Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I won't be satisified until adkins teams up with and also fights Frank grillo, hopefully in a purge movie

I've been powering through that list of movies and wolf warrior 2 might be the funniest jingoistic movie I've seen as an American. Is this what American movies feel like to everyone else? Amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

B-Rock452 posted:

Adkins is apparently in the next IP Man movie which has me pretty psyched for it.

Not only that, from the trailer he appears to be the main villain.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The funniest Scott Adkins movie title is Jarhead 3: The Siege

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mastershakeman posted:

I've been powering through that list of movies and wolf warrior 2 might be the funniest jingoistic movie I've seen as an American. Is this what American movies feel like to everyone else? Amazing
This thread is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

mastershakeman posted:

What's great is that Wolf Warrior 2 inspired other countries to make their own jingoistic bombast, like Paskal (Malaysian) and Börü (Turkish). And then there's Sky Hunter, which is to China's air force what Wolf Warrior was to China's army. Only Paskal reaches the ridiculous heights of Wolf Warrior 2, however.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
What’s everyone’s take on American Ultra?

I loved Walton Goggins character even though he is a semi rip off of the joker. The action scenes were pretty fun. It wasn’t a mind blowing blow type action movie by any means but it was a fun short movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blast Fantasto posted:

The funniest Scott Adkins movie title is Jarhead 3: The Siege

Imagine enjoying 2 or 3 and then thinking huh I should check out the original too and going from them to that :lol:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’d like to thank this thread for introducing me to the wonder that is Scott Adkins

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

yes, with the added bonus that america is the bad guys irl and china aren't

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HorseLord posted:

yes, with the added bonus that america is the bad guys irl and china aren't

China's also the bad guy. It's bad guys all the way down.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Pretty sure putting millions of people into concentration camps makes you the bad guy irl

HorseLord posted:

i agree america should stop

also agreed

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 7, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

jase1 posted:

I loved Walton Goggins character even though he is a semi rip off of the joker.

Holy poo poo, why has nobody cast Goggins as the loving Joker yet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

jase1 posted:

It's very boring and ugly, and that was my opinion before Max Landis was outed as the worst human to ever live.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

married but discreet posted:

Pretty sure putting millions of people into concentration camps makes you the bad guy irl

i agree america should stop

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

jase1 posted:

I loved Walton Goggins character even though he is a semi rip off of the joker. The action scenes were pretty fun. It wasn’t a mind blowing blow type action movie by any means but it was a fun short movie.

It's garbage. The ending is utter trash. It posits that being a mindless servant of imperialism, murdering it's enemies is way cooler than just being a peaceful stoner. It's basically Jason Bourne finding out, that he has been brainwashed to commit atrocities and deciding that he wants to go back to doing that actually, thank you very much. The way it treats Kristen Stewart's character is appalling too.
Boring and ugly to look at too.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Just for something else, I would like to recommend that you all watch "The Salvation".

It is in essence Death Wish but as a western. So if you ever wanted to see a gorgeous movie where Mads Mikkelsen goes on a rampage to avenge his family, well this is for you.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Far out the new Rambo is a mean spirited, lovely little movie. It feels like a much worse, unconnected script with Rambo pasted into it. The idea of a vietnam veteran, long since burned out, getting involved in the drug wars could have so many interesting takes and it makes the least interesting decision at every point.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Yeah, I really didn't care for the new Rambo either.
It was an hour of the girl getting kidnapped, raped and drugged with him wandering around and just one action scene during that whole time.

While I liked the gore in the finale, the rest of it felt really uninspired. There were no stakes or tension, I had given up well before it finished.
It ends with a Mortal Kombat fatality, the stupidity of that made me laugh out loud.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yes on top of the racially problematic stuff, it also just sucks as a Rambo movie. It’s a lovely riff on Taken as opposed to the military action most associated with the Rambo sequels.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Indeed, the character will soon star in an Undisputed television series, with Florentine set to direct. Production will reportedly begin in early 2020 with Adkins’ Boyka in the leading role.

loving YES

They better bring back Gaga

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The character of Boyka is loving wild, if you follow him through the movies.

He's introduced as your typical Russian muscleman bad guy, snapping necks for fun and evil just for evil's sake.

A few movies later, you're rooting for the same motherfucker as an underdog in his own Rocky story.

