Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

D. Ebdrup posted:

is there a difference between disclosing accidentally and irresponsible disclosure?
Intent I guess, so next time you want to be responsible make sure you act kinda ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

is there a difference between disclosing accidentally and irresponsible disclosure?

i guess if you didn't actually know what you were doing like swiftonsec clearly fuckin doesnt then maybe that would be accidental disclosure. however they've since tried to explain it away as blah blah blah and have still milked the coverage so gently caress em

don't get me wrong, atlassian can suck twelve bags of dicks but swiftonsec is overdue on a reality check

taqueso posted:

Intent I guess, so next time you want to be responsible make sure you act kinda ignorant.

swiftonsec had no intent because they didn't know what they were looking at

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pile Of Garbage posted:

swiftonsec had no intent because they didn't know what they were looking at

That lines up. They typically don't know what they're talking about either.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cinci zoo sniper posted:

take your pick

that last one should be space goatman

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

it makes perfect sense if passwords are considered PII and you don't want to / can't store PII

after all we're not storing your password, we're storing our password that we assigned to you :smug:
There is sort of some logic to it. One of the reasons for hashing passwords is to provide some protection for users who are illadvisedly reusing passwords on multiple sites when there's a data breach. That reason ceases to be relevant If they generate a random password for you because it completely prevents password reuse. Also, although it's unconventional for them to generate a password for you, I don't think it's inherently problematic.

That said, there's still no reason they shouldn't be hashing the password, and it's also obviously bad to send the existing password by email rather than sending a temporary link to reset the password, so they're dumb.

It's also pointless to have a wacky authentication flow like this just to prevent password reuse, because if they are really concerned with security they should just force people to use some form of 2FA.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 6, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mystes posted:

There is sort of some logic to it. One of the reasons for hashing passwords is to provide some protection for users who are illadvisedly reusing passwords on multiple sites when there's a data breach. That reason ceases to be relevant If they generate a random password for you because it completely prevents password reuse. Also, although it's unconventional for them to generate a password for you, I don't think it's inherently problematic.

That said, there's still no reason they shouldn't be hashing the password, and it's also obviously bad to send the existing password by email rather than sending a temporary link to reset the password, so they're dumb.

It's also pointless to have a wacky authentication flow like this just to prevent password reuse, because if they are really concerned with security they should just force people to use some form of 2FA.

it makes a data breach where someone steals a password way harder to notice, and also they make the password unchangeable so if something does happen to compromise your password you're hosed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

that last one should be space goatman

surely a space goose rather

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

honked again!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There's no way the pentest lab cleartext is real

That's parody right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

There's no way the pentest lab cleartext is real

That's parody right?

I hope so, because otherwise its really badly done.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

accounts cant be compromised if they were never secured to begin with

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

accounts cant be compromised if they were never secured to begin with

there we go

mystes
May 31, 2006

univbee posted:

it makes a data breach where someone steals a password way harder to notice, and also they make the password unchangeable so if something does happen to compromise your password you're hosed
I was assuming there was some way to make it generate a new password, but maybe not?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if the people running it are saying things that mean they don't know the difference between encryption and hashing it has to be a troll

...right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

if the people running it are saying things that mean they don't know the difference between encryption and hashing it has to be a troll

...right?

have you looked at the service they offer?

it's "teach me to hack" branded like it's being targeted to it pros

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
accounts can have a little compromise

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

guys give them a break password storage is an industry that’s ripe for disruption they’re just innovating

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

accounts can have little a compromise

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Authentication is a give-take relationship

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

graph posted:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Cocoa Crispies posted:

defending bad password practices on infosec twitter usually results in crowdsourced pentests, yes

like this?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
is it a secfuck if the accounts and what you can access is useless and not worth protecting?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

they just should’ve used magic links in emails and noone would’ve complained

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Vomik posted:

is it a secfuck if the accounts and what you can access is useless and not worth protecting?

Yes. Confirmed emails + knowledge of source is always a good start to a throwaway phish campaign for organized cybercrime poo poo. Grab that poo poo via api, send out a few thousand emails, hand off the phished passwords to your scam farm.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mystes posted:

That reason ceases to be relevant If they generate a random password for you because it completely prevents password reuse
it... might not always do that

for many years in the early 2000's my dad used the password our isp assigned us for the dialup service my family used in the late 1990's for various "family" accounts (and possibly some of his own). i think his reasoning was that it was a decently strong password that he and everyone else in the household had memorized anyway, or something.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my dad used his license plate as his password for a long time, way too long.

it was a custom license plate so it wasn't even random either

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
please fix the typo in the thread title tia

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

dragon enthusiast posted:

please fix the typo in the thread a title tia

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

dan luu had a long twitter fight with taviso about cpuids

(hopefully this shows the thread who knows with twitter)

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1203740316735438848

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, i saw that. i guess nacl was trying to guarantee cycle-level timing precision (to defend against timing attacks?), so google literally refused to let chrome run on cpus they hadn’t specifically tested

honestly a perfect combination of security-programmer hubris and google-programmer engineering-ad-absurdio

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

DuckConference posted:

dan luu had a long twitter fight with taviso about cpuids

(hopefully this shows the thread who knows with twitter)

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1203740316735438848

owns, especially in a post-meltdown timeline

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i kind of agree with dan, like okay you can test with a few steppings of a few different models but I don't see how that can change your confidence in getting bit by an erratum on all processors from that brand

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

rjmccall posted:

yeah, i saw that. i guess nacl was trying to guarantee cycle-level timing precision (to defend against timing attacks?), so google literally refused to let chrome run on cpus they hadn’t specifically tested

honestly a perfect combination of security-programmer hubris and google-programmer engineering-ad-absurdio

as far as I understood dan luu though, google didn't actually whitelist specific cpu's much less specific steppings - they just blanket whitelisted all Intel and AMD CPUs with the needed cpufeatures. to which taviso's argument seems to be "vendor says it's fine", I think???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheFluff posted:

as far as I understood dan luu though, google didn't actually whitelist specific cpu's much less specific steppings - they just blanket whitelisted all Intel and AMD CPUs with the needed cpufeatures. to which taviso's argument seems to be "vendor says it's fine", I think???

i get the feeling they're talking past each other a bit and tavis is thinking about something else and not the particular bit of code being discussed