Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

Just got out of this movie, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A bit of a random question about an early scene for you film-heads out there: What was the significance (if any) of Blanc's piano key tapping in the initial interrogation? Or more specifically, was there any purpose, either symbolic or in-fiction (e.g. in response to a particular kind of statement), beyond making his presence known to the family/audience and/or throwing them off their stories?

One review I read said it was Blanc's cue for Elliott to ask the witness what time they arrived at the party but I don't remember if that's entirely correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I love little details like this:

https://twitter.com/steveyedlin/status/1203374687444594689

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The last shot is so good.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ketchup vs catsup posted:

One review I read said it was Blanc's cue for Elliott to ask the witness what time they arrived at the party but I don't remember if that's entirely correct.

It is, whenever he did it, the detective would immediately ask.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Everyone posted:

Haven't even seen the movie but, "Bond is Boring. Benoit Blanc is what it's at" needs to be a slogan.

I just saw this and I agree completely. This was a very good movie and I hope gets another with a new cast except a returning Daniel Craig,

Also as with everything Toni Collette is fantastic in whatever she does

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gatts posted:

Also as with everything Toni Collette is fantastic in whatever she does

I haven't seen her in anything else but I was blown away by how good she was. e: Oh, she was in 6th sense! She's great in that.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Pick posted:

I haven't seen her in anything else but I was blown away by how good she was. e: Oh, she was in 6th sense! She's great in that.

Looking for that collete goodness is as Good as an excuse as any to catch " Hereditary " .

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've heard of that movie is good and that she's excellent in it, but unfortunately it's not really my type.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
The Sixth Sense?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Was hoping for a murder mystery with a colorful failfamily a la Bluth and Tenenbaum and got it. Looking forward to rewatching.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

I've heard of that movie is good and that she's excellent in it, but unfortunately it's not really my type.

The very first movie I saw her in was Muriel’s Wedding. She’s had other works like United States of Tara but I never really followed her works until a couple years ago. She’s very good and is able to stretch herself and her performances.

She’s in Velvet Buzzsaw, Little Miss Sunshine, Hereditary, and if you check her IMDB she has a huge body of work. She’s very prolific. Often she’s a side character rather than main but check it out.

Also I give credit to Ana De Armas, hope she continues an upward career trajectory.

Edit: regarding Toni Collette

quote:

At the age of eleven, she showed her phenomenal acting skills when she faked appendicitis out of boredom and longing for attention; her act was so convincing that doctors had to remove her appendix, even though the test showed nothing was wrong with it

Per IMDB

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 8, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Toni Collette is so intense in Hereditary that it was nice to see her just be kind of a goofy idiot here. She has very good range.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just came back from this and man, this movie slaps. Tight as hell plotting, killer script, amazing cast, and great messaging/theme. Laugh out loud funny to boot. This is one of my favorite movies of the year, I’m absolutely buzzing to see it again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When I saw the movie a second time a few days ago, I was paying attention to the reflections in the characters' glasses and noticed that everything looked pretty natural. It's cool to see how they did it. Nice touch.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Colonel Whitey posted:

great messaging/theme

I've been wrestling with this since I saw it a few days ago. I enjoyed the straight down the middle plot and characters and mystery, but this is a film that tries to have politics without being political and its pants fall down every time it brings it up in some of the clumsiest ways imaginable. I genuinely can't come up with any thing this movie is trying to say (and it CLEARLY is trying to say something) other than thing: good and thing: bad, and that's not enough to carry an episode of South Park let alone a feature film. So I ask:

what is this movie's theme?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Despite their varying places on the spectrum from "well-meaning liberal" to "MAGA chud," rich white people will ultimately band together in a show of class/racial solidarity when their status is threatened????

The movie is not subtle about this.

e: Also what the gently caress are you talking about "tries to have politics without being political," I have no idea how you could possibly come to that conclusion

Arist fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 8, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: meant to edit

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Arist posted:

Despite their varying places on the spectrum from "well-meaning liberal" to "MAGA chud," rich white people will ultimately band together in a show of class/racial solidarity when their status is threatened????

The movie is not subtle about this.

Yeah, that's all I've been able to come up with too and that's why clumsy/clunky is the best I can do to describe Knives Out. That poo poo is in your face text in the worst possible way. Dial it back and let it breathe without putting up big signs that say THIS IS THE MEANING and you have a much better movie. It's so embarrassingly blatant that I think I must be missing something.

