Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sir Lemming posted:

But to a not insignificant portion of the public, all trans people are lying about it. Or at least enough to make restrictive laws "just in case". There are all kinds of terrible political views and policies based on the fear that "some people" who may or may not even exist will take advantage of the system. "Look, I want to be nice, but they can't be trusted! I saw on Facebook that one of them did a crime!"
Like yeah, you're an idiot if your views are based on a cartoon, but most people are idiots, so maybe try a little harder to avoid those implications. They shouldn't have to, but they do nonetheless. That's the stupid world we live in. I don't think Trey & Matt are bad people but I do often wish they would think things through a little better.

I don’t think it’s fair to any comedian at all to say “the world is so full of ignorant and stupid racists and homophobes that you have to constantly remind everyone smarter than them that you don’t really think this way”.

Where did this idea that comedians have to joke “responsibly” come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's not about playing up to the people who aren't racist, sexist or homophobic, it's about not making dumbasses think that The Funny Fart and Boner Guys are on their side. When a popular TV show says a thing, dumbasses think it means that their regressive worldview is justified. Though I guess at this point it's moot because South Park hasn't really been culturally relevant in over a decade so... :shrug:

The only funny trans joke they ever made was against Caitlyn Jenner, but the joke there wasn't that she was trans it's that she's a piece of poo poo.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think it’s fair to any comedian at all to say “the world is so full of ignorant and stupid racists and homophobes that you have to constantly remind everyone smarter than them that you don’t really think this way”.

Of course it's not fair, but it's reality. They're free to keep doing what they're doing, they have every right to. I just wish they would aim higher. No matter how far they've come, they still always seem to carry around this little persecution complex about how the PC Police won't let them say anything. For 23 years.

More practically, good satire typically requires a true premise. So when the premise is flawed, it just isn't funny.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
They're really at their best when they're not trying to be edgy and just focus on being gross and absurd. The best material they've done in the past 5 years or so has been almost entirely in the video games. The underpants gnome fight in Stick of Truth was the hardest I'd laughed at South Park in over a decade.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There is an entire episode of South Park warning us of blindly following a tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e20DtUJDxDg

THEY MADE IT IN 2003! GOD drat CRAB PEOPLE! Hang on does that mean Matt and Trey are crab people?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 5, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Tenzarin posted:

There is an entire episode of South Park warning us of blindly following a tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e20DtUJDxDg

THEY MADE IT IN 2003! GOD drat CRAB PEOPLE! Hang on does that mean Matt and Trey are crab people?

This is again evidence of their clear dislike of the GLBT community!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

King Vidiot posted:

The only funny trans joke they ever made was against Caitlyn Jenner, but the joke there wasn't that she was trans it's that she's a piece of poo poo.

That's not a trans joke. I think the biggest problem is the people complaining don't seem to understand comedy. The current generation can't seem to separate qualities from the person. If someone makes a Caitlyn Jenner joke it isn't automatically a trans joke just because she's trans. Same as making an OJ Simpson or Bill Cosby joke isn't inherently racist. If you make fun of a protester on the news who is acting like a psychopath while defending women's rights, that doesn't make you a misogynist. People and subjects have been make so one dimensional, you either love a person and all their qualities or you must hate them because they have one bad quality. That's why this show appeals to me because they're just trying to make funny jokes. Not everyone has an agenda because you do.

Yardbomb posted:

"I'm LGBT and don't appreciate the same old libertarian douchebags they were the first time they tried to make being transgender out to be this gawked at, disgusting and so freakish thing, trying to push even more harmful myths and zero basis in reality hate about people like me and others I know"

Is a pretty clear statement you dingus, learn to read I guess.

I'm not joking here, if English is your first language and that gibberish run-on sentence makes perfect sense to you then it is you who has the problem. I will try to parse what you're saying with proper grammar:

"I'm LGBT and don't appreciate the same old what libertarian douchebags they were the first time they tried to make being transgender out to be this gawked at, disgusting and so freakish thing while trying to push even more harmful myths and zero-basis-in-reality hate about people like me and others I know"

I mean it's still a mess but at least it makes sense.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 5, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

ChesterJT posted:

I'm not joking here, if English is your first language and that gibberish run-on sentence makes perfect sense to you then it is you who has the problem. I will try to parse what you're saying with proper grammar:

"I'm LGBT and don't appreciate the same old what libertarian douchebags they were the first time they tried to make being transgender out to be this gawked at, disgusting and so freakish thing while trying to push even more harmful myths and zero-basis-in-reality hate about people like me and others I know"

I mean it's still a mess but at least it makes sense.

What Yardbomb wrote was perfectly comprehensible. You're being defensive because people justifiably called you out.

Also yay Scott Malkinson episode. Cool intro.

