Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I have zero desire to watch the new season of Rick and morty and hearing that they had Elon musk on lowers that desire even more

Havent even watched the last couple seasons of venture bros because they took 3 years between seasons and even then would immediately abandon every interesting plot thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the last two seasons of venture brothers are pretty great

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serf posted:

count dooku is bad because he's a count and his name is dooku. there's really only one way your life goes with names like palpatine and grievous. also, the fact that nute gunray and lott dod are craven capitalists referencing newt gingrich/ronald reagan and trent lott is pretty fun

i was going to reply count dookie and then i accidentally read the nute gunray thing and my mind is blown

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Uncle Wemus posted:

I have zero desire to watch the new season of Rick and morty and hearing that they had Elon musk on lowers that desire even more

I really do think that show was funny out of the gate but I can't think of any other show that's been ruined so thoroughly by its idiot fan base. you can't admit you watch it because they'll think you're one of them. and the Elon thing is of course inexcusable.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

uber_stoat posted:

I really do think that show was funny out of the gate but I can't think of any other show that's been ruined so thoroughly by its idiot fan base. you can't admit you watch it because they'll think you're one of them. and the Elon thing is of course inexcusable.

thankfully the show got popular at the exact same time it got bad

i cant think of another comedy show with such a sharp decline that wasnt due to cancellations or w/e like futurama

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i am the only person who likes season 3 of rick and morty, and im convinced its because its the only season that actually just comes out and says rick is a piece of poo poo you shouldnt want to be like

and dont worry i know the messaging is murky in places but i feel like at least its the closest to being anti-rick

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
that being said, it failed as comedy lol, like spectacularly

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

recent rick and morty reminds me of when a stupid gaming webcomic would go for way too long and have a weird overly serious plotline that eventually consumed everything else

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

recent rick and morty reminds me of when a stupid gaming webcomic would go for way too long and have a weird overly serious plotline that eventually consumed everything else

oh my god https://questionablecontent.net/ is still going

i don't think i've been there since like 2006

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

Rick and Morty was never funny.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
i thought the first episode of the new season was really funny. the rest not so much.

but i guess im in the minority who couldnt care less about the overarching narrative or themes of comedy cartoons. i cant imagine actually caring about rick's qualities as a human being one way or the other unless its part of a joke

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

black 47 is a pretty decent movie, watch it if you want to see redcoats get murked

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

when i watched the rick and morty episode featuring petty insecure obama i thought it was kind of odd how none of reviews i read noticed the obvious satirical elements instead just going off on huge tangents about whether or not whatshername was a clone

if this is what they do for every single episode then yeah i guess i can see how rick and morty could be ruined by its fandom

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fandoms are the world class champions at completely missing the point of what they claim to be obsessed with

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk_MIPnRQfI

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t know why we’re wasting our time talking about Rick and Morty when Joe Pera Talks With You is airing new episodes.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YNi11261So

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

thankfully the show got popular at the exact same time it got bad

i cant think of another comedy show with such a sharp decline that wasnt due to cancellations or w/e like futurama

Community.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

mandatory lesbian posted:

i am the only person who likes season 3 of rick and morty, and im convinced its because its the only season that actually just comes out and says rick is a piece of poo poo you shouldnt want to be like

and dont worry i know the messaging is murky in places but i feel like at least its the closest to being anti-rick

Eh, from the episodes I have seen the various attempts to offer life lessons or opine on family relationships are what makes the show mostly unwatchable. The creators manage to come off as both pitifully damaged by life and also genuinely repugnant and their attempts at moralizing are loving insufferable as a result.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helsing posted:

Eh, from the episodes I have seen the various attempts to offer life lessons or opine on family relationships are what makes the show mostly unwatchable. The creators manage to come off as both pitifully damaged by life and also genuinely repugnant and their attempts at moralizing are loving insufferable as a result.

It's no surprise that the show is siren song to STEM career / software engineering weirdos.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the cool thing about star wars is none of the original trilogy is remarkably better than anything else in the series

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

nostalgia media is converging. everything in the 1980s is now stranger things

https://twitter.com/Ghostbusters/status/1204037989866729477

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

imagining watching this trailer in a theater and thinking it looks pretty cool only to physically recoil in disgust when they decide to throw in random ghostbusters references

i mean among other things now the movie doesnt even have a mystery ok so the earthquakes are caused by ghosts who cares

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like if the tone of your movie is so outrageously at odds with ghostbusters that you cant even use the ghostbusters theme song thats really the point people just end up asking why is this even a ghostbusters movie at all

Serf
May 5, 2011

time is a flat circle

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Random thought I just had as one of those folks who closely followed the controversy back in 2009/2010.

