Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the 3D effect in Mario 3D land is super great. It looks fantastic and actually adds to the gameplay. The only Mario games in the last decade that rival 3D land are the Galaxy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I'd agree if they actually had the guts to make it an evangelical conservative cult. I unashamedly love the far cry games, but that game was ruined with its "apolitical" BS.

New Dawn had some great stuff like the expeditions, so I actually enjoyed my time with it, though I'll never play it again.

It's not? Seemed like this was heavily teased from the marketing. I haven't played farcry 5 yet.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Which Far Cry had the completely baffling Jeep Liberty product placement? I think that was the last one I played

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Rock My Socks! posted:

3d land was like the only 3ds game where the 3d effects felt worthwhile and non-gimmicky

i liked it in luigi's mansion 2 as well. every room is like a cute little diorama.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SoR Blaze posted:

Far Cry New Dawn is better than Far Cry 5 by virtue of being less game overall.

beyond the cynical hot take that less bad game is always good I think new dawn actually is a better game because it's less bloated and doesn't overstay its welcome. a typical farcry game doesn't really have anything more to offer, just more of the same pasted onto more samey camps

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm glad that they stopped releasing banjo kazooie games, that entire series is stupid and not fun

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Olaf The Stout posted:

It's not? Seemed like this was heavily teased from the marketing. I haven't played farcry 5 yet.

I figure they were doing a Rockstar-esque creating controversy for the sake of publicity, but it was heavily implied that it was a white evangelical cult. The promo shot they had was the last supper homage with the leader and his family, pretty much just saying white evangelicals.

Right as the game starts up, you are sure that is not the case, it's not christian, it's not white supremacy, it's just a (possibly) magical cult.

I'd be more interested in the former than the latter.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/27/17165252/far-cry-5-story-characters I know it's Polygon, but there were a lot of articles at the time, and this one sums up how I feel as well.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Rock My Socks! posted:

Which Far Cry had the completely baffling Jeep Liberty product placement? I think that was the last one I played

Yes lol that was Farcry 2. Assist African despots in style with the new Jeep Liberty. It's 3.6L Pentastar V6 and luxurious interior will make even the most aggresive guard posts a breeze*!
*Prior results no guarantee of future performance.
But yeah they had Wranglers too, and one mission I believe you could even subvert in order to get a blinged out, gold-grilled Liberty as the reward. I have no idea who the hell in Chrysler thought that was a good idea, but it's good for people who need(?) to simulate vehicular homicide by Jeep.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jeep Liberty, when you need to run over the same guards you just ran over 2 minutes ago and 2 minutes before that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol:

2 minutes seems generous tbh though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

QuarkJets posted:

I'm glad that they stopped releasing banjo kazooie games, that entire series is stupid and not fun

It's fun when you're twelve and have all the time in the world to collect all that poo poo. It's not fun when you are in your twenties and see it for the busy work it is. Which is why most people have turned on the Rareware collect-a-thons and it is now a popular opinion.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Turbinosamente posted:

It's fun when you're twelve and have all the time in the world to collect all that poo poo. It's not fun when you are in your twenties and see it for the busy work it is. Which is why most people have turned on the Rareware collect-a-thons and it is now a popular opinion.

That started with Donkey Kong 64 which even 20 years ago was too much (and was called on at the time). It was like Rare decided to gently caress with people by having you run through levels FIVE TIMES with five different characters for 100% plus a camera that was broken if you ever tried to walk on a narrow platform.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Justin Godscock posted:

That started with Donkey Kong 64 which even 20 years ago was too much (and was called on at the time). It was like Rare decided to gently caress with people by having you run through levels FIVE TIMES with five different characters for 100% plus a camera that was broken if you ever tried to walk on a narrow platform.

And having to beat the original donkey Kong twice, with one of those attempts being on one life, to actually beat the game.

Some of the core gameplay was a lot of fun, and I remember liking the boss battles, but gently caress that game was overstuffed.