Bust Rodd posted:

lovely people use regressive jokes to reinforce their bad opinions. This isn't new and it isn't controversial.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 5, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope Scott gets the girl!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
His dad shits on his diabetes too. Poor Scott.

e: so far I'm enjoying it, but it seems a little similar to the "Uber vs. Taxis vs. Lyft"/"Wacky Races" episode a few seasons back. Different jokes, but same basic theme: "the old companies are going out of business because they suck and are lazy and the new services are better." I agree with it more this time around, though.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 5, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The cable guys doing other stuff joke is great.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I'm amazed it's taken us this long to juxtapose the Blacks with the Whites.

Also this is a great out-of-context post.

e: fun episode. Didn't have me laughing uproariously, but Scott's always a fun "sad clown" type.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 5, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The phone number at the end of the show works

719-838-4002

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Scott Malkinson is actually one of the most op characters in fractured but whole. I think it was wrong for him to say he only has diabetes as a character trait.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 5, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is that intro based on? I'm sure I've seen it before. Johnny Quest? Some 70s/80s cartoon?

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Waltzing Along posted:

What is that intro based on? I'm sure I've seen it before. Johnny Quest? Some 70s/80s cartoon?

James Bond, dumbass :v:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Codependent Poster posted:

719-838-4002

lol

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Codependent Poster posted:

719-838-4002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tjFM6gYBWk

For those curious

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
I thought this episode was funny for sure, if a little heavy on the diabetes humor, but it’s wild that we can have like a 5 page discussion about the hilariously bad takes on trans people and then this episode revolves around the most dated, mean-spirited tropes of cable guys being lazy, irrational bitches who will stop at nothing to destroy their closest customers for meager gains and there isn’t a peep.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly that was a fantastic episode. Probably a top 20 even!

"I'm more than my diabetes" ... "I'm not"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Another episode that I didn't really find many laughs in. Scott's plot was pretty weak and the only real laughs I had were from the Cable guys which felt kind of dated. I also don't live in a place where lovely cable service is a thing so I guess I might find more humor in that if it were more a presence in my day to day.

Can't say I disliked it more than last week's episode but it was overall fine. The worst episodes of this show are still fun so...

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Dumb question, feel free to laugh at me:

Does HRT do something to change skeletal proportions? Does it widen hips and narrow shoulders?

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

PaybackJack posted:

Another episode that I didn't really find many laughs in. Scott's plot was pretty weak and the only real laughs I had were from the Cable guys which felt kind of dated. I also don't live in a place where lovely cable service is a thing so I guess I might find more humor in that if it were more a presence in my day to day.

I've had my own frustrations with my local cable company since my place has the outside coaxial cable literally running through tree branches up to the pole (so I've had my fair share of service calls), every time there's a window I seem to get them at the very end of it, but I don't assume the tech is screwing around not doing his job. Hell, most of the time I don't even get someone who actually works for them, it's a subcontractor like 90% chance.

But yeah, that joke was pretty funny the first time, but they went right back to it again and again. I actually thought Nathan injecting insulin was better, because wouldn't that absolutely crash his glucose levels, since he (presumably) isn't diabetic?

quote:

I thought this episode was funny for sure, if a little heavy on the diabetes humor, but it’s wild that we can have like a 5 page discussion about the hilariously bad takes on trans people and then this episode revolves around the most dated, mean-spirited tropes of cable guys being lazy, irrational bitches who will stop at nothing to destroy their closest customers for meager gains and there isn’t a peep.

This feeds back into the "punching down" thing people were talking about before. If the humor is feeding into stereotypes about people that are actually actively oppressed by society, that's pretty hosed up. But something as innocuous as "cable service sucks and their techs are lazy LOL" isn't likely to reinforce some bigot's vote for the next bathroom bill. I mean I kinda come from the "nothing is sacred" camp of comedy, so the Randy Savage character didn't offend me, but I still see people's point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Won't someone care for the cable men?

O Yeetus
Dec 5, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrotherJayne posted:

Dumb question, feel free to laugh at me:

Does HRT do something to change skeletal proportions? Does it widen hips and narrow shoulders?

After puberty, the growth plates fuse and hormones don't do anything to change your skeletal shape. However, before that happens exogenous hormones change your bones just like endogenous ones do. That's why some people encourage transition earlier, so your aesthetics will match the gender you want to be more.

Sir Lemming posted:

But to a not insignificant portion of the public, all trans people are lying about it. Or at least enough to make restrictive laws "just in case". There are all kinds of terrible political views and policies based on the fear that "some people" who may or may not even exist will take advantage of the system. "Look, I want to be nice, but they can't be trusted! I saw on Facebook that one of them did a crime!"
Like yeah, you're an idiot if your views are based on a cartoon, but most people are idiots, so maybe try a little harder to avoid those implications. They shouldn't have to, but they do nonetheless. That's the stupid world we live in. I don't think Trey & Matt are bad people but I do often wish they would think things through a little better.

