Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

gently caress, I thought I was doing something special there but no, other goons are doing it too.

Here's how you do it in k8s with prometheus

code:
sum(
    node_namespace_pod_container:container_cpu_usage_seconds_total:sum_rate{cluster="$cluster", namespace="$namespace"}
  * on(namespace,pod)
    group_left(workload, workload_type) mixin_pod_workload{cluster="$cluster", namespace="$namespace", workload="$workload", workload_type="$type"}
) 
/sum(
    kube_pod_container_resource_requests_cpu_cores{cluster="$cluster", namespace="$namespace"}
  * on(namespace,pod)
    group_left(workload, workload_type) mixin_pod_workload{cluster="$cluster", namespace="$namespace", workload="$workload", workload_type="$type"}
)

Then you can ask your service owners why they're requesting 8gb of memory if they never use more than 4.

For example if we have an app that's requesting 8gb of memory and 2 cores with 4 replicas but only using 4gb of memory and 1 core. We have a 'waste' of 16gb and 4 core. That's the equivalent of a m5.xlarge machine which costs 20 cents per hour or 1700 dollars a year for that one app in one environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

A well known university medical center wants to hire me for a substantial boost over my current salary. However, I have only been in my current job for 6 months and my boss is well known in the field, so moving so soon might earn me some bad guy points in the community. What would you do?

GET PAID YO

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

A well known university medical center wants to hire me for a substantial boost over my current salary. However, I have only been in my current job for 6 months and my boss is well known in the field, so moving so soon might earn me some bad guy points in the community. What would you do?

Your boss would make the same jump for a "substantial boost", and you should too.

GreenNight posted:

GET PAID YO

This.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

If you tell your boss that its a substantial boost in compensation and they respond negatively, they are shitbags that don't deserve to be well known in their field.

You then reach out to goons help you drag them through the mud on twitter.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone ever hit the max salary for the position title you are in?

This last review/"cost of living" increase period I found out, after not seeing an increase in my hourly rate, but then receiving a "bonus" for what amounted to what my increase in pay would have been x 2080 hours, that I have hit the max pay for my position title. Which, ok ya that kind of worked out, but because I'm hourly I get overtime and I probably worked close to a few hundred hours of overtime this year so I kinda lost out on money since I wasn't getting that overtime and what would have been my increased rate.

Yearly reviews are coming up in a few months and I absolutely shined like a bright loving star this year with so many successful projects that are way above my position title that it's really not funny. Unfortunately the next position up from me is a lead position, and as far as I know we only have 1 lead per site, and I don't see the current lead going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't want to leave my job, I love it here, extremely stress free, 5 minute drive to work, easy hours, etc, but, I should be getting paid more. Is it a bad idea to suggest to my boss during my review or perhaps even sooner maybe a differently titled position needs to be created for me since I'm at the max and it's not really right I'm not making more? Or some other way to make things right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Max salary is bullshit from management to not pay people more. They could make an exception if they gave half a gently caress.

I know that doesn't help, but it is BS.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
They do the max salary bullshit where I'm at.

If you're at the max for your position, the only way you can get a raise is if the board of directors approves a change to pay scale for your position. No CoL adjustments, no raise.

I've told management repeatedly all this really does encourages your best and brightest employees to look for other jobs, but they don't want to listen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I've gotten title changes to get past max salary bullshit. My job didn't change.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm moving into a position where I'm going to be leading a team with 5 others, and all but 1 of them are older than me (for the record I'm 33). I don't know how much of an issue it will be in reality, but I've got some anxiety about being in a leadership role with people that are older than me, and worry I'll have issues getting them to "follow" me so to speak.

Anyone have any personal experience or advice on this?

I have chosen to stay in the individual contributor role and at 48 I am well into the phase of my career when I have managers younger than I.

As an almost-fifty being managed by a thirty something here is some advice from a literal greybeard:

I have seen too much and been through too much for games. Tell me the truth immediately and without editorializing. I can smell a lie and a sin of omission a mile away.

