D games for the most part. I'll look at it again in the new year since I really really want to get some racing in.

I don't even really need amazing graphics, and something like this seems like it would be perfect for the Quest, assuming you could get a decent controller scheme going.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 6, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

If you want full body on VR chat you can still do it for $30 with an Xbone Kinect 2.0 off eBay and Driver4VR. You just make a few small modifications on the Kinect to turn it into a PC version.

You can, but it can be very touchy and its only working off a single reference point. People generally spring for the Trackers just for the fidelity Lighthouses provide, and they're an investment in use as much as any other piece of VR hardware.

Not to say it's not worth giving a try, just that there are reasons people just splurge on a set of Trackers for full-body instead.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe I’m a simpleton, but I never find myself wanting for games to play. Maybe it’s because I mostly play evergreen games (Rec Room, Pokerstars, iracing, beat saber with mods, etc). VRChat falls under that category, but you gotta broaden your horizons, friend

VRChat's a lot more than just a social platform, there are dozens (if not hundreds) of really fun game worlds to try and the tools to make them with are a lot broader than what Rec Room can provide. You can kill entire afternoons with rounds of Murder.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 6, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nowadays a 1060 and a decent CPU will get you going in VR

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tip posted:

I got Death Lap and I'm returning it.

I really love the combat racing genre, and VR is perfect for it, but the driving physics suck, the race track design is bad, and the gameplay isn't fun.

If you want VR car combat, go for Blazerush instead. It may not put you in the driver's seat, but it's better in every other way.

That's a bummer. I was just gonna post if anyone had tried it and liked it. It looks awesome from the trailer.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Heck, for any developers reading, just straight up rip off metroid prime. Don't even be innovative, just straight rip it off and you'll have a great game on your hands. The Quests only problem, is the problem of all VR, just not enough talented development teams with resources involved.

The Quest also has the Oculus problem. Oculus will not let stuff on the platform unless it looks really good in screenshots. I have submitted 2 completed games for Quest/Rift and been rejected without reason or recourse.

One of them is a good fully realized performant Xortex 26XX-like (great for no cord) that was previously successful on SteamVR. There is nothing like it on Quest, and nothing like it announced for Quest. I probably shouldn't say which title it is because it's not my IP.

Note: There has been no resolution to let Pavlov in the store, To the Top on the store, Climbey on the store. People made a big stink, some big guy at facebook said they were listening but nothing has changed.

TLDR: Don't develop for Oculus platforms until Oculus specifically invites you on the platform, they will reject things without a reason or recourse.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of bad ideas, is it possible to easily root the quest/go? i might be willing to buy facebook hardware if i can remove them from the software bits

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Truga posted:

speaking of bad ideas, is it possible to easily root the quest/go? i might be willing to buy facebook hardware if i can remove them from the software bits

Quest runs on android which is kind of rooted by default. Is there something you think you cannot do?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nowadays a 1060 and a decent CPU will get you going in VR
Why would you buy a 1060 instead of a 1660? Used?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Quest runs on android which is kind of rooted by default. Is there something you think you cannot do?

Android is pretty locked down by default, unless you mean that it's security is so poor that it might as well be rooted in which case yeah you're kinda right.

Truga posted:

There's published exploits but no one has done anything with them yet.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I'll also point out that with *great* equipment, like an RTX-series GPU and high-quality router, the wireless Virtual Desktop experience is so low latency and high fidelity that it is indistinguishable from wired PCVR. To me my Quest with battery counterweight, wifi streaming to PC, is an overall better PCVR experience than any "real" PCVR headset. I should disclose that I haven't tried Index yet but even that would need a wireless module before I'd consider it for anything past seated experiences. It's really hard to go back from untethered.

How are you doing this, and what's the router I would want for something like this? I though quest link required the cable, are you using third-party software? I love my Index but would prefer wireless for some games.\

edit: I reread the post I'm quoting, I guess it's Virtual Desktop. I'll need to look into getting an expensive router, I guess. What's the best value great router for this, though?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cicero posted:

Why would you buy a 1060 instead of a 1660? Used?

I’m just talking lowest common denominator. A 1060 is a lot cheaper than a 1660

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've never played VR Chat and never wanted for VR games to play. But I also do sim racing which is like, the best and most content-ful application of VR right now. So having that alone fills up my time, plus the occasional Beat Saber or Pistol Whip on the side.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pistol Whip is surprisingly difficulty. You really gotta memorize the poo poo out of them.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Pistol Whip is surprisingly difficulty. You really gotta memorize the poo poo out of them.

I've found it helps if I get apocalyptically stoned before playing

not that it helps my score or anything I just feel significantly cooler pretending to be john wick and dancing and poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I've found it helps if I get apocalyptically stoned before playing

not that it helps my score or anything I just feel significantly cooler pretending to be john wick and dancing and poo poo

gently caress yeah dude

Y'all are all going on about playing Hard Deadeye and I'm over here playing Normal high as a kite and dancing to the beat

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

AEMINAL posted:

I've had this rift S for a few days and I am already looking to get prescription inserts cause my glasses aren't really compatible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I feel like VRchat is just chatroulette with dudes disconnecting on me the second they see I'm a dude.

And they use anime girl avatars.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/luxregina/status/1203010392760442880?s=19

This looks :krad:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Butt Discussin posted:

How are you doing this, and what's the router I would want for something like this? I though quest link required the cable, are you using third-party software? I love my Index but would prefer wireless for some games.\

edit: I reread the post I'm quoting, I guess it's Virtual Desktop. I'll need to look into getting an expensive router, I guess. What's the best value great router for this, though?

You need the Quest app for Virtual Desktop ($20) or ALVR (free) to stream wirelessly. ALVR is a couple milliseconds less latency, but Virtual Desktop has far higher quality (indistinguishable from local in my opinion) and seems to be more resilient against disruption.

My router is the Asus RT-AC68U, but it seems to be out of production.

The newer version is the Asus AC1900: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-Renewed/dp/B07WQ1ZFQD/

If you want to try to save even more money, you can get the T-Mobile branded version (simplified features, forces T-Mo phones onto Wifi Calling) here and flash it back into a standard router: https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-ASUS-Wireless-AC1900-Dual-Band-AiProtection/dp/B075GYWPCJ/

You want to set the channel width to 40mhz to minimize stuttering. I'd get the router on Amazon and get Virtual Desktop when you're ready to try so you're within the return window for the app if it isn't performant enough for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I guess I'm going to have to start buying stuff off the Oculus store. They're getting all the cool stuff lately.

How does Revive work- does it have to be configured for every game, or can I just kind of run it and expect Oculus stuff to be fully compatible with my Index?