This is the magic of Adkins.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean he does get super-loving pissed when his side tries to stack the deck in his favor and I believe he beats the poo poo out of his own guys? (it's been a while since I've seen Undisputed 2). There was always something more there than "Ruskie underground fight thug", his great "I AM THE MOST COMPLETE FIGHTER IN THE WORLD" brag was roundly quoted in my circle of friends for a couple of months after we watched Undisputed 2.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Holy poo poo, I loved WMAC Masters when I was a kid. I had no idea Florentine was behind that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean he does get super-loving pissed when his side tries to stack the deck in his favor and I believe he beats the poo poo out of his own guys? (it's been a while since I've seen Undisputed 2). There was always something more there than "Ruskie underground fight thug", his great "I AM THE MOST COMPLETE FIGHTER IN THE WORLD" brag was roundly quoted in my circle of friends for a couple of months after we watched Undisputed 2.

Yeah he's the best but only wants to be the best by being the best, not by shitheads fixing his fights so he can win easily.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Man of Tai Chi really didnt work for me. I liked Keanu as a villain and thought the lead did a good job , but something in the filming of the action scenes left me cold - I think it was the intermittent wirework? Or so much punching that it wasn't clear how hard anyone was supposed to be making contact? The fight with his master was great though.
Didn't help that iko uwais was incredibly wasted.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Uhhh I’m assuming one of these will be pushed back or pulled up because the Venn diagram for people who want to see these two is something close to a circle.

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1204866894387433472?s=21

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I will see both on the same day back to back and then do it again the next day.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Why not just declare a national holiday?

It's not like any true actionhead is going to work that day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm down for both on the same day tbh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd assume that John Wick 4 would want to get out of the way. It would be at serious risk of getting stomped by The Matrix.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

I'd assume that John Wick 4 would want to get out of the way. It would be at serious risk of getting stomped by The Matrix.

I feel the exact opposite but I can see your point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I feel the exact opposite but I can see your point.

Yea I mean if The Matrix is even passable as a return to form for the Wackowskis and as an action flick, it could make a billion+ whereas John Wick sequels so far have been in the 200-300 mil range. I doubt they'd want to risk having any significant portion of that peeled off by The Matrix.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If The Matrix 4 made a billion dollars that would mean it would meet or exceed Reloaded as the most successful movie in the franchise adjusting for inflation. I really don’t see that happening given how huge of a zeitgeist-y thing the Matrix was in 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also, Matrix's last movie didn't exactly poison the franchise, but it certainly didn't help.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think you'd be right if this movie was coming out in 2008 or 2010. But at this point we're 20 years out from the original's release and I think it's going to have a very realistic chance of being a major hit(if it's actually good).

Sometimes all a property needs to succeed is a little more time on the shelf. The bad feelings about the sequels have faded at least somewhat, and Keanu is back on top again in a big way after the success of John Wick.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I don't disagree in any way, those are good points.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Basebf555 posted:

Sometimes all a property needs to succeed is a little more time on the shelf. The bad feelings about the sequels have faded at least somewhat, and Keanu is back on top again in a big way after the success of John Wick.

For a way higher budget version of this thought, there's the Disney Star Wars movies. The prequels earned money at release but aged like complete poo poo and did not help the brand's reputation. But over a decade out, Force Awakens could bank on the immense good will for the original trilogy and still bring in $2 Billion (more than twice what Revenge of the Sith earned.)

In a world where Episode VII came out in like 2007, I imagine you'd have seen a real diminishing return.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm down for both on the same day tbh.

Same, double features need to make a comeback.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Did Sylvester Stallone give a stated reason at the time for his involvement in Spy Kids 3D? He didn't have any credits in previous Robert Rodriguez films, did he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darthemed posted:

Did Sylvester Stallone give a stated reason at the time for his involvement in Spy Kids 3D? He didn't have any credits in previous Robert Rodriguez films, did he?

Money, I would guess? That came out in 2003 which was probably the lowest point in Stallone’s career. After Cop Land but before he started to turn it around with Rocky Balboa.

Look at the stuff Stallone is in during the 5 year stretch from 2001-2006

- Driven
- Eye See You
- Avenging Angelo
- Shade
- Spy Kids 3

It’s a rough period