Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

silvergoose posted:

"Moiraine tried to put on a chastened face, as if she had endured one of the Amyrlin's infamous upbraidings but the expression was foreign to her. She looked more angry than anything else"

I do love this line ever so much.

this was in my relisten today, and made me chuckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mat Cauthon posted:

Regarding Asmodean - it's implied but never 100% confirmed (I think) that Graendal kills him after the Camelyn showdown with Raevin, in order to punish him for his shifting loyalties, deny Rand a competent teacher and knowledge source from the AoL, and to facilitate Rand's growing paranoia over betrayal/enemies hiding in the shadows, etc.

They come right out and say it in book 13 or 14. He's murdered at the end of book 5 by an at the time unknown party, and 'who killed Asmodean' was like the number 1 or 2 conspiracy theory in all of WoT fandom (the other being where is Demandred?)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Oh, you haven't read the last two books? No wonder you don't know that it's confirmed that Graendal kills Asmodean. In the loving Glossary of Towers of Midnight! :argh:
I'm still a little bit mad about that.

It's not just the glossary. They say it straight up in the text of the book.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

They come right out and say it in book 13 or 14. He's murdered at the end of book 5 by an at the time unknown party, and 'who killed Asmodean' was like the number 1 or 2 conspiracy theory in all of WoT fandom (the other being where is Demandred?)

And RJ retconned the answer to both!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vavrek posted:

Oh wow, yeah. His professional headshot made me think "Huh, okay, that could work." (This is my reaction so far to basically all the actors revealed.) Then I pull up this

and I can see him as Fain perfectly.

fake edit:

:same:
I'm looking forward to his cloak.

Honestly excited as hell to see this dude as Fain

e:

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 5, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I kinda feel like that dude is poised to just chew on the scenery amazingly

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 5, 2019

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Hey thread so I decided I'm gonna start WoT after decades of putting it off and plan to have the series done by the end of 2020 now see ya later since just googling an illustration of Rand already gave me a spoiler.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That he has red hair?

No, that he uses a sword?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That he has red hair?

No, that he uses a sword?

I would guess it's his missing one hand.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Good loving luck getting through it in a month.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Invalid Validation posted:

Good loving luck getting through it in a month.

No, 2020 is next year.

Reading the whole series in a year seems pretty doable if you're spending a good amount of your leisure time on it, and / or are a fast reader. Using the audiobooks as a guide, you'd only need to listen to about 75 minutes a day to finish the series in a year.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I managed it in about 5 months, using ebooks and a convenient train commute.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It depends a lot on how much you read each day. When I'm reading a good book for the first time I tend to get sucked in and spend every possible moment on it. My first time reading WoT I was in Highschool, and 10 books had been published thus far, and I got through them in about 2 months (including my 2 week september vacation). For subsequent releases I always timed my annual leave with the release, and I'd do a full reread, typically 1 book every ~2 days, then the new release in a single sitting.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh yea by the end of 2020 I misread. Still could be hard depending on how much you read.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I got through it in less than a year (between 8 and 11 months, can't remember exactly) reading exclusively on my ~50m subway/walking commute with frequent breaks, it's not that hard

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I started a re-read back when this thread was posted, so mid-September. I'm already about done with book 7, but I've done some real skimming through certain storylines.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Welp it got dusty as gently caress at the end of gathering storm

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That the verin chapter? If so...yeah...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nah the rand one

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ohhh okay sure.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Welp it got dusty as gently caress at the end of gathering storm

not the end but today for me it was nyn defending Mat's honor at the meeting with tuon

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Been reading book 9 before bed for the last 2 months or so. Finally got to the 75% point and now I don't want to put it down til I'm done. So much good stuff in the last part of this one. The rest of the book wasn't awful or anything, but it was a lot of setup for awesome climaxes. Also, the Perrin/Faile situation has been completely absent for a long while now. I've been stuck on this book for a long time in my reread but I feel like they had a few chapters early on, then nothing. Maybe I'm just remembering the end of book 8?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I meant by the end of 2020, yeah. I think I need to average about 50 pages per day?
I work full time and have a baby but if I try I think I can make that goal. Certain days where I have more downtime at the office could mean I read 100 pages or so per day but I think 50 per day is a good minimum.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
read it to the baby. hook em young

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Brolander posted:

read it to the baby. hook em young

Great if you want the baby's first word to be "woolhead"

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
listen kid. duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. it is important you understand this before you can tie your shoes

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Brolander posted:

listen kid. duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. it is important you understand this before you can tie your shoes

and now we discuss how to sheathe the sword

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Inspector 34 posted:

Been reading book 9 before bed for the last 2 months or so. Finally got to the 75% point and now I don't want to put it down til I'm done. So much good stuff in the last part of this one. The rest of the book wasn't awful or anything, but it was a lot of setup for awesome climaxes. Also, the Perrin/Faile situation has been completely absent for a long while now. I've been stuck on this book for a long time in my reread but I feel like they had a few chapters early on, then nothing. Maybe I'm just remembering the end of book 8?

Book 9's hilarious about that. Cover art: Perrin, in the snow. First chapter or two: Perrin, in the snow. Entire rest of the book: Other people dealing with other problems.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Getting serious Jorah Mormont vibes from the Thom casting

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SerSpook posted:

and now we discuss how to sheathe the sword

Well how else is your kid gonna be a diademed battle lord of the malkieri? :colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Well how else is your kid gonna be a diademed battle lord of the malkieri? :colbert:

Yeah that didn't end well for his dad

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
WoT orginally being a post apocalypse alien invasion sure explains a lot of the random supernatural stuff that has nothing to do with the one power.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean, sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, and all that.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

The whole section with the ancestor flashbacks leading to the Age of Legends was some of the most effective writing in the series, down to things like the Seanchan helmets being modeled on pre-breaking military gear, or the magical super special Warder cloaks being made of fabric that was just used in fashionable outfits.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The ancestor flashbacks were my favorite part of the series. Also super effective in destroying a people's story about themselves. And you realize that both offshoots are lost ones.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, the 2nd age world building is some of the best stuff in the series

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I always thought it was interesting that the Aiel were already "a remnant of a remnant" at the start of the series. I don't think anything was done with that unless I missed something, but it could have been an interesting treatment of prophecy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gnoman posted:

I always thought it was interesting that the Aiel were already "a remnant of a remnant" at the start of the series. I don't think anything was done with that unless I missed something, but it could have been an interesting treatment of prophecy.

huh i believe it was the above spoiler will survive to the fourth age if the prophecy was fulfilled. there are no more og aiel disregarding the gypsies

I believe there are 6 different prophecies of the dragon and that was in theirs.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

huh i believe it was the above spoiler will survive to the fourth age if the prophecy was fulfilled. there are no more og aiel disregarding the gypsies

I believe there are 6 different prophecies of the dragon and that was in theirs.

The prophecy was "A remnant of a remnant he will save". When the Tinkers left the original Aiel, that group became a remnant. When the modern Aiel split from the Jenn(sp?) Aiel. they became a remnant of that remnant. Meaning that, technically they could have got through the entire Last Battle without losing even a single Aiel and still have the prophecy fulfilled.

As I said, they didn't do anything with it, but I found it interesting in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Easing the badger has to be one of the longest but most pointless mysteries in the series, I gotta say.