It's the Game of Thrones guy, "themes are for book reports" rear end writing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

weekly font posted:

Yeah, that's all I've been able to come up with too and that's why clumsy/clunky is the best I can do to describe Knives Out. That poo poo is in your face text in the worst possible way. Dial it back and let it breathe without putting up big signs that say THIS IS THE MEANING and you have a much better movie. It's so embarrassingly blatant that I think I must be missing something.

That's uhhhh not what you said

Also subtlety is overrated

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Arist posted:

That's uhhhh not what you said

Also subtlety is overrated

1) Fair, I just double featured Ready or Not and Midsommar and I've had a few! I really want to believe Knives Out is doing more than being one of those insufferable neolib twitter accounts like OhNoSheTwitnt or that lovely horse account.

2) nah

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Themes don't need to be subtle, and there's absolutely value in a movie grabbing the audience by the collar and shouting "THIS IS YOU, MOTHERFUCKER!"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I guess that's where our paths will diverge. The people who need the guillotine won't see this movie anyway, and it comes off incredibly patronizing to the people who already get it, or worse, have lived it. When I roll it around that's where I think I have to be missing something!

For example, is the movie supposed to make us think Christopher Plummer's character is a selfless, good man for sacrificing himself for Marta or are we supposed to think that he's the dumbest motherfucker of the entire family for being so dedicated to being a white savior he kills himself for no reason? If its the former lol, if it's the latter the movie doesn't do very much with it. That's where I'm coming at with clumsy. It's a good Poirot knock off with some great performances chained to its own smugness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The movie is about what happens when the chips are down, sure, but even simpler with a message just too pure for this saucy ironic internet. It's "be a good person".

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

weekly font posted:

. Dial it back and let it breathe without putting up big signs that say THIS IS THE MEANING and you have a much better movie.

Why would this be better?

E:

Pick posted:

The movie is about what happens when the chips are down, sure, but even simpler with a message just too pure for this saucy ironic internet. It's "be a good person".

It’s this. Considering how few stories there are with this message it’s a valid and valuable one, even if it’s extremely simple elementary school stuff. Even though we learn poo poo like “treat others as you want to be treated” when we’re five years old, most people don’t live that way as adults and need someone to bang it back into their heads with the subtlety of a cast iron skillet.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 8, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Honestly, it's a neat twist on the genre even if the message isn't too deep.

I was 100% expecting a Westing Game twist where Harlan was alive and masterminded it all somehow with the prize being his inheritance. And I wasn't looking forward to that, so I really liked that I got it wrong. There's something to be said for part of the twist being that the rich, old, eccentric genius was actually a petty, dumb narcissist who died for no reason because he wouldn't listen to the woman he so claimed to want to save but really wanted to use against his family for revenge. Like Benoit said, Marta won because she was better than the game, which is kind of a nice twist to how the usual mystery would have played out with Harlan as a master predictor.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Given that literally the last word about plummer's character is "he would have been fine if he just listened to you" I'm pretty sure the movie is firmly in "he's a dumbass more concerned with sating his egotistical need to save Marta" territory.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

weekly font posted:

For example, is the movie supposed to make us think Christopher Plummer's character is a selfless, good man for sacrificing himself for Marta or are we supposed to think that he's the dumbest motherfucker of the entire family for being so dedicated to being a white savior he kills himself for no reason?

The movie's main idea about his character is that he was too fond of doing things dramatically and making everything a game. He'd already chosen the most dramatic timing to make all these huge family decisions, so when Marta tells him he'll be dead in 10 minutes, he starts making it into a detective story and steamrolls over her as she panics. A touch of the 'white savior' thing, mixed with other kinds of nonsense. His personality is less core to the political themes than the rest of the family's, and is more there to enable the detective tropes which are the other driving force of the movie.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I honestly don't think, given what we know about the rest of his family, his primary motivation was anything other than protecting his plan to hurt them. The Chrisses in this film being so inherently charming did a lot of heavy lifting, even if it was more obvious with Ransom.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god a lot of you are bad at watching movies. He likes Marta as a person and this is not only made clear over and over but the end of the movie with the portrait underscores the weird but genuine connection that they had.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

weekly font posted:

For example, is the movie supposed to make us think Christopher Plummer's character is a selfless, good man for sacrificing himself for Marta or are we supposed to think that he's the dumbest motherfucker of the entire family for being so dedicated to being a white savior he kills himself for no reason? If its the former lol, if it's the latter the movie doesn't do very much with it. That's where I'm coming at with clumsy. It's a good Poirot knock off with some great performances chained to its own smugness.