Don’t waste my time. Every meeting will have an agenda, a stated purpose and a goal. Your weekly team meeting will have a fresh agenda EVERY TIME. If you can’t be bothered to have a good agenda, why are you having the meeting?

Defend us. As far as I am concerned, your only job is to keep the bullshit from landing on us. Sure you might have other roles and responsibilities, but I very much don’t care about those. I only care that you advocate for us and you defend us.

Be consistent. I need to be able to predict how you will react in a situation so I know when to pull you in to an emerging situation and when to handle it myself.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Agrikk posted:

Be consistent. I need to be able to predict how you will react in a situation so I know when to pull you in to an emerging situation and when to handle it myself.

This line is so goddamn important for anyone managing me. The faster we hit stride with this, the faster I can worry about being effective and doing things that matter rather than wasting both our lives in meetings just to make sure I'm doing what I think you need me to be doing.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

mattfl posted:

Has anyone ever hit the max salary for the position title you are in?

The year I hit max salary for my position I quit and took a higer paying job at a dofferent company.

I had been trying for 3 years to move into a higher paying position but the company was notorious about never promoting from within so I knew it was coming. Already knew I had no other options so it was a fairly easy decision.

Management acted completely shocked that their most senior IC left despite my performance management goals for the past few years were scored at maximum and the main issue was that there were no vertical grow paths available.

I guess it didn’t help to have 3 managers in 2 years either. All of them pulling the same “yeah you didn’t make your performance management goals with ME, so I’ll give you another shot to prove yourself next year”.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Agrikk posted:

I am reminded of my predicament at a previous job where the consistent response was PANIC, COME RUNNING and then DO STUFF THE OPPOSITE WAY OF THE RIGHT WAY. That resulted in a whole team of not telling management anything ever, except for the sycophant.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm moving into a position where I'm going to be leading a team with 5 others, and all but 1 of them are older than me (for the record I'm 33). I don't know how much of an issue it will be in reality, but I've got some anxiety about being in a leadership role with people that are older than me, and worry I'll have issues getting them to "follow" me so to speak.

Anyone have any personal experience or advice on this?

I've been on both sides of this situation. I had a 27 year old boss when I was 37 and at 39 I had a 45 year old under me. As cliche as it sounds, its about gaining their trust as a leader by doing a lot of listening and using your experience to help guide them in the right direction. It'll take some time but once you've established a level of mutual trust, its easy to show them you have their back when things get lovely because you'll (hopefully) have learned to trust their judgement which goes a long way in terms of respect. Age goes out the window when you have a boss that you trust to not throw you under the bus.

Agrikk posted:

Defend us. As far as I am concerned, your only job is to keep the bullshit from landing on us. Sure you might have other roles and responsibilities, but I very much don't care about those. I only care that you advocate for us and you defend us.

Basically this.

Also, some people might see this as a waste of time but I do weekly one on ones with my team individually to see how things are going. Let them drive the conversation as much as possible. 30 mins max and if they want to end it early, let them. It helps them vent about process issues you may not have known about or just gives them a break to talk about whatever is on their mind. If the weathers nice, I'll usually ask if they want to go for a walk or treat them to coffee as I've found breaking away from an office setting puts them a little more at ease to talk. Everyone is different so some want to talk only about work related things and some want to bullshit about video games and cars. Its their time and it helps them feel like they're being listened to for once. Make it a reoccurring meeting invite or it'll be easy to let it slip.

On the other side of the situation, if this older person is actively undermining you for whatever reason, it becomes your responsibility to find out where the issues are so you can resolve them and if they're still unwilling to work with you...well, now they're a risk to the rest of the team. You're in a leadership position because someone believed you have the skills and experience to do it and part of being a leader is making tough decisions for your team and the business. There's no way to get everyone to like you, but they have to at least be willing to work with you.

Build a relationship with HR (at arms length, of course) so you can find out what tools the business has to reward high performing employees or morale boosting functions like paying for a team breakfast/lunch outing. Sometimes there's a perception that IT is way too busy to do outings but you wont know whats possible until you know the tools at your disposal.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Agrikk posted:

Don’t waste my time. Every meeting will have an agenda, a stated purpose and a goal. Your weekly team meeting will have a fresh agenda EVERY TIME. If you can’t be bothered to have a good agenda, why are you having the meeting?

