Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

opengl128 posted:

Correct, it's just dry dust. I ran my finger over a small spot and it wiped off easily so it's not bonded to the paint or anything.

I do have a compressor so maybe I'll hit it with that before introducing water. My main concern from reading is the dust can start bonding with the paint if any moisture comes into play, even moisture in the air. I have it in the garage with the door shut for now. Part of the problem is the driveway is fresh asphalt so I can't pull the car out for a few days, then I'm going to be out of town through Thanksgiving so it's going to have to sit for at least 10 days before I can address it.

Dry concrete dust is no issue. Concrete is only an issue as it's curing. Just wash with plenty of water and it'll rinse right off, with a microfiber mitt if necessary. As with anything -- the sooner, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That makes me feel better, thanks. Stinks I have no way of addressing it until after Thanksgiving but oh well. New driveway rules though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With Black Friday here, I figure now is a good time to build up a beginner's kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...163&sr=8-3&th=1

or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Polisher-Dua...customerReviews

I'm in that space where I want to get good value items but I don't want to splurge until I know that I'll actually enjoy detailing.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 29, 2019

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Griot's Garage's new G9 DA polisher has been getting rave reviews. Can pick it up pretty cheap with 25% off.

Autogeek Coupon code: DEALS25

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Etrips posted:

Griot's Garage's new G9 DA polisher has been getting rave reviews. Can pick it up pretty cheap with 25% off.

Autogeek Coupon code: DEALS25

Hmm. Not letting me apply DEALS25 to it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Finally got around to removing the little dealer sticker from the back of the car - I'd been dreading having to sit there and slowly heat it up, work some fishing line under it, then get the leftover adhesive off...

I heated up one end gently for about 30 seconds, lifted a corner, and the whole thing peeled off cleanly :psyboom:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sometimes you get lucky. :sandance:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The paint is bubbling up on this aluminum panel under the rear window. The affected area is about 7" wide. From reading about mustang hoods that have similar trouble, seems like the correct thing to do is to remove the paint and corrosion underneath, then prime and paint. This seems like a really big area to try to do touchup paint on. Any other options?

If I don't do anything, will I destroy this section if I try to compound/polish this panel with a dual action?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

taqueso posted:

The paint is bubbling up on this aluminum panel under the rear window. The affected area is about 7" wide. From reading about mustang hoods that have similar trouble, seems like the correct thing to do is to remove the paint and corrosion underneath, then prime and paint. This seems like a really big area to try to do touchup paint on. Any other options?

If I don't do anything, will I destroy this section if I try to compound/polish this panel with a dual action?

How old is the car? That's exactly the type of paint defects that can be covered by warranties. So before you touch it, research it / have a dealer check it.
But yeah, there is a big risk that polishing it will make the bubbling lift.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

2004 Volvo XC90, I doubt there is any warranty left unless this is somehow special

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

taqueso posted:

Leave it until you can't stand it anymore. As soon as the paint breaks, the corrosion will accelerate.

If you want to try to repair it yourself, keep in mind that when you sand, the area will be 3 times the size of the bubbles you see. Also keep in mind that silver is impossibly hard to spot paint.

Basically, you're boned. :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I guess the good news is that I can buy that panel on ebay for < $100. I think I'll wait on that a minute, though, I've been spending enough money on other car stuff.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
havent washed my car aside from rain in about a year, havent waxed it in two, before that i was pretty good about keeping up with it. but you know, new cars accumulate scratches and curb rash and a dent from a stray bullet and they just become normal rear end cars and you lose the drive to keep em shiny. but i'm forced by circumstance to move back to suburbia where people give a poo poo what your car looks like so i'm contemplating doing a thorough touch-up and detail. is there a recommended brand of touch-up paint? recommended method? some are small enough i could probably get away with just touching em up with a simple all-in-one but a few are deffo going to need some sanding and spraypaint at least. most of the scratches and rash are on the plastic bumper cover so rust is no concern.

also the aforementioned bullet dent will need to get repaired. i've just had it covered with a piece of electrical tape for years the car's black and it wasn't rusting under there so my attitude was gently caress it for the time being). should I try pulling it at all? just fill it with bondo? or epoxy in a screen and then bondo over that? the dent's about an inch wide, half an inch deep, and is right on a crease in the sheet metal, on the unibody, above one of the doors

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Winter question. Southern Ohio so not soul crushingly cold but below freezing most nights.

Birds have decided to poo poo all over my car. Running it through a touchless car wash didn't get it all off.

Best way to deal with that without hurting the paint? IDC what it looks like mid winter but iirc leaving it on hurts the paint too.

I've got a garage, but not one I could properly wash a car in. Car wash is about a quarter mile from where I live so short drive from soapy rinse to ???

