Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Mozzarella Thunderbird would be the solution to that problem, if you want a local client that can notify you (instead of web notifications).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Oh wow, what a surprise. A firefox update that broke my tabs-at-bottom tweak.

Thanks guys.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh wow, what a surprise. A firefox update that broke my tabs-at-bottom tweak.

Thanks guys.

not an empty quote

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is there anyone who greets updates with "Wow, what new features will they add" rather than "Ahh poo poo, what are they going to break with this one"?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

me. Although a couple times last year all my saved tabs vanished to the land of wind and ghosts, which was annoying but also kind of a relief.
:woop:picture in picture!:woop:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 4, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't really "understand" the Picture in Picture. I mean, like, I understand the purpose but what kind of hardware are you on? A single 1080p monitor? Some dinky 1366x768 laptop?

I only have a single 2560x1440 monitor and that's perfectly fine to split my screen 50-50 between 2 browser windows. One for watching YouTube/Twitch or VLC and then surf the internet in the other window.

According to this website Firefox is roughly 8% of internet users. Presumably power users / enthusiasts for the most part. Who, I imagine, also mostly have better-than-average hardware? Maybe that's niave of me?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Picture in picture lets you float a video over say a game. So you can do your weekly raid that you've done a million times while watching a youtube video.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sab669 posted:

I don't really "understand" the Picture in Picture. I mean, like, I understand the purpose but what kind of hardware are you on? A single 1080p monitor? Some dinky 1366x768 laptop?

I only have a single 2560x1440 monitor and that's perfectly fine to split my screen 50-50 between 2 browser windows. One for watching YouTube/Twitch or VLC and then surf the internet in the other window.

According to this website Firefox is roughly 8% of internet users. Presumably power users / enthusiasts for the most part. Who, I imagine, also mostly have better-than-average hardware? Maybe that's niave of me?
It's just nice to move a video off the browser window.

I also probably do not have as nice a PC as you do, so maybe that's it also.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

phosdex posted:

Picture in picture lets you float a video over say a game. So you can do your weekly raid that you've done a million times while watching a youtube video.

Yeah so much better than fixing all the UI deficits that require 3rd party tricks and manual application of CSS scripts to solve.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

FRINGE posted:

Yeah so much better than fixing all the UI deficits that require 3rd party tricks and manual application of CSS scripts to solve.

Hey now, Firefox has been a great tool for refreshing my coding skills. Where else will I get that opportunity?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Just put videos over those.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Market share has nothing to do with how much something is used, it is only says something about how many new instances of something (in this case, browsers) starts being used in the last three months.

Also, even if they did measure the right things (which we don't know, because they might as well have pulled those numbers out of their rear end for how well their sampling systems are documented), they would only be measuring stuff on the public web, not the deep web and everything behind corporate firewalls.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Picture-in-picture is the best new Firefox feature in a long time. I can live with you being forced to have tabs on top for a few days if that means that I can have picture-in-picture.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
PiP is a cool new feature, I can't wait to see how long it takes Youtube to figure out how to 'accidentally' break it

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is there anyone who greets updates with "Wow, what new features will they add" rather than "Ahh poo poo, what are they going to break with this one"?

Me, I only have Ublock Origin installed and a userchrome that removes the min tab width.

I see now Firefox is offering to generate secure passwords when I create accounts, but not when I try to change my password.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

duz posted:

Me, I only have Ublock Origin installed and a userchrome that removes the min tab width.

You can just set browser.tabs.tabMinWidth to whatever you like instead of using userChrome.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

phosdex posted:

Does it? I'm on 71b, and I had to enable PIP in about :config. In doing so, I noticed that it wasn't resizable and wouldn't stay on top of firefox itself, let alone other programs. Coming off Safari, it's pretty disappointing. Are there switches for that, too? I know there were a few other options, but it wasn't clear what any of them did, besides "probably adds a button somewhere?".

f.e.: Shockingly, both of those complaints fixed in 72b2. Great! Now it's better than Safari's, because you can put the PIP window wherever you'd like, rather than just in the corners.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 5, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Other posted:

PiP is a cool new feature, I can't wait to see how long it takes Youtube to figure out how to 'accidentally' break it

Chrome's had PiP for like the past year.

Google is totally ok with things that make you want to keep watching videos. It's ad-blocking they hate.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can just set browser.tabs.tabMinWidth to whatever you like instead of using userChrome.

Yeah that's set, I've just been too lazy to delete the file.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Does anyone have a CSS hack to hide the hamburger button on 71? The one at https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx doesn't seem to work anymore. Or rather it does, but it also hides the search box and any neighboring buttons you put up there.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

D. Ebdrup posted:

and everything behind corporate firewalls.
Thats true, theres definitely a lot more Chrome and IE/Edge in use than are reported.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Knormal posted:

Does anyone have a CSS hack to hide the hamburger button on 71? The one at https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx doesn't seem to work anymore. Or rather it does, but it also hides the search box and any neighboring buttons you put up there.

Looking at the code they use:
code:
#PanelUI-button {
  visibility: collapse !important;
}
I have no idea why it's causing you a problem. It works correctly here to just hide the hamburger button (and the "what's new" button). If you want to make it slightly more specific you can set it to #PanelUI-menu-button instead of #PanelUI-button.