It's both.

Though it's less that he's "the dumbest motherfucker of the entire family" and more that he's addicted to drama and feels like, if he's going to die, he wants to do it in the most outlandish-for-a-murder-writer manner possible. Once he believes he's dying he bulldozes over Marta but is also doing so from a genuine place of trying to keep her and her family from getting in trouble.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He and Ransom share game-plotting as a characteristic, as the movie says to you with words.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

He and Ransom share game-plotting as a characteristic, as the movie says to you with words.

Look, why would anyone pay attention to the actual text of the film when they could be spending that time writing elaborate fanfiction about how Rian Johnson is a bad man operating in bad faith based on a two year-old meme instead.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arist posted:

Themes don't need to be subtle, and there's absolutely value in a movie grabbing the audience by the collar and shouting "THIS IS YOU, MOTHERFUCKER!"

And this, whether you like it or not, is what you're going to get with a Rian Johnson movie. He's gonna take a simple and clear theme--"violence begets cycles of violence", "one must learn from the past", "the good will inherit the Earth"--and then he's going to craft an extended metaphor around that theme using a genre narrative. Johnson's brilliance never lies in the subtlety of his narrative rhetoric, but rather in how carefully and thoroughly he deploys it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Polaron posted:

It's both.

Though it's less that he's "the dumbest motherfucker of the entire family" and more that he's addicted to drama and feels like, if he's going to die, he wants to do it in the most outlandish-for-a-murder-writer manner possible. Once he believes he's dying he bulldozes over Marta but is also doing so from a genuine place of trying to keep her and her family from getting in trouble.

Still haven't seen the movie, but I lack the willpower for self control and have read the hell out of the spoilers in this thread. So,

Figure Harlan had been nebulously disappointed/disgusted by his family for a long time. Meeting Marta, who was a genuinely decent, kind person really crystallized his negative feelings for them. Plus he's a complete drama emperor who had to make a huge splash about rewarding her and punishing them, which is what ultimately got him killed.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pick posted:

Oh my god a lot of you are bad at watching movies.

Sleeveless posted:

Look, why would anyone pay attention to the actual text of the film when they could be spending that time writing elaborate fanfiction about how Rian Johnson is a bad man operating in bad faith based on a two year-old meme instead.

It’s fun to go on movie forums to not discuss them

lol

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Everyone posted:

Plus he's a complete drama emperor who had to make a huge splash about rewarding her and punishing them, which is what ultimately got him killed.

This is a fine summary, but in addition, Harlan is an incredibly successful murder mystery author who surrounds himself with the trappings of those mysteries, so he's not about to miss the opportunity to author one final mystery.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Everyone posted:

Plus he's a complete drama emperor who had to make a huge splash about rewarding her and punishing them, which is what ultimately got him killed.

It’s completely ridiculous that he hires a private eye to tail his son in law, dramatically threatens him, then writes a letter to his daughter in invisible ink. But it pairs quite well with a guy who has a giant mural of prop knives and slits his own throat as part of a performance when he could have just written a suicide note saying “I’m killing myself with morphine byeeee”

Makes me wish we got a little more of that side of the character cause Plummer can be a good ham when the role calls for it. It’s a role Vincent Price would have played if this came out 40 years ago.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 9, 2019

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The thing about Harlan is that if he'd just shut up about cutting people out of the will instead of dramatically rubbing in their faces, none of this would have happened.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Pick posted:

Oh my god a lot of you are bad at watching movies. He likes Marta as a person and this is not only made clear over and over but the end of the movie with the portrait underscores the weird but genuine connection that they had.

While this is true, he didn't like her enough to just listen to her, which would have saved his life and protected her completely. But I guess he loved drama and was a bit too clever for his own good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

garycoleisgod posted:

While this is true, he didn't like her enough to just listen to her, which would have saved his life and protected her completely. But I guess he loved drama and was a bit too clever for his own good.

Eh, was it really that he didn't like her enough? She told him that he would be dead before the ambulance arrived and he decided that he couldn't risk her being cut out of the will and/or her mother getting deported.