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Try a soft cloth car wash.
Even though the can potentially be (there is) poo poo stuck in the brushes that can harm your paint, I still prefer the soft cloth washes because they actually seem to get the road film off my car, something that the touchless washes can never seem to do. Particularly on my fuckin windows.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

honda whisperer posted:

Birds have decided to poo poo all over my car. Running it through a touchless car wash didn't get it all off.

Best way to deal with that without hurting the paint? IDC what it looks like mid winter but iirc leaving it on hurts the paint too.
Put a microfiber towel over the spot, pour hot water on it, let sit for a few minutes. This will soften it and it should easily wipe away.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

TheGoatTrick posted:

Put a microfiber towel over the spot, pour hot water on it, let sit for a few minutes. This will soften it and it should easily wipe away.

Or just spray water on it and wipe it off with a microfiber. It's bird poo poo, a very common issue. Hell, I've got a crabapple poo poo on my Escalade right now and I'll get to it in the next couple days, and it'll be fine.

The only time you really have to worry is during hot weather when the sun really bakes paint. Then it can more easily stain, but even then, it almost always buffs out.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
This time of year, I just kind of let it go. I'll deal with it in the Spring. Too loving cold to be out there.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks, I went for letting it soak and wiping it off.

Figured if it would be worth seeing if there was some neat trick.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Time for some new towels as mine are getting pretty tired. Any suggestions? I don’t need anything pricey since both my vehicles are 150k+ mile DD’s but the ability to choose colors would be a plus.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Arson Daily posted:

Time for some new towels as mine are getting pretty tired. Any suggestions? I don’t need anything pricey since both my vehicles are 150k+ mile DD’s but the ability to choose colors would be a plus.

Kirkland micrfibers, unless they've changed the formula. Really great for the cost.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

https://www.theragcompany.com/eagle-edgeless-500-ultra-plush-microfiber-towel/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrOnBicycle posted:

Kirkland micrfibers, unless they've changed the formula. Really great for the cost.

Those are really great. After looking at them for a long time I pulled the trigger on them when they were on sale, 36 for $14ish! And I'm impressed by the size and quality. It's especially nice having a basically unlimited stack of towels, far more than I use for any one detail.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

How do you guys keep your microfibers from spreading dust? The first use is great, but even after washing, subsequent uses leaves a layer of dust esp on windows.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

I bought a brand new car that had been sitting on the dealer lot for a year. Coated it this weekend and used an iron remover during prep. Had to do three passes with the iron remover, but it saved a ton of time and effort when I clayed it later.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

TheGoatTrick posted:

I bought a brand new car that had been sitting on the dealer lot for a year. Coated it this weekend and used an iron remover during prep. Had to do three passes with the iron remover, but it saved a ton of time and effort when I clayed it later.

What iron remover did you use? I bought a bottle of the Meguiar's Mirror Bright wheel cleaner from a local Pepboys for, I want to say $6, that had a iron removing formula. I think the price was pretty good in comparison to other wheel cleaners I've used, but I only got 3-4 car washes out of it and I can't find it stocked locally anymore.

I had read about using it to clean paint, but there wasn't enough volume to try it on that.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I think if you're planning on using it regularly for an entire car you're much better off buying in bulk and diluting yourself in one of those pressurized sprayers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It must be possible to get whatever chemical it is cheaper than as part of a car product. Iron-X and Sonax Wheel Cleaner both have the same smell and they all seem to turn the same color. Both of those worked well but were expensive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Meguiars Ultimate wheel cleaner can used as iron decon, it's safe to use on the whole car, and it's relative cheap and can be bought just about anywhere.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

There's some sold in bulk here https://www.autogeek.net/iron-removers.html

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

MetaJew posted:

What iron remover did you use? I bought a bottle of the Meguiar's Mirror Bright wheel cleaner from a local Pepboys for, I want to say $6, that had a iron removing formula. I think the price was pretty good in comparison to other wheel cleaners I've used, but I only got 3-4 car washes out of it and I can't find it stocked locally anymore.

I had read about using it to clean paint, but there wasn't enough volume to try it on that.
I used Gyeon Q2M Iron. I got a 500mL bottle on sale for $16. I used less than half of it for the three passes I did on this gigantic Honda Accord.

Car turned out pretty nice. After the iron remover, I used Griot's BOSS Correcting Cream and an orange pad for correction. The car was then coated with my favorite ceramic combo- one coat of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and two coats of Gtechniq Exo. This is supposed to be my daily driver that I don't have to put too much effort into. Oops.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 16, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nothing wrong with taking care of a daily. Looks great!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

How do you guys keep your microfibers from spreading dust? The first use is great, but even after washing, subsequent uses leaves a layer of dust esp on windows.

this sounds like you store them somewhere that they can collect a lot of dust. i've washed mine dozens of times and they still work great

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

TheGoatTrick posted:

shiny Accord
Looks great!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Okay so who's dropping a small pinch of grit and tiny sticks into the dryer when I wash my microfibers...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
How up to date is the OP?

