Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Fire Sharon Versyp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Probably Magic posted:

Haven't been paying attention but, uh, what the gently caress is up with Texas Tech this year?

kiimo posted:

The Iowa loss was bad but the Creighton and DePaul losses were both in overtime and they have a lot of new faces on that team that probably just haven't figured out how to win those kinds of games yet.

Also Jahmius Ramsey went down with a hamstring injury in the first half of the Iowa game, and we had built our entire offensive identity around him.

Should be much better come March, just hope we don't drop so many early season that we wind up on the wrong side of the bubble.

Ranch Du Bois
Apr 23, 2018
what are yalls favorite ncaa podcast to listen to? Ive started hosting a college basketball radio show at my school and I don't think I know enough about the sport yet to bring my A game.

I listened to the CBS one but I don't really love it and there doesn't seem to be too many in the apple selection. takin any suggestions

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU is unretiring the all red uniforms and re-designed them since we are a jordan brand school now.

By re-designed I mean just copied the Bulls uniforms from the 90s

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Ranch Du Bois posted:

what are yalls favorite ncaa podcast to listen to? Ive started hosting a college basketball radio show at my school and I don't think I know enough about the sport yet to bring my A game.

I listened to the CBS one but I don't really love it and there doesn't seem to be too many in the apple selection. takin any suggestions

If you want to get hyperfuckingwonky, try this: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/big-game-pod/id1485173328 They grab a matchup and cover it in a hyper Xs and Os fashion.

My personal (homer) favorite is the MGoBlog guys, more for the looseness of it. I'd recommend listening to a few of them just to see how it can be loose (the titular MGoPodcasts every Monday) or tight (the WTKA actual radio shows): https://mgoblog.com/category/tags/podcasts

If you're going to cover multiple teams, you might want to check how The Moving Screen (umhoops guy and an Athletic writer, the equivalent of two knowledgable dudes at a bar taking hoops) covers both Michigan and Michigan State: https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/tgd64-7aa2a/The-Moving-Screen-Podcast

Otherwise, I've never heard a bad podcast from The Athletic, though it's a subscription service and only some podcasts are publicly available.

In other poo poo, Luka Garza (Iowa) dropped 44 on Michigan, on 17-32 shooting. Unfortunately, that was Michigan's plan, and Michigan won 103-91 because 3s are worth more than 2s and Garza had zero assists. Also, Iowa's defense is a crime against basketball. Michigan scored 43 against Louisville and had 50 at halftime.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 7, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa hung around for most of that game until they got gassed and gave up like a billion offensive boards down the stretch. The idea that they just wanted to hand Garza a bunch of buckets is very dumb. Like yes they didn't double him a ton so they could stay home on shooters but scoring 44 on a guy every Michigan fan insists is the best defensive player in basketball is still a really loving good game. Why do Michigan fans always have to be so obnoxious about anything that is not accomplished by a Michigan player?

Just blindly regurgitating everything MGoBlog (who have currently spent the week insisting that actually Jim Harbaugh outcoached Ryan Day and OSU only won because their QB took online classes) says does not actually make you as smart as you think to does, I promise

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 7, 2019

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
The game plan was to not go down and double Garza and leave open shooters for Iowa. Garza feasted on this and rightfully so. Teske had some issues defending him.

Garza is really good (dude flails his elbows and arms a lot though) and had a great game, but the plan allowed Michigan to play 8 to 10 pts ahead the entire second half and it never felt like Iowa was ever going to close that gap.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 7, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MourningView posted:

Just blindly regurgitating everything MGoBlog (who have currently spent the week insisting that actually Jim Harbaugh outcoached Ryan Day and OSU only won because their QB took online classes) says does not actually make you as smart as you think to does, I promise

A cardinal rule of Michigan football is that everyone involved is entitled, irritating, and shellshocked from losing 14 of 15 against tOSU. That leads to a metric fuckton of toxicity from all sites/commentators saying dumb poo poo about college kids, even if they're tOSU's college kids. It's not great!

Regnevelc posted:

The game plan was to not go down and double Garza and leave open shooters for Iowa. Garza feasted on this and rightfully so. Teske had some issues defending him.