I've started working harder on this, especially when I have meetings involving other teams.

Suppose you take one or two hours writing a very structured email that lays out the whole problem, background information, questions that you have, and the things you want to have at the end of the meeting. Before you've even sent the email to anyone, you've gotten a lot of value out of getting it all figured out for yourself. Then, when you send it to everyone who's on the meeting, asked for feedback on the questions, etc., they can all show up to the meeting fully prepared. And even if nobody else reads it, you can have that list of questions and objectives ready in the email and work your way through it, so you don't have to schedule ten additional meetings.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Somewhat of a related question, what would you say the average compensation for someone with a decade of IT Experience from general help desk, user hardware, server hardware, networks, printers, windows server(AD,DNS,ADFS,File Shares,etc.) VMware, Linux, AS/400 and Azure (Infrastructure) including Office 365 and all the Azure AD Premium Features should be around?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Just mashed the "Submit" button on an internal transfer application to get the hell out of helpdesk and onto the engineering team please send :yotj: energy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Somewhat of a related question, what would you say the average compensation for someone with a decade of IT Experience from general help desk, user hardware, server hardware, networks, printers, windows server(AD,DNS,ADFS,File Shares,etc.) VMware, Linux, AS/400 and Azure (Infrastructure) including Office 365 and all the Azure AD Premium Features should be around?

The average of that is going to be pretty wild because positions that want those skills are going to vary from 60k to 120k depending on where you are on how much the position leverages the Linux and azure infrastructure end.

In a metro area I wouldn't take less than 110k if cloud infrastructure was the focus.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

I make 80 doing this in Houston. Not much with Azure other than AD Connect. No Linux. Throw in storage and DR as well. As was said before it can vary wildly but probably 80ish is a solid average that I’ve seen.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

George H.W. oval office posted:

I make 80 doing this in Houston. Not much with Azure other than AD Connect. No Linux. Throw in storage and DR as well. As was said before it can vary wildly but probably 80ish is a solid average that I’ve seen.

Sounds right to me, especially at a full time Corp gig with benefits and 401k match and pto and all that.

Cash is just a part of total comp though so adjust accordingly.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

This is me as a tech at a hospital with less linux/azure stuff and I’ll clear about 93k this year with O/T and on call pay. I’m in the central Florida area and work for a large hospital system.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tab8715 posted:

I make 93 CAD* doing this with three years experience so i'd say 120 minimum if you're in a city.

obviously highly dependent on area

the outrageous PTO/benefits are worth at least an extra 20k though

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I purposefully made the question vague - just trying to see what’s an acceptable range which is similar to have now if on the low end. :smith:

As a follow-up, how did you all get into the industry? Degree, Certs, Self-Study?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MSP crucible

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

The Fool posted:

MSP crucible

Honestly yeah. I worked at MSPs for 5 years or so and learned an incredible amount and got to touch all sorts of tech. From there I decided it was time to get the hell away from MSP life and do things I'm interested in.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tab8715 posted:

I purposefully made the question vague - just trying to see what’s an acceptable range which is similar to have now if on the low end. :smith:

As a follow-up, how did you all get into the industry? Degree, Certs, Self-Study?

I posted on an internet comedy forum.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Over inflating my experience as far back as I can possibly do it. You feel gross at first, but then you realize that the people who get these kind of positions do it as well.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

My IT career has gone like this

- Fresh out of high school I got my first IT job doing CAD design for a company that installs nurse call and school intercom system, I did very little "IT" stuff but I knew how to use AutoCAD so that got me a job(in all honestly I had 2 credits of CAD design from high school yet still got hired lol) I also would go on site and pull wire and punch down 66 blocks for the phone system(waaaaaaaaaay before VOiP lol)

- Took a job doing DSL installs for a verizon contractor back when DSL was the poo poo. Still not really IT

- Babies first IT job at a newspaper doing helpdesk stuff, I had an A+ and was "working on my MCSE, never got it", was there for 9 years and progressed from doing basic helpdesk stuff to building servers and managing the network

- Healthcare IT called and I took a job at a major dialysis company doing IT stuff. I was in charge of the imaging system for the entire company as well as software and server support

- PACS admin for an imaging company

- Sys admin at the corporate offices of a major hospital company doing windows server support for our applications

- Current position at a hospital at said major hospital company doing just about everything.