I'm in need of some interior cleaning advice.

I have an '08 Honda Civic and two main cleanliness issues I want to correct.

1.) I have two kids now. Spillages happen and I don't want to take it to a detailer every time I need the milk shampooed out of the back seat. So some form of shampoo/steamer/whatever for cleaning it out would be awesome. Something that can get into tight spaces would be a plus. Found some veggie pouch spilled down and into the crevice of the back seats. Yay.

2.) The second is that the back doors have recently started leaking. It'll be fixed this weekend, but I went through several trials of a heavy rain -> soaked back floorboard -> mildew smell the next morning ->shop vac'd the water up.
I'd like to give the back carpet a goooood thorough cleaning to make sure I've killed any mold or whatever that's growing under it back there. I saw the Ozone generator in the OP. Is that still a good idea in conjunction with cleaning it up?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BonoMan posted:

How up to date is the OP?

I'm in need of some interior cleaning advice.

I have an '08 Honda Civic and two main cleanliness issues I want to correct.

1.) I have two kids now. Spillages happen and I don't want to take it to a detailer every time I need the milk shampooed out of the back seat. So some form of shampoo/steamer/whatever for cleaning it out would be awesome. Something that can get into tight spaces would be a plus. Found some veggie pouch spilled down and into the crevice of the back seats. Yay.

2.) The second is that the back doors have recently started leaking. It'll be fixed this weekend, but I went through several trials of a heavy rain -> soaked back floorboard -> mildew smell the next morning ->shop vac'd the water up.
I'd like to give the back carpet a goooood thorough cleaning to make sure I've killed any mold or whatever that's growing under it back there. I saw the Ozone generator in the OP. Is that still a good idea in conjunction with cleaning it up?

1) I've been through 2 kids and have never had any type of spill that's needed equipment to clean up. Not kink shaming, just saying that monster messes are not inevitable with kids.

2) Do you have a sunroof? Much more probable that a sunroof is leaking instead of doors. If it's enough that water is pooling in the footwells, then you've got a serious water incursion issue. Check Sunroof Drains. Check windshield seal. Try to find out the point where the water is showing -- high / medium / low, then track it down from there. That could be a major problem with a simple fix.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

For 1) I use the $60-$80 spot cleaners. Bissell, etc. Most important thing to do is to hit it with an APC or upholstery cleaner and agitate with a brush or the wand on your spot cleaner. I like the white drill brush with a citrus cleaner or simple green. Then extract; multiple passes if needed.

For 2) I'd use chlorine, bleach, or APC to kill and break up any mold and odors and extract similar to above. If there's any remaining odors you can treat the whole car with a ozone, yes.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 8, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

meatpimp posted:

1) I've been through 2 kids and have never had any type of spill that's needed equipment to clean up. Not kink shaming, just saying that monster messes are not inevitable with kids.

Nothing monster. Just some discoveries of spilled milk and veggie pouches etc, that need more than a wet paper towel to clean up. Not saying I need like... some sort of angle grinder. Just not sure what beyond a wet rag most people use to get that kinda stuff out. Also just looking out for the future to have stuff on hand in case something monster DOES come along. I'd like to be able to resell my car without having to hide giant vomit stains.

quote:

2) Do you have a sunroof? Much more probable that a sunroof is leaking instead of doors. If it's enough that water is pooling in the footwells, then you've got a serious water incursion issue. Check Sunroof Drains. Check windshield seal. Try to find out the point where the water is showing -- high / medium / low, then track it down from there. That could be a major problem with a simple fix.

I don't have a sunroof. I've already identified it (hence me saying I was going to fix it this weekend). It was a two fold problem, dry rot in the seals on the back windows (not the inner seal, but the exterior blade seal on the actual window) and the plastic water seal on the actual interior of the door has come un-epoxied. I actually took the entire door apart to find this out and then ran my own tests by pouring water into the window to follow it and sure enough it was running out through the door into the back floorboards (as well as through the appropriate drain). When I first encountered the problem *only* the back floorboards were wet and nothing else so that let me identify the problem pretty quickly.

Chunjee posted:

For 1) I use the $60-$80 spot cleaners. Bissell, etc. Most important thing to do is it it with an APC or upholstery cleaner and agitate with a brush or the wand on your spot cleaner. I like the white drill brush with a citrus cleaner or simple green. Then extract; multiple passes if needed.

For 2) I'd use chlorine, bleach, or APC to kill and break up any mold and odors and extract similar to above. If there's any remaining odors you can treat the whole car with a ozone, yes.

Awesome thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Oh and like any cleaning chemicals it's a good idea to use a test spot and make sure you dont cause discoloration.
Probably don't want to run bleach at full strength. Try a 50/50 water dilution to start with.