Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Looks like AJ got a bollocking in the corner for trying to slug it with Ruiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

every time he gets confident he gets caught with a counter

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Joshua's plan seems to be working. Jab away and clench when it gets close in.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Seems like a big ring for him to move around in too. I don't know if Ruiz will ever really pin him down at this rate.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It seems like it's a question of "can Joshua stay alert longer than ruiz can stay unfatigued". As we move towards the second half it's more and more likely Joshua will.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ruiz needs to fight a little dirty. Joshua is a mental midget and a couple questionable shots would get in his head incredibly bad.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ruiz has such a good chin. how did that hook not even wobble him

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ruiz made of steel

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fighting out of the clinches and not letting the ref reset them lets ruiz get to Joshua.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
gently caress yeah here we go!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Ruiz knows he has to go for a KO now. Belts gone if it goes to the cards.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Box AJ you poo poo come on lad keep it up I like you really

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

AJ poking his way to victory

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have to admit, I do enjoy good out boxing. I'd like to see him sit down on some straight rights, but still.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AJ clearly won that fight but it didn’t really change my opinion of him at all.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

been hanging around wlad too much smh

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
What a boring fight, ugh. Admittedly I am bitter cause I was rooting for Ruiz, but still. Not my aesthetic.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No offence to the good people in this thread who have presumably never seen a fight before but what the gently caress were you guys watching?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Completely for got about this fight was early and was doing poo poo outside. Guess I didn't really miss that great of a fight?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well at the very least Ruiz didn't go out like Buster Douglas did. He finished on his feet and had some moments. I think he could be back in the mix again.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Seems like AJ won but I had to jump around to different filez sites to watch it

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That was boring as gently caress and the Mexican announcers were doing their best to be as frustrated as possible for something to happen.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Digital Jedi posted:

Completely for got about this fight was early and was doing poo poo outside. Guess I didn't really miss that great of a fight?

basically just joshua boxing at range for 12 rounds with a handful of moments where he got overconfident after landing big shots and clipped. nothing major in the hurt department either way.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I don't think anyone will be clamoring for a rubber match any time soon.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Joshua made Ruiz look like a fool.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Uff, I couldn’t have been more wrong. He might win vs Wilder if he fights like that.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Torquemada posted:

Uff, I couldn’t have been more wrong. He might win vs Wilder if he fights like that.

I don't think AJ-or anyone other than peak Tyson Fury for that matter-is capable of doing that to Wilder for 12 rounds.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Torquemada posted:

Not to take away from it but he (smartly) coasted on a height & footwork advantage all night. The height advantage is gone against Wilder

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Fuuuuck I forgot this was in saudi and thought it was tonight I was hoping I wouldnt have to choose between it and UFC. Was it good or did AJ stomp Ruiz?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Macksy posted:

Fuuuuck I forgot this was in saudi and thought it was tonight I was hoping I wouldnt have to choose between it and UFC. Was it good or did AJ stomp Ruiz?

As fought exactly the way a tall ranger fighter should fight against a short guy who can crack if he isn’t concerned with looking impressive. Very calmly outboxed and moved away from Ruiz while making no attempt to push the action.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AJ fought smart but he was in a huge ring against a fat guy way shorter than him. There’s not much about that that’s indicative of how he could fight against the other top guys besides that he’s shown he can be patient for an entire fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AJ made easy work out of fight that should have been easy work. It’s nothing more than that, but a lot of peoples doubted he could do it.

Bad Haircut AJ is one of the best fighters in the division

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I assume AJ's next fight will be the rematch against DIllian Whyte, who seems to have really regressed imo, and then Usyk or Michael Hunter later next year. Then maybe, just maybe the winner or WIlder-Fury 2 in 2021.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
AJ seemed skittish and scared throughout the fight, made 0 effort to do anything but poke and run. Fair play but very boring, not at all like the supremely confident pre-Ruiz AJ at all.

I don’t think it mattered that Ruiz weighed more this time. He wasn’t going to be able to do much against that super cautious version of AJ.

Will be very interesting to see what AJ looks like from here on out in his career. Was this approach just a short term necessity to get over the hump, or is it the new style for him?

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 8, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

AJ seemed skittish and scared throughout the fight, made 0 effort to do anything but poke and run. Fair play but very boring, not at all like the supremely confident pre-Ruiz AJ at all.

I don’t think it mattered that Ruiz weighed more this time. He wasn’t going to be able to do much against that super cautious version of AJ.

Will be very interesting to see what AJ looks like from here on out in his career. Was this approach just a short term necessity to get over the hump, or is it the new style for him?

I do think that that this is always how AJ was going to okay this one. Ruiz just flat out doesn’t have the assets to deal with that gameplan and this was a must-win fight for Joshua. Another loss here would end his career imo, so there was no need to do anything other than the easiest win possible. I imagine in future fights he’ll play a bit more normal, but he’ll probably keep some of the outboxing.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

MMMs new username posted:

I do think that that this is always how AJ was going to okay this one. Ruiz just flat out doesn’t have the assets to deal with that gameplan and this was a must-win fight for Joshua. Another loss here would end his career imo, so there was no need to do anything other than the easiest win possible. I imagine in future fights he’ll play a bit more normal, but he’ll probably keep some of the outboxing.

It's hard to argue against that. If he lost this fight, he loses the big money fights against Wilder and/or Fury.

Also, what the gently caress was Ruiz thinking coming in so heavy? If he lost 15 pounds instead of gaining 15 pounds it would have made a massive difference

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Fun fight to watch. I'm an AJ fan. I was on the edge of my seat as every time he mixed it up with Ruiz it felt like he might get dropped by a stray hook. He was dancing around at distance and it was just a test of if we could keep it up. I thought he was gonna get caught but he managed to stick to the plan.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll say this, Ruiz got a big payday for very little punishment; I hope he can make the most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ruiz had nothing in this fight except being fat.
No hip, all his punches were on straight line, no neck.