Garza is really good (dude flails his elbows and arms a lot though) and had a great game, but the plan allowed Michigan to play 8 to 10 pts ahead the entire second half and it never felt like Iowa was ever going to close that gap.

The best summation I've seen is that Michigan had no plan for Garza, but had a plan for everyone else. The general Howard defense is to shut down any chance of open 3s, cede/trap teams into taking lovely 2s, and single-cover down low, aided by the Big dropping off ball screens. Garza had a monster of a game, as the crowd (in between Baby Yoda races and Stormtrooper shirt tosses - Darth Vader was sad the t-shirt Gatling cannon broke) would groan every time he touched the ball. He played a hell of a game! Teske hasn't been that bad at defense in a long time and his foul-trouble 23 minutes didn't help.

The plan definitely wasn't to give up 44 to Garza, but the offense was cooking enough to not take the risk of doubling Garza and giving up 3s. Michigan actually made three fewer field goals! But Michigan went 10-24 from deep, Iowa went 3-15, and that's a scheme thing.

By the way, gently caress Duke.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
otzelberger sucks. guess i gotta wait five years before unlv gets another chance to try to hire a good coach (they won't)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

they can start by trying to hire a good athletic director (they'll fail at that too)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

hmmm, everything's been going poo poo, let's check the Mizzou sco--wait what, they went on the road and beat a decent team?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Aztec_MBB/status/1203799583941283847

10-0 feels good

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

a neat cape posted:

SDSU is unretiring the all red uniforms and re-designed them since we are a jordan brand school now.

By re-designed I mean just copied the Bulls uniforms from the 90s

Those Bulls uniforms rocked, so this is a good thing.

ISU beat Seton Hall last night at home, which is nice considering ISU lost to them like a week ago in the Bahamas. A good top 25 win is what this team needed because they have floundered against decent competition this year. Thursday is Iowa, and I'm wondering how the Cyclones will blow it this year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've never been less excited about a more talented team at KU based on the investigation cloud but that being said this team is stupid talented and just scratching the surface.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
the heroic hawkeyes have destroyed the vile gopher menace in yet another sport, huzzah

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Heyyyyyy SDSU is ranked for the first time since 2015. Very nice

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It must be the jerseys

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Unranked Penn State knocked off #4 Maryland and now-unranked Texas Tech is about to knock off #1 Louisville.

The mayhem of a parity-year college basketball season is back.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
suck my rear end maryland

turgeon is terrible

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Huh. Give up on Tech and then they go and beat Louisville by 13 without Ramsey.

Avery Benson is the hardest working walk-on in the nation.

Really hope Ramsey is back soon, though. He needed the most work on defense of our top 8 players and he's missing valuable time leading up to the late season run. Tech gets scary if Ramsey confess back with more focus on defense and when Tyreek Smith is better as well.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Roasted Donut posted:

suck my rear end maryland

turgeon is terrible

same OP

PSU will still disappoint this year somehow

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't like being #1

But also I am more confident in this Kansas team than any since '08

It's like every guy on the roster is a glue guy

stump collector
May 28, 2007

kiimo posted:

I don't like being #1

To me this signals an opening weekend exit from the tournament

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tell that to Villanova in 16 and 18

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Video coming, but Illinois is in the process of murdering Michigan in the paint, but one of their players just accidentally murdered a ref with a celebration punch to the temple :laugh:

Edit: bonk

https://twitter.com/Bry_Mac/status/1204973259562860544

https://twitter.com/HassFawaz05/status/1204973756621492232

Edit2: Michigan then went on a 7-0 run, but continued to clunk 3s, lost, and the nutty games continue!

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 12, 2019

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
You don’t win going 3-18 from three.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kiimo posted:

I don't like being #1

I wouldn't be surprised if OSU jumped Kansas to be new #1.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That would make me happy. #2 is the best spot to be in.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I have no idea if this was meant respectfully or as a taunt, but it's a baller as gently caress move!

https://twitter.com/ChadLeistikow/status/1205321195123433472?s=19

Also apparently Garza got one of his teeth knocked back, was down for a while, then checked back in two minutes later?! What is this, hockey?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

facialimpediment posted:

I have no idea if this was meant respectfully or as a taunt, but it's a baller as gently caress move!

https://twitter.com/ChadLeistikow/status/1205321195123433472?s=19

Also apparently Garza got one of his teeth knocked back, was down for a while, then checked back in two minutes later?! What is this, hockey?