When you're making a political, economic, legal, or even just game system, you have to be aware that people will try to use it to their advantage as cynically as possible. Period. If the system doesn't account for that, it's not a good system.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This poo poo absolutely emboldens all kinds of heinous poo poo against trans people and going "it's a comedy" incredulously when people point out how backwards and lovely this is, isn't actually going to win you the argument.

Sucks about the south park guys, i thought they were shedding their suck-ness but i guess not really

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Tenzarin posted:

Won't someone care for the cable men?

Everybody's a victim of the mean cartoons apparently.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Episode was mostly really good, though I wish they had focused a little more on cable companies' heel-digging on hanging on to expensive channel packages instead of letting people pay to watch only what they want to watch. I thought the joke of the cable guys doing anything other than their job/task was funny the first time but they kept repeating it which felt like filler. Also, the cable guys will still be a thing even as more and more people cut the cord since most of us still get our internet through our cable company.

Overall I feel this is the best season since 18 (the one with Handicar, Grounded Vindaloop, and Cock Magic), and I almost wish half of it wasn't spent on Tegridy Farms because I'm digging these creative new intros.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Episode was mostly really good, though I wish they had focused a little more on cable companies' heel-digging on hanging on to expensive channel packages instead of letting people pay to watch only what they want to watch.

I'm not sure that's how it works. Don't quote me on it, but last time I talked to my cable company because reasons, they said that packages aren't up to them, the big companies (Turner, ESPN, whatever, etc.) decide what packages they want to be a part of. Like, the channel companies make the packages. Something like that. Could be bullshit but maybe not.

Unless you mean that cable companies are pushing for it to stay that way, then ya, gently caress that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This episode felt like it only had 2 jokes. I didn’t like it. Worst episode this year so far for me

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

This episode felt like it only had 2 jokes. I didn’t like it. Worst episode this year so far for me

Yeah, not very funny, but for some reason I liked the all Scott episode.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This was fun and felt like a classic episode but they ran the four-hour service window joke into the ground. I was also hoping they might make a reference to the fact that, with all the streaming services available, it's gettng to the point where cable might be cheaper in spite of the fact the customer service sucks and you can't go five minutes without a commercial promoting the reboot of Mad About You.

I loved the callbacks to PC Babies, Crab People, and the jewelry show. I also liked the subtle joke that Terrance and Phillip had been on for 23 seasons.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 6, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cable is worthless if you don’t watch sports. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ all bundled together would still be $40 cheaper a month than the most basic cable package and beyond that every Millenial on Earth knows how to torrent whatever they want

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

This was fun and felt like a classic episode but they ran the four-hour service window joke into the ground. I was also hoping they might make a reference to the fact that, with all the streaming services available, it's gettng to the point where cable might be cheaper in spite of the fact the customer service sucks and you can't go five minutes without a commercial promoting the reboot of Mad About You.

I loved the callbacks to PC Babies, Crab People, and the jewelry show. I also liked the subtle joke that Terrance and Phillip had been on for 23 seasons.

Yeah, ok, not funny, but fun. It was a fun episode.

But my girlfriend was pissed that I made her watch it.

Bust Rodd posted:

Cable is worthless if you don’t watch sports. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ all bundled together would still be $40 cheaper a month than the most basic cable package and beyond that every Millenial on Earth knows how to torrent whatever they want

Meh, I cut the cable 6 months ago, and I do miss some of the obscure cable channels. Not everything on basic cable is streamable.

That said, as long as you are happy with local teams, sports are BETTER on OTA broadcasts. No compression, no motion artifacts on the puck, etc...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CBJSprague24 posted:

Running a joke into the ground is classic South Park.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sorry, I enjoyed every time they made the joke about them having a window and being late for it because they did other things. It extending to them meeting up was great.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Running a joke into the ground is classic South Park.

I was watching red mans greed the other day and i'd completely forgotten about the specifics of it. I smiled at chief runs with premise but bust out laughing when they talked about his son - premise running thin.

So I think they know.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Squashy Nipples posted:

That said, as long as you are happy with local teams, sports are BETTER on OTA broadcasts. No compression, no motion artifacts on the puck, etc...

Except that most sports are on cable now. Football is still mostly on the networks. But that's it. NBA, MLB and NHL are almost entirely on cable.

OTOH, cable is 720p in the US because we suck. OTA it's 1080.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

1080 interlaced though, not progressive. The technology is there to do a ton more than we get, but poo poo moves slowly and you gotta cover the lowest common denominator - old people with old poo poo TVs.

Episode was OK, it had potential to be great and really land the season long gag about having to push out a load of crap nobody wanted in order to fill the medium, but I guess trying to do that alongside the Scott-plot and the cable guys didn't give it enough room to breathe. Scott's dad doing an impression of him like Cartman does was loving amazing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I also liked the subtle joke that Terrance and Phillip had been on for 23 seasons.

Now I'm curious. Has an episode of T&P played at least once in each season of South Park? I kind of assume so... but still, curious.