Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I turn 'em on if I'm streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I leave subs on because it’s easier for me to remember the type of nonsense info that video games deliver if I read it instead of hear it

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

precision posted:

I don't understand people who play with subtitles on for a language they speak

Subtitles are super distracting and voluntarily submitting to them is crazy to me

I can read far faster than someone talking. It lets me split focus on what's going on in the game or show because it's very difficult for me to process what someone is saying if I'm not focused on the words.

Also, as previously mentioned, audio mixes are loving trash some times.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Just finished Episode 9.

:suspense:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpazmasterX posted:

I can read far faster than someone talking. It lets me split focus on what's going on in the game or show because it's very difficult for me to process what someone is saying if I'm not focused on the words.

Also, as previously mentioned, audio mixes are loving trash some times.

:psyduck:

Obviously I wasn't referring to situations where one is reading instead of listening or where one literally can't hear the dialogue or any other special circumstance. I was talking about leaving subtitles on when one isn't intending to primarily read them

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Colonel Whitey posted:

I leave subs on because it’s easier for me to remember the type of nonsense info that video games deliver if I read it instead of hear it

This is literally the opposite for me. I find I retain information better if I'm forced to listen and watch the performances than just skimming words.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leaving subs off also makes you focus more on the performances rather than the lines themselves.

The big downside is that you miss some of Sam's mumbled grumbling when out in the world.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You keep subtitles on so you can share screenshots more easily.

Case in point

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This video reminded me, one time I was fighting MULEs in that one area with all the valleys, and I bolo gunned a guy just as he was jumping over a valley and he fell down into the valley

https://twitter.com/OgaMgsLudens/status/1203303965384798208?s=20

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I had MULEs take quite long falls only to get knocked unconscious, it's really hard to kill by accident (which is good)

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Justin Roiland got paid to make an ad:

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1203268935031803904?s=09

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok I beat the game and I think I understand basically everything. I have a quick question. Sorry adding spoilers:

The one thing I don't get is the stuff that happened when Higgs and Amelie summon the giant lumbering BT at edge knot. Is that really Amelie, or just some kind of projection by Higgs? I don't understand why it's inferred that he's controlling her.

Is Amelie simply playing along to advance the agenda? Or does Higgs have high enough DOOMS that he can summon apparitions of that nature? Was Amelie ever really there?

As an aside, the way this game approached boss battles was probably my least favorite thing about it. They're all stupid. I mean they're beautiful and thematic but the gunplay isn't fleshed out enough to do anything with it. The worst case, of course, being the giant whale BT who literally does nothing while you kill it.

I get it, the boss battles are just there by necessity to advance the plot and otherwise look awesome (and they succeed at both) but in DS2 I am hoping they really elaborate on the die shootman portion of the game.

Overall though this was definitely game of the year for me. Good times.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 8, 2019

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Gripweed posted:

This video reminded me, one time I was fighting MULEs in that one area with all the valleys, and I bolo gunned a guy just as he was jumping over a valley and he fell down into the valley

https://twitter.com/OgaMgsLudens/status/1203303965384798208?s=20

I love MULE fights on bridges. It's such an adrenaline rush to knock someone off the side and grab their cargo before it too goes over.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Taima posted:

Ok I beat the game and I think I understand basically everything.
Wanna spoiler some of that for those that haven't beaten it yet?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If I'm nearing the end of Chapter 6, how much more of the game is there? I have seen higher chapter numbers but I think that can be misleading in terms of figuring out hour count because some chapters have only had like 15 minutes of actual story content if you just beeline for the main objective.

I think I'm gonna 5 star all the locations but not work for a platinum or anything (I'm on the wrong difficulty for that anyway). I will finish this road, though, that's for sure

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Once you finish chapter 8, you'll basically be railroading to the end in 9 and beyond. From 6 to the end of 8 isn't super long if you're not doing optional stuff. I honestly don't know how I would quantify it in hours, but you're well over the halfway point imo.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I'm still pottering around in Chapter 3 building roads. I've had the occasional notification that I can now change the colour of my sunglasses in the private room.

How do I do this as I can't seem to see a prompt anywhere for it? There's a good chance I'm missing something obvious though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Move the camera over to your suit, on the wall next to BB.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Move the camera over to your suit, on the wall next to BB.

Thanks!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there any real point to getting people to 5 stars other than the pant star and the increased bandwidth? I went back to the first area and maxed everyone out which was pretty easy since I had zip lines but the second area is so big and it would take a lot of work to get it all done.

About the Elder:
Scared the poo poo outta me when I came back to finish his deliveries and he was a loving BT just silently floating there. Why didn't he cause a voidout?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cowman posted:

Is there any real point to getting people to 5 stars other than the pant star and the increased bandwidth? I went back to the first area and maxed everyone out which was pretty easy since I had zip lines but the second area is so big and it would take a lot of work to get it all done.

About the Elder:
Scared the poo poo outta me when I came back to finish his deliveries and he was a loving BT just silently floating there. Why didn't he cause a voidout?