Definitely taunting. I think Monte Morris had said he was going to do the same thing his last game in Carver but then ISU lost.

This is at least the second game where Garza left the game bleeding from the mouth and came back, he had to get his lip stiched back together against Texas Tech. It continues to be extremely funny to watch that big goofy oaf put together a player of the year campaign

Also lmao at those chump rear end chumps ISU going 0-fer in football, wrestling, and both basketballs again Hawkeye State, bitch

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 13, 2019

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

maybe otzelberger can do a crazy thing and suck in non conference and rock in conference who knows

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MourningView posted:

Definitely taunting. I think Monte Morris had said he was going to do the same thing his last game in Carver but then ISU lost.

Gahaha holy poo poo here's the video:

https://twitter.com/lucyrohdenTV/status/1205321462338347008?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jordan also did this last year, he is extremely good.

https://twitter.com/JordanBo_3/status/1112421166185136128?s=19

I think this might be his last game this year. He had hip surgery in the offseason and hasn't really looked like himself. He sat out a game earlier this year specifically so he could still play against ISU without ruining his chance to take a medical redshirt. I'd like to have him back at full health next year rather than have him risk injury playing at 75% this season, especially because we bring almost everyone back next year unless Garza decides he needs to start his career in Slovenia a year early.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers/SHU is usually a close game regardless of how they're looking otherwise. SHU was looking very good this year, but they lost their PF in the ISU game, which is probably why ISU won and by that margin. That's a big help to Rutgers of course.

My assessment of Rutgers so far is that they're starting to play a little better, but the strategy of playing garbage OOC teams every year means keeps making them blow games early in the year that they shouldn't because they don't get anything out of those except weeks of apathy on everyone's part.

Bigs: Myles Johnson is good, but he's really easy to get in foul trouble which everyone is doing. Shaq Carter is a good offensive player who can't play defense, and there's a backup center who can only block shots who isn't trusted at all. I can't fathom why they didn't try to get another body here after Omoruyi left. They badly, badly miss him. If healthy, he's a conference player of the year candidate for Oregon next year.

Wings: Yeboah is pretty good and people don't understand why he doesn't play more. Ron Harper is improved, but he's not at the level he was playing at in the second half of last year. Caleb McConnell is a pretty good sixth man who probably plays too much, solid 3 and D guy.

Guards: Geo Baker is still massively miscast as their lead guy. The problem is they thought Texas transfer Jacob Young (who's a sick athlete) would come in and take over PG, but he can't shoot at all. Montez Mathis is a really good defender and has improved offensively. Paul Mulcahy is a solid freshman PG who might start next year.

Yeboah is the only senior who actually plays, so whether or not they'll improve with an actual veteran team next year depends on recruiting any decent bigs who can play. Johnson/Harper/Mathis/Baker/Mulcahy as a 3G lineup with a bench of McConnell and Young isn't terrible, but they'll have the exact same problem as this year without another big who can give them 20 min a game. I think the backcourt will be a lot better with Mulcahy as the primary creator instead of Baker or Young.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Memphis loving sucks and Tennessee would be up double digits if they could make a shot.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers opened up a huge early lead today and never looked back. Myles Powell may have suffered a concussion 4 minutes before halftime and didn't come back. It's definitely closer if he did, and this game is a toss up if they're healthy. A huge win for Rutgers and the Big Ten in terms of RPI, KenPom, and other statistical rankings though.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Memphis loving sucks and Tennessee would be up double digits if they could make a shot.

For those reading this, Memphis won

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Metapod posted:

lmbo

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kim Jong Il posted:

Rutgers opened up a huge early lead today and never looked back. Myles Powell may have suffered a concussion 4 minutes before halftime and didn't come back.

It was appparently a real, real bad concussion!

https://twitter.com/briannnnf/status/1205993391860924417

The Michigan/Oregon game was also excellent, one of those games where it's kind of sad that a team has to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

penny hardaway confirmed best coach in the state of tennessee wow