That kid who played the main character in that racist M. Night Shyamalan movie from almost a decade ago really hasn't had any significant acting work since then. Meanwhile, M. Night Shyamalan was able to pivot back and stage a comeback.

Before you defend M. Night, I'll also mention he tied himself to the education reform movement.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

like if the tone of your movie is so outrageously at odds with ghostbusters that you cant even use the ghostbusters theme song thats really the point people just end up asking why is this even a ghostbusters movie at all

finally, a ghostbusters for adults

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
the best thing about the prequels was the n64 pod racing game. i haven't seen the sequels, and i hope i'm not subjected to them. rogue one was fine. star wars chat sucks

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Random thought I just had as one of those folks who closely followed the controversy back in 2009/2010.

That kid who played the main character in that racist M. Night Shyamalan movie from almost a decade ago really hasn't had any significant acting work since then. Meanwhile, M. Night Shyamalan was able to pivot back and stage a comeback.

Before you defend M. Night, I'll also mention he tied himself to the education reform movement.

Do you mean like the 8 year old in Airbender? Who gives a poo poo? Also I don’t think racial self loathing is racism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Finicums Wake posted:

the best thing about the prequels was the n64 pod racing game Star Wars Starfighter. i haven't seen the sequels, and i hope i'm not subjected to them. rogue one was fine. star wars chat sucks

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the eight year old kid in airbender was just such an outrageously bad actor it was impressive at that point the kid from phantom menace was the gold standard for terrible child actors and hes like one of the few elements about the prequels no one even remembers anymore because the airbender kid managed to be even worse

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

General Dog posted:

Do you mean like the 8 year old in Airbender? Who gives a poo poo? Also I don’t think racial self loathing is racism
I kind of feel like the kid of all people shouldn't have to be the one guy who faced consequence from Hollywood being lovely. And the criticism at the time went to great lengths to "not blame the actor".

And I remember all the bad faith arguments M. Night made in defense of his lovely movie. I'm cool with still calling it racism.

I know the current status quo in Hollywood is the liberal town playing up all of its supposed successes in diversity to as a means to ventilate its tensions; but Hollywood's gross underbelly is still racist as gently caress; and it's a sympton of how entertainment and mass media is organized under capitalism.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Finicums Wake posted:

the best thing about the prequels was the n64 pod racing game. i haven't seen the sequels, and i hope i'm not subjected to them. rogue one was fine. star wars chat sucks

Republic Commando was good

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gundam is bad too and its anti-war messaging regularly crosses over the line into pacifism, which relies on super powered teenagers who can magically neutralize military power without having to kill anyone. Some Gundam is good but then so is some Star Wars.

Well that and it tries to say war is bad but giant war machines are incredibly cool. The newtype bullshit sucks but it does get undermined pretty regularly. Newtype magic has saved the day a few times from straight up destruction, but literally has never stopped wars. The dumb kids never realize that “if only we could all communicate and understand each others feelings there would be no war” doesn’t work if the people in power don’t care about any of that.

Which is why IBO is the best gundam series since its the only one that is about destroying the system instead of wanting magic to fix everything. The haram ship is still awful, though.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Farm Frenzy posted:

nostalgia media is converging. everything in the 1980s is now stranger things

https://twitter.com/Ghostbusters/status/1204037989866729477

i really think casting the lead kid from ST was a misstep in this case, because it makes the entire thing into a stranger things: gaiden situation for me. like this is the content and plot line the ST writers want to make anyway, except netflix obviously didn't want to pay to license the ghostbusters stuff so they just go with their OC DO NOT STEAL version of it

also has anyone else watched the righteous gemstones on HBO? i wasn't sure if i was going to like it at first since i'm pretty luke-warm on anything danny mcbride is in, but i gotta say "what if tony soprano ran a megachurch" is turning into a decent enough show. what i am most amazed by is how they're playing the conservative christian family dynamics like 98% straight and the only parts they're exaggerating is when people actually start shooting each other. i was raised in a super conservative christian family in the 80s and i gotta say this show is an almost completely faithful recreation of what that experience was like.

the best part is my wife asking me "wait, is that part of the joke" for like half of the content and getting to tell her "nope, that's actually a completely normal thing you would see/hear/do in that world; the only joke is that they're playing it completely straight faced and daring you not to laugh at the insanity"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im curious elon musk on rick and morty sounds really bad but how bad is it compared to elon musk on the simpsons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp8N1SCreyM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

I kind of feel like the kid of all people shouldn't have to be the one guy who faced consequence from Hollywood being lovely. And the criticism at the time went to great lengths to "not blame the actor".

Did you see his name on a blacklist or something? The narrative on that movie from day one until the present has always been "Jesus, what a fiasco for Shyamalan", I don't think anyone has ever said "this movie is great if that kid actor isn't so lovely."