(Technically I'm on 72, in case they made a change and then reverted it or something.)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dylan16807 posted:

Looking at the code they use:
code:
#PanelUI-button {
  visibility: collapse !important;
}
I have no idea why it's causing you a problem. It works correctly here to just hide the hamburger button (and the "what's new" button). If you want to make it slightly more specific you can set it to #PanelUI-menu-button instead of #PanelUI-button.

(Technically I'm on 72, in case they made a change and then reverted it or something.)
Thanks, that got it. For the record here's what I got with the other code:

Versus yours:

The new window and new tab buttons and the whole search bar were in the dropdown before. I've had my new window button in that spot for ages and having to shift muscle memory over by one was a pain. That extra panel line on the far right wasn't there before, but that's no big deal. Mine behaving differently might be a KDE/GTK thing, there's probably not a lot of KDE users with buttons there in anyone's test groups.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Cool, the PiP feature seems to correct old 4:3 videos on YouTube that are the wrong aspect ratio and are all stretched out. I always thought it was a source problem but I guess the YouTube player just sucks with older uploads and defaults to stretching stuff for some reason.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Coxswain Balls posted:

Cool, the PiP feature seems to correct old 4:3 videos on YouTube that are the wrong aspect ratio and are all stretched out. I always thought it was a source problem but I guess the YouTube player just sucks with older uploads and defaults to stretching stuff for some reason.

The youtube player is weird in general. I get audio aliasing artifacts (the scratchy sound that those cheap-rear end recorded greeting cards make) when I play via the web, but youtubedl + mpv the audio sounds normal. I'm trying to figure out how to intercept the audio path to do a byte-for-byte capture for analysis but every time I try I end up with a recording that plays back perfectly.

most bizarre bug I've seen.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Harik posted:

The youtube player is weird in general. I get audio aliasing artifacts (the scratchy sound that those cheap-rear end recorded greeting cards make) when I play via the web, but youtubedl + mpv the audio sounds normal. I'm trying to figure out how to intercept the audio path to do a byte-for-byte capture for analysis but every time I try I end up with a recording that plays back perfectly.

most bizarre bug I've seen.

I've had that happen when the youtube player was somehow set to play over 100% volume, try checking what the volume is and resetting it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of youtube audio - what I would give for the site to actually normalise its sound levels across videos.

One video needs to be played at max volume to hear anything, the next blows out the windows at 15%.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Desuwa posted:

I've had that happen when the youtube player was somehow set to play over 100% volume, try checking what the volume is and resetting it.

That's a good call but I'd already checked all the stages for something over-volume with no luck.

I suspect it's a frequency mismatch somewhere along the line, converting 48/44.1 without doing the proper filtering will result in aliasing. That would explain why mpv or vlc playing the downloaded file works correctly, since it's not incompetently coded.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Firefox updated and Stylus lost all my styles. Again.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wheany posted:

Firefox updated and Stylus lost all my styles. Again.
Use tampermonkey with the javascripts that userstyles.org also lets you download?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Is there any functional difference between tampermonkey and violentmonkey?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is there any functional difference between tampermonkey and violentmonkey?
ViolentMonkey used to have issues with its privacy, but that appears to no longer be the case. There have also been accusations of obfuscated code against ViolentMonkey, but I don't know how to interpret that given that they don't link to the obfuscated part, that it could just be smart coding (use of just-in-time generation as well as minification are permitted), or that AMO now bans obfuscated code.
TamperMonkey is effectively-closed source, but is also the most optimized in terms of fasts/second that I've been able to suss out with some very limited testing. TamperMonkey being closed-source is less than ideal, but for what it's worth the developer is German and has a company which is subject to GDPR with respect to TamperMonkey - so that's something?
GreaseMonkey is fully opensource, but doesn't have a very fast update schedule - though it's still kept up-to-date, and is probably the oldest as I believe it's the original.

EDIT: There is apparently a new API that the various monkey scripts can benefit from using (in multiple ways, including easier sandboxing), and there's even a newly-written closed-source(?) browser extension which takes advantage of them.

EDIT 2: FireMonkey is not yet ready for prime-time, it seems.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 8, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
oddball one: I go to c-spam all the time. It's in my history, I have it bookmarked, I have the bookmark tagged with the keyword "c-spam". If I type it in and hit enter FF takes me to google which suggests c-span.

Is there a way to force it to prioritize bookmark keywords & history over that sweet sweet revenue sharing deal that no longer exists?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Harik posted:

oddball one: I go to c-spam all the time. It's in my history, I have it bookmarked, I have the bookmark tagged with the keyword "c-spam". If I type it in and hit enter FF takes me to google which suggests c-span.

Is there a way to force it to prioritize bookmark keywords & history over that sweet sweet revenue sharing deal that no longer exists?

If you type a * first it'll prioritize bookmarks

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

astral posted:

If you type a * first it'll prioritize bookmarks

That's a good workaround, thanks. The behavior is utterly braindead though - it sees it, shows up #2 in the dropdown so it already knows that it's exactly what I want but forces a web search anyway.

E: Nope. *c-spam just google searches for *c-span.

I've got it in tags and keywords and the title and history but firefox really REALLY wants to get a referral payment instead.

Harik fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 9, 2019

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Assuming I'm understanding what you want, toggle keyword.enabled.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know how I can move this new Menu button somewhere else?

I'd prefer to have it back being the left most button but I'd take it being literally anywhere else but there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Can you remove it using the customise tab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You can't remove it or move it from the customize tab.