I don't know if it's addressed in game, but I'd assume either somebody else came and got the body(remember that they have dedicated corpse delivery guys), or Prepper shelters have personal incinerators you can get in if you think you're about to die

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Gripweed posted:

I don't know if it's addressed in game, but I'd assume either somebody else came and got the body(remember that they have dedicated corpse delivery guys), or Prepper shelters have personal incinerators you can get in if you think you're about to die

I guess I haven't gotten far enough or paid enough attention but do you still become a BT even if you get incinerated? I thought BTs were made by voidouts and the dead crossing over or something. It's really confusing

On a non-spoilery note, why the hell did anyone think it was a good idea to make it so you can't transfer resources between shelters automatically? If I'm trying to build the road by Mtn Knot City and they don't have any metal I hate having to trek across the drat country and back to deliver the metal. It's one thing I hope the PC modders fix.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cowman posted:

I guess I haven't gotten far enough or paid enough attention but do you still become a BT even if you get incinerated? I thought BTs were made by voidouts and the dead crossing over or something. It's really confusing

On a non-spoilery note, why the hell did anyone think it was a good idea to make it so you can't transfer resources between shelters automatically? If I'm trying to build the road by Mtn Knot City and they don't have any metal I hate having to trek across the drat country and back to deliver the metal. It's one thing I hope the PC modders fix.

You become a BT regardless, but voidouts are caused by a BT coming into contact with their own body again. You got about 48 hours after someone dies before their ghost manages to bounce back from the other side get to their body.

You absolutely can transfer resources between shelters automatically. Just withdraw the resources you want from one shelter and carry them to the other.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Voidouts happen when a BT comes into contact with a living person, I believe. Not its own body.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Gripweed posted:

You become a BT regardless, but voidouts are caused by a BT coming into contact with their own body again. You got about 48 hours after someone dies before their ghost manages to bounce back from the other side get to their body.

You absolutely can transfer resources between shelters automatically. Just withdraw the resources you want from one shelter and carry them to the other.

Well I meant more like tell a bot to take X Metal to Y City instead of having to fill your truck up and go back and forth. Some of these late game roads are ridiculous

Or just taking all the poo poo from the huge pain in the rear end people like the collector and cosplayer. gently caress them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You should be able to use autonomous drones to ferry materials between shelters

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Cowman posted:

Get mountain knot and doctor up to five stars real quick, you’ll have plenty of resources. It’s not supposed to be easy as pie to build a whole road network.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowman posted:

Is there any real point to getting people to 5 stars other than the pant star and the increased bandwidth?

It's your civic duty

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cowman posted:

That’s the gameplay. Transporting resources is the gameplay. They thought you might want some more of that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

esperterra posted:

Voidouts happen when a BT comes into contact with a living person, I believe. Not its own body.

This is my understanding too. Which explains why (early game spoiler) the corpse disposal guys desperately kill themselves when they’re getting dragged off by BTs

If I understand the rules correctly, an unattended dead body becomes a BT unless you burn it. Voidouts occur when a BT drags a living person to be consumed by a catcher. I don’t know if there are special rules about BTs finding their own corpses.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is my understanding too. Which explains why (early game spoiler) the corpse disposal guys desperately kill themselves when they’re getting dragged off by BTs

If I understand the rules correctly, an unattended dead body becomes a BT unless you burn it. Voidouts occur when a BT drags a living person to be consumed by a catcher. I don’t know if there are special rules about BTs finding their own corpses.

oh ok I had it confused

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ainsley McTree posted:

ya this

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also important is that dead bodies 'necrotize' which means they bubble up into tar which releases chiral energy into the air and attracts BTs. This is why they burn bodies at incinerators way far away from the towns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sam, it's Die-Hardman. Have you been brushing your teeth?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lake Knot, South Knot, and Mountain Knot are all on the road network :cabot:

Is that the end of the line? It looks like there are still some regions to the southwest after I do this mysterious meeting which I am sure will not result in anything strange happening.

Also are the [URGENT] standard orders special? I thought it might be just a signal that it's a mission graded on time but there are other (Time-Sensitive) missions that aren't [URGENT]

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam, this is Die Hardman. Make sure to eat breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day. Now, this goes without saying, but as the most important meal, breakfast is crucial to the amount of energy you retain throughout the morning, afternoon and evening, otherwise known as 'the day'. So it's very important that you eat breakfast, Sam. Check the terminal for more information.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now Sam, "first" refers to the first item in a sequence. Think of it like the first drop of rain - and remember Sam, first always comes first. If it's not first, well, then it's second. FIRST - Fully Itemizing Relevant Strand Technology.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Keeping your cuticles trimmed, Sam? We've added a new function to your Private Room, make sure to take a look when you get a chance. Why not take a break from time to time?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Sam, this is Die Hardman. I need you to imagine four balls at the edge of a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven’t played the game for a few weeks and I still can’t get the reveal that die hardman’s name is John mcclane out of my head. Kojima is there no limit to your ambition