Jet Force Gemini was also pretty over the top, but that only had three characters and the shooter gameplay kept things moving a bit more.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jfg at least had the decency to have the collect a thon start after you go through all the worlds once and see the majority of the game by that point unlike dk64 which made running through the levels with everyone pretty much mandatory to progress

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh I know DK 64 sucks once the intro rap song ends, it was one of the first games I traded into a shop for something better. Banjo Tooie alone still has at least two sets of collectibles, one character to swap to, and another one to transform the main character into different forms, but at least you only had to get most of the collectibles to get to the end and not all. Still a lot of poo poo that I don't want to trudge through again and a big reason why I never played Conker's Bad Fur Day and just watched the cutscenes on the internet years ago. Strip away the shock humor and it's functionally the same as Kazooie.

Jet Force Gemini's main problem is finding a control scheme that isn't awkward as poo poo to use. No idea if that got fixed for Rare Replay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The recent steam release reminds me- the only thing stopping Red Dead 2 from being the worst game of the decade is that Brink came out in 2011.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Look at all these pleb unpopular opinions let me show you how it's done.

I 100% DK64 as a kid, twice, and I liked it. My favorite is lanky kong and it's criminal how little representation he has seen since.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

Look at all these pleb unpopular opinions let me show you how it's done.

I 100% DK64 as a kid, twice, and I liked it. My favorite is lanky kong and it's criminal how little representation he has seen since.

This is something that I'd expect to read from a person who was locked in their basement subsisting on rats and rainwater with nothing but Donkey Kong 64 to distract them

So, sorry about your childhood Olaf

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

This is something that I'd expect to read from a person who was locked in their basement subsisting on rats and rainwater with nothing but Donkey Kong 64 to distract them

So, sorry about your childhood Olaf

i'd rather play with the rats

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I also like dk64 enough to beat it multiple times. Theres a lot of really fun stuff in it. And beaver bother.

Chunky Kong was cliche but deserved better than being forgotten with Lanky.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Command & Conquer has better music than Command & Conquer Red Alert

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Jet Force Gemini's main problem is finding a control scheme that isn't awkward as poo poo to use. No idea if that got fixed for Rare Replay.

They patched in new controls and the game immediately goes from "holy mother of god how does one play this" to "hey this actually ok but not worth finishing in this day and age"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Command & Conquer has better music than Command & Conquer Red Alertevery other video game

The only soundtracks that even come close are the RA2 one and Risk of Rain.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Barudak posted:

They patched in new controls and the game immediately goes from "holy mother of god how does one play this" to "hey this actually ok but not worth finishing in this day and age"

I did find one that was tolerable on N64 but I can't remember which one it was and I've had no real ambition to return to the game anyways. Though I remember it being fun at the time? I still find the opinion flip on Rare games funny though, and wonder whether it's because we all grew up or because every one started digging deeper into retro games and found more interesting "hidden gems" than the super popular games. Rare did a lot for the N64's popularity after all.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The recent steam release reminds me- the only thing stopping Red Dead 2 from being the worst game of the decade is that Brink came out in 2011.

Rdr2 is absolute proof that a video game can be fully up its own rear end. Hot garbage.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

big nipples big life posted:

Rdr2 is absolute proof that a video game can be fully up its own rear end. Hot garbage.

Yes, but The Water Tastes Like Wine proved it first

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The YouTube guy that reviews games sitting on a yoga ball did a really good review of rdr2

It's got easily the best story and characters in any video game, and the world itself is unbelievably well crafted. Almost every new system that is introduced works well.

But, the core game is rockstar standard fare and it's really starting to show.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I have no idea how good the story or characters are because every single tiny loving action is so tedious that I deleted the game in the first town.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I used to feel it was an unpopular opinion but it turns out I was just part of the silent majority; Shenmue games are bad and the majority of consumers dont want them.

Turbinosamente posted:

I did find one that was tolerable on N64 but I can't remember which one it was and I've had no real ambition to return to the game anyways. Though I remember it being fun at the time? I still find the opinion flip on Rare games funny though, and wonder whether it's because we all grew up or because every one started digging deeper into retro games and found more interesting "hidden gems" than the super popular games. Rare did a lot for the N64's popularity after all.