This all spans approx 19 years! I am 98% self study, I had a MCP when I was studying for the NT4! MCSE and also have an A+ that's 19 years old lol! I also only have a GED and just a few college credits as far as secondary education.

I grew up using DOS, 2400 baud modems and eventually windws 95 coming on floppies and basically self taught myself along the way as technologies changed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tab8715 posted:

nepotism

surprisingly i turned out to be really good at it

Sickening posted:

Over inflating my experience as far back as I can possibly do it. You feel gross at first, but then you realize that the people who get these kind of positions do it as well.

also this

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 6, 2019

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

The Fool posted:

MSP crucible

+ Before that Higher Ed Student Helpdesk

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I had a job in college doin basic hardware repair. Swap motherboards and clean them out and the like. I moved to Houston to live with family and lucked into a job doing desktop support. The staffing agency called me asking if I could pass a drug test since their last guy who they wanted to hire failed it. Of course I said yes. Took the test the next day and failed because the night prior I took a sleep aid and was false positive for PCP. Being a charming, well dressed white boy let me get the benefit of the doubt and passed me. From there I interviewed and got the job.

As I get older I believe that your career isn’t entirely dumb luck but more positioning yourself as best you can so that luck falls your way more often than not. My beginnings though are 100% dumb luck and it’s wild to think how the trajectory of my life would have changed if I wasn’t at exactly the right spot at the right time with a little help from dumb drug laws.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Just feel like throwing this in for fun.

https://twitter.com/ppentestlabs/status/1202906268991664128

Tab8715 posted:

I got a vocational degree then landed a helpdesk job. I've gotten certs\self-study since. I need to do so much more though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We're getting a work-study for our IT team of two, which is great. But they have zero IT background. So I guess if nothing else we will have them help us with ticket tracking and fielding customer support calls. I'm hoping that they might want to learn some computer stuff and that we can teach them some basic troubleshooting.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

And also that a decent amount of the time you end up working with people who are meant to be on your level and you just sit there wondering how they remember to breathe

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Thanks Ants posted:

And also that a decent amount of the time you end up working with people who are meant to be on your level and you just sit there wondering how they remember to breathe

“Decent amount of time” is pretty generous there.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Irritated Goat posted:

Just feel like throwing this in for fun.

https://twitter.com/ppentestlabs/status/1202906268991664128

I got a vocational degree then landed a helpdesk job. I've gotten certs\self-study since. I need to do so much more though.

so my work gives us 3k a year for education. Ontario has a program where you can sign up online classes at any college so I chose one that had a Cyber Security course. After signing up, I was emailed a username and password in plan text that I COULD NOT CHANGE to log into my student portal. When I told them how this went against every single theory in InfoSec, they just shrugged, so I dropped the class and got work to pay for a pluralsight subscription.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Someone did an upgrade of the door access system at 1pm today and managed to gently caress up so bad that all electronically controlled locks and also some elevators on campus defaulted to a locked state. It's still not fixed lmao

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

“Decent amount of time” is pretty generous there.

My entire lifespan is a pretty decent amount of time tbh

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sirotan posted:

Someone did an upgrade of the door access system at 1pm today and managed to gently caress up so bad that all electronically controlled locks and also some elevators on campus defaulted to a locked state. It's still not fixed lmao

Make sure there's still fire accessible exits.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's what I was wondering about. Is it legal to have a locked state be a default if people could be in the building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

taqueso posted:

That's what I was wondering about. Is it legal to have a locked state be a default if people could be in the building?

The locked state can be the default but there needs to be a clearly marked exit path and/or override.

We have a bunch of mag-lock doors that have big red exit buttons that physically switch off the power to the magnet.