It wasnt terrible at the time; nobody had two sticks then and the only twin stick shooters in that console generation was a mode approximately 0 people used in Goldeneye and an Aliens Resurrection game for the PS1 that also supported mouse input.

I think the reappreciation of Rare games that era is people goin "I dont only own an N64 and must defend all my choices to the death anymore"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the only games on the n64 worth defending are harvest moon, ogre battle, paper mario, goldeneye, and possibly mario 64 if you're into historical signifiance

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

the only games on the n64 worth defending are harvest moon, ogre battle, paper mario, goldeneye, and possibly mario 64 if you're into historical signifiance

I also liked Mario Kart and the surprisingly fun Star Wars Pod Racer game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Harvest Moon 64? jesus christ what is wrong with you play Stardew Valley

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Smash bros and Mario Kart where all solid entries in their series. Not that I'd go and install a n64 emulator to play those anymore, but then that can be said about almost all old console gaming: almost everything good has already been rehashed for the contemporary systems.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

and goldeneye is in spite of the nonsensical controls

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The White Dragon posted:

I am not into historical significance then because I just can't get into Mario 64 at all; I'm almost to the point of just selling the cart. As it is my N64 exists these days as an emergency Pokemon nostalgia console with occasional bits of Robotron 64.

Uh let's see is Super Mario World > SMB3 still an unpopular opinion?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PinheadSlim posted:

I also liked Mario Kart and the surprisingly fun Star Wars Pod Racer game.

mario kart was pretty good, yeah. definitely a good implementation of the analog stick in an experimental era, nice soundtrack, and so on. but you can't play as koopa troopa and that is inexcusable

Rutibex posted:

Harvest Moon 64? jesus christ what is wrong with you play Stardew Valley

stardew valley is O.K. it's a harvest moon game mechanically, but honestly it's barely any deeper than harvest moon snes. subsequent updates have added more on top, but in terms of deep/hidden content, it's pretty lacking, and what it does have is neither very hidden nor satisfying, and it doesn't have one-third the amount of unique daily character text as you got in hm64.

e: addendum majora's mask is pretty good too but it has the problem of most 3D zelda games where you spend more time grappling with the controls and looking for the hidden pixels than you do actually figuring out sequences and exploring. story/setting-wise it's my favorite zelda game but no game with gyorg can be considered good by any measure

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 8, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Turbinosamente posted:

I am not into historical significance then because I just can't get into Mario 64 at all; I'm almost to the point of just selling the cart. As it is my N64 exists these days as an emergency Pokemon nostalgia console with occasional bits of Robotron 64.

Uh let's see is Super Mario World > SMB3 still an unpopular opinion?

Even when I was a kid I couldn't get into Mario 64. I know it "revolutionized" 3d cameras and controls, but that didn't make it feel any less weird to me at the time. But like I've said before, I hate 3d platformers.

The White Dragon posted:

stardew valley is O.K. it's a harvest moon game mechanically, but honestly it's barely any deeper than harvest moon snes. subsequent updates have added more on top, but in terms of deep/hidden content, it's pretty lacking, and what it does have is neither very hidden nor satisfying, and it doesn't have one-third the amount of unique daily character text as you got in hm64.

You gotta learn Rutibex is just a shitposter lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PinheadSlim posted:

You gotta learn Rutibex is just a shitposter lol

i know but we're similar in that we shitpost but also sometimes post poo poo in earnest

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The final boss of DK64 was actually pretty fun too, almost enough to forget how tedious everything between that and the DK Rap was.

I feel like that game kinda killed collectathons and Banjo-Tooie was a conscious move away that was almost more Metroidvania. I did like in lategame you could travel between almost all of the worlds without touching the hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

I have always hated rare games, DKC is the only game i ever traded away because i thought it was boring as gently caress and didnt